PDA

View Full Version : Report: Favre is on a plane to Minnesota

green_bowl_packer
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/report-favre-is-on-a-plane-to-minnesota/

Report: Favre is on a plane to Minnesota
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2009 10:57 AM ET
The folks at WISN-TV in Milwaukee report that Brett and Deanna Favre have boarded in Hattiesburg a plane bearing a Vikings logo, within the past hour.

The plane reportedly is bound for Minneapolis.

Wow.

The administrative office at Hattiesburg Laurel Regional Airport report that Favre is on the plane.

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
That's nothing. I'm on a boat.

http://18.media.tumblr.com/7gSB5gka1jot138csI7pEW2Fo1_500.jpg

Zool
08-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Im on a boat im my flippy floppies
Im flippin burgers you at Kinko's straight flippin copies

BallHawk
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm on the Vikings, throwing picks and shit.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
From the Minneapolis Star:

Reports: Favre to sign with Vikings today
Last update: August 18, 2009 - 10:13 AM

WCCO-TV is reporting that a high-level source with the Minnesota Vikings tells the station's Mark Rosen that quarterback Brett Favre is expected to sign with the team today.

Favre is on currently on his way to Minneapolis and is expected to sign with the team this afternoon, the station adding, citing its source.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/53567387.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Laugh all you want, cuz the Circus is back in town! :lol:

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
what the......:shock: :shock: :shock:

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 10:28 AM

LOLOLOL

sheepshead
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Woodson, Collins and Harris just pulled out their contracts to see how much extra bonus money per pick theyll make!

Fritz
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm leaving, on a jet plane.

Don't know when I'll be back again.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM

LOLOLOL

that actually IS funny

Tarlam!
08-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Wonder how it'll feel to him taking snaps in the Metrodome, dressed in Purple with the crowd actually cheering for him.

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
per ESPN News ticker: KCCO (minneapolis-TV) is reporting that Favre will sign a contract on Tuesday. I guess that's today, lol.

GrnBay007
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
WOW!!

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
minny is ALREADY most talented team in nfc.....

pack and minny will play THREE times this year

LETS GOOOOOOOOOO..........

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
That's nothing. I'm on a boat.

http://18.media.tumblr.com/7gSB5gka1jot138csI7pEW2Fo1_500.jpg

QFT

BlueBrewer
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Man that guy is a son of a bitch. What a joke he has become. The only bigger joke than Favre right now is Childress. He looks like such a little bitch right now. WTF!!!!!!!!!! I so wanted to be able to like Favre again....so much for that.

OkayKyle
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
So pumped for this season

BlueBrewer
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Wonder how it'll feel to him taking snaps in the Metrodome, dressed in Purple with the crowd actually cheering for him.

Half a crowd!!!

Packnut
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
He makes them a better team but still not a big deal. At this point in time, Rodgers is still the best QB in the NFC North and he has the most talented group of wideouts in the league period.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Do you really think Favre will increase the Vikings chances of success this year? My gut feeling is that this development will not go well for Minnesota, this year or in the future. Favre's talents, or what's left of them, don't mesh particularly well with the offensive talent Minnesota already has in place, which is predominantly run-oriented. Their team would be much more of a threat, IMO, with a QB who knows how to take care of the ball and who doesn't try to do too much. Take their impenetrable run defense, their phenomenal rushing offense and add Favre and what do you get? A monkey wrench in the well oiled machine. In that sense I couldn't be happier to hear that Favre is joining the Vikings. I hope Chilly doesn't wise up and call this experiment off before the regular season starts. By the same token, any hope of Jackson's development are now put on hold for another year, they still won't know what they have in Rosenfelds, and the team loses a bit more confidence in Chilly's good word. All of this is good news.

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Man that guy is a son of a bitch. What a joke he has become. The only bigger joke than Favre right now is Childress. He looks like such a little bitch right now. WTF!!!!!!!!!! I so wanted to be able to like Favre again....so much for that.

The decision may be above Childress.

The Vikings know he will fill seats, something they haven't exactly been stellar at over the past few years. Unless of course, at $3 a piece, lol.

I'm about sick to my stomach right now.

Deputy Nutz
08-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I knew he wouldn't let me down.

oregonpackfan
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm leaving, on a jet plane.

Don't know when I'll be back again.

You're showing your age, Fritz! Peter, Paul, and Mary would be proud of you! :lol:

PackerTimer
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
He makes them a better team but still not a big deal. At this point in time, Rodgers is still the best QB in the NFC North and he has the most talented group of wideouts in the league period.

I agree. The Packers have the better offense in my opinion. The Vikings have the better defense......maybe. But depending upon what happens with Pat and Kevin Williams, that may not be true. Even with those two I think the Packers have closed the gap. Everybody on ESPN is sayin that the Vikings are now clearly the team to beat in not only the NFC North but the whole NFC and I just don't know that I see it that way.

I also heard Mort say that he visited the Vikings almost two weeks ago and players were telling him that Favre would be a part of the Vikings if he didn't have to go through the early parts of training camp. He didn't want to stay in dorms, etc. Really? That is exactly the sort of shit nobody on the Packers wanted to deal with anymore. I think it's clear that Rodgers is the better QB at this point in their careers and he comes with less baggage. Is there anyone out there who honestly can still say that the Packers made the wrong choice?

Packnut
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM

I agree. The Packers have the better offense in my opinion. The Vikings have the better defense......maybe. But depending upon what happens with Pat and Kevin Williams, that may not be true. Even with those two I think the Packers have closed the gap. Everybody on ESPN is sayin that the Vikings are now clearly the team to beat in not only the NFC North but the whole NFC and I just don't know that I see it that way.

I also heard Mort say that he visited the Vikings almost two weeks ago and players were telling him that Favre would be a part of the Vikings if he didn't have to go through the early parts of training camp. He didn't want to stay in dorms, etc. Really? That is exactly the sort of shit nobody on the Packers wanted to deal with anymore. I think it's clear that Rodgers is the better QB at this point in their careers and he comes with less baggage. Is there anyone out there who honestly can still say that the Packers made the wrong choice?

I would say the Vikes have the better run D but I'm not sure about pass D. It's always been their achilles heel.

CaptainKickass
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
This season just got more "dramatic"...again.

I won't believe it until I see the headline that says he ACTUALLY signed.

Maybe he just flew up there to sell that damn condo he laid down cash for.

Deputy Nutz
08-18-2009, 11:00 AM

The Packers made the wrong choice last year.

Patler
08-18-2009, 11:00 AM

The problem as I see is that Favre doesn't have to be a big deal, or the best QB in the NFC North for the Vikings to be a contender. All he has to do is make the plays that a starting NFL QB should make. The Vikes haven't always gotten that from their QBs the last couple seasons. If their defense remains solid and Peterson remains healthy, Favre might be the last piece that the Vikings need.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
lol @ favre leading the nfl in 3rd down fumbles last year

PackerTimer
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM

The Packers made the wrong choice last year.

Well I guess there is at least one person out there who can say they made the wrong choice. :roll:

Rastak
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

The problem as I see is that Favre doesn't have to be a big deal, or the best QB in the NFC North for the Vikings to be a contender. All he has to do is make the plays that a starting NFL QB should make. The Vikes haven't always gotten that from their QBs the last couple seasons. If their defense remains solid and Peterson remains healthy, Favre might be the last piece that the Vikings need.

He may not even need to be healthy all year.....late in the season, call in the bullpen.

Anyway, if nothing else it sure as hell spices up the NFL this year, not that it needed it. Favre with the Vikes, Vick with the Eagles....should be interesting.

Packnut
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Well, the key here is can he still make lousy WR's better? Minny can stretch the field but they have no intermediate pass game. The key to defending a Favre led Viking offense is to take away the slant and the 3-4 is made just for that.

cheesner
08-18-2009, 11:14 AM
My prediction: Brent will play well in 2 games, those against the Pack, but the Vikes will still loose. He will play poorly most of the season. There will be a deep rooted rift in the viking lockerroom. The vikes will muster a 10-6 record and miss the playoffs. Brent will lead the league in INTs, will throw for about 3700 yards and 18 TDs and 31 INTs. He will always seem to make the timely error to cost a game. Chilly will be canned within 2 days after their final game.

He retires for good after this coming season, dejected, and a bit embarrassed. After a few years, he again is appreciated in WI, but there is no $25M marketing offer.

Packnut
08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
That's hilarious! All the books pulled the Vikes opening game off the board. Was -3. I'm guessing Favre makes it -7?

gbgary
08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
geesh! :roll:

speechless. oh well...fine.

Bossman641
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
If Favre wasn't dead to me before he just keeps putting nails in the coffin.

What a joke

Brando19
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't stand that bastard anymore. I'm so sick of hearing about him. I hope he sucks so bad, he'll be an embarassment to the NFL. It would be hilarious if he's so bad, he gets benched. Get ready for the circus that is Favre, Minnesota. Let the locker room divide!

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
I just boarded a Packer Toilet.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/packertoilet.jpg

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM

I guess a good question wrt his effect on the team is: does he believe that (the bolded statement)? Does he make the plays that a starting QB should make, or does he listen to the voices in his head?

GrnBay007
I knew he wouldn't let me down.

LOL!

bigcoz75
This season just got more "dramatic"...again.

I won't believe it until I see the headline that says he ACTUALLY signed.

Maybe he just flew up there to sell that damn condo he laid down cash for.

Bus Cook, the agent for quarterback Brett Favre, has just confirmed to the National Football Post that Favre will, in fact, sign a contract today with the Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-Cook-confirms-to-NFP-that-Favre-is-signing-today.html

rbaloha1
08-18-2009, 11:36 AM
BRING IT ON!

Patler
08-18-2009, 11:41 AM

I guess a good question wrt his effect on the team is: does he believe that (the bolded statement)? Does he make the plays that a starting QB should make, or does he listen to the voices in his head?

Yup. That will be the question to be answered. If he really wants another Super Bowl, he will be satisfied doing his little part to make it happen.

In all fairness to Favre, maybe he realizes that. In his GB "Farewell" press conference, he talked about how difficult it had become being Brett Favre in GB, and fulfilling fans' expectations. Maybe in MN, where QB was never expected to be the strength of the team, he won't be expected to be "Brett Favre".

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Do you really think Favre will increase the Vikings chances of success this year? My gut feeling is that this development will not go well for Minnesota, this year or in the future. Favre's talents, or what's left of them, don't mesh particularly well with the offensive talent Minnesota already has in place, which is predominantly run-oriented. Their team would be much more of a threat, IMO, with a QB who knows how to take care of the ball and who doesn't try to do too much. Take their impenetrable run defense, their phenomenal rushing offense and add Favre and what do you get? A monkey wrench in the well oiled machine. In that sense I couldn't be happier to hear that Favre is joining the Vikings. I hope Chilly doesn't wise up and call this experiment off before the regular season starts. By the same token, any hope of Jackson's development are now put on hold for another year, they still won't know what they have in Rosenfelds, and the team loses a bit more confidence in Chilly's good word. All of this is good news.

im certain that pack and minny will make playoffs now; what happens after that is anyone's guess

im not sure minny would make post season w/o lord favre

and u're right rodgers is best qb

favre has best intangibles

Pugger
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I donno Patler. I think some fans in MN will expect Favre to be the 1996 Favre and if he flops like he did in 2005 things could get ugly in MN. Gee, that just warms the cockles of my heart thinking about that... :wink:

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
In all fairness to Favre, maybe he realizes that. In his GB "Farewell" press conference, he talked about how difficult it had become being Brett Favre in GB, and fulfilling fans' expectations. Maybe in MN, where QB was never expected to be the strength of the team, he won't be expected to be "Brett Favre".

I dunno. He's been doing a pretty good Brett Favre impersonation so far this summer.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 11:51 AM

QFT

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Nothing can take away the sixteen years in GB, but I'm just worn out on all this. Aaron Rodgers was the right QB last year and he's the right QB this year. Adrian Peterson will open up the passing game for Favre for sure, but I'll take a 2009 trio of Harris, Woodson and Collins over a 2009 Favre. Any thoughts on who hits him first and how hard?

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
how does he have torn rotator cuff?

AV David
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
" ...favre has best intangibles..."

By intangibles, you cannot be referring to:

leadership by example
team first mentality
working hard for a common goal "I am such a great competitor I will do anything to win except: practice, training camp, stay in shape during the off season, dress with my teammates"

I would love to see a cold January playoff game in Lambeau Field between Packers and Vikes.

He will be a divisive figure for Vikes.

Rodgers is by far the better QB at this point. I am of the opinion A Rod would have beat him out last year; certainly by November.

Brad Childress is so on the hot seat, he might well bench him when he does is annual November swoon.

But I am not bitter.

Tarlam!
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I love Favre. I'm over the disappointment that I had. I still think he should have retired a Packer, but I wish him all the best i.e. an injury free season. And I know he'll be fun to watch those coupla times I'll see him this year.

Having said that, I will be cheering for the Pack to win every game just like I did last year and the previous years.

cheesner
08-18-2009, 12:08 PM

QFT
The problem is that Favre must be a big deal. He prides himself on being 'the gunslinger' and the 'riverboat gambler'. He sees himself right now, I would bet, as the hired gun, riding into town to clean up a messy situation.
Even during his golden days I was always POd when BF would make a bad decision, a stupid throw, and loose a game and then just kind of brush it off as, 'well, that is how I play the game.' And that attitude is what will get him in trouble in Minny. He doesn't have the WR corp to do a lot of the stuff he will want to do.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Greg_A_Bedard: Aaron Kampman: "The red jersey will be off."

cheesner
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

The BEST quote yet! :lol:

CaptainKickass
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Nothing can take away the sixteen years in GB, but I'm just worn out on all this. Aaron Rodgers was the right QB last year and he's the right QB this year. Adrian Peterson will open up the passing game for Favre for sure, but I'll take a 2009 trio of Harris, Woodson and Collins over a 2009 Favre. Any thoughts on who hits him first and how hard?

Kampman, and very.

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CaptainKickass
08-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Ha!

I didn't even see that befoe I posted.

Awesome.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
jon gruden is SWEATN this move

he says "the vikings are for real now; favre brings life to that org"

jaws said "they are the team to beat in nfc now. they are a complete team"

]{ilr]3
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Vikings fans line up in an attempt to touch the robes of Purple Jesus:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/vikings-fans-storm-winter-park/

Vikings fans "storm" Winter Park
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2009 1:13 PM ET
Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Vikings fans have "stormed" the team's facility in conjunction with the arrival there.

[UPDATE: Kudos to the reader who coined the phrase "Favrestock" in the comments.]

Writes Zulgad, on his Twitter page: "Favre has arrived and it looked like he was with Childress. Issue was lack of security as fans stormed Vikings property."

A reader says that traffic was backed up, with people parking their cars at the side of the road and heading directly to the building.

In an unrelated note, the likely will be no local blackouts of Vikings games this year.

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Kampman, and very.

Prob right, but just to be different: Jenkins and Raji at the same time.

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I believe Patler has it right. Play as needed and nothing more, the team goes very far. He has to know that he will not be the "star" on this team. Just the last piece of the puzzle. And I'm pretty confident that his int total at the end of the season will be low due to top D and top running game. Just won't need to throw very much. He may start off slow though do to newness and lack of timing with players. It's the right move for Chilly.

TheRaven
08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Bring him on. It will make beating the Vikings and winning the division that much sweeter.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I believe Patler has it right. Play as needed and nothing more, the team goes very far. He has to know that he will not be the "star" on this team. Just the last piece of the puzzle. And I'm pretty confident that his int total at the end of the season will be low due to top D and top running game. Just won't need to throw very much. He may start off slow though do to newness and lack of timing with players. It's the right move for Chilly.

Do you think his actions this summer, or previous history for that matter, suggest that he "knows" this and will "remember" it at all times?

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
This was one hell of a way to avoid training camp.

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Do you think his actions this summer, or previous history for that matter, suggest that he "knows" this and will "remember" it at all times?

He might suffer some amnesia during at least 2 games this year against a certain Green Bay team.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 12:55 PM

GREAT "football" move

Patler
08-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Kampman, and very.

That could leave a mark!

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:07 PM

And a big fat slow rookie will be on that side trying to block both Kamp AND Raji. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
All I have to say is that this is just wrong.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/440*294/favre_childress81908.jpg

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Especially with that coach known for keeping the reigns on him, Bevell, calling the plays.

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

And a big fat slow rookie will be on that side trying to block both Kamp AND Raji. :lol:

That big fat rookie looked good (for a rookie) Friday night.

Is'nt Raji fat.......... and a rookie?

The biggest difference this will make for the Vikings is that opposing defenses cannot stack the box anymore. Peterson is going to run wild.

Packerarcher
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Funny how most of you say Rodgers is so much better and you are happy Brett is gone but you keep re-hashing this,sounds like bitterness and jelousy to me. You all sound like you can't get over an ex lover.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:17 PM

The biggest difference this will make for the Vikings is that opposing defenses cannot stack the box anymore. Peterson is going to run wild.

Raji isn't asked to be a fleet footed pass blocker, he is asked to be an unmovable wall.

Box count is a function of formation moreso than any sort of "fear" of individuals. Chilly wants them to stop stacking the box, start throwing passes at a sufficient quantity out of given formations to make defensive reads pass instead of run.

Brett almost surely is the worst deep thrower on the team. By a long shot. Brett can throw a slant with the best of 'em (incidentally best defended by a stacked box), but absolutely blows chunks at a sideline go or deep out. It is good to leave a S back deep though for undercutting the deep routes, Brett misses short, short missed deep picked by safeties turn into a lot of pick 6's.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Funny how most of you say Rodgers is so much better and you are happy Brett is gone but you keep re-hashing this,sounds like bitterness and jelousy to me. You all sound like you can't get over an ex lover.

Rehashing this?

It is a fairly big news event that Brett has signed.

He sucked when he was here for the last several years, what is there to fear. MM figured out how to hide Brett's deficiencies. I wouldn't think so highly of Chilly and Bevell.

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 01:20 PM

I would assume that if he is not "the guy" on the team, any time he tries to go outside the parameters that he will be guided by team leaders to get back on track. Not Chilly but guys like AP-KW-Winfield. But in the end, it is all a calculated risk no matter how you play this.

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Jeez. Looking at that picture makes me feel like a stalker.

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Raji isn't asked to be a fleet footed pass blocker, he is asked to be an unmovable wall.

Box count is a function of formation moreso than any sort of "fear" of individuals. Chilly wants them to stop stacking the box, start throwing passes at a sufficient quantity out of given formations to make defensive reads pass instead of run.

Brett almost surely is the worst deep thrower on the team. By a long shot. Brett can throw a slant with the best of 'em (incidentally best defended by a stacked box), but absolutely blows chunks at a sideline go or deep out. It is good to leave a S back deep though for undercutting the deep routes, Brett misses short, short missed deep picked by safeties turn into a lot of pick 6's.

Have you seen a Vikings game lately? Defenses fear Peterson. They stack the box accordingly.

Ballboy
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Shall we start to pool our money for the proverbial bounty on Brett's Ass?!!

My money is on Desmond "night stalker" Bishop. The guys seems to arrive angry.

It will be interesting how this plays out. Given Bretts performance last year, will defenses really fear his arm as much as they did in Green Bay? Even more so, much like Chicago, Minny still has NO receivers; Berrian is junk, Wade is junk and Harvin is a rookie. IF these receivers were so great, why didn't they make the other Minny QB's look better?

]{ilr]3
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM

I would say it is you who sounds like the jilted lover :roll:

hoosier
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM

I would assume that if he is not "the guy" on the team, any time he tries to go outside the parameters that he will be guided by team leaders to get back on track. Not Chilly but guys like AP-KW-Winfield. But in the end, it is all a calculated risk no matter how you play this.

It's clear to me that you don't know Brett. Live and learn. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know how it will play out. Favre could lead them to the title. I do know that will be the expectation. We'll see how it plays out.

Patler
08-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Do you really think any player on the Vikings could (would) do that with Favre?
By "AP" do you mean Adrian Peterson? Great player, sure; but a big enough leader to go up to BRETT FAVRE and put him in his place? I doubt it. I don't think most teams have an individual with a big enough personality to do that.

There are only three people who might be able to "control" Brett Favre, and in order of importance they are:

- Favre
- Childress
- Bevell

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Yeah, that's pretty wishful thinking.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM

lmao....

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Best part about this....

Brett is a winner and loser

Hopefully Brett makes them good and bad enough for a wildcard win. Winning enough games to get in, but losing enough with his gunslangin' ways to cede the division to us.

Then Chilly keeps his job, thus avoiding the possibility of one of 5 coaches on/potentially on the market with rings (Shanny, Gruden, Cowher, Homgren, Dungy) going to Mn to coach. Also giving them a draft pick that isn't ideal in a draft of riches at the QB position, with multiple Heisman winners coming out that went back for more seasoning.

For anti-Chilly fans that just want a good young QB of the future and a competant coach, today hasn't go so well, 'eh.

Patler
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM

I thought the Vikings had practice at 1:30? Childress had nothing better to do than be Favre's chauffeur? I'm not sure that being Favre's "buddy" is the best way to handle this.

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Kampman, and very.

That could leave a mark!

I'll take Bishop or Barnett or both. Solid shoulder to the chest. Brett will bounce up like nothing happened, but his next throw will be a wobbly duck to Woodson: Pick 6! This isn't like playing Tampa when he was 10 years younger.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
lol @ Childress driving Favre around.........anyone who thinks Chilly is gonna get in Favres face after the first interception is kidding themselves.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM

I thought the Vikings had practice at 1:30? Childress had nothing better to do than be Favre's chauffeur? I'm not sure that being Favre's "buddy" is the best way to handle this.

nit picking....

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm not so sure he's his "buddy" so much as he is his "bitch".

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

:lol: I'm not convinced Chilly ever really grasped the "good management" part of the HC job.

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Favre's on the practice field wearing #4 according to reports.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Favre's on the practice field wearing #4 according to reports.

So yeah, like this hasn't been preplanned, they had his equipment and jersey already ready. Mmmk.

Patler
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM

nit picking....

That's what I'm here for! :lol:

Packgator
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
He sucked when he was here for the last several years, what is there to fear.

That is the part that isn't talked about much. Not only did defenses stop fearing him quite a while ago.....but they actually licked their chops while looking forward to playing against him. The Vikings are getting a guy who once was a very good QB but is no longer what he once was. And hasn't been for some time now.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm surprised Brett agreed to ride in his car.

http://www.cinderella-carriage.com/photography/princess1.jpg

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 01:58 PM

nit picking....

That's what I'm here for! :lol:

he he he....

favre to start friday v. KC per chilly

lmao at the OJ-like coverage of favre in truck w/chilly

LEWCWA
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM

This sounds more like water cooler or watering hole banter than anything that remotely makes sense! Wishful thinking maybe

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Hoosier, Favre has never had anyone on the team that could make him not the guy. If you think of those I mentioned will be afraid to get in his face, then I don't think you understand interpersonal dynamics.

CaptainKickass
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Per NFL Network update:

Favre signed a TWO YEAR contract w/MN.

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM

This sounds more like water cooler or watering hole banter than anything that remotely makes sense! Wishful thinking maybe

The discussion forum is the water cooler of the internets.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
steve young says pack still class of division

Partial
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
:(

pbmax
08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Completely predictable. I cannot wait for the season to start. He can now show Cutler how to play QB-GM the right way. :lol:

Tarlam!
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
He sucked when he was here for the last several years, what is there to fear. MM figured out how to hide Brett's deficiencies. I wouldn't think so highly of Chilly and Bevell.

He never sucked "here" in the way you mean it. He had some bad games, maybe a bad 2005, but to say he sucked is simply an exaggeration.

I wholeheartedly agree that M3 figured out a way to contain him for the better part. His age got him, IMHO, in the Giants failure and towards the end of last season.

But, that performance he put on at Lambeau before the Giants failure was incredible.

BallHawk
08-18-2009, 02:11 PM

That is the part that isn't talked about much. Not only did defenses stop fearing him quite a while ago.....but they actually licked their chops while looking forward to playing against him. The Vikings are getting a guy who once was a very good QB but is no longer what he once was. And hasn't been for some time now.

Exactly. When we played the Giants in the NFC Championship game, in the postgame interviews, the players were all saying "The coaches told us, and we knew, that Favre was gonna throw a big interception. We just had to wait for it."

It wasn't a matter of if, but when.

And, while I know he has Peterson helping him out, he still has a rather inadequate WR corps. Berrian will garner attention from the defense, just like Driver did. Who's gonna step up and be his Greg Jennings?

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Hoosier, Favre has never had anyone on the team that could make him not the guy.

Ignorant.

http://cpapsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/reggie.jpg

denverYooper
08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Hoosier, Favre has never had anyone on the team that could make him not the guy.

Ignorant.

Win.

Partial
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Exactly. When we played the Giants in the NFC Championship game, in the postgame interviews, the players were all saying "The coaches told us, and we knew, that Favre was gonna throw a big interception. We just had to wait for it."

And, while I know he has Peterson helping him out, he still has a rather inadequate WR corps. Berrian will garner attention from the defense, just like Driver did. Who's gonna step up and be his Greg Jennings?

Do you need a GJ when you've got a Peterson? I think he'll probably do pretty bad personally because he hasn't worked out in a long time.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM

He never sucked "here" in the way you mean it. He had some bad games, maybe a bad 2005, but to say he sucked is simply an exaggeration.

I wholeheartedly agree that M3 figured out a way to contain him for the better part. His age got him, IMHO, in the Giants failure and towards the end of last season.

But, that performance he put on at Lambeau before the Giants failure was incredible.

You mean the game where Grant set the franchise record for rushing yards? The game that Bigby absolutely dominated?

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Ignorant.

Win.

+1

Reggie = God.

Anyways, Fun Fact

Brees: 5.0 million
Brady: 8.0 million
Rodgers: 8.1 million
Rivers: 9.0 million
Peyton: 11.5 million

Favre: 12 million

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Ignorant.

Actually you make my point, while correcting me. The only time he did have someone like that, they won.

bbbffl66
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Once more. 25-7 in 32 games prior to the injury. Yep, pretty sucky. Quit belittling his talent. He still is better than at least half of NFL QB's right now. And a huge upgrade for the Queens. I'd put money on at least the NFCN title for them now. All in all this sucks! :evil:

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Once more. 25-7 in 32 games prior to the injury. Yep, pretty sucky. Quit belittling his talent. He still is better than at least half of NFL QB's right now. And a huge upgrade for the Queens. I'd put money on at least the NFCN title for them now. All in all this sucks! :evil:

Ill take that bet.

Packnut
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Rehashing this?

Sucked when he was here the last several years? What a stupid thing to say. I'm sure several QB's would love to suck the way he did in 07. Hate Favre if it makes you sleep better, but please don't try to re-write history to suit your opinion......

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Actually you make my point, while correcting me. The only time he did have someone like that, they won.

Try again.

http://www.nopactalent.com/speakerphotos/photos/4282Sterling_Sharpe.jpg

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Try again.

And again.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/pack4life789/CharlesWoodson.jpg

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Try again.

And again.

I think I disagree. Brett was still the man while Chuck was here. But Sterling was definitely "the guy" when he and Brett played together.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Favre was the guy, but don't kid yourself. Woodson was the better player.

But I digress.

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Try again.

And again.

And again. Although I don't think Sharpe was much of a leader.

Chevelle, do you have anything of consequence to add? You may have more knowledge of the Packers than I do, especially since I'm not a fan. But I think my point is still valid even if the execution could have been better.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Hoosier, Favre has never had anyone on the team that could make him not the guy. If you think of those I mentioned will be afraid to get in his face, then I don't think you understand interpersonal dynamics.

I'm not thinking about whether or not any of the Vikings you mentioned would be "afraid of getting in his face," I'm thinking of whether or not Brett would feel compelled to listen to them! I'm sure you've read enough about Brett being Brett to know thta he hasn't always considered himself as "one of the guys." What makes you think he will suddenly start bowing to peer pressure?

But now that you mention it, AP sounds like an all-around great guy, but is he a leader? Judging from that report of him deciding to gain 10lbs based on a pool-side conversation at the Pro Bowl I think he sounds more like an impressionable youngster. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him put Brett in his place.

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm not thinking about whether or not any of the Vikings you mentioned would be "afraid of getting in his face," I'm thinking of whether or not Brett would feel compelled to listen to them! I'm sure you've read enough about Brett being Brett to know thta he hasn't always considered himself as "one of the guys." What makes you think he will suddenly start bowing to peer pressure?

But now that you mention it, AP sounds like an all-around great guy, but is he a leader? Judging from that report of him deciding to gain 10lbs based on a pool-side conversation at the Pro Bowl I think he sounds more like an impressionable youngster. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him put Brett in his place.

Very reasonable.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Labeling the post "water cooler banter" is itself water cooler banter. If you see a flaw in what I wrote or have a different take on things, feel free to enlighten me.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
But I think my point is still valid even if the execution could have been better.

Your execution couldn't have been any better even if you had put your head in a guillotine. :lol:

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Try again.

And again.

Chevelle, do you have anything of consequence to add? You may have more knowledge of the Packers than I do, especially since I'm not a fan. But I think my point is still valid even if the execution could have been better.

I guess it depends on what you mean when you say "the guy"

Are you talking about who is a better player? Or who is a better leader? Or a better media guy etc

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh, and funny story:

Favre beyond 20 yards last season:

13/57
435 yards
5 scores
10 picks

48.5 Rating

:roll:

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
But I think my point is still valid even if the execution could have been better.

Your execution couldn't have been any better even if you had put your head in a guillotine. :lol:

Sounds like a John McKay quote. :)

SkinBasket
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Is Childress going to drive him to the huddle on a cart too?

Fritz
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
For those of you who might've seen the Pee Wee Herman Show (not the one featuring him in a dark movie theater), let me just say this:

"Let the cartoons begin!"

On another thread, Woody mentioned people getting angry about Favre who is, Woody wrote, one of the most respected players in Packer history.

Uh, my respect for the guy is at zero. I think of him now more like Scott's picture of the princess by the carriage.

But I am glad he's playing and has managed the whole affair as he has. I just don't see this working in the Vikings' advantage in the long run, though I expect Favre will have his moments and those moments will provoke the Favre contingent to throw a few "I told you so's" around.

So as a Packer fan, I'm on board with this move.

Tarlam!
08-18-2009, 02:53 PM

You mean the game where Grant set the franchise record for rushing yards? The game that Bigby absolutely dominated?

Yeah, the same game that saw him take up the challenge of leading a 14 point deficit after a few played minutes comeback. Or, do you really want to sit back and tell me that he had nothing to do with that? Do you think Grants pat on the ass from #4 had no bearing after his fumbles? Do you think Bigby and the D didn't feed of the offensive leader?

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh, and funny story:

Favre beyond 20 yards last season:

13/57
435 yards
5 scores
10 picks

48.5 Rating

:roll:

Here's another

When they are down 16 all the way to if they are up 8 points....Favre's QB rating was 81.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Yeah, the same game that saw him take up the challenge of leading a 14 point deficit after a few played minutes comeback. Or, do you really want to sit back and tell me that he had nothing to do with that? Do you think Grants pat on the ass from #4 had no bearing after his fumbles? Do you think Bigby and the D didn't feed of the offensive leader?

He's 2-7 his last 9 playoff games.....

Scott Campbell
On another thread, Woody mentioned people getting angry about Favre who is, Woody wrote, one of the most respected players in Packer history.

Uh, my respect for the guy is at zero. I think of him now more like Scott's picture of the princess by the carriage.

Is there a more hated man in the state of Wisconsin?

mngolf19

Try again.

And again.

I guess it depends on what you mean when you say "the guy"

Are you talking about who is a better player? Or who is a better leader? Or a better media guy etc

I'd say not better but who seems to have the most control or influence. Face of the franchise maybe?

SkinBasket
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Not now that Doyle has announced he's not seeking re-election.

LP

Childress is probably just interviewing for his next job after this season.

Favre's chauffer.

mngolf19

Gov. Doyle? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Favre's chauffer.

Awesome!

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I wonder if Chilly is willing to cart around AP.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Favre's chauffer.

If that is the case, then he must be wondering where he'll be chauffering Favre next year. Back to Hattiesburg, then Minniapolis? Or will there be another destination? There are, after all, 29 more NFL teams to choose from next year.

Gunakor
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Favre's chauffer.

If that is the case, then he must be wondering where he'll be chauffering Favre next year. Back to Hattiesburg, then Minniapolis? Or will there be another destination? There are, after all, 29 more NFL teams to choose from next year.

You assume this is all about football. Only 2 other teams in the NFL offer Brett the opportunity to prove his point, should he not prove that point this year with the Vikings. I think Chilly has it pretty much narrowed down.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-11-65/The-issue-of-Favre-s-stamina.html

Fritz
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Favre's chauffer.

You assume this is all about football. Only 2 other teams in the NFL offer Brett the opportunity to prove his point, should he not prove that point this year with the Vikings. I think Chilly has it pretty much narrowed down.

True, true. And he'd be a great change-of-pace from Cutler in Chicago! :)

hoosier
08-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Let's hope Minn doesn't have any home playoff games next January. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Man, he looks old.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2009/0818/20090818__favrevikings_300.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x134/turncoats1/Favre.jpg

Waldo
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Ummmm..........

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-11-68/Where-s-Waldo-.html?post=true

You ever need this Favre info to deliver pwnage uninformed fans, it it the first post I made on my blog.

Fosco33
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I guess Sears has their answer for how the commercial ends up...

Or do they?

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/vikingfavre2.jpg

Rastak
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Hutch is lookin mean though........http://www.startribune.com/photos/?c=y&img=cropfavre.jpg

LP
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Ignorant.

Yes they did.

The problem is you can add up the entire Vikings organization and still not have the stature and integrity of a Reggie White. Especially after the crap they have put up with so far. And even if they did, I think Favre believes that he's better yet.

Fosco33
08-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Ummmm..........

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-11-68/Where-s-Waldo-.html?post=true

You ever need this Favre info to deliver pwnage uninformed fans, it it the first post I made on my blog.

Rough... (double checked by ESPN). Who's Robbie anyway?

Waldo, I'd like to get your take on some of my ranking tools. I'll let you link on your blog if you'd like. Over the years, they have some predictive elements.

Also, we play Brett twice in his 'sweet spot'. Doh.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Hutch is lookin mean though........http://www.startribune.com/photos/?c=y&img=cropfavre.jpg

I don't know, as I see it meanness always gets cancelled out when you dress in purple. He just looks like the big goofy lumberjack in the Coen brothers movie Fargo. http://gravybread.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/lumberjack_bangormn-crp.jpg

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favrebailout.flv

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favremoonshot.flv

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
keep those vids comin!!

:lol:

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
keep those vids comin!!

shut up, troll.

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Man, he looks old.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2009/0818/20090818__favrevikings_300.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x134/turncoats1/Favre.jpg

Those don't even look real to me. Maybe because I don't want them to be. :(

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favreslastGBtoss.flv

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
keep those vids comin!!

shut up, troll.

How the hell am I a troll?

Because the Packers are my favorite team or something?

Zool
08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
To sum up my feelings on this whole buisness

Fuck this. Play for the fucking Vikings. But don't expect all your previous fans will forgive and forget when its all over. Shit burger.

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Fuck this. Play for the fucking Vikings. But don't expect all your previous fans will forgive and forget when its all over. Shit burger.

lol..hope he doesnt slit his wrists b/c some of his past "fans" have jumped ship

Zool
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM

lol..hope he doesnt slit his wrists b/c some of his past "fans" have jumped ship

Kinda hope he do

Don't you have a Viking board to go signup for?

GBRulz
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
keep those vids comin!!

shut up, troll.

IMO, by cheering on those vids, you are happy we lost those games. Doesn't sound like much of a fan to me. Forgive me for being emotional, but you've always been a Favre basher around here.

Fosco33
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Wouldn't happen. He'd just about want to end it, then figure he's got another year left or so. Then after a few years of debating - he'd really do it -- buy the Gillette Mach 3 and even write the letter... But then he'd switch minds and go with the Schick Quattro (just to stick it to the president of Gillette).

:P

mraynrand
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
keep those vids comin!!

shut up, troll.

IMO, by cheering on those vids, you are happy we lost those games. Doesn't sound like much of a fan to me. Forgive me for being emotional, but you've always been a Favre basher around here.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=notfavre.flv

BallHawk
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Do you need a GJ when you've got a Peterson? I think he'll probably do pretty bad personally because he hasn't worked out in a long time.

I think you still need a viable WR. Favre got a large amount of TDs on short passes where his WRs were able to rack up YAC and get into the end zone. I'm no Vikings expert, but I think it is safe to say that nobody can match the caliber of the 1-2 he had with Driver and Jennings. They both contributed to each others' success. You go after Jennings, he'll hit Driver and vice-versa. Sure, defenses will put more in the box to stop Peterson, but Favre's still gonna need a guy besides Berrian and Peterson to step up.

hoosier
08-18-2009, 04:23 PM

I think you still need a viable WR. Favre got a large amount of TDs on short passes where his WRs were able to rack up YAC and get into the end zone. I'm no Vikings expert, but I think it is safe to say that nobody can match the caliber of the 1-2 he had with Driver and Jennings. They both contributed to each others' success. You go after Jennings, he'll hit Driver and vice-versa. Sure, defenses will put more in the box to stop Peterson, but Favre's still gonna need a guy besides Berrian and Peterson to step up.

Rice and Harvin are their best hopes. And Shiancoe as a safety valve. I think the Vikings receivers are underrated, just as their D is a bit overrated IMO. It will be interesting to see if Brett does his annual fade or self-immolation playing in the comfort of a dome. If he doesn't I think I'll fly up there and blow that fricking garbage bag up. :lol:

pbmax
08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
If Peter King actually has this right (and after being wrong about Favre 73 times in six months-there is good reason to have doubt) then its an open question who is in charge of this relationship:

Childress has looked like a desperate man throughout this melodrama. He made it known internally that Favre had to do at least some work in the offseason program or the veteran mini-camp to be considered. Favre never showed. Then he had to come by the start of camp. Favre didn't come, opting for his third false retirement in 17 months. Now the Vikings let him come back after the team has gone through training camp. Favre's the wishy-washiest player in memory -- and the Vikings are his enablers. It's ridiculous.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/18/favre/index.html?eref=sihpT1

pbmax
08-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Could the Vike fans on board chime in on whose offensive system the Vikings most resemble?

Is it Reid and the Eagles (via Childress) or Sherman and the Packers (via Bevell)?

Some of this attraction would make sense if he thought he was miscast under McCarthy and wanted to return to Sherman's system. The same could be said for Reid, but his information about Reid would be over a decade old.

MJZiggy
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
For those of you who might've seen the Pee Wee Herman Show (not the one featuring him in a dark movie theater), let me just say this:

"Let the cartoons begin!"

At this point, I think the movie theater one is more fitting.

mmmdk
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Deanna: 'Did ya sleep well (on the plane)?'
BF: 'No, I made a few mistakes!'

Deputy Nutz
08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I love Favre. I'm over the disappointment that I had. I still think he should have retired a Packer, but I wish him all the best i.e. an injury free season. And I know he'll be fun to watch those coupla times I'll see him this year.

Having said that, I will be cheering for the Pack to win every game just like I did last year and the previous years.

Well everyone knows I am a Favre guy, although I am a little annoyed that he wouldn't just man up and be ready to go by the start of training camp. I know he isn't 100% concerned about his image but I think that was a bit bush league. I think coming out and retiring 3 times is a bit much as well.

Having said all that, this is a performance league, and if he can perform nobody is going to give two squirts of piss about everything leading up to this season. He falters he will continue to be one of the most hated persons in the Twin Cities.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I am a little annoyed that he wouldn't just man up and be ready to go by the start of training camp. I know he isn't 100% concerned about his image but I think that was a bit bush league.

I accept his explanation that the torn rotator cuff complicated his decision. if he had a clean bill of health he would have come back sooner.

I believe he is coming back now because he decided he can't stand to stay away from football.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I accept his explanation that the torn rotator cuff complicated his decision.

I don't believe anything he says.

pbmax
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
I am a little annoyed that he wouldn't just man up and be ready to go by the start of training camp. I know he isn't 100% concerned about his image but I think that was a bit bush league.

I accept his explanation that the torn rotator cuff complicated his decision. if he had a clean bill of health he would have come back sooner.

I believe he is coming back now because he decided he can't stand to stay away from football.
He has known he had multiple injuries since his winter send off physical from the Jets. There were reports that the rotator cuff had been bothering him in Green Bay as well. It hasn't gotten better in two weeks. As he continues to play, it will only get worse. It might be a reason to avoid two weeks of work, but its not complicated.

Now watch MrAynRand show up and tell me off about rotator cuff injuries like he did about microfracture.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
He has known he had multiple injuries since his winter send off physical from the Jets. There were reports that the rotator cuff had been bothering him in Green Bay as well. It hasn't gotten better in two weeks. As he continues to play, it will only get worse. It might be a reason to avoid two weeks of work, but its not complicated .

He didn't know he had a torn rotator cuff until after the surgery, and certainly not a reliable diagnosis of the extent.

I'm not saying the injury is complicated, I'm sure the speicialist gave him a clear picture of the likelihoods. The decision was complicated given his condition. I believe he made a sincere decision to stay out 3 weeks ago. He would have made a different choice without the rotator cuff. And now the flip flop - FAvre acting on his gut instinct, not surprising.

pbmax
08-18-2009, 09:14 PM
He has known he had multiple injuries since his winter send off physical from the Jets. There were reports that the rotator cuff had been bothering him in Green Bay as well. It hasn't gotten better in two weeks. As he continues to play, it will only get worse. It might be a reason to avoid two weeks of work, but its not complicated .

He didn't know he had a torn rotator cuff until after the surgery, and certainly not a reliable diagnosis of the extent.

I'm not saying the injury is complicated, I'm sure the speicialist gave him a clear picture of the likelihoods. The decision was complicated given his condition. I believe he made a sincere decision to stay out 3 weeks ago. He would have made a different choice without the rotator cuff. And now the flip flop - FAvre acting on his gut instinct, not surprising.
It cannot be positively proven he had a rotator cuff problem (unless there was a diagnostic procedure we are unaware of), but he had a shoulder problem pre-dating his arrival with the Jets. And unless I miss the mark, his injury was suspected as a rotator cuff problem at the time. I have seen reports that they knew it with the Jets and that it was an extension of a problem he had at the end on Green Bay. He has talked about that injury (pre-bicep tendon) on several occasions.

superfan
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Favre? I remember him, Jets QB last year. Eh, how is this signing any different than another old QB, Jeff Garcia, signing with the Raiders. :roll:

:D

http://gaspedal.com/wp-content/uploads/never-forget-you-brent.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Excellent point. Someone else mentioned how his best throw was the slant. They always had WR's who could rack up the YAC.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 08:01 AM

I think he has a hard time ending his life's work and career at age 39. Consequently, there is a tremendous amount of confusion. The only argument that I really buy is "I don't want to look back in 5, 10 years and ask 'What if?'"

There may be merit to all the other arguments posted, revenge, competitive spirit, stick it to GB, ego, etc. But I can't personally see myself retiring in a couple of years and asking, what the hell am I going to do with the next 50 years of my life. And doing it under a microscope.

I also know if I had a chance, I would certainly take advantage of an opportunity that paid me well, gave me a chance to do what I love, and also allowed me to get back at the people who laid me off in Michigan and forced me to leave my home, even though I know my wife & I are in a better place in DC. I would love to get some revenge there.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Rehashing this?

Sucked when he was here the last several years? What a stupid thing to say. I'm sure several QB's would love to suck the way he did in 07. Hate Favre if it makes you sleep better, but please don't try to re-write history to suit your opinion......

Right on. He dealt with a Coach GM who was dead set on excelling in mediocrity for several seasons, where the team overspent on average rather than upside. And despite that, still had winning season after winning season. The 2007 edition of Favre deserved the MVP, or at least serious consideration.

Merlin
08-21-2009, 08:12 AM

ESPN did a stat where Rodgers is has the most experience in the NFC North with their current team. Cullpecker is still a Lion but Staford (sp?) should beat him out and even ol Daunte only has like 4 games or something with the Lions. Bear - Cutler - 0, Lions - Staford - 0, Vikings - Favre - 0, Packers - Rodgers -16.

:)

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Wouldn't happen. He'd just about want to end it, then figure he's got another year left or so. Then after a few years of debating - he'd really do it -- buy the Gillette Mach 3 and even write the letter... But then he'd switch minds and go with the Schick Quattro (just to stick it to the president of Gillette).

lol....actually, i think the best thing he said in presser was that its HIS legacy..other cats will leave a MUCH worse legacy than simply changing his mind ALOT....he's no dutch schultz for crying out loud; he's not even a whack republican teen-age girl loving bama like chumura. proper perspective is needed for folk to stop viewing favre as some sorta scumbag

add this to his legacy too: he will get TT snake tail ("this guy" lol) fired in 1.5 to 2 years

ThunderDan
08-21-2009, 11:47 AM

lol....actually, i think the best thing he said in presser was that its HIS legacy..other cats will leave a MUCH worse legacy than simply changing his mind ALOT....he's no dutch schultz for crying out loud; he's not even a whack republican teen-age girl loving bama like chumura. proper perspective is needed for folk to stop viewing favre as some sorta scumbag

add this to his legacy too: he will get TT snake tail ("this guy" lol) fired in 1.5 to 2 years

Sorry Mobb. You don't get to determine what your legacy is. It is what is passed down to the next generation. As much as Lord Favre wants to think that only his play between the lines counts anything he does off the field also affects his legacy.

Why the hate for TT "snake tail"? I thought this was ENTERTAINMENT!!

Patler
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I have been surprised at how critical more and more reporters have become about Favre. The dance with the Vikings has pushed many more over the edge of exasperation with the whole story. I am surprised at how across-the-board critical the writers at the National Football Post are. Even the NFL itself, on its own website, had article titles that almost ridiculed the situation.

Short term, that will affect his legacy. Twenty-five years from now, very few will remember how and why he played for the Vikings, they will just know that he did. Beyond that time his legacy will be his stats and the video archives. By and large, the Favre stories will be exceedingly positive except for a small percentage of grudge-bearing Packer fans. After they die off, none of this will matter.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
After they die off, none of this will matter.

That's why its so important that we teach the children.

Patler
08-21-2009, 12:39 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I have been surprised at how critical more and more reporters have become about Favre. The dance with the Vikings has pushed many more over the edge of exasperation with the whole story. I am surprised at how across-the-board critical the writers at the National Football Post are. Even the NFL itself, on its own website, had article titles that almost ridiculed the situation.

Short term, that will affect his legacy. Twenty-five years from now, very few will remember how and why he played for the Vikings, they will just know that he did. Beyond that time his legacy will be his stats and the video archives. By and large, the Favre stories will be exceedingly positive except for a small percentage of grudge-bearing Packer fans. After they die off, none of this will matter.

IDK, if this had happened in the middle of his career, I would be more inclined to believe that. As it is, so much will be said about how well/bad happens this season. You think it will be forgoten what happened if he goes on to win the Superbowl, or if he gets benched and it ends his consecutive streak? Or what if Rodgers out-plays him this year and in 25 years people remember how HoF QB Rodgers overcame adversity in the Favre situation?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it diminish from what it is at this moment. I just think it is part of the package that will not be forgotten, much Babe Ruth's exit from Boston or Namath's prediction or any number of other memorable events that define how an athlete is forever remembered.

Patler
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
IDK, if this had happened in the middle of his career, I would be more inclined to believe that. As it is, so much will be said about how well/bad happens this season. You think it will be forgoten what happened if he goes on to win the Superbowl, or if he gets benched and it ends his consecutive streak? Or what if Rodgers out-plays him this year and in 25 years people remember how HoF QB Rodgers overcame adversity in the Favre situation?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it diminish from what it is at this moment. I just think it is part of the package that will not be forgotten, much Babe Ruth's exit from Boston or Namath's prediction or any number of other memorable events that define how an athlete is forever remembered.

Ruth from Boston to NY was crucial to his overall career.
Namath's prediction was in a game that changed the NFL forever, giving substance to the AFL. Much more significance than a player winning one last championship.

If Favre is benched to end the streak, if he gets injured and is done, it will merely be an anecdote to how the streak ended. A player played a year too long. Nothing too exciting in that. It happens all the time. A team tried for one last ride on a future Hall of Famer, and didn't make it. Again, nothing very interesting or unique in that just a few years later.

Even if Favre wins a SB with the Vikings, not too many years down the road no one will remember the on-again off-again courtship of the offseason. No one will remember that he managed to skip two-a-days in TC. He won't have left the Packers to come to MN. In history the Packers will not be blamed, because they were right in 2008. At best it will be remembered that Favre summoned a good performance at the end of his career, but a few years from now it will not have much to do with the Jets or Packers, unless by some odd chance he happens to beat the Packers in the NFC Championship game or something. That will make a nice story, but not very crucial to Favre's overall legacy after even Rodgers is retired for 10 years. Favre's legacy will be his overall career, the three (to be four?) MVPs, the streak however long it ends up being. Specific regular season games will be interesting tidbits at best.

If Rodgers and the Packers beat Favre and the Vikings it will have even less meaning, because it is what was expected, with a relic at the end of his career! :lol: It will mean nothing in 10 years.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Patler

You may be right, but here is why I think it may stick with Favre. Babe is first remembered for his Home-runs and somewhere down the list is the Boston-NY thing. It was nothing he personally did and while arguably was the turning point in his career, didn't define who he was. Yet we still remember it.

Namath's prediction is remembered as much for how it exemplifies his persona as for the AFC-NCF dominance issue. I think this situation will similiarly define Favre, at least in part, for generations to come.

This story is uniquely Favre. I am sure you can find some similiarites to other things that have happened, but damn if it isn't one of the oddest sequence of events. Will people first remember his MVPs and his SB win? Mostly, yes. I still say this sticks.

Rastak
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Patler nails it.....

How about Bobby Orr to the heated rival Black Hawks? Fans forgive and forget by and large....so does the press.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Patler nails it.....

How about Bobby Orr to the heated rival Black Hawks? Fans forgive and forget by and large....so does the press.

Point taken. Although, I am not sure the analogy is very good. Orr left via free agency. Orr did not leave while under contract and it did not involve multiple retirements, a trade with a no-Minnesota clause, a Grety interview, a clear statement of revenge factor, ect...

Waldo
08-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

I don't think anybody is going to forget the way Jordan's career ended.

Favre never reached the height Jordan did as an athlete, though his popularity did.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

Favre never reached the height Jordan did as an athlete, though his popularity did.

I will never forget the way Jordan left the Scottdale Scorpions high and dry. :lol:

Chevelle2
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
At least Jordan

1) Put up 20 points per night

2) Played for $2 million and donated all of to the victims families of 9/11

Patler
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

Jordan's career end was quite a bit more convoluted than Favre's (so far, anyway!) Jordan actually left the game twice. Favre never has left, just "talked about it" in the off seasons. He hasn't missed a bit of a season, unlike Jordan who missed full seasons. Jordan left to play another sport, then returned. Jordan's second hiatus from playing was even longer and he originally returned to the sport as a part owner.

Twenty years from now, what will be remembered about Favre? The Packers traded him with some hard feelings, but it seemed the right call because Rodgers was ready. No one will care about the details. Then Favre retired from the Jets, but didn't stay retired, and "somehow" ended up on the Vikings , where he..............

I just don't see how the Favre details that seem so important now will matter to anyone 10 or 15 years from now, assuming Favre is actually retired by then! :lol:

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Sorry Mobb. You don't get to determine what your legacy is. It is what is passed down to the next generation. As much as Lord Favre wants to think that only his play between the lines counts anything he does off the field also affects his legacy.

Why the hate for TT "snake tail"? I thought this was ENTERTAINMENT!!

still just entertainment and TT doesnt entertain me (the players do) he he....its really not hate as much as it is displeasure with player moves...wont call him a scumbag

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 02:59 PM

top ten funniest thing u ever said u hoser

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
oops

woodbuck27
08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

" Who's Bobby Orr? "

Bobby Orr is aguably the greatest or most skilled hockey player in the history of the NHL Waldo.

#4 Bobby Orr. Check out his records and the fact he played defense. His records were amazing. He could skate and handle the puck like no other. He dominated the game when he was at his best and his acceleration was impressive.

Patler
08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

" Who's Bobby Orr? "

Bobby Orr is aguably the greatest or most skilled hockey player in the history of the NHL Waldo.

#4 Bobby Orr. Check out his records and the fact he played defense. His records were amazing. He could skate and handle the puck like no other. He dominated the game when he was at his best and his acceleration was impressive.

No argument from me, Woodbuck. An unbelievable skater and puck handler for his day, his equipment.

Bobby Orr, from little old Parry Sound Ontario. I have been at the Bobby Orr Arena in Parry Sound many times!

Orr changed the game of NHL hockey, making defencemen offensive threats. Some horrendous knee injuries and surgeries back in the days when the knee was foreign territory for surgeons cut short his career way, way too early.

woodbuck27
08-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

" Who's Bobby Orr? "

No argument from me, Woodbuck. An unbelievable skater and puck handler for his day, his equipment.

Bobby Orr, from little old Parry Sound Ontario. I have been at the Bobby Orr Arena in Parry Sound many times!

Orr changed the game of NHL hockey, making defencemen offensive threats. Some horrendous knee injuries and surgeries back in the days when the knee was foreign territory for surgeons cut short his career way, way too early.

I recommend getting a DVD featuring the play of Bobby Orr. I have a close friend that grew up with Gordie Howe as his hero. Today he has memorabilia collected on Bobby Orr. I was down late last winter for a visit to Fredericton, New Brunswick with Bob and one evening he put the Orr DVD on a huge theater screen. It was unbelievable to re-live the play of Bobby Orr. Orr was the best.

Patler
08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

" Who's Bobby Orr? "

I recommend getting a DVD featuring the play of Bobby Orr. I have a close friend that grew up with Gordie Howe as his hero. Today he has memorabilia collected on Bobby Orr. I was down late last winter for a visit to Fredericton, New Brunswick with Bob and one evening he put the Orr DVD on a huge theater screen. It was unbelievable to re-live the play of Bobby Orr. Orr was the best.

I have some old VHS tapes of NHL highlights through the years with the same things. Lots of Orr stuff. He skated through and around NHL'ers like they were PeeWees.

That reminds me, I better transfer those to DVDs before I can't play them anymore!

ThunderDan
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM

But sometimes peoples actions get them in the dictionary. Quisling, Benedict Arnold are two I came up with in ten minutes. Who knows maybe pulling a Favre will become part of the English language.

Patler
08-21-2009, 11:40 PM
But sometimes peoples actions get them in the dictionary. Quisling, Benedict Arnold are two I came up with in ten minutes. Who knows maybe pulling a Favre will become part of the English language.

"He favred his retirement!" - I like it!
How soon before it will be spelled like it sounds? :lol:

Rastak
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Patler nails it.....

Who's Bobby Orr?

I take it your sporting focus is rather narrow? I'm not a hockey guy at all but I sure as shit know Bobby Hull, Gordy Howe, Guy LaFluer and Bobby Orr.

Hockey falls just after European football for me, which I love but I have to admit your ignorance is rather shocking.

Patler
08-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not a hockey guy at all but I sure as shit know Bobby Hull, Gordy Howe, Guy LaFluer and Bobby Orr.

Not a hockey guy? And you're a Minnesotan? The shame of it all!! :lol: :lol:

Rastak
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm not a hockey guy at all but I sure as shit know Bobby Hull, Gordy Howe, Guy LaFluer and Bobby Orr.

<Hangs head in shame......>

It is true though....I am not a hockey guy....although I did watch the entire NHL playoffs in 1980 and 1981!

Patler
08-22-2009, 12:14 AM

It is true though....I am not a hockey guy....although I did watch the entire NHL playoffs in 1980 and 1981!

I think you are a closet hockey fan, just like down deep inside you are really a Packer fan! :lol:

Rastak
08-22-2009, 12:16 AM

I think you are a closet hockey fan, just like down deep inside you are really a Packer fan! :lol:

The odds are much better that I am a closet Hockey fan....... :wink: