PDA

View Full Version : On the Bright Side - Rodgers making fast progression . . .

green_bowl_packer
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvkpDXlxv5fj52.TmIFcqq1DubYF?slug=cr-packerscamp081809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rodgers making fast progression to elite QB

GREEN BAY, Wis. – On Sunday morning, an AFC personnel executive was sitting in front of a television, fast-forwarding through replays of that week’s preseason NFL games. Unlike most NFL fans, he skimmed the first quarters, flitting past starting units in favor of scribbling notes on reserves likely to be cut in the coming weeks.

He had been sailing along until he saw Aaron Rodgers(notes).

Five years earlier, the executive had taken a trip to see Rodgers in person, when the Green Bay Packers quarterback was putting together his pièce de résistance as a junior at California-Berkeley. He came away moderately impressed, but his franchise would end up going another way, watching as Rodgers slipped to the 24th pick in the 2005 NFL draft. More than four years later, he found himself eyeing Rodgers again in rapt attention.

“[Green Bay’s] game against Cleveland was the only one that I saw most of the first quarter,” he said. “You can see how far he has come right away. His decisiveness and the way he goes through his [progressions]. I don’t want to overstate it, because he was a first-round pick. But he’s become a pretty special player.”

How special?

“I think he might be one of the two or three best quarterbacks under 30, and there are some good ones in that group,” the executive said. “I’d take him before [Jay] Cutler, who went to a Pro Bowl last year. Give him another season and I might even take him before Eli [Manning]. And that’s a 100-million-dollar guy with a [Super Bowl] ring – good company.”

That’s a rapid ascent for a player who is only heading into his second starting campaign. However, Rodgers has wasted no time refining his game and defining his image, something that might be even more impressive considering it comes in the NFL cradle of Green Bay. What was once a fiefdom lorded over solely by his predecessor, Brett Favre(notes), Rodgers has finally gained the embrace of the community and fan base. That might only make this preseason even sweeter, with Favre’s moniker dangerously close to becoming “He Who Shall Not Be Named If He Plays In Minnesota.”

But just how close is Rodgers to entering the elite conversation? After all, it’s a sizeable leap going from one superb individual season (4,038 passing yards and 32 total touchdowns), to being mentioned with the likes of Tom Brady(notes), Peyton Manning(notes), Ben Roethlisberger(notes) and Drew Brees(notes).

“I think he’s an elite quarterback right now,” said Packers cornerback Al Harris(notes). “He can make every single throw. He can put it on a line. He’s got touch. His decision making is good. He’s quick. He goes through his progressions really quickly. I think he’s very underrated by the people in the league and the so-called experts. Once he wins a Super Bowl, I guess that’s maybe what changes that perception.”

Still, for those who have watched Rodgers closely during the last four years, there is no denying the significant transformation.

“Look at his body. He didn’t look like that three years ago,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “His body fat is way down. He’s a much more conditioned athlete. He’s much stronger. His ball has more velocity. … He’s a lot more athletic than I realized coming out of Cal.”

Indeed, after a series of injuries early in his career, Rodgers has reconstructed his physique through rigorous offseason training. This has been aimed at replicating what “elite” quarterbacks do: play 16 games, not wear down late in seasons and be the most dependable cornerstone on the roster.

But the transformation runs deeper. Arguably as recent as two years ago, Rodgers was still languishing under a perception that had dogged him since the 2005 draft, when he was supposedly neck and neck with Alex Smith for the right to be the No. 1 overall pick.

Midway through his junior season at Cal, he seemed to be the odds-on favorite in many NFL quarters. But Smith’s rise and a litany of questions about Rodgers’ mechanics and pedigree (some executives were already wary of Jeff Tedford quarterbacks) began to create cracks in an otherwise superb résumé. It didn’t help that negative stories began to leak out about Rodgers coming off as arrogant or cocky in some interview sessions. Even McCarthy noted the perception while he was serving as an offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers and helping to hash out the Smith vs. Rodgers debate.

In spite of seeing what he now calls “maybe the best workout I’ve seen live,” McCarthy said the mental makeup of Rodgers and Smith became one of the overriding factors in the 49ers’ decision making.

“That was a concern for both of them – which one of these guys can handle being a No. 1 pick in the NFL draft?” McCarthy said. “There was a lot of conversation about that. … [Former 49ers coach] Mike Nolan and I, we got into a conversation and he says to me, ‘OK, Rodgers is not a western [Pennsylvania] kid. He’s a northern California kid. I know you can’t relate to that.’ We had a lot of conversations about that. But you know, the arm and talent was always there.”

Looking back, those might be the perceptions Rodgers regrets most, and they planted seeds in a media persona that can now seem at times to be overly cautious. His interviews can be laden with boundaries, clichés, buzzwords and phrases like “I don’t want that to be perceived as arrogant” or “I don’t want that to be seen as cocky.” These are the buffers borne of a negative draft experience and three years of trying to say all the right things while sitting behind Favre.

“That [draft] was a time in my life where I felt like I wasn’t at times being who I really was,” Rodgers says now. “I think I was always a humble guy who came from a humble background and worked hard for what I got. Then you get to the draft process and you’ve got to sell yourself as the best player that has ever walked around. That was a little different for me. And then, at the same time, a few of my poor attempts at humor [regarding Favre] have come off as arrogant. I learned you just have to watch what you’re saying sometimes.”

And yet, his talent and standing have seemingly outgrown his deference. Now it’s only his record that needs to catch up. With Green Bay’s move to a more aggressive 3-4 defense, the Packers appear ready to become a more balanced team that can rival the best from the NFC South and NFC East – the conference’s two power divisions. Because while Rodgers may have arrived emotionally, physically and statistically, he has retained a keen awareness that gaudy numbers and arm strength aren’t the only traits that qualify him for the league’s “elite” fraternity.

“Honestly, that stuff is mostly media driven,” he said. “It’s funny to me that most media people wouldn’t mention a guy like Ben Roethlisberger as an elite quarterback. Ben has won two Super Bowls, right? I know he’s laughing all the way to the trophy case and all the way to the bank.”

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Good article.

I wonder which QB the scout would take over Rodgers? Did he indirectly answer that question with his Eli statement?

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the article. I certainly wear my Aaron Rodgers jersey with pride.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
i would rather have him than any other QB in the NFC North.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Nice.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
i would rather have him than any other QB in the NFC North.

I'd rather have him than any other QB in the NFC.

Fritz
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Y'know, I was thinking Brees, but upon second thought, I'm with you, Mr. Campbell.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Only guys Id take over Rodgers

Brady
Peyton
Rivers

Maybe Ryan

sheepshead
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
On the Bright Side - Rodgers making fast progression . . .

Like there's a dark side??

jmbarnes101
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Ted and Mike made the very tough but very right decision last year. Go Aaron!

hoosier
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I lost him when he made the comment about maybe overtaking Eli in a year. If Eli is that scout's standard of excellence I'm not sure I trust anything he has to say....The other two under 30s are surely Rivers and Ryan.

Lurker64
08-18-2009, 11:01 PM

The Dark Side of Aaron Rodgers:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/rodgersgoth.jpg

Packgator
08-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Only guys Id take over Rodgers

Brady
Peyton
Rivers

Maybe Ryan

I'd take Rodgers over Rivers. Unsure about Ryan.

Partial
08-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I love how this article is looked at as credible, yet the 4 scouts McGinn interviewed that had Rodgers averaged out at 19 is ignored. Jovial.

rbaloha1
08-18-2009, 11:57 PM
A-Rod may win more super bowls than Favre. Thank you NFL for passing on A-rod.

mission
08-18-2009, 11:59 PM
I love how this article is looked at as credible, yet the 4 scouts McGinn interviewed that had Rodgers averaged out at 19 is ignored. Jovial.

And when exactly were those scouts quoted as ranking him at 19? I can guarantee if you asked those same exact four scouts where they'd rank AROD (today), the number wouldn't be the same. You've been referencing that for what seems forever ... not to mention 23 teams passed over him. There's a chance one of those four is one of those 23. Hard to put a lot of weight behind four random scouts' opinions.

Partial
08-19-2009, 12:34 AM

And when exactly were those scouts quoted as ranking him at 19? I can guarantee if you asked those same exact four scouts where they'd rank AROD (today), the number wouldn't be the same. You've been referencing that for what seems forever ... not to mention 23 teams passed over him. There's a chance one of those four is one of those 23. Hard to put a lot of weight behind four random scouts' opinions.

December 22nd, basically at the very end of the season. If it's hard to put a lot of weight behind four, than its impossible for one. That's the point.

I bumped the thread for you.

With that said, Rodgers looked very good in the first game, much better than last year, but I'm not ready to throw a parade for him just yet.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 12:59 AM
What is your point? You could get one scout that says Favre won't make a difference for the Vikings and another that says he makes them a Super Bowl contender.

Like I said before, those were four random scouts (who weren't identified) who may be covering their own @sses for not evaluating Rodgers properly when he came out. The scout in this latest article is an AFC scout who didn't particularly like Rodgers coming out. At least, we know something about this scout.

I think the biggest thing that tore a giant hole in that other article was that three of the four scouts picked Vince Young over Aaron Rodgers. I HIGHLY doubt that is indicative of the feelings of most scouts.

And that's all I'll say about that.

sheepshead
08-19-2009, 07:54 AM

You know, thats a good point. I, for one, would take those odds.

hoosier
08-19-2009, 08:52 AM

The Dark Side of Aaron Rodgers:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/rodgersgoth.jpg

Is that Javier Bardem?

Zool
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Actually pretty much everyone was just relaying their own opinion of Rodgers without referencing the article much at all. But I guess you're free to push away at your agenda.

Partial
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Actually pretty much everyone was just relaying their own opinion of Rodgers without referencing the article much at all. But I guess you're free to push away at your agenda.

Agenda? I said he played extremely well. Where is the agenda in that? I just think it's laughable how the negative opinions of professionals are pushed aside and ignored where as one positive opinion is respected.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d811fff76&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Entering second season as the starter, Rodgers comfortable as team leader

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- With all due respect to their unique community ownership arrangement, the Green Bay Packers belong to one person: Aaron Rodgers.

Even with Brett Favre making new headlines by signing Tuesday with the arch-rival Minnesota Vikings, Rodgers' presence has become noticeably stronger at the Packers' training camp. He is more vocal and his teammates, especially on offense, are responding to him.

"Clearly, this is Aaron Rodgers' football team," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think he's definitely earned that. You could see it happening during the offseason program and coming off of his performance of last season. I think he's having an excellent camp."

Rodgers, in his fifth season with the Packers and second as their starter, displays more confidence in everything he says and does on and off the field. He has thrown his share of interceptions in practice, but has mostly played well. He got his preseason off to an impressive start by leading the Packers to touchdowns on each of their first two possessions in a 17-0 victory over the Cleveland Browns last Saturday night. Rodgers completed five of 10 passes for 102 yards and a touchdown, and had a passer rating of 119.6.

It was the type of performance that reinforced the idea that he is capable of leading the Packers into playoff contention after last year's 6-10 finish.

"I think it's just a natural progression after playing 16 games last year," Rodgers said. "The respect that I've gotten from some of the older guys means a lot to me and given me a lot of confidence. I'm just looking for ways to continue to increase my leadership, and in opportunities when I have a chance to speak, speak up."

McCarthy has played a major role in helping his quarterback become a larger force within the team.

"Mike has allowed me to help run the offensive meetings," Rodgers said. "Watching film with receivers, I'm having a bigger voice and that goes a long way when they know what I'm thinking and the way I diagnose plays and watch film. The respect, I hope, of my teammates has increased. And that respect will increase as my leadership role increases as well, and I just try to make the most of it."

Observation deck

» The Packers' conversion from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense has done plenty to create a more aggressive tone for camp practices. It has resulted in more contact and a faster tempo because of the frequent blitzing called by new defensive coordinator Dom Capers. McCarthy also has had his players in pads more often than in any of his three previous seasons as the Packers coach. There have been a half-dozen fights during practice, compared to zero last year. Given the Packers' 6-10 record in 2008, McCarthy doesn't consider that a bad thing.

» The Packers look to have considerable depth at running back. Ryan Grant is solid as a starter, but it doesn't appear as if he'll be a one-man show. There seems to be enough other talented players at the position to allow the Packers to spread the load and not run Grant, who has had injury problems, into the ground. The most impressive of the other backs is DeShawn Wynn, a third-year veteran who was acquired as a free agent last year. In the past, there have been questions about Wynn's motivation, but he seems to have put that behind him. Kregg Lumpkin, a second-year player who was coming on strong in '08 before suffering an injury, has performed well, as has rookie free agent Tyrell Sutton.

» It's hard to tell who has the edge in the ultra-tight competition between third-year man Allen Barbre and second-year pro Breno Giacomini to replace veteran Mark Tauscher as the starting right tackle. Although Barbre was No. 1 on the depth chart through the offseason while Giacomini was sidelined after undergoing ankle surgery, Giacomini has recently made himself noticed with his performance in camp drills.

» Matt Flynn seems to be winning the No. 2 quarterback job mainly by default. He has been solid, but the real reason he is considered the second-best player at the position is because his challenger, Brian Brohm, has been awful, according to most camp observers. The Packers like Flynn's scrappiness.

Surprise, surprise

Tight end Jermichael Finley, whom the Packers made a third-round pick from Texas in 2008, has been one of the better players in camp at any position.

A year ago, Finley caught six passes for 74 yards and a touchdown. The bulk of his playing time in 14 games came in two- and three-tight-end sets, as well as on special teams. He also made one start.

However, Finley left Texas after his sophomore season and his immaturity showed on the field. With an NFL season under his belt, he looks to have a greater understanding of how to run routes and does so with considerable explosiveness. He also shows dependable hands, which should make him someone Rodgers looks to throw to more regularly this year.

Finley isn't much of a blocker, although he does show a willingness to block (witness his crushing peel-back block last week against Cleveland). It isn't enough of a liability to prevent the Packers from looking to take full advantage of his receiving skills.

"He's a special athlete; we knew that last year," McCarthy said. "Now we just have the ability to play him with all the different personnel groups. When you look to put together game plans, winning down the middle of the field is so important. The quickest way to the post is down the middle of the field. He's a big target, he's an athletic target. He's also a guy that gives us the ability to get in a one-on-one situation on the strong side of the formation.

"I'm excited about the improvement (Finley's) showing."

Rookie report

» Nose tackle B.J. Raji, the first of the Packers' two players selected in the first round, missed the first two weeks of camp while his contract was being negotiated. The former Boston College standout only has had two days of practice, so it's hard to draw any meaningful assessments about his performance. However, he did report to camp at 341 pounds, about six pounds heavier than his assigned maximum weight. Raji also has learned quickly, from his encounters with Green Bay's talented offensive linemen, that he'll need to rely much more on physical skills to succeed in the NFL. "(They do) a lot of holding," he said. "But I guess nothing will change in the games unless (the officials) call it." Raji should get some playing time in Saturday night's home preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

» Linebacker Clay Matthews, Green Bay's second first-rounder, turned plenty of heads with his performance in the early part of camp. However, after a week or so, the former USC star began having recurring problems with a hamstring injury he suffered during offseason workouts and has been sidelined ever since.

» Fullback Quinn Johnson, a fifth-round pick from LSU, has had a solid camp. He has been an effective blocker, which he displayed against the Browns.

» Offensive tackle T.J. Lang, a fourth-round pick from Eastern Michigan, has performed well enough to be in the mix at right tackle, although he is unlikely to overtake Barbre or Giacomini.

Lasting image

The Lambeau Field Atrium, which is attached to the east side of the stadium, remains one of the more impressive structures in the NFL.

It truly is a football fan's paradise, even if he or she doesn't have a rooting interest in the Packers (although it helps). There are neat Packer-themed restaurants and retail shops, and wonderful photos, plaques and other displays celebrating the team's rich history.

Perhaps the best part of the place, though, is that fans can mingle, drinking in all of the history while also watching one of the many flat-screen televisions hanging from various spots with (what else?) sports on the screen.

Say what?

"This has been a physical camp. We've been in pads a little bit more than we have in the past. We've gone at it as a team; we've had a couple of practices that got a little heated. But I feel like it really brought our team together. I think we're a tough team. I think we're a team that enjoys physical contact." -- Linebacker Brady Poppinga

Extra points

» Donald Driver, the Packers' 34-year-old wide receiver in his 11th NFL season, said he would like to play until he is 40.

» Despite being rooted in offense, McCarthy believes the key to his team's success "needs to be about defense." That, more than anything, brought about the switch to the 3-4 and the hiring of a high-profile coordinator such as Capers.

» Defensive lineman Justin Harrell is understandably discouraged about the fact that he is once again bothered by persistent lower-back problems. Harrell had two surgeries in that area that kept him out of 10 games last season, and he is sidelined in camp.

» McCarthy believes, from top to bottom, he has the most depth he has ever had on his offensive line.

Packman_26
08-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Love the thought and I hope that you are right. But, only 10 quarterbacks in the history of the game have 2 or more Super Bowl wins. I admire your confidence but buy those are some long odds.

MJZiggy
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Love the thought and I hope that you are right. But, only 10 quarterbacks in the history of the game have 2 or more Super Bowl wins. I admire your confidence but buy those are some long odds.

and...?

CaptainKickass
08-19-2009, 09:30 PM

and...?

I'll be just fine if they end up in a tie.

MOBB DEEP
08-20-2009, 12:20 AM
michael wilbon said rodgers will be nfl mvp THIS YEAR...wow

MOBB DEEP
08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
believe or not, i think rodgers would DEF take minny to miami