PDA

View Full Version : O-line time

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Take-away from the first preseason: they have plenty of talent cross the oline, although not sure about depth at tackle.

Tony Moll doesn't look like he can play LT. Can he be a servicable backup at other positions?

Sitton really impressed me, I want him to start. If Spitz can't beat-out Wells, he can be the super-sub on the interior. I'm sure they'll need him sometime.

Is Tauscher really out there with the possibility of coming back to the Packers?

red
08-16-2009, 10:27 AM
even if mark comes back, he won't be playing this year

woodbuck27
08-16-2009, 11:01 AM

What's the scoop on Mark? Has he declined so much, so fast? Is he harboring an injury? No longer affordable?

Bretsky
08-16-2009, 11:20 AM

What's the scoop on Mark? Has he declined so much, so fast? Is he harboring an injury? No longer affordable?

tore his knee us last year and Ted liked Young guys

I doubt he'll be back unless the OL looks really bad at the start

pbmax
08-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Bretsky channeling Tank there for a moment. :lol:

Tauscher's chances of playing might have ticked upward after Barbre's performance last night. He has to be better in protection.

A question: The Andrews brother who went from the Bengals to the Eagles in the offseason tore his ACL in December as well. Tauscher tore his on Dec. 7th versus the Texans. Did Andrews make an all-world recovery (eight months-he is already practicing) or were the injuries different?

Edit: Scratch that question, Stacy Andrews (former Bengal-knee) apparently has not practiced that I can find. He was injured two weeks after Tauscher.

Edit the Edit: Question is Back On: Stacy Andrews (Bengals-knee) IS practicing. That is an eight-month recovery from a torn ACL.
Nevertheless, the only projected starter on the field for all of practice yesterday was center Jamaal Jackson. Stacy Andrews, Shawn's younger brother, ran with the first-team offense at times at right guard, while left guard Todd Herremans (left foot) is expected to miss the remainder of the preseason.

Edit the Edit the Edit: And a torn MCL.

woodbuck27
08-16-2009, 11:49 AM

OK. Thanks B. I couldn't come up with the real take on him. He was so solid for such a long time.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
every time I looked, Barbe was doing very well in protection.

I think you have to re-watch the game and focus to really judge the line.

Patler
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Tauscher's chances of playing might have ticked upward after Barbre's performance last night. He has to be better in protection.

A question: The Andrews brother who went from the Bengals to the Eagles in the offseason tore his ACL in December as well. Tauscher tore his on Dec. 7th versus the Texans. Did Andrews make an all-world recovery (eight months-he is already practicing) or were the injuries different?

Edit: Scratch that question, Stacy Andrews (former Bengal-knee) apparently has not practiced that I can find. He was injured two weeks after Tauscher.

Edit the Edit: Question is Back On: Stacy Andrews (Bengals-knee) IS practicing. That is an eight-month recovery from a torn ACL.
Nevertheless, the only projected starter on the field for all of practice yesterday was center Jamaal Jackson. Stacy Andrews, Shawn's younger brother, ran with the first-team offense at times at right guard, while left guard Todd Herremans (left foot) is expected to miss the remainder of the preseason.

Tauscher was injured first, but Andrews had surgery before Taischer. They waited almost 6 weeks before doing Tauscher's surgery, initially saying they had to wait for swelling to subside. I think this is the same knee for Tauscher as his first ACL repair, which probably doesn't help.

Tauscher is 4 years older, with more wear and tear on his knee from age and from having a lot more years of football than Andrews, who didn't play football until his last two years in college. He was a track athlete in HS and college before that.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2009, 12:05 PM

OK. Thanks B. I couldn't come up with the real take on him. He was so solid for such a long time.

I thought the consensus was that Tauscher's play dropped off pretty significantly last year prior to the injury.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM

I get the feeling that Breno is Plan B. Tauscher might be Plan D or E.

Patler
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Edit the Edit the Edit: And a torn MCL.

Apparently not the MCL:

Original reports had Stacy Andrews undergoing reconstructive knee surgery Jan. 7, after what were said to be anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament tears to his right knee suffered in the next-to-last-game of the season. But subsequent reports, confirmed by agent Rich Moran, indicated that the surgeon found that only the ACL needed to be fixed.

Bretsky
08-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I thought the consensus was that Tauscher's play dropped off pretty significantly last year prior to the injury.

I think everybody knows the zone running system does not play to Tauscher or Clifton's strengths. But Tausch still was solid in pass protections last year IMO and he could be back starting if our young guys bomb

pbmax
08-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Tauscher was injured first, but Andrews had surgery before Taischer. They waited almost 6 weeks before doing Tauscher's surgery, initially saying they had to wait for swelling to subside. I think this is the same knee for Tauscher as his first ACL repair, which probably doesn't help.

Tauscher is 4 years older, with more wear and tear on his knee from age and from having a lot more years of football than Andrews, who didn't play football until his last two years in college. He was a track athlete in HS and college before that.
Its understandable why Tauscher would be at the longer end of the recovery timeline. But last I heard, nine month recoveries were the new shortened timeframe. That was the hope for Lee Evans when he tore his ACL-which then did not pan out.

But eight months seems almost ludicrously short. I suppose being a Guard as opposed to WR or RB makes a great deal of difference. Or the surgery has changed again.

pbmax
08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Apparently not the MCL:

Original reports had Stacy Andrews undergoing reconstructive knee surgery Jan. 7, after what were said to be anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament tears to his right knee suffered in the next-to-last-game of the season. But subsequent reports, confirmed by agent Rich Moran, indicated that the surgeon found that only the ACL needed to be fixed.
Good find.

bobblehead
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM

Its understandable why Tauscher would be at the longer end of the recovery timeline. But last I heard, nine month recoveries were the new shortened timeframe. That was the hope for Lee Evans when he tore his ACL-which then did not pan out.

But eight months seems almost ludicrously short. I suppose being a Guard as opposed to WR or RB makes a great deal of difference. Or the surgery has changed again.

HgH....not accusing, just saying it can turn a 9 month recovery into 4-5 months.

Patler
08-16-2009, 12:26 PM

I wonder how much Andrews is really practicing in contact type drills, and how much is "show" in non-contact drills simply because he signed a $39 million contract. I found one of their training camp reports from August 10 that said he did walk throughs with the first line, but sat out all contact drills.

pbmax
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM

I wonder how much Andrews is really practicing in contact type drills, and how much is "show" in non-contact drills simply because he signed a $39 million contract. I found one of their training camp reports from August 10 that said he did walk throughs with the first line, but sat out all contact drills.
Its possible. The article on practice I found did not specify.

rbaloha1
08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
The o-line played well as a unit -- physical and assignment sure.

Barbre had trouble pass blocking against the first team olb/de (either #94 or #95). Shows nice recovery when beat. Improved pass blocking against backups.

Although Barbre faces Kampman in practice, he may have difficulty against pure speed rushers. IMO Barbre has not solidified the starting position.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
speaking of recovery when beat, Tony Moll doesn't even attempt to move his feet and stick with a quick outside rush. He just pushes the guy outside and hopes the QB will get the pass off in time.

Maybe Moll is just a backup at guard. They do have some depth problems at tackle. Colledge is obviously the backup at LT, but shuffling is not ideal.

rbaloha1
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
speaking of recovery when beat, Tony Moll doesn't even attempt to move his feet and stick with a quick outside rush. He just pushes the guy outside and hopes the QB will get the pass off in time.

Maybe Moll is just a backup at guard. They do have some depth problems at tackle. Colledge is obviously the backup at LT, but shuffling is not ideal.

Agreed. Moll gets cut.