PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White's Widow - won't show for Packers HOF Induction.

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
WHITE'S WIDOW WON'T SHOW FOR PACKERS HALL INDUCTION

When the Green Bay Packers induct Reggie White into their Hall of Fame on Saturday, one notable person won't be in attendance.

White's widow, Sara.

The officially explanation is that she has multiple sclerosis. Unofficially, there apparently are still hard feelings regarding a lawsuit filed several years ago by NFL Properties against a Green Bay memorabilia store owned by Reggie.

"Two former (Packers) employees could've handled the situation a little more diplomatically," former team president Bob Harlan told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "It is too bad that it may have led to some tattered feelings."

As it turns out, the team also had trouble persuading Mrs. White to attend Reggie's jersey retirement ceremony in September 2005.

The issue provides an intriguing backdrop for the looming induction of Reggie White into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next month.

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
http://x2e.xanga.com/bd7a74f26213567643579/z45413603.jpg

REGGIE, SARA WHITE
WILL BE MISSED SATURDAY

By Chris Havel / packersnews.com

White, the NFL's second all-time sack leader with 198, did much of the heavy lifting required to restore the Packers' credibility. He racked up 68½ sacks in six seasons here, and he dominated New England in the Packers' victory in Super Bowl XXXI. Sadly, White won't be at Saturday's affair. It's almost as sad that White's wife, Sara, won't be attending, either. She's coping with muscular sclerosis, and with her husband's upcoming induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, the stress and strain involved is considerable.

However, it seems there is an additional factor in Sara's absence. Perhaps four or five years ago, Harlan said, NFL Properties took White's business associates to court over trademark infringement. It stemmed from the illegal or unauthorized use of the Packers' logo by White's memorabilia shop near Lambeau Field.

NFL Properties' vigorous defense of its property is understandable. At the same time, the Packers could have and probably should have done more to intervene and maintain a modicum of peace and professionalism. Harlan admitted as much. "Two former (Packers) employees could've handled the situation a little more diplomatically," he said. "It is too bad that it may have led to some tattered feelings." The Packers were conspicuous by their absence on White's funeral card, although the Tennessee Volunteers, Memphis Showboats and Philadelphia Eagles were acknowledged. The Packers also had difficulty convincing Sara White to attend the No. 92 jersey retirement ceremony on Sept. 18, 2005.

It isn't for me to choose sides. What's done is done.

http://x30.xanga.com/bcba47f26353267643617/z45413635.jpg

Sara White is entitled to feel whatever she feels toward the Packers. Obviously, I knew Reggie much better than I did Sara, but I know her well enough to know this isn't about being vindictive. It's about the events and circumstances that led her to feel as she does. If she isn't attending Reggie's induction into the Packers Hall of Fame, she has her reasons, and it probably is too late to repair the damage. The hope here isn't that Sara White finds it in her heart to forgive the Packers. It's that the Packers learn from this sad situation and take great pains to not repeat it. There's just one problem with that. Players such as Reggie White only come along once in a lifetime. That's if you're lucky.

GBRulz
07-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Right Woodbuck, what's done is done. However, when the article brought up the fact that Reggie was using the Packers logo without permission, it failed to mention it wasn't the first time he had done this.

In the mid 90's, he took out a full page ad in the local newspaper for religious purposes (I forget what it was about) and he was posing in his NFL uniform.

Whatever Sara's reasons are, it's her own business. It certainly won't have any impact on his induction into the HOF. Fans loved Reggie, not Sara.

woodbuck27
07-22-2006, 11:25 PM
GBM:

Sometimes - it's really difficult, when it gets down to very HARD feelings. We have all been there.

It's very tough.

This is sad to me.

KYPack
07-23-2006, 09:49 AM
There had been other rumblings in the past.

There were subtle allegations made over the money collected by the White's after Reggie's church was burned down in the late 90's.

Reggies wierd "comeback" with Carolina was a strange deal and some things were said at that time.

All in all there is bad blood between the White family and the Packers.

& it's too bad.

woodbuck27
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Posted July 22, 2006

Chris Havel column: Jackson perfect fit for speech

Keith Jackson got a nice surprise when his flight arrived in Green Bay on Friday.

Sara White had left him a message on his cell phone.

"She ended it by saying, 'Love you, K-Jack,'" he said. "It really hit me, because that's what Reggie used to say."

Jackson is in Green Bay to present Reggie White for induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. Tonight's ceremony begins at 7 in the Lambeau Field Atrium. If you think it is going to be anticlimactic because White's induction is posthumous, I suspect you haven't heard Jackson speak publicly.

Jackson, 41, was White's teammate and friend in Philadelphia and Green Bay. He knows the Minister of Defense as well as anyone outside White's immediate family. When he spoke at White's funeral in December 2004, everyone from the NFL's greatest players to the most inconspicuous ushers were deeply moved.

That's because White was an amazing person, and Jackson is a terrific speaker.

"It's easy to talk about Reggie White," Jackson said. "If you have a guy that can't say three words, he'll find a way to put a sentence together to say something nice about Reggie White."

Jackson's goal is to make sure the audience learns something about White.

"There were many sides to Reggie," he said. "I don't want people to go away feeling like they know Keith Jackson. I want them feeling like they know Reggie White, the Minister of Defense, the Big Dog."

That includes hearing about White's well-deserved reputation as a prankster.

"What goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room," Jackson said. "That is, unless you die. Then the statute of limitations runs out, and everything's fair game, so you better lead a good life."

White did that to the fullest.

Jackson, a perennial Pro Bowl tight end, puts White in select company.

"As a player, we all sit up and go, 'I'm the greatest,' but there are certain players that wow you even if you think you're great," he said. "In my era, there was Reggie White, Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders. They were so good, other players were in awe."

Jackson's most vivid recollection of White's dominance occurred in a Packers-Cowboys playoff game. White took Erik Williams, the Cowboys' 330-pound tackle, and tossed him aside like a rag doll. Then, when the fullback tried to cut block him, White hurdled the would-be blocker and sacked the quarterback.

"They said he was 300 pounds, but I don't think Reggie saw 300 since he was at Tennessee," Jackson said. "He was more like 315, 320, and he's throwing around linemen and jumping over running backs. When you see a man with the ability to do that you just go, 'Wow!'"

Jackson operates a charity full-time in Little Rock, Ark. The charity, Positive Atmosphere Reaches Kids, is an after school educational/recreational facility in which students with low grade-point averages learn to attack their deficiencies.

"We've sent 99 children to college," he said. "Normally, athletes start sports programs, but this is a little different. I've had educators from all over the country coming to Little Rock to see what we're doing."

KYPack
07-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Posted July 22, 2006

Chris Havel column: Jackson perfect fit for speech

Keith Jackson got a nice surprise when his flight arrived in Green Bay on Friday.

Sara White had left him a message on his cell phone.

"She ended it by saying, 'Love you, K-Jack,'" he said. "It really hit me, because that's what Reggie used to say."

Jackson is in Green Bay to present Reggie White for induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. Tonight's ceremony begins at 7 in the Lambeau Field Atrium. If you think it is going to be anticlimactic because White's induction is posthumous, I suspect you haven't heard Jackson speak publicly.

Jackson, 41, was White's teammate and friend in Philadelphia and Green Bay. He knows the Minister of Defense as well as anyone outside White's immediate family. When he spoke at White's funeral in December 2004, everyone from the NFL's greatest players to the most inconspicuous ushers were deeply moved.

That's because White was an amazing person, and Jackson is a terrific speaker.

"It's easy to talk about Reggie White," Jackson said. "If you have a guy that can't say three words, he'll find a way to put a sentence together to say something nice about Reggie White."

Jackson's goal is to make sure the audience learns something about White.

"There were many sides to Reggie," he said. "I don't want people to go away feeling like they know Keith Jackson. I want them feeling like they know Reggie White, the Minister of Defense, the Big Dog."

That includes hearing about White's well-deserved reputation as a prankster.

"What goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room," Jackson said. "That is, unless you die. Then the statute of limitations runs out, and everything's fair game, so you better lead a good life."

White did that to the fullest.

Jackson, a perennial Pro Bowl tight end, puts White in select company.

"As a player, we all sit up and go, 'I'm the greatest,' but there are certain players that wow you even if you think you're great," he said. "In my era, there was Reggie White, Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders. They were so good, other players were in awe."

Jackson's most vivid recollection of White's dominance occurred in a Packers-Cowboys playoff game. White took Erik Williams, the Cowboys' 330-pound tackle, and tossed him aside like a rag doll. Then, when the fullback tried to cut block him, White hurdled the would-be blocker and sacked the quarterback.

"They said he was 300 pounds, but I don't think Reggie saw 300 since he was at Tennessee," Jackson said. "He was more like 315, 320, and he's throwing around linemen and jumping over running backs. When you see a man with the ability to do that you just go, 'Wow!'"

Jackson operates a charity full-time in Little Rock, Ark. The charity, Positive Atmosphere Reaches Kids, is an after school educational/recreational facility in which students with low grade-point averages learn to attack their deficiencies.

"We've sent 99 children to college," he said. "Normally, athletes start sports programs, but this is a little different. I've had educators from all over the country coming to Little Rock to see what we're doing."

Kieth will be perfect for this.

Sean Jones would be another great guy to talk there.

How about Reggie (as an Eagle) against Tony Mandarich? What ass whipping that was.

Deputy Nutz
07-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I mean whatever, if she doesn't want to come because of something that happened years ago, thats her problem, and her grudge. Lets say, that Don Beebe all of a sudden died, and the Packers where inducting him into the hall of fame, I think Reggie White if he were still alive would have shown up and payed his respeects, and honor to his fallen teammate. Now his wife has a grudge and refuses to show up to an event where her husband is being honored not only as one of the greatest football players of all time, but as a person.

packerpete
07-23-2006, 10:54 PM
My goodness, who cares if Sara White comes or not?

I have never been a big fan of spouses horning in on their mates deeds as a lever for fame, eg. Hilliary C. Nobody elected her to a national office, she used the position as wife to run her mouth improperly, and now SW is touring the nation because her husband was a phenominal talent and displayed character enough to lead some athletes. I have never heard anything about MR. CURIE, just the Madam, get it?

Let her go, dont give it a second thought, were the richer for having Reggies memory, dont let it spoil like fish in the sun by her whining.

ND72
07-24-2006, 09:29 AM
OH MY LORD PEOPLE....Sara White was not able to attend because she is having complications with her Multiple Schlerosis that she has. Seriously! you all are bitching about her not coming, when physically she is unable to do a lot of things.

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
OH MY LORD PEOPLE....Sara White was not able to attend because she is having complications with her Multiple Schlerosis that she has. Seriously! you all are bitching about her not coming, when physically she is unable to do a lot of things.

That has to certainly be weighed heavily in this.

What wife of a legend like Reggie is - would not love to attend an Official Ceremony put on by arguably the Greatest Franchise in the NFL to HONOR HER LATE HUSBAND?

I certainly trust that the Packers would have covered her entire expences PLUS for this very SPECIAL Event and Honor to Reggie and Sara White and the White Family. If she was going to be absent then who stood in for that absence? To represent Reggie White's Family ?

Well it's all over now, and the Big NFL HOF induction coming in August.

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Ex-teammates help honor White

By: Todd Korth
, packrepted@aol.com

Date: Jul 23, 2006

Many of Reggie White’s teammates flocked to Green Bay this weekend to honor the late, great defensive end as he was inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Saturday night. White also will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 5.

Reggie White had a way of attracting others to wherever he was because of his leadership ability. He did it as a player when he signed as a free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 1993 and he continued to do so in spirit on Saturday night for his induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. Many of his former teammates were on hand, and they showed the utmost repect toward the best defensive end ever to play in the National Football League.

Former Packers tight end Keith Jackson served as the present for White.

Others including Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Frank Winters, William Henderson, Edgar Bennett, Doug Evans, Gilbert Brown and LeRoy Butler were on hand to honor White. Many offered their memories of White during the induction ceremony and beforehand to the media in the Lambeau Field Atrium.

White, who passed away on Dec. 26, 2004, is the most honored athlete ever to play defensive end in the NFL and was a key player for the Packers’ 1996 team that won Super Bowl XXXI. In honor of the huge impact “The Minister of Defense” had during his six-year Packers career (1993-98), the Packers retired his No. 92 at the 2005 home opener, Sept. 18, vs. Cleveland.

White joined the Packers as the NFL’s most sought-after free agent in 1993 and immediately elevated the performance of the Green and Gold’s defense. After finishing 23rd in the league in 1992, the unit rose to No. 2 in 1993.

The defense ranked No. 1 during the 1996 championship season, the first such ranking since 1967.

“He wanted people to fear him and also wanted people to like him,” Jackson recalled. “It was the weirdest thing. He’d come up and shake hands with guys afterwards and say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m sorry about that little spat we had.’”

All of White’s ex-teammates present Saturday night felt that White was the main reason for the Packers’ success in the mid-1990s. If not for White signing with the Packers, many other top players probably would have steered away of Green Bay.

“When Reggie came here, people felt that if Reggie can go to Green Bay and perform and make money and win championships, we have an opportunity to do so, too,” Winters said. “I think that helped a lot. We had some good guys come here and sign after he left the Packers. Maybe that wouldn’t have happened if (Reggie) didn’t (sign). He took that first step and made it happen.”

Current Packers honored at the banquet included Donald Driver, Nick Collins and Samkon Gado. They received awards for ‘Most Valuable Player,’ ‘Defensive Rookie of the Year’ and ‘Offensive Rookie of the Year,’ respectively.

prsnfoto
07-24-2006, 01:14 PM

This isn't about MS she is pissed and as much as I am thankful for Reggie helping win a superbowl the packers owe him nothing lets not forget Reggie may not have ever won a superbowl either. He was a game changing force and a hell of a player but some of his actions and Sara's lead me to believe they weren't the nicest people personally. Maybe she'll really show us and retire his Eagle jersey at the HOF ceremony in Canton.

Creepy
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
A poor news stroy that should nothave been written. Nobody here knows whether it is sickness or not, but his best friend in football (Keith Jackson) is doing his enshrinement. I think his wife would be there as this is not a Packer legend going into the HoF, but a great player from two teams (Eagles & Packers).

Lets just enjoy he is going in and let the media worry about what his wife is or isn't doing. AS for shady delas, how about a layer can't use his NFL uniform or the fact he plays for an NFL team without the NFL getting a cut. So Reggie used his picture in his uniform to get support for his charities, NY City police and firefighter wore theirs to get contributions. Don't see the satate of NY wanting a piece ofthe action because they wore a NY City uniform. (I am talking about charities not about the NFL vs 911).

ND72
07-24-2006, 03:44 PM

This isn't about MS she is pissed and as much as I am thankful for Reggie helping win a superbowl the packers owe him nothing lets not forget Reggie may not have ever won a superbowl either. He was a game changing force and a hell of a player but some of his actions and Sara's lead me to believe they weren't the nicest people personally. Maybe she'll really show us and retire his Eagle jersey at the HOF ceremony in Canton.

You're retarded. Sara has been in green bay for everything the Packers have done for Reggie in the past year. The story that ran on Reggie on sportscenter even said Sara would not be attending much this summer because she has been in and out of hospitals with complications to her MS, and she has been saving strength so she can attend the NFL HOF induction. geez, grow up.

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
harsh man, but great to see you back ND! Where've you been?!?!?

ND72
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I've been a busy man...post-NFL Draft i was a bit "wore out" on NFL for a while. Kept busy with some teaching and coaching, so on...but now, it's time to get it on again, so i'm back, refreshed and ready to go.

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM

You're retarded. Sara has been in green bay for everything the Packers have done for Reggie in the past year. The story that ran on Reggie on sportscenter even said Sara would not be attending much this summer because she has been in and out of hospitals with complications to her MS, and she has been saving strength so she can attend the NFL HOF induction. geez, grow up.

Why is he retarded? He critiques the Whites and it is like someone spit in the holy water at church. Whether it was a poorly written story or not, this source said she still had hurt feelings towards the Packers and the NFL, and it was part of the reason why she wasn't coming. I agree that her MS has more to do with it, but don't discount the grudge just because it is Sarah White, widow of Pope Reggie White.

Bretsky
07-24-2006, 05:41 PM

ND,
Nice seeing ya in here; where the H have you been ?

Cheers,
B

KYPack
07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
[quote=ND72]Snip Maybe she'll really show us and retire his Eagle jersey at the HOF ceremony in Canton.

The Pro Football HOF doesn't show you as a mamber of any team, I don't believe. Ecpec. w/ FA, lot's of guys have played for multple teams. They show your bust and your history as a player is on the plaque.

Rastak
07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
[quote=ND72]Snip Maybe she'll really show us and retire his Eagle jersey at the HOF ceremony in Canton.

The Pro Football HOF doesn't show you as a mamber of any team, I don't believe. Ecpec. w/ FA, lot's of guys have played for multple teams. They show your bust and your history as a player is on the plaque.

I think you do pick your jersey...and ND may be on to something, Phili is where he made his name.

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Reggie said he's go in as a Packer, and there was a story about this last year where Sara, I believe, said he'd still go in as a Packer, but really, who cares? What does it really matter? Either way, the feelings of some Eagle fans or some Packer fans will be hurt. Whether he wears a Packers or Eagles cap, he'll still be a Packer in the NFL HoF.

Creepy
07-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Players have to chose what team they go in under. Emlen Tunnel went in as a Giant , even though his last years were with the Packers. Some have an easy choice as they either started slow and went to a new team, or started fats and eneded their careers ona nother team. Regiie is one of the few who played HoF ball for two teams. Most of his sacks acme as an Eagle, his greatest leadership roles were with the Packers. For whatever the reason, Reggie seemed to bond with GB, and his last words on the subject was to go in as a Packer, but he did say he he loved his time in Philly.

Deputy Nutz
07-25-2006, 09:30 AM
In Baseball, the commish makes the call on what team a player will go in as. Roger Clemens said he would flat out refuse to go into the hall if they picked him to go in as a member of the Red Sox.

I like how football gives the player a choice

KYPack
07-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Players have to chose what team they go in under. Emlen Tunnel went in as a Giant , even though his last years were with the Packers. Some have an easy choice as they either started slow and went to a new team, or started fats and eneded their careers ona nother team. Regiie is one of the few who played HoF ball for two teams. Most of his sacks acme as an Eagle, his greatest leadership roles were with the Packers. For whatever the reason, Reggie seemed to bond with GB, and his last words on the subject was to go in as a Packer, but he did say he he loved his time in Philly.

No they don't:

"Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, every team that an inductee had played or worked for is listed equally. While the Baseball Hall of Fame plaques depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap, the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee makes no reference to any specific team."

prsnfoto
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Partial edit - go reread the rules here before you post again. all of them. That's not cool here.

KYPack
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Partial edit - go reread the rules here before you post again. all of them. That's not cool here.[/quote]

Huh?

Who you bitchin' at?

ND?

Chill out, willya.

Partial
07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
[b]Partial edit - go reread the rules here before you post again. all of them. That's not cool here.

Huh?

Who you bitchin' at?

ND?

Chill out, willya.

no, not at nd. the user who's post I edited broke several rules posted in the rule forum in his post, so I removed it.

KYPack
07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
[b]Partial edit - go reread the rules here before you post again. all of them. That's not cool here.

Huh?

Who you bitchin' at?

ND?

Chill out, willya.

no, not at nd. the user who's post I edited broke several rules posted in the rule forum in his post, so I removed it.

OK admin.

Just doin' yer job.

You deleted so fast, I couldn't figure out what was up.

Carry on & all that shit.

the_idle_threat
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
the user who's post I edited broke several rules posted in the rule forum in his post, so I removed it.

Not arguing ... just curious: Isn't there only one rule ... no posting of personal info? Or did I miss something in the rule forum?

Deputy Nutz
07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
the user who's post I edited broke several rules posted in the rule forum in his post, so I removed it.

Not arguing ... just curious: Isn't there only one rule ... no posting of personal info? Or did I miss something in the rule forum?

Your right, personal info was posted.

prsnfoto
07-26-2006, 07:26 AM

Partial edit - go reread the rules here before you post again. all of them. That's not cool here.

I posted nothing he has not already stated in his posts here and on JSO online if you look back about 10 posts he said what he did for a living I didn't give out his name or address for christ's sake, also note he is the one who got personal,did you edit his post?, i was not attacking him I am sorry I obviously should have know he was sticking his sausage in the minister of defense's widow. Again my bad.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 09:38 AM
is this thread about Reggie White's wife still going?! She must be smokin hot.

KYPack
07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
is this thread about Reggie White's wife still going?! She must be smokin hot.

Well an admin made this statement:

"I obviously should have know he was sticking his sausage in the minister of defense's widow. "

So she must have some sort of attraction.

Creepy
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
You get credit for all the teams you play for, but you will see only one Jersey. They don't have a Ronnie Lott 49er, Raider, & Jets Jersey. I used to like the way the HoF used to be. Each inductee had like his own locker with uniforms clippings and other items about them. Now it is hodge podge all over the place. If players not listed by teams then why is Herb Adderly and Jim Ringo listed as Packer enshrinees when they played for the Cowboys & Eagles. George Blanda is listed as an Oakland Raider, but played 9 years as a Bear, and won 2 or 3 AFL CHampionships during his 6 years in Houston (Oilers). You do get recognized for a single team when you are inducted into the HoF, but they give credit for all the years you played.

KYPack
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
You get credit for all the teams you play for, but you will see only one Jersey. They don't have a Ronnie Lott 49er, Raider, & Jets Jersey. I used to like the way the HoF used to be. Each inductee had like his own locker with uniforms clippings and other items about them. Now it is hodge podge all over the place. If players not listed by teams then why is Herb Adderly and Jim Ringo listed as Packer enshrinees when they played for the Cowboys & Eagles. George Blanda is listed as an Oakland Raider, but played 9 years as a Bear, and won 2 or 3 AFL CHampionships during his 6 years in Houston (Oilers). You do get recognized for a single team when you are inducted into the HoF, but they give credit for all the years you played.

Tell ya truth, Creepy, you don't see any jersey's. Your bust is your head. Then there is a plaque with all the teams that ya played for and your accomplishments. Teams list which of their players have been HOFers.

George Blanda's plaque lists him as a Bear, Colt, Oiler, and a Raider.