PDA

View Full Version : yong o linemen played well

AV David
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I recorded the Browns game on the midnight replay at NFL channel.

After watching the game once, I watched it again just to watch Sitton, Barbre, Lang and Meredith. I often watched some plays 2 or 3 times.

Barbre: Played very well. The combo blocks with Sutton were consistently well done. He was beaten on a pass rush in the second series, but didn't give up. He made a desperation push that was just enough for Rodgers to juke the DE. Rodgers scrambled to the right, Barbre stayed with it and cut the guy as he was coming back. The pass was incomplete, but the point is he didn't go into a pout when he was beat. Barbre was consistently effective in 1 on 1 drive blocking and 1 on 1 pass blocking. Good push in the run blocking. Good at turning out the DE.

Sitton: I love this guy. He often had his guy 3 yards down the field in 1 on 1 drive blocks. Did VERY well on combo blocks with Barbre. Did well on pass blocking for the most part. One defender got a free shot on a twist. I am not sure if he was Sitton's man or not, but I suspect he was. He ran past Sitton on the inside. Sitton was not engaged at the time, looking for someone to block. The RB was in the right spot behind Sitton but whiffed. Other than that Sitton was terrific.

Meredith: Looked very good on pass and run blocks. Most of the run blocking was pretty easy, down blocking or combo blocking with the guard. He did consistently well on 1 on 1 pass blocking. The one screw up he had was pretty bad. He got turned sideways by the DL on a run play off tackle, so the play went nowhere. Other than that, he was better than average and better than I expected. He must be pretty strong, he moved an end off the line by 3 yards more than once. I am not saying he is ready to start, but he has a chance to be pretty good.

Lang: Is a lot like Sitton. Played well, mostly in the right place and plenty tough. He did look like he was thinking a half a beat slow at times. He got confused in a pass rush stunt once. All in all, good enough to play in this league. Very good first game ever.

I know it was the Browns. But Sitton, Barbre and Lang played a lot against the first team defense. I am not yet nominating any of them for the HOF, but there was a lot to be happy with on Saturday night.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the write up. I didn't see the game and have only seen one liners here and there on these guys.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Barbre: Played very well. The combo blocks with Sutton were consistently well done. He was beaten on a pass rush in the second series, but didn't give up. He made a desperation push that was just enough for Rodgers to juke the DE. Rodgers scrambled to the right, Barbre stayed with it and cut the guy as he was coming back. The pass was incomplete, but the point is he didn't go into a pout when he was beat. Barbre was consistently effective in 1 on 1 drive blocking and 1 on 1 pass blocking. Good push in the run blocking. Good at turning out the DE.

Sitton: I love this guy. He often had his guy 3 yards down the field in 1 on 1 drive blocks. Did VERY well on combo blocks with Barbre. Did well on pass blocking for the most part. One defender got a free shot on a twist. I am not sure if he was Sitton's man or not, but I suspect he was. He ran past Sitton on the inside. Sitton was not engaged at the time, looking for someone to block. The RB was in the right spot behind Sitton but whiffed. Other than that Sitton was terrific.

I thought those two were strong too. I think Sitton-Barbre on the right side are going to be crushers in run blocking this year. If Spitz can beat-out Wells, man we got a hell of an O-line.

bobblehead
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM

I thought those two were strong too. I think Sitton-Barbre on the right side are going to be crushers in run blocking this year. If Spitz can beat-out Wells, man we got a hell of an O-line.

But if wells proves to be too good for spitz to beat out our line won't be good??

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
But if wells proves to be too good for spitz to beat out our line won't be good??

Wells has already proved who he is over several seasons.

I hope Spitz can upgrade the position, he's a more stout player.

AV David
08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
"But if wells proves to be too good for spitz to beat out our line won't be good??"

Touche'

jmbarnes101
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Wells has already proved who he is over several seasons.

I hope Spitz can upgrade the position, he's a more stout player.

I agree 100%. Nice to see you and I can agree on some things.

wist43
08-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't know what you were looking at with Barbre... I only greased thru the game once, but I did watch him quite a bit.

His running blocking was okay, but he was matador like in pass protection... I'm going to go back and try to break the game down in more detail later in the week, but my initial impressions of Barbre were most definitely negative.

wist43
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
If Wells ends up the starter, and Spitz ends up at RG... it will be b/c they determined that the combination of Wells/Spitz is better than Sptiz/Sitton.

In effect, it would be that Wells beat out Sitton.

Can't imagine how that can be the case though, coz Wells sucks... or at least isn't a starting calibur NFL Center IMO.

retailguy
08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
His running blocking was okay, but he was matador like in pass protection...

This is the funniest line I've read in a long time. I am still laughing. Thanks! :D

Fritz
08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks AV for the informed opinion.