PDA

View Full Version : Can Michael Vick Handle the Philly Fans?

oregonpackfan
08-15-2009, 11:46 AM
In another post, several months ago, I related an interview of Chris Carter by Dan Patrick. The topic was the harsh treatment by the Philadelphia fans towards Donovan McNabb. When McNabb played a game on a highly successful level, the fans supported him. If he had a mediocre or subpar performance the next game, fans were demanding McNabb be benched.

Carter relayed how when he played for the Eagles, his wife and Reggie White's wife were friends and would attend home games together. If the game was going poorly, the women got into verbal fights with Eagles' fans who were making degrading comments about the home team. When the neighboring fans found out the women were the wives of Chris Carter and Reggie White, they started making negative comments about their husbands' playing skills!

Needless to say, Carter was an outstanding receiver and Reggie White was at his peak as one of the best defensive ends ever to play in the NFL. That apparently wasn't good enough for the Philly fans. They demanded perfection 100% of the time.

The wives stopped going to Eagles' home games.

Patrick also related how Philly fans booed HOF Mike Schmidt on the rare times he made an error or struck out. 76'er fans booed outstanding forward Charles Barkley if he missed an easy shot.

Though the management, coaches, and McNabb appear to welcome and support the addition of Michael Vick, the question is how are the demanding Philly fans going to accept him?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090814/Eagles-Vick.Signs/

hoosier
08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
You forgot to include that once, when the Eagles were truly terrible back in the late 60s, their fans booed Santa Claus and threw snowballs at him during halftime. :lol:

Pugger
08-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I remember hearing they had a small court room with a judge at the old stadium because of the unruly "fans". Someone said that place wasn't the best place to go if you were a woman either (I think I heard similar horror stories about Oakland too).

woodbuck27
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I understand if your away team is in Philly and your attending a game and wearing your teams colors. You might just up and disappear during a washroom visit.

Philly 'the city of brotherly love'.

MJZiggy
08-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember hearing they had a small court room with a judge at the old stadium because of the unruly "fans". Someone said that place wasn't the best place to go if you were a woman either (I think I heard similar horror stories about Oakland too).

I had read an article about women being harassed in an end-zone corner section as that was supposed to be the section where women were expected to flash the men, but last I heard, they were cracking down hard on that as people with kids and women who were not exhibitionists were complaining and the stadium didn't want a reputation as a place you couldn't take your women or children to. They already have that reputation, but the team can try.

The drawing and quartering might just be worth the short road trip...

Tarlam!
08-16-2009, 03:45 AM
One of my favourite football films is where that special teamer, Vince Papali(sp?) makes the Iggles team from open tryouts for all comers. Based on a true story.

The aggressiveness of their fans was the major backdrop of the story.

pbmax
08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I learned to drive in traffic in Philadelphia, going to sports events and concerts. I can cut people off and squeeze into the next lane when cars are not moving like nobody's business.

The only thing tougher than the crowd is the drive down Broad Street to the stadiums.

In my experience (limited as I didn't live in Philly proper) is that the crowd's reputation is exaggerated. However, I only ever went to two Eagle's games.

I think Vick will be fine. If he was Vince Young, then there might be trouble. The fans will back him if he makes even a few plays.

red
08-16-2009, 08:46 AM
i hope they live up to their rep and shell him with d-cell batteries

Tarlam!
08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
i hope they live up to their rep and shell him with d-cell batteries

Red, why don't you drop the facade and show your true emotions?

Patler
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
From the philadelphia Daily News:

In the 24 hours following the announcement that Vick signed with the Birds, about 35,000 people voted in a Philly.com poll asking whether they were for or against the move. That's a huge sample, and it was split almost right down the middle - about 51 percent were in favor of the Birds' adding Vick while about 49 percent were against it. At best, it appears the Eagles have divided the city in half. Good luck with that "majority," gentlemen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
ahhh, the circus will just roll along.

You watch, Vick is going to be extremely popular among the players. The fan passion against him will die down to a simmer. Vick just has to act or really be the reformed sinner.

As long as Vick doesn't screw-up on the field, he'll be back in the fans favor.