PDA

View Full Version : Traditions

Tarlam!
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I was just flippin' channels and came across a soccer game. Germany playing Azerbaijan in an away world cup qualifier. Harv can tell you what a WC Quali is, if you don't know.

Anyway, Germany is up two nil with 15 minutes to go in the game.

Germany is wearing RED unis with GOLD lettering!!! That pisses me off. Their home unis are white with the black red and gold colours striped in very subtly.

They used to play away games in Green. Why? Ah! They did so to honour the Republic of Ireland. The Irish were the first team after World War II to agree to play the Germans, and in so doing, restored "normality" to a nation desperate to apologize to the world. German Soccer was so grateful, they played in Green when not on German soil.

The Germans have won world cups wearing Green. Now they wear Red, because some marketing executive with no respect for tradition thought it was a good idea.

So, I thought I'd start a thread about traditions that have gone by the wayside.

It used to be a tradition for me to get get pissed off at a certain Mexican over at JSO. Then we made friends, we migrated to Rats, and he is in Nirvana.

I miss Mexicans and Green away unis for the German soccer squad.

Freak Out
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Not surprising considering it's football you're talking about. What irks me the most about club/team sponsorship is the fact that most outsiders would think a team is named HSBC Bank or Vodofone or some such nonsense....sad about the change from green for the Deutsch kit, far to many traditions like that get the boot for monetary reasons.