View Full Version : RAJI-PACKERS REACH AGREEMENT

Chevelle2
08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53167877.html

8-)

MadScientist
08-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Finally!

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are to see if there was any significant caving.

red
08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
awesome

gbpackfan
08-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Thank God. Get him to camp and let's get this d line fired up! He's got plenty of time to get up to speed before the opener.

denverYooper
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Hells yeah!

DonHutson
08-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Good job by both sides to take the plunge and quit waiting around for other picks to sign. It would have been nice to get it done sooner, but this shouldn't cripple his rookie season.

Freak Out
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Before the first game even...get working fatso.

DonHutson
08-13-2009, 07:28 PM

He's just big boned.

gbgary
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
good. that distraction is over.

gbpackfan
08-13-2009, 07:51 PM

He prefers "Husky."

MichiganPackerFan
08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
"Lard ass" until he catches up.

CaptainKickass
08-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Playing devils advocate here

I'm reserving my judgement until he actually plays some games.

But yeah, I'm glad they got it done.

rbaloha1
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Maybe Harrell heals quicker.

ND72
08-13-2009, 11:18 PM

He prefers "Husky."

Husky is the key word for us fatguys ;)

pbmax
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
He got a 15% increase in guaranteed money compared to Oakland/DHB's 20%. But he potentially has a 40% increase in total money. So there is likely something funny at the end of that contract that he might never get to see. Either he will be good and get reworked, or he gets dumped, or the incentives are really high.

Glad it got done. Too bad he can't play OLB as well :lol:

SnakeLH2006
08-14-2009, 12:28 AM
BJ's are always great! But two awesome BJ's for Snake today... I'll most likely remember this one! Thanx Ted, your BJ will become legendary!

Here's that stat breakdown:

Raji signed a five-year, $28.5 million deal that included just under $18 million in guaranteed money. An average of $5.6 million or so a year to a guy who has potential to affect games at the highest paid position this side of QB....not too shabby.

The No. 9 pick last year, Cincinnati linebacker Keith Rivers, signed a five-year deal worth $20.1 million and included around $15.7 million in guarantees. Raji's total deal represents a 40% increase in total value, and an increase of about 15% in guarantees.

All things considered, that is only fair....considering that the Raiders at 2 picks above, gave a huge increase % wise over last year's pick at the same slot, and Crabby has been a huge DIVA at the 10 slot clamoring for top 5 money....Glad Ted did it now, as it was only gonna get worse waiting for Crabby's numbers. That guy hasn't played a down yet in the NFL, and already may be the biggest WR diva in the NFL. Good luck Niners and Bretsky! :lol:

Snake's Take:

Unlike a coupla WR's, this guy at DT/NT has potentially a cap friendly deal. It doesn't look bad at all when you consider the BS going on with the WR deals in similar slots in 2009.

Check the signing status of all the picks here to see what I'm saying:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810d9ec2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It could have been a ton worse....but he needs to get in camp ASAP to pancake OL's instead of pancakes... :D

Lurker64
08-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Some more evidence of the brilliant editing they have at the Journal Sentinel:

In addition to wanting Raji to play left end, they also want him to back up starting nose tackle Ryan Pickett and play in the middle of their 4-3 nickel package they use on passing downs.

I certainly hope we don't play a 4-3 nickel package. It's hard to stop anybody when you consistently put 12 men on the field.

Kiwon
08-14-2009, 05:27 AM

In addition to wanting Raji to play left end, they also want him to back up starting nose tackle Ryan Pickett and play in the middle of their 4-3 nickel package they use on passing downs.

I certainly hope we don't play a 4-3 nickel package. It's hard to stop anybody when you consistently put 12 men on the field.

:D

hurleyfan
08-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Maybe Harrell heals quicker.

Last shot for Harrell I think

Bretsky
08-14-2009, 07:53 AM
good to get him in; sounds like both sides compromised. This will make it harder for the cheap Jags as well to hold tight to their 10% increase belt

pbmax
08-14-2009, 08:08 AM

You just haven't seen the new Packer camo home uniforms yet :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Whoo Hoo! Looking forward to seeing what the big man can do on the field.

bobblehead
08-14-2009, 11:54 AM

I would think it would be much easier.

pbmax
08-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Contract Details from the Green Bay Press Gazette: (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090814/PKR01/90814157/1058)

According to a source with access to NFL salary information, Raji’s deal on paper is for six years, but in reality it’s for five. The sixth year is void if the Packers exercise an option bonus next March and Raji meets any one of numerous easily achieved incentives in the first five years. It’s a given they’ll pay the option bonus, and short of an injury disaster Raji will reach at least one of the incentives.

The five-year deal includes $18 million in guaranteed money and can be worth a little more than $28 million if he reaches all incentives, though getting to that maximum will be difficult because among other things he’ll have to play in four Pro Bowls.

Raji received a $2.4 million signing bonus and a $1.26 million roster bonus, plus will make a base salary this season of $310,000. So he’ll be paid a total of $3.97 million this year.

His biggest pay day comes in March, when he’s due a $7 million option bonus. When that’s paid, it triggers a guarantee of his base salaries for the next four seasons: $1.962 million in 2010, $2.355 million in 2011, and $2.747 million in 2012. The option bonus and subsequent salary guarantees give him a total of $18.034 million in guarantees overall.

The base salary for the fifth year of the deal, 2013, will be guaranteed for injury but not skill. His salary that year is $3.14 million.

Raji also has workout bonuses of $225,000 for each offseason from 2010 to 2013, and performance salary escalators and bonuses that can add close to another $10 million if he attains them all, which is unlikely.

pbmax
08-15-2009, 09:20 AM
The Packers have some bust protection in year five as Raji could be cut loose after four years with little cap impact, unless he was injured at the time, in which case his salary would count.

Also, $10 million of his possible $28 million are performance bonuses, including an unspecified amount for making 4 Pro Bowls. In reality, Raji's deal is probably not a 40% increase over last year and will be significantly lower than the advertised total.

denverYooper
08-15-2009, 09:32 AM
The Packers have some bust protection in year five as Raji could be cut loose after four years with little cap impact, unless he was injured at the time, in which case his salary would count.

Also, $10 million of his possible $28 million are performance bonuses, including an unspecified amount for making 4 Pro Bowls. In reality, Raji's deal is probably not a 40% increase over last year and will be significantly lower than the advertised total.

And if he hits that 4 pro bowl bonus, I'm happy with him getting every penny :).

Patler
08-15-2009, 10:38 AM

I suspect last years contracts had both attainable and likely unattainable bonuses too. Many will probably turn out to be lower than advertised, just like Raji's.

Chubbyhubby
08-15-2009, 12:06 PM
This is great news!!! We have everyone in camp and no distractions. Lets get this season to a great start with a preseason win against Cleveland.

pbmax
08-15-2009, 02:57 PM

I suspect last years contracts had both attainable and likely unattainable bonuses too. Many will probably turn out to be lower than advertised, just like Raji's.
Yes, but a 40% increase is unusual for any pick, even in the top 10. The Bengals had this pick (#9) last year and it was ugly. I would be stunned if it was anywhere near a forty percent increase in the previous year's contract.

pbmax
08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Rivers has $2.9 million in incentives.