Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I think it is
1) GM
2) QB
3) Coach

sheepshead
08-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I dont think a GM is to blame for a "given year". We loose 7 games by 3 points and are the most penalized team in football, that's coaching.

Tarlam!
08-16-2009, 11:27 PM
We loose 7 games by 3 points and are the most penalized team in football, that's coaching.

This is a great observation, but what can the coach do if the players can't/won't follow his instructions? Do the players lack talent? Intelligence? Then, the GM is the problem.

Do the players lack motivation? Then, look to the coaching.

With the right QB, do lack of talent, intelligence, motivation go away as a game loser? I could envision that scenario, but I don't know enough about it. I know as a captain in Rugby, I could make a massive difference on the field of play in the outcome of the game.

Gunakor
08-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Coaching. GM's don't set a depth chart, formulate a game plan, run practices, etc. Who and what any given player ends up becoming in this league is a testament to the coaching they've recieved. Good players are produced by good coaching. Good teams are produced by good players. Coaching is most responsible IMO.

sheepshead
08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
We loose 7 games by 3 points and are the most penalized team in football, that's coaching.

This is a great observation, but what can the coach do if the players can't/won't follow his instructions? Do the players lack talent? Intelligence? Then, the GM is the problem.

Do the players lack motivation? Then, look to the coaching.

With the right QB, do lack of talent, intelligence, motivation go away as a game loser? I could envision that scenario, but I don't know enough about it. I know as a captain in Rugby, I could make a massive difference on the field of play in the outcome of the game.

While TT has made mistakes, he hasnt made 53 of them. We had the horses to win last year in my opinion. Over hauling the defensive coaching staff was the right thing to do. I am much more critical of MM than I am of TT at this point. I think he is quietly on the hot seat.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I dont think a GM is to blame for a "given year". We loose 7 games by 3 points and are the most penalized team in football, that's coaching.

ya, but the GM still put the roster together in previous years. I guess some people must be interpreting this poll as only accounting for his efforts in that year.

I don't think its even close, the GM is way more important than anybody else, its his team, everybody else is just a piece on the chess board.

Whether a coach or QB is second more important is hard to say. I suppose it is the coach in most cases, except teams with shit QBs so infrequently win Super Bowls that you have to wonder.

sheepshead
08-17-2009, 09:22 AM
If we go 11-5 this year, then what would you say about your theory?

Signing Duke Preston put us over the top?

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM
ya, I'm seeing now how you look at it: Only consider the moves that a GM makes within a given year, not accumulation of his past efforts as well. I didn't do a good job of setting up the poll. I have brought shame to my ancestors and must kill myself to honor the emperor.

MichiganPackerFan
08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
It's been said hundreds of times: players win games. A coach can only do so much, but the players have to perform on the field. The general manager chooses these players, so therefore, the GM is by far the key.

Cheesehead Craig
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Injuries. You can have great coaching, a genius GM and world class QB but if a season like Packers' 2004 one happens and you have to rely on a WR named Taco Wallace, you're screwed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
a genius GM has reasonable backups in place. I like their depth this year.

Tarlam!
08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I have brought shame to my ancestors and must kill myself to honor the emperor.

Well, I think that's the honorable thing to do. I know the Emperor and he said he'd exonerate you upon death by your own hand. Your ancestors on the other hand, well, there you're screwed. Consider it a technicality.

3irty1
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
As long as all three belong in professional football, I'd say luck is the biggest key to a teams success.

Merlin
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
This will be the first year that we have actually had the majority of positions backed up by someone serviceable. Even at QB, Flynn looks like he has the potential, Brohm, I fear his best days are behind him. Lack of depth, lack of viable veteran backups, and the inability to fix the offensive line are the three things that have kept this team from moving forward. I only hope that the defensive showing was not a fluke, it was after all the Browns, who are in a constant rebuilding mode...

Fritz
08-17-2009, 10:27 PM
How about we go even further up the ladder and suggest ownership is the single most important factor?

Exhibit A: Al Davis. Hires himself as GM. Drafts guys like Barelyius Blamewad Hey and overpays them; hires coaches like Lane Kiffin and underpays them while letting the players know he has no real authority.

Exhibit B: William Clay Ford. Hired Russ Schmidt, I think the name was, as GM way back when. The guy hired coaches like Darryl Rodgers and Tommy Hudspeth; his greatest hire may have been Wayne Fontes. Then hired Matt Millen as GM. Kept him for about eight years. Total Super Bowl appearances during Ford's tenure as owner, which began in 1964: zero.

Merlin
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I think ownership is a large part of it. I also think that's why teams like the Packers have an advantage because there is a board that makes decisions. IF the Packers don't improve and IF management keeps the GM and/or the GM keeps the coach, it will start to roll up hill. Unlike a single owner team, there is some merit to the fans complaining in Green Bay.

Patler
08-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Lots of different ways to look at this. The long and short of it is that a team can fail, maybe even WILL fail even when one does an outstanding job but the other is out and out bad.

Some rosters are so bad that even a good coach will not succeed.
A horrible coach can fail even with a great roster.
Very good coaches with mediocre rosters can be very successful by getting the most out of what he has.

But...since the GM has control over the roster AND makes the hiring decisions on the head coach, ultimately he controls both sides of the issue.