PDA

View Full Version : Will the Packers really be a hybrid defense??

Bossman641
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
During the offseason, much of the focus was on the fact that the Packers were expected to play a hybrid defense and switch between the 3-4 and 4-3. I can't remember if this was purely a fan idea or if it came from the coaching staff as well. In reading an article the other day, some player noted that the defense has not practiced a single snap of 4-3 so far.

Is this a sign that the 4-3 won't be played much at all, or is is easy enough to learn that it could be thrown in as a last minute addition?

Lurker64
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
The base defense will be 3-4 on every down. However, situational packages will give a variety of looks.

For example, the nickel will either be a 4-2-5 or a 2-4-5 depending on the call.

Bossman641
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
The base defense will be 3-4 on every down. However, situational packages will give a variety of looks.

For example, the nickel will either be a 4-2-5 or a 2-4-5 depending on the call.

I understand the nickel and dime packages. I think a lot of fans figured that the straight 4-3 defense would be a wrinkle thrown in from time to time as well though. That was the talk when Raji was drafted at least, that with Jenkins-Pickett-Raji-Kampman we would have a pretty strong line.

sharpe1027
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM

I understand the nickel and dime packages. I think a lot of fans figured that the straight 4-3 defense would be a wrinkle thrown in from time to time as well though. That was the talk when Raji was drafted at least, that with Jenkins-Pickett-Raji-Kampman we would have a pretty strong line.

I would guess that they would work almost exclusively on their base defense for the time being and and install variations later as needed. I expect thatwe will see some 4-3, but judging from the mostly positive reviews of the 3-4 transition, it may be very seldom.

You have to realize that many of the people, myself included, mentioned a hybrid 4-3 in the context of doom-and-gloom posts about how they have the wrong players for a 3-4 and will fail. If that truly is the case, then I would expect to see a significant amount of 4-3; however, it seems that the 3-4 transition is going pretty well so far.

Waldo
08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
To get to a 4-3 under/over (based on O alignment), from a Raji-Pickett-Jenkins line, each of those 3 takes a half gap step to the right, off of heads up into the gap (a stance shift that they likely have installed). The WOLB takes a step back, and the 3 backers roll toward strength a step, and Kamp puts his hand on the ground. Whallah, in 1 second the defense goes from "the" 3-4 to a 4-3 over/under front.

SkinBasket
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Waldo, nice blog site. The name is clever too. Must be nice to have a functional website!

mraynrand
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey Waldo, nice blog site. The name is clever too. Must be nice to have a functional website!

smart ass. I just reported you to flag@whitehouse.gov. That'll teach you.

Freak Out
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM

2nd.

Partial
08-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Agreed. I told the admin how to produce a profitable site using open source solutions but he would rather have nothing than something. Oh well. Solid blogski, Waldo. Wordpress software is fantastic.

bobblehead
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Yep, my compliments to waldo on his site, I'll be visiting there from time to time. One thing I took out of it....Aaron had an effen good year last year.

Tarlam!
08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
One thing I took out of it....Aaron had an effen good year last year.

I didn't need Waldo's blog to form that opinion!

None the less, good site that just got itself added to "my favorites".

8-)

Waldo
08-11-2009, 02:10 AM
That for the compliments on my blog. I'm basically going to make my blog posts a detailed analytical version of some of the stuff that I've been posting on MB's, all with a Packer slant.

I like the wordpress software, I checked them all out. Really as long as I could put my own art in, it was all good, though the Flickr sidebar and twitter sidebar were nice touches.

wist43
08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I expect Hawk and Barnett to be what they've always been, pedestrian... and, Kampman is a DE playing out of position. That is 3/4 of your starting LB'ing corp... and the other starter is a rookie.

Given that the strenth of a 3-4 defense has to necessarily reside in your LB'ing, and prattling off that list of starters is less than inspiring...

Maybe Capers can make lemonade out of lemons here... but they're simply so weak at LB, I don't see how they can go predominately to a 3-4... I expect the transition to take at least a couple of years.

Administrator
08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Agreed. I told the admin how to produce a profitable site using open source solutions but he would rather have nothing than something. Oh well. Solid blogski, Waldo. Wordpress software is fantastic.

Partial - I just don't understand why you have to take a dig at me. I graciously allowed you back here after all the trouble, and 10 days later, you're back at the same type of stuff. I was hoping that you'd learned something from your hiatus, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Said bluntly, if you hadn't made yourself into a lighting rod, I'd be more interested in you and your opinions. Today, not so much. There are plenty of ways to build a website, and I'm pursuing one of those ways. Since it isn't your idea, I'm sure you won't like it, but that's fine with me.

If you want to continue posting here on a long term basis, I'd suggest that you confine your comments to the team, or take them behind closed doors.

Waldo - Visited your blog. Happy to leave your link, but would appreciate you fixing the link to packerrats. It takes you to another Packer message blog right now. Thanks.

Waldo
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Waldo - Visited your blog. Happy to leave your link, but would appreciate you fixing the link to packerrats. It takes you to another Packer message blog right now. Thanks.

:oops: Sorry 'bout that. Fixed.