PDA

View Full Version : Retireing players numbers

alquaal
08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I apologize if this has been covered and I know new threads are popping up like crazy after the events of today but a question came to my mind after I saw that f'n douche put on that purple helmet. How does a player qualify to get his # on the ring of fame. I'm thinking Hornung, McGee or Kramer might be in front her highness Favre on that list. Probably alot of others too. Who makes the call?

MOBB DEEP
08-18-2009, 06:26 PM
not u, thank god :D

BallHawk
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
not u, thank god :D

Helpful as always, Mobb.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd be ok with them retiring his number, as long as they only hung it above the bathroom urinal in Section 7.

MichiganPackerFan
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd be ok with them retiring his number, as long as they only hung it above the bathroom urinal in Section 7.

Above or below?

MJZiggy
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I hear you guys can get messy in there. You need something to wipe up the floor, right?

alquaal
08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Seriously though, does anyone know who makes the call? What is the criteria? I mean I love Reggie White as much as anyone but why not Hornung? I think Paul got a couple more championships than ol' 92.

Badgerinmaine
08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
It seems the minimum criteria the Packers use is being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All the retired numbers are, and some like Hornung aren't. Mad as we all are at Brett Favre today, he is a lock for the NFL Hall of Fame. It'll take a while for the anger to subside, but yes, someday he'll have his number retired. In Hornung's case, I wonder if the 1963 suspension is a part of the reason why he isn't included.

Bossman641
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Above or below?

I think they should special order some Brett Favre urinal cakes for this season.

mmmdk
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Let's sign an Aussie punter and award him our # 4 jersey. Does that answer the # 4 retirement Q?

HowardRoark
08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Let's sign an Aussie punter and award him our # 4 jersey. Does that answer the # 4 retirement Q?

Is Katie Hnida still kicking? We could give her the number.

KYPack
08-18-2009, 09:22 PM

That's a pretty esoteric post for this lot, Howard.

I'd forgot all about that baby.

pbmax
08-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Well don't make me go to Wikipedia to be lied to. One of you coots tell me a tall tale yourselves! :lol:

HowardRoark
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Well don't make me go to Wikipedia to be lied to. One of you coots tell me a tall tale yourselves! :lol:

http://www.baristanet.com/story.vert.hnida.ap.jpg

Tarlam!
08-19-2009, 12:47 AM
If you recall, they already had the date set to retire #4, but then came the un-retirement. So, to keep the high ground, the Packers can't really not retire the number once he finally does hang up the cleats-

As to who decides, well, the decision came from Murphy and the Board, plus TT's input.

packerbacker1234
08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
If Brett Favre doesn't qualify for getting his # retired then your crazy. Yeah, lets ignore what he did for us for 16 seasons. So what if he threw on the purple helmet: This is a business. The packers weren't all innocent either in the favre debacle, but yet if favr eplayed for minnesota it means he is a traitor. The packers could of very well been traitors to favre, but no one looks at it like that anymore.

Give it a rest: He is one of the greatest players to ever wear green and gold, and I want his number to be retired and put up next to the greats. And it will be there some day. He is one of the greatest to ever play this game, and 16 years of that was with our team.

Come now, get over yourselfs. He is ag reat player, and a decent person. Lets move on already.

sheepshead
08-19-2009, 07:50 AM
No one will wear #4 in green and gold again. (period)

Little Whiskey
08-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought i remeber them saying that they like to retire one player from Defense and one from Offense on the championship era teams. Reggie got his (I didn't hear him called a traitor.) Brett will be the other.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't care about spelling within posts, but can we please try to get the thread title correct?!

KYPack
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought i remeber them saying that they like to retire one player from Defense and one from Offense on the championship era teams. Reggie got his (I didn't hear him called a traitor.) Brett will be the other.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I had an emotional meltdown over this thing yesterday. Today, I already don't really give a shit.

There are many similarities to Big Reggie and Brett. False retirement and playing for another team. Not retiring a Packer and so on. But Reggie remained a "sainted" figure and BF is getting a ton of heat.

Time will temper our view of this thing. Brett will come back to GB with a sheepish look on his face and that Huck Finn grin. All will be forgiven and Packer fans will embrace him once more. What is in question is the timeframe. Will it be a year? Five years (Post TT, no doubt)? 10 years or 20?

One way or the other, Brett is an all-timer and time will heal the wound.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 10:40 AM

I was thinking about this yesterday. I had an emotional meltdown over this thing yesterday. Today, I already don't really give a shit.

There are many similarities to Big Reggie and Brett. False retirement and playing for another team. Not retiring a Packer and so on. But Reggie remained a "sainted" figure and BF is getting a ton of heat.

Time will temper our view of this thing. Brett will come back to GB with a sheepish look on his face and that Huck Finn grin. All will be forgiven and Packer fans will embrace him once more. What is in question is the timeframe. Will it be a year? Five years (Post TT, no doubt)? 10 years or 20?

One way or the other, Brett is an all-timer and time will heal the wound.

Didn't #92 come back because he lost his life savings which he had invested in a church that was embezzled? I believe the Packers gave him his release so he could play in Carolina where he lived.