PDA

View Full Version : Versatility A Key Component of an NFL Offensive Lineman

oregonpackfan
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
There are many factors in becoming a successful offensive lineman in the NFL--size, strength, foot quickness, intelligence, etc. More coaches are finding that versatility is becoming a key component for a successful offensive lineman.

This article follows former Oregon Duck offensive lineman Max Unger who may start for the Seattle Seahawks as a rookie.

Unger started his first two years at Oregon at left tackle. He played center his final two years. The Seahawks are now playing him at left guard.

Being able to play all five offensive line positions was one of Unger's selling points for the NFL draft. Here is the article:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/08/former_duck_max_unger_in_the_m.html

Tarlam!
08-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks for posting, OPF! Nice write up about a forme Duck.

Your love and loyalty for the Ducks is the stuff of legend here at PR, but I need to know do you belong to any Ducks forums and if so, do you post Packers stuff on there??

:P

Tarlam!
08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Not sure if it has been discussed, but I found this newsworthy:

Veteran guard Mike Wahle (shoulder injury) was released after failing a physical

Apologies if I am bringing up old news, but TT made the right decision all those years ago. I hope he's right on not renewing Tausch. I liked Tausch...

Gunakor
08-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Not sure if it has been discussed, but I found this newsworthy:

Veteran guard Mike Wahle (shoulder injury) was released after failing a physical

Apologies if I am bringing up old news, but TT made the right decision all those years ago. I hope he's right on not renewing Tausch. I liked Tausch...

I liked him too, but coming off of a serious injury, at his age, it doesn't bode well for his football future. While we don't have a solid replacement set for him at RT yet, Tauch just couldn't have been counted on for this season. His NFL future would not have been likely to last much longer even without the injury, so IMO guys like Giacomini and Barbre and Lang needed this opportunity to prove themselves at the position. If nobody can be found on our roster that can play effectively at RT, we still have time to try and swing a trade or sign a FA and salvage the season (as long as we don't wait forever to reach a conclusion).

If worse comes to worst, Tauch is still unsigned and can be picked up off the FA market once he's healthy. But it would make little sense to resign Tauch just to PUP him until week 6 and rest on the hope that he makes a full and speedy recovery. Especially considering no other teams are clammoring for his services. He'll more than likely still be available should he be needed down the road. Yet, as much as I like Tauch, I hope that need doesn't arise. Here's hoping one of the three players I mentioned earlier will become an effective RT for us for the forseeable future.

oregonpackfan
08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Perhaps it is coincidental, but the Journal-Sentinel has a good article about Packers rookie offensive lineman T.J. Lang realizing the value of being versatile.

Though he played left tackle in college, the Packer coaches have tried him at multiple offensive line positions. The coaches have noted that Lang is highly intelligent and has learned the assignments quickly:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52923102.html

SnakeLH2006
08-12-2009, 01:34 AM
How the fuck am I not starting for GB given those attributes you listed?

Tarlam!
08-12-2009, 04:34 AM
How the fuck am I not starting for GB given those attributes you listed?

What happened? Did you have a scholarship to play ball?

Wow. Snake retracted his entire blurb of being 6 6, 3.34 GPA etc. Makes me look kinda stupid, but I know, Fritz saw it.

Fritz
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, snake...what happeened? With that size and speed and the brains, surely you were offered scholarships for college ball, no? Did you get hurt or something?

Guiness
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM

I liked him too, but coming off of a serious injury, at his age, it doesn't bode well for his football future. While we don't have a solid replacement set for him at RT yet, Tauch just couldn't have been counted on for this season. His NFL future would not have been likely to last much longer even without the injury, so IMO guys like Giacomini and Barbre and Lang needed this opportunity to prove themselves at the position. If nobody can be found on our roster that can play effectively at RT, we still have time to try and swing a trade or sign a FA and salvage the season (as long as we don't wait forever to reach a conclusion).

If worse comes to worst, Tauch is still unsigned and can be picked up off the FA market once he's healthy. But it would make little sense to resign Tauch just to PUP him until week 6 and rest on the hope that he makes a full and speedy recovery. Especially considering no other teams are clammoring for his services. He'll more than likely still be available should he be needed down the road. Yet, as much as I like Tauch, I hope that need doesn't arise. Here's hoping one of the three players I mentioned earlier will become an effective RT for us for the forseeable future.[/quote]

I haven't heard much about Tausch, and if he's rehabbing in hopes of playing again? Has he said much (anything?) publicly?

If he wants to come back, I hope he can use GB's facilities and med staff to help with the rehab. I don't know if there's a way to allow that without signing him? He's been solid for years, I would think he can still contribute if he gets healthy.