PDA

View Full Version : Donald's (Driver) driving, but who's riding with him?

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
THU., JUL 20, 2006 - 11:27 PM

Donald's driving, but who's riding with him?

JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - Wide receiver is not, Mike McCarthy will tell you, one of those positions where there are a group of candidates for a starting job only because, well, somebody has to start.

No, the Green Bay Packers new coach believes whoever lines up opposite Donald Driver - now the team's unquestioned go-to guy after the offseason trade of disgruntled ex-Pro Bowler Javon Walker and Driver's 2005 career highs in receptions (86) and yards (1,221) - will have earned the position.

Of course, there's also the possibility no one will stand out and somebody will have to start by default.

"I hope not. I hope someone jumps up," said McCarthy, who'll open his first training camp a week from today. "The thing about that group, there's going to be a lot of competition there. It's going to be a good group."

Maybe it will, but Driver, who became the Packers' lone consistent receiving threat last year after Walker's season-ending knee injury in the opener, is the only proven commodity.

"We're very pleased that Donald Driver is our lead guy," said general manager Ted Thompson, who gave Driver a four-year, $17•million contract extension in May. "He's a credit to this organization and we're very proud to have him."

After Driver, a pair of 2001 draft disappointments - Robert Ferguson and Rod Gardner - are the leading candidates to start on the other side. Ferguson, whom the Packers drafted in the second round that year, has suffered about every injury imaginable - he's played in all 16 games only once in five years - and caught 27 passes for 366 yards in 11 games last year.

He also was the target of criticism after he was the intended target on a number of quarterback Brett Favre's early-season interceptions.

"I really like Fergie. I think he's really a tough, tough guy," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said.

"But at the moment of truth, when the ball's in the air and it's a 50-50 ball, it's got to be his. That's really the gist of our conversations that we've had together."

Added Thompson: "We're looking for him to really step forward."

The Packers picked up Gardner, the 15th overall pick in 2001, late last season after he was released by Carolina. Gardner had one 1,000-yard season with Washington (2002) but hasn't lived up to his draft status. He signed a one-year deal with the Packers in the offseason, then failed to attend the second minicamp and half of the organized team activity practices.

McCarthy and Jagodzinski clearly were annoyed by Gardner's half-hearted attendance, but because the workouts were technically voluntary - McCarthy called them "highly recommendable" - there was little the coaches could do.

Thompson called Gardner "an outstanding physically talented player, who has had some ups and downs in his career. We're looking forward to seeing how he does in this competitive environment."

Behind that tandem is another veteran, former Kansas City Chiefs receiver Marc Boerigter, another free agent who signed a one-year deal. Unlike Gardner, Boerigter didn't miss a single offseason workout but was inconsistent, making several fabulous catches but dropping a number of easy balls.The coaches were quite taken with rookie second-round pick Greg Jennings, who played at Western Michigan after being snubbed by Michigan. He impressed the staff with his route-running and quickness in and out of breaks.

"Plus, he's smart," McCarthy said. "Mentally, he's a sponge. And obviously that helps him."

After Jennings, fourth-round pick Corey Rodgers is more likely to contribute on special teams after playing in a run-oriented offense at Texas Christian, while Ruvell Martin, Vince Butler and Chad Lucas lead a crew of youngsters vying for the final roster spot if the team keeps six wideouts.

"There's no way of telling who the final guys are going to be just yet. We have a lot of young guys and a lot of new faces," Thompson said.

"You never know how it's going to wash out, but at the end of the day we think we're going to have a good group there."

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.madison.com/images/articles/wsj/2006/07/20/30375_thumb.jpg

Various injuries limited Packers' Robert Ferguson to 11 games and 27 receptions last season. He has played an entire season only once since being drafted in 2001.

Comment:

Does he look in shape or too light this season ?

Joemailman
07-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Gardner is the one guy other than Driver who has shown the ability to be productive over an entire season. He is a few years removed from that, but is still young enough to turn his career around. jennings has been impressive, but it would be unrealistic to expect him to step in as a starter. I refuse to get my hopes up about Ferguson again.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure there is a front runner for the #2 spot. I think after 4 preseason games, it could be any of about 4 guys.

MadtownPacker
07-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Its gonna have to be Gardener with Jennings at the #3 spot. Fergie has shown he belongs on ST.

the_idle_threat
07-23-2006, 05:00 AM
http://www.madison.com/images/articles/wsj/2006/07/20/30375_thumb.jpg

Various injuries limited Packers' Robert Ferguson to 11 games and 27 receptions last season. He has played an entire season only once since being drafted in 2001.

Comment:

Does he look in shape or too light this season ?

No, but look out---he's about to trip over that cone and bust up his shoulder!

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-23-2006, 09:41 AM
fergie will be number 2 this year with 800+ yards, with jennings and gardener rotating at number 3.

Bretsky
07-23-2006, 10:19 AM
fergie will be number 2 this year with 800+ yards, with jennings and gardener rotating at number 3.

Just curious; why give him the chance to be a failure again ? Because what he does is disappoints. I'm sick of the this is the year chants. If we're stuck with Fergie as #2 it will not be a good season.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
If he stays healthy he will have a good year. Hes just been hurt to much.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2006, 11:35 AM
It doesn't matter who starts the season as #2. There will be injuries, hopefully not season ending, but receivers ALWAYS get banged-up and miss some time. I don't see much difference between #2 through #5, but the guy who is best will become apparent as the season goes along, and will recieve more playing time.