PDA

View Full Version : Do The Vikings Cut Jackson?

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
And is so, do we sign him? Is he better than Flynn?

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Heeeeelllllll no!

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Hell fucking no. We have some dignity.

They take our Favre and we respond by taking their Tarvaris Jackson? The sound of laughter from Minnesota would be deafening.

mngolf19
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes, they will cut Jackson. But not for another week at least.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if he has low round trade value

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

They take our Favre and we respond by taking their Tarvaris Jackson? The sound of laughter from Minnesota would be deafening.

Maybe the Packers can sign him, MM train him in his QB school, then trade him back to MN for a couple first round picks in a couple years! :lol: :lol:

Rastak
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Maybe the Packers can sign him, MM train him in his QB school, then trade him back to MN for a couple first round picks in a couple years! :lol: :lol:

It did wonders for Brohm..... :wink:

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM

We prefer to use Rodgers as our poster child for MM's QB school! :lol:

Waldo
08-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Flynn>Jackson>Brohm

If Jackson does get cut, he knows Mn's defense and offense in and out.

Favre OTOH knows nothing about GB's defense and has traditionally struggled against 3-4 defenses. Heck even our offense has morphed quite a bit since his time here.

I think that our 2 TE look is going to be used A LOT. It is a mismatch made in heaven, Brett knows nothing about that whole portion of GB's playbook.

Waldo
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Nothing wrong with Flynn. That kid has a special something, and MM has worked wonders on him since Matt's been in GB.

I saw the greatest quote during the Packer game elsewhere at halftime last week:
"Aaron Rodgers will one day get to tell his grandchildren that he was the man that kept Matt Flynn on the bench."

run pMc
08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
They'll keep Jackson. If Childress keeps his job, he'll need somebody (next year, after Favre retires again) to tutor as only he can.

Let the jokes about waiving Booty begin...

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Nothing wrong with Flynn. That kid has a special something, and MM has worked wonders on him since Matt's been in GB.

I saw the greatest quote during the Packer game elsewhere at halftime last week:
"Aaron Rodgers will one day get to tell his grandchildren that he was the man that kept Matt Flynn on the bench."

I was going to mention Flynn, too; but I decided he should actually have to show something in more than a brief appearance against Cleveland to earn mention in the advertising of the school! We are very selective with our poster kids! :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2009, 12:54 PM
They are keeping Booty. TJack has given them all he can and there's no more upside to the kid. Booty has potential.

Patler
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
They'll keep Jackson. If Childress keeps his job, he'll need somebody (next year, after Favre retires again) to tutor as only he can.

If they do, the Packers should sign him. Then, we can tell viking fans (are you listening Ras?) that they gave up a draft pick for the right to give us Booty!

Rastak
08-18-2009, 01:04 PM

If they do, the Packers should sign him. Then, we can tell viking fans (are you listening Ras?) that they gave up a draft pick for the right to give us Booty!

I doubt they cut Booty but you never know!

Partial
08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I think that our 2 TE look is going to be used A LOT. It is a mismatch made in heaven, Brett knows nothing about that whole portion of GB's playbook.

Agree 100%.

DonHutson
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM

If Childress keeps his job!

:lol: :lol:

That's classic!

Merlin
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Does anyone ever notice that when the Packers cut someone or someone is a free agent that the Vikings are always a team of interest? The opposite can't be said for the Packers. I think unless a player shows outstanding talent the Packers run far away from anyone who wore a purple jersey.

hoosier
08-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Does anyone ever notice that when the Packers cut someone or someone is a free agent that the Vikings are always a team of interest? The opposite can't be said for the Packers. I think unless a player shows outstanding talent the Packers run far away from anyone who wore a purple jersey.

Who are you thinking of? Gilbert hadn't shown anything when the Packers signed him. In fact, the Vikings cut him in training camp despite having just drafted him in the 3rd round. GB signed Colin Cole off the Vikings PS; no outstanding talent there either. Koren Robinson had been an underachiever for most of his NFL career when TT signed him.

It's true that there have been more former Packers on the Vikings of late, but if anythintg the tendency is the opposite of what you're describing. The Vikings have tended to go after notable Packers (Sharper, Longwell, Favre) whereas the Packers have sifted through the Viking's garbage looking for what the other team has overlooked. [/b]

]{ilr]3
08-22-2009, 01:30 PM

I doubt they cut Booty but you never know!

T-Jack looked pretty good last night. Didnt watch the entire game to see if John David Booty played. (when is this guy going to pick a first name? :P )

Isnt TJ in the last year of his contract? I dont recall what round they drafted Booty in. I guess I was wondering if its the garrenteed money they would have to pay JDB if they cut him instead of TJ?

Fritz
08-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Waldo - awesome, informative Packer blog. Thank you!

Rastak
08-22-2009, 06:17 PM
{ilr]3]T-Jack looked pretty good last night. Didnt watch the entire game to see if John David Booty played. (when is this guy going to pick a first name? :P )

Isnt TJ in the last year of his contract? I dont recall what round they drafted Booty in. I guess I was wondering if its the garrenteed money they would have to pay JDB if they cut him instead of TJ?

Booty was a 5th round pick I think....and the money would be nothing. TJ's contract isn't much either....also, I believe he's a restricted free agent next year. This isn't a money thing.

Pugger
08-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Would MN be as foolish as the Jets and just cut TJ? I seriously doubt Chilly and company would trade Jackson to us. Chilly might do what TT did last summer and trade Jackson to some AFC team, but I doubt that too. Sage is hurting, they have a lot invested in Booty and BF is no spring chicken so maybe they'd keep 'em all?

Pugger
08-23-2009, 12:38 AM
{ilr]3]T-Jack looked pretty good last night. Didnt watch the entire game to see if John David Booty played. (when is this guy going to pick a first name? :P )

Booty was a 5th round pick I think....and the money would be nothing. TJ's contract isn't much either....also, I believe he's a restricted free agent next year. This isn't a money thing.

Wasn't Booty taken right after we picked Brohm...?

Lurker64
08-23-2009, 01:03 AM

Wasn't Booty taken right after we picked Brohm...?

You're thinking of Chad Henne, who was drafted by the Dolphins (and they're apparently happy with him).

John David Booty was drafted with pick #137 in the fifth round in 2008, a pick that the Minnesota Vikings received from the Green Bay Packers. Minnesota traded #150 and #237 to Green Bay for the rights to #137. The Packers owned #137 by virtue of trading #128 to the Rams for #137 and #209.

The Packers drafted Breno Giacomini at #150, and Matt Flynn at #209. Pick #237 acquired in the Booty trade was traded away to the Saints for a 2009 6th round pick, which turned out to be #187 which we used to select Brandon Underwood.

For the picks we gave up, St. Louis selected Keenan Burton at #128, Minnesota picked John David Booty at #137, the Saints selected Adrian Arrington at #237. All players involved are still on active rosters for their respective teams.

In retrospect, it's kind of neat how you can can trade #128 for three players, all of whom seem pretty decent.

rbaloha1
08-23-2009, 01:25 AM
What happens if Favre plays poorly and T-jack continues to be impressive? Split locker room?

channtheman
08-23-2009, 02:18 AM
What happens if Favre plays poorly and T-jack continues to be impressive? Split locker room?

The problem with Tarvarias and I suppose Brett also is that they are so inconsistent. One day they'll go out and throw 4 TD's and 300 yards (TJack at Arizona last year) but then the next day they'll go and throw 5 INT's. So honestly, I don't know how much of an improvement Favre really is over any of the Vikings other QB's.

MOBB DEEP
08-23-2009, 05:21 AM
xcellent analysis....