PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm

MichiganPackerFan
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Because Brian Brohm is currently composing his new novel New Adventures and Explorations in Sucking, I thought I'd track down the Maytag repairmen who donned the Green & Gold in the Quarterback position since Favre began his tenure. This list doesn't even include preseason cuts like Akili Smith and Tim Couch. A lot of them have gone on to have very successful careers, and others, well, not so much. So the question posed is, who should Brian Brohm be addressing in his "Special thanks to those who pioneered and blazed the trail to new unexplored territories of sucking" page of his book? Here's the list of QB's who have been on the regular season roster since 1992:

Bono, Steve - UCLA - 1997 - 2
Bouman, Todd - St. Cloud State - 2006 - 0
Brohm, Brian - Louisville - 2008 - 0
Brooks, Aaron - Virgina - 1999 - 0
Brunell, Mark - Washington - 1993-04 - 2
Detmer, Ty - Brigham Young - 1992-95 - 7
Favre, Brett - Southern Mississippi - 1992-2007 - 255
Flynn, Matt - Louisiana State - 2008 - 1
Hasselbeck, Matt - Boston College - 1999-2000 - 32
Majkowski, Don - Virginia - 1987-92 - 68
Martin, Ingle - Furman - 2006 - 1
McMahon, Jim - Brigham Young - 1995-96 - 6
Mirer, Rick - Notre Dame - 1998 - 0
Nall, Craig - Northwestern (La.) State - 2002-05, 07 - 7
O'Sullivan, J.T. - California-Davis - 2004 - 1
Pederson, Doug - N.E. Louisiana - 1996-98, 2001-04 - 66
Rodgers, Aaron - California - 2005-08 - 7
Rubley, T.J. - Tulsa - 1995 - 1
Wuerffel, Danny - Florida - 2000 - 1

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I think they should trade Brohm for a young, talented left tackle.

sharpe1027
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I think they should trade Brohm for a young, talented left tackle.

Why not just ask for three first rounders? Neither is very likely to happen. :wink:

MichiganPackerFan
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
As someone suggested in another post, I'd take a Gilbert Burger in exchange. Or a six pack... Maybe a pack of gum... Some belly button lint? Anyone? Anyone?

rbaloha1
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Is patience a virtue with BB?

Pugger
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Why all the hate towards Brohm? He wasn't drafted to start. He was drafted to groom into a backup to Rodgers. Happily Flynn is doing well so we don't have to rush BB and can keep him as our 3rd stringer. Even if we wanted to move him how much trade value does he have right now anyway? I say keep in as the 3rd string and see if he improves. Rodgers wasn't all world in his second year either but we didn't NEED Rodgers to play at that time because we had Favre.

Fritz
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm with Pugger on this. Why all the concentrated hate on Brohm? There are so many players to choose from!

sharpe1027
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Might as well keep him around for another year, he has no trade value and there is nobody else on the roster. Maybe the light will go on next year, but if not, they will eventually have to cut their losses.

rbaloha1
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Why all the hate towards Brohm? He wasn't drafted to start. He was drafted to groom into a backup to Rodgers. Happily Flynn is doing well so we don't have to rush BB and can keep him as our 3rd stringer. Even if we wanted to move him how much trade value does he have right now anyway? I say keep in as the 3rd string and see if he improves. Rodgers wasn't all world in his second year either but we didn't NEED Rodgers to play at that time because we had Favre.

BB was a second round pick and deemed the most NFL ready of drafted qbs. Recall if ARod failed there was the possibility BB could start -- boy was that incorrect.

Its not hate but objective evaluations along with disappointment (what other could have been selected?)

Lurker64
08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Bring back Ingle Martin! At least he was funny...

hoosier
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe the Packers could hire Bobby Petrino to tutor Brohm and return him to form. Petrino is about due for a move.

MichiganPackerFan
08-17-2009, 01:08 PM

I guess it wasn't intended as hate, but more as an opportunity for some exaggerated humor and a look back and some of the forgotten names. He has certainly underperformed for where he was picked, but hate is a little stronger than I intended. I reserve that for the Vikings. (Sorry Ras, YOU'RE still great in my book!)

Patler
08-17-2009, 01:33 PM
You also have to evaluate the value of the roster spot. If the coaches hold no hope of the light going on for him, they may see more value in a 4th RB from among Wynn, Lumpkin and Sutton; maybe an extra D-lineman earns a spot, or another WR or LB. Not all teams keep 3 QBs, and there may be a more valuable player than Brohm if he doesn't show potential of getting it together. I think it is a stretch that they would give up on him that quickly, but when it comes down to having to let a player go at another position, a player who has performed very well, strange things can happen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I'd rather have another RB than Brohm. Brohm's best case value to the team is that he could bring a mid or lower round draft pick after his contract runs out. Even that looks unlikely.

bobblehead
08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
BB really does look lost out there to me, but hey, so did Rodgers at about this point.

pbmax
08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Rodgers was about as bad his first year, but you could see progress in Year 2. But it was only one game of four this preseason. If he improves, you won't remember game one. He also was out there with the 3s at times.

In Rodgers second year, he was clearly getting the #2 reps, wasn't he?

Packers4Ever
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Well said, Pugger, I totally agree!

Brohm was put there for a reason, not to be kicked around.
Both he and Flynn are 1st year, give them BOTH their chance
to excel. :roll: He might just be our #2 !!

Lurker64
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Rodgers was about as bad his first year, but you could see progress in Year 2. But it was only one game of four this preseason. If he improves, you won't remember game one. He also was out there with the 3s at times.

Brohm does have some advantages that Rodgers did not, coming out of college.

Aaron Rodgers was a junior college transfer who played only two seasons of major college football and declared for the NFL draft as a junior.

Brian Brohm got considerable playing time in four seasons at Louisville, and started his last three seasons.

Aaron Rodgers played in a gimmicky "system" offense that was notorious for turning out NFL busts.

Brian Brohm played in a so-called "pro-style" offense that would make him quickly ready to run an offense in the pros.

Aaron Rodgers played his first two seasons under two different offensive minds, only having access to the purported "quarterback shaping" genius of Mike McCarthy starting with his second year.

Brohm has had the same system now for two years, both under Mike McCarthy's tutelage.

etc.

Pugger
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Maybe hate was the wrong word but a lot of fans are ready to cut the guy right now and I think that would be very hasty. Not all players 'get it' at the same time frame so I'm not ready to call him a bust quite yet. Aren't we fortunate that one of the most discouraging things about Saturday's game was the play of our 3rd string QB? :wink:

mission
08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Recall if ARod failed there was the possibility BB could start -- boy was that incorrect.

This is the second or third time now I've seen you say this. What do you recall exactly? Who was saying that? BB has never entered into my thinking as a potential starting QB for us ... even at draft time. As I remember, there was a lot of talk about getting a veteran to come in and back up AR, but as camp went along, Flynn progressed to a point where MM/TT felt "comfortable with the situation" or whatever they kept repeating.

jmbarnes101
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Because Brian Brohm is currently composing his new novel New Adventures and Explorations in Sucking, I thought I'd track down the Maytag repairmen who donned the Green & Gold in the Quarterback position since Favre began his tenure. This list doesn't even include preseason cuts like Akili Smith and Tim Couch. A lot of them have gone on to have very successful careers, and others, well, not so much. So the question posed is, who should Brian Brohm be addressing in his "Special thanks to those who pioneered and blazed the trail to new unexplored territories of sucking" page of his book? Here's the list of QB's who have been on the regular season roster since 1992:

Rubley, T.J. - Tulsa - 1995 - 1

Until he does something as boneheaded in the regular season as the guy above I'll have no problem with him growing and learning as a 3rd string QB.

Iron Mike
08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Where's Kyle Wachholtz??? 8-)

Fritz
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Too early to give up on the guy even if you really love Kraig Lumpkin or Tyrell Sutton or whomever.

Seriously, how many teams would keep a 4th running back like Lumpkin or Sutton over a second-round QB who's in his second year?

That would be Al Davis-like.

Bossman641
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Recall if ARod failed there was the possibility BB could start -- boy was that incorrect.

This is the second or third time now I've seen you say this. What do you recall exactly? Who was saying that? BB has never entered into my thinking as a potential starting QB for us ... even at draft time. As I remember, there was a lot of talk about getting a veteran to come in and back up AR, but as camp went along, Flynn progressed to a point where MM/TT felt "comfortable with the situation" or whatever they kept repeating.

I remember the same thing. Right after drafting Brohm quite a few people (fans) thought he would end up better than Rodgers. Then they saw him throw the ball. :oops:

Merlin
08-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Rodgers was getting #2 reps his first year and some #1 reps his second. Rodgers looked like a deer caught in the headlights for 3 seasons, but he did get better and progress in the end and it appears his jumpiness in the pocket is gone (I hope for good now). Flynn plays like he is on a caffeine high, he just does everything full tilt and needs a little more control. Brohm looks like a deer that got hit by a car, no zip, no leadership, just kind of out there. That is very sad to me because coming out of college he looked to be the better of the two. I hope he gets the reps with the 2's because in our offense right now, the difference between #1 and #2 is not a heck of a lot outside of a player or two. The WR's all have talent, the RB's look to all be talented, and the OL is more or less the same hodge podge either way at this point. There is a HUGE difference from #2 to #3 this season, unlike when Rodgers came through, there was a big difference between #1 and #2 at almost every position accept guard. Being relegated to playing with #3 in Rodgers first few seasons would have slammed the door to him being the #2 QB and eventual #1.