PDA

View Full Version : Why Im Not Scared Of Brett Favre

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I don’t feel like writing paragraphs, here is a list. The more interesting/telling ones are bolded.

-In the past 4 seasons he has lead the NFL in 1 thing only. Interceptions. And he did so twice.

-3 of his past 4 seasons he has failed to throw more touchdowns than interceptions

-Dom Capers

-He is 40 years old. Not too many 40 year old QBs have fared well in this league

-His passer rating last season, of passes more than 20 yards was 48.5. Rodgers by comparison was 106.

-He had 4 games last year against the 32, 31, and 30th rank pass defenses. In those four games he put up 12 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. In the other 12 games he put up 10 touchdowns and 18 interceptions

-In 2006, 2007 we saw McCarthy put the reigns on Favre, and his production improved. I can’t see Chilly having the same balls, considering he let Favre walk him around on a leash this summer

-He hasn’t DONE any of the off-season programs that he did in 07 and 06 this season.

-Charles Woodson, the best player on our team

-He won’t admit it, but his main focus is on 2 games.

-Expectations are sky higher than they have ever been. Its Super Bowl or bust.

-3-6 in his last 9 playoff games (16 scores, 18 interceptions)

-His well documented Post-Thanksgiving day collapse since 2005. (13 touchdowns 34 interceptions)

-He has a partially torn rotator cuff

-His tendency to implode in big games (NFC Title Game, @Dallas, vs MIA in 08)

-Don’t tell me the cold weather stuff isn’t going to matter. Ill point to his games @Oakland, @SF in 08 and @dallas and @stl in 07….

-Lack of talent. Cotchery/Coles > Harvin/Berrian…..oh and the 08 Jets had a higher rushing YPC than the 08 Vikings.

-The fact that our defense is making comments suggesting they want to decapitate him

-The season starts in 3 weeks. There is something to be said about chemistry with your WRers.

Don’t agree? Pick a point and try to disagree. You won’t be able to. Fact are facts.

Brett Favre - passed his physical, failed his mental exam. Packers 2009 NFC North Champs

mission
08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Not to mention Brett has been notoriously horrible against 3-4 defenses.

Rastak
08-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Nobody cares if you are scared......LOL....let's just see how it looks on the field.....all the pieces, he's one guy.

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Not to mention Brett has been notoriously horrible against 3-4 defenses.

Excellent point.

Im not sure the biggest Favre homer ever could come up with as many reasons as to why he will succeed as I have above, along with yours mission.

pittstang5
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Chevelle - good list, but...

Favre scares me because he's on the same team as Adrian Peterson.

Bossman641
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
In 2006, 2007 we saw McCarthy put the reigns on Favre, and his production improved. I can’t see Chilly having the same balls, considering he let Favre walk him around on a leash this summer

This is my favorite one and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it Rastak.

Do you really think there is any way Chilly will tighten the screws on Favre at all considering he has played the organization like a puppet all summer?

Chevelle2
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
In 2006, 2007 we saw McCarthy put the reigns on Favre, and his production improved. I can’t see Chilly having the same balls, considering he let Favre walk him around on a leash this summer

Do you really think there is any way Chilly will tighten the screws on Favre at all considering he has played the organization like a puppet all summer?

I know this wasn't directed to me, buy my thoughts are that Favre has worked with Chilly in the past, and wouldn't join the team if he knew Chilly was going to be hard on him.

Rastak
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Well, hard to say. I'd agree he steered the ship the way he wanted to. Here's my take.

Chilly and the lads realized they were screwed if anything happened to Rosenfels. They revisited the idea after watching film this weekend.

Chilly sucks this year he gets fired. He knows it. Self preservation is an amazing driver.

Favre said during his press conference he realizes he isn't the same guy as 10 years ago. (No shit). If Favre is not running the plays as called over and over or turning the ball over way too may times, there is no history to contend with here. This isn't a Viking streak, Chilly either makes a change or gets fired....again, self preservation.

What happens? We'll see.....that's my take.

Bretsky
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Nobody cares if you are scared......LOL....let's just see how it looks on the field.....all the pieces, he's one guy.

:bclap:

Bossman641
08-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Well, hard to say. I'd agree he steered the ship the way he wanted to. Here's my take.

Chilly and the lads realized they were screwed if anything happened to Rosenfels. They revisited the idea after watching film this weekend.

Chilly sucks this year he gets fired. He knows it. Self preservation is an amazing driver.

Favre said during his press conference he realizes he isn't the same guy as 10 years ago. (No shit). If Favre is not running the plays as called over and over or turning the ball over way too may times, there is no history to contend with here. This isn't a Viking streak, Chilly either makes a change or gets fired....again, self preservation.

What happens? We'll see.....that's my take.

Saying and doing are 2 completely different things when it's coming from Favre (no shit)! He may say that, but after all the years of "I play the game how I want to play it" and "Was just trying to make a play", not to mention how he thinks he deserves to be treated, I have a hard time believing that.

You do have me thinking though. How much conversation was there between Favre and the Vikings over the past 3 weeks? I'm leaning towards weekly, but I don't know.

Rastak
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Have no clue Bossman, that's the million dollar question. Was the entire thing staged or was it like I said it might have been.....review film, decide that this isn't good and call Favre to see if the legendary waffler would cave with one last chance.

Bossman641
08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Have no clue Bossman, that's the million dollar question. Was the entire thing staged or was it like I said it might have been.....review film, decide that this isn't good and call Favre to see if the legendary waffler would cave with one last chance.

Gotcha. I didn't know if that was your brainstorming or if you had heard any rumors of that.

I've been pretty much avoiding ESPN and the like today, so I didn't know if anyone had let it slip at all if they had been talking.

swede
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
You do have me thinking though.
How much conversation was there between Favre and the Vikings over the past 3 years? I'm leaning towards weekly, but I don't know.

Fixed.

b bulldog
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
He is an old QB who will once again as he has in the past seasons, lose his legs and start throwing pics in huge numbers.

digitaldean
08-18-2009, 10:26 PM
On paper only, the Vikes are the favorites in the NFC.

That being said, anything short of the Lombardi Trophy will be an abject failure for the Vikings. It will be priceless to see the unravelling of the Vikings if Favre has a swoon in the late season as he had in the past few seasons.

Lurker64
08-18-2009, 10:54 PM

In the NFC North? Absolutely. But in the NFC? I'm not so sure. I'm not ready to say that the Vikings are clearly far and away better than a team like Carolina or New York. I'd say both those matchups are about 50/50, even with Favre.

Bretsky
08-18-2009, 11:03 PM

In the NFC North? Absolutely. But in the NFC? I'm not so sure. I'm not ready to say that the Vikings are clearly far and away better than a team like Carolina or New York. I'd say both those matchups are about 50/50, even with Favre.

The Eagles OL is all banged up but if they get healthy I could see them with the Giants as well.

I think teams like Green Bay and New Orleans are very similar/dangerous if their defenses get straight.

Should be interesting to see those GB/Vikings games now

superfan
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
He has not had a great amount of success in domes during his career. Will be interesting to see if that trend continues, or if it is more of a factor of being the road team in those environments.

Freak Out
08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
There is no doubt he and the Queens can be successful if they game plan well and nobody gets hurt seriously. They have some wicked talent on both sides of the ball.

Gunakor
08-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Chevelle - good list, but...

Favre scares me because he's on the same team as Adrian Peterson.

Adrian Peterson scares me. A 40 year old Favre who doesn't even report until the second week of preseason doesn't scare me at all.

packerbacker1234
08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
The missing point folks.

Favre late to camp > Jackson and Rosenfels.

Meaning, even if you don't want to admit it, he does in fact make the vikings a bigger threat then they were in regards to winning the division. I mean, say your not worried: Stop AP and make him win the game.

Ok, see Denver 2007, or KC, or against the vikings, San Diego: Don't tell Brett he can't win the football game if he has to: He's done it many times before. Not counting last year, he did it against Seattle in the playoffs in 2007. Last year he knocked off a few really good teams pretty much solely off how he played.

Just saying, like it or not, he makes the vikings a much bigger threat. A bigger threat then Jay Cutler going to the bears.

MOBB DEEP
08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
i love al of these lord favre threads here at packerrats: there's more here than over at Purplepride.com 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 07:53 AM
i love al of these lord favre threads here at packerrats: there's more here than over at Purplepride.com 8-)

Because you keep bumping them. You are a strange person.

MOBB DEEP
08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Because you keep bumping them. You are a strange person.

not true; get your facts straight... there are so many b/c others keep creating them...i bumped the "official" brett thread and 2-3 that were relevant, but didnt create any new ones

simply look at how many were created yesterday and the authors (i counted over 8), many of whom claim to not have the man crush that i admit i have.....

have blessed day ppl...philipians 3:12-13

Tarlam!
08-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I agree with Harv. You seem to be a weirdo to me.

MOBB DEEP
08-19-2009, 08:28 AM
yeah, i may be a lil weird but mean no harm

God created us all differently and loves us equally

it is foolish for anyone to allow folk in our lives (let alone strangers) to offend them or waste energy trying to win them over

u can take shots at me but it only speaks to your own issues; as i offend no one intentionally on this public forum meant for ENTERTAINMENT, not angst :D

now apologize and smile; God loves u

Tarlam!
08-19-2009, 08:32 AM
You are a weirdo, which you admit and I should apologize for agreeing with you?

Weirdo.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Stop the Pack on Pack hate!

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
He has not had a great amount of success in domes during his career. Will be interesting to see if that trend continues, or if it is more of a factor of being the road team in those environments.
Superfan! Good to see you back here, it's been a while.

Zool
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM

it is foolish for anyone to allow folk in our lives (let alone strangers) to offend them or waste energy trying to win them over

u can take shots at me but it only speaks to your own issues; as i offend no one intentionally on this public forum meant for ENTERTAINMENT, not angst :D

I'm confused how you can call people out for taking shots when you take off-hand shots all the time? Yours might be more subtle but they are very much there.

mngolf19
08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
[quote="Rastak

.[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm telling everyone I talk to. Bringing in Favre is bringing in more depth. Rosenfels may be fine but Jackson was not going to be. The locals pointed to a particularly bad practice last week and I'm guessing the game friday put Chilly over the edge on Jackson. Since QBs tend to not last 16 games, you had to increase your depth if you have the chance. And Chilly will sit Favre whenever he thinks there is a better option. This year is make or break for Chilly. Now, I don't think it requires a Lombardi trophy. But an appearance in the NFCC may be needed.

Partial
08-19-2009, 09:29 AM
He's not going to sit Favre, thats just not going to happen.

That said, I wouldn't be afraid either because it's a football game.

sheepshead
08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Stop the Pack on Pack hate! :lol: :lol:

mngolf19
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Partial, there is no way they will allow the season to go the way the Jet's did last year without trying. No one would keep him in there if it is going to get you fired.

denverYooper
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Partial, there is no way they will allow the season to go the way the Jet's did last year without trying. No one would keep him in there if it is going to get you fired.

That didn't stop Mangenius.

mraynrand
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I agree with you, but for a different reason. Favre isn't going out on his own power.

hoosier
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
This is exactly what I'm telling everyone I talk to. Bringing in Favre is bringing in more depth. Rosenfels may be fine but Jackson was not going to be. The locals pointed to a particularly bad practice last week and I'm guessing the game friday put Chilly over the edge on Jackson.

I find the reports on Jackson's development a little confusing. Didn't he return from injury late last season and perform very well in the team's final games? Does one poor showing in an exhibition game negate that, or has he been terrible throughout Viking summer camp? If he's been consistently awful this year, how are people in the know explaining the disparity? Was last December a month-long fluke? Did he somehow regress after appearing to have turned the corner at the end of 2008? Has he been feeling the pressure this summer with the Sword of Kiln hanging over his head?

Gunakor
08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
The missing point folks.

Favre late to camp > Jackson and Rosenfels.

Meaning, even if you don't want to admit it, he does in fact make the vikings a bigger threat then they were in regards to winning the division. I mean, say your not worried: Stop AP and make him win the game.

Ok, see Denver 2007, or KC, or against the vikings, San Diego: Don't tell Brett he can't win the football game if he has to: He's done it many times before. Not counting last year, he did it against Seattle in the playoffs in 2007. Last year he knocked off a few really good teams pretty much solely off how he played.

Just saying, like it or not, he makes the vikings a much bigger threat. A bigger threat then Jay Cutler going to the bears.

Here's the real point, one I think you've missed. Favre late to camp <<<< Aaron Rodgers. Maybe he makes the Vikings a better team, maybe he doesn't. But he doesn't scare me. We still got the better guy.

Patler
08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Here's the real point, one I think you've missed. Favre late to camp <<<< Aaron Rodgers. Maybe he makes the Vikings a better team, maybe he doesn't. But he doesn't scare me. We still got the better guy.

I think for now the more important comparison is between Favre and the other Viking QBs. My concern for 2009 is simply this, "How much better are the Vikings with Favre than without him?"

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
This is exactly what I'm telling everyone I talk to. Bringing in Favre is bringing in more depth. Rosenfels may be fine but Jackson was not going to be. The locals pointed to a particularly bad practice last week and I'm guessing the game friday put Chilly over the edge on Jackson.

I find the reports on Jackson's development a little confusing. Didn't he return from injury late last season and perform very well in the team's final games? Does one poor showing in an exhibition game negate that, or has he been terrible throughout Viking summer camp? If he's been consistently awful this year, how are people in the know explaining the disparity? Was last December a month-long fluke? Did he somehow regress after appearing to have turned the corner at the end of 2008? Has he been feeling the pressure this summer with the Sword of Kiln hanging over his head?
Jackson simply couldn't throw the ball downfield with any type of success. He can throw the insanely short routes or dumpoffs to the RBs but that doesn't do anything to loosen up the defense.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/185*139/hailthenewqueen1.jpg

sharpe1027
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Jackson simply couldn't throw the ball downfield with any type of success. He can throw the insanely short routes or dumpoffs to the RBs but that doesn't do anything to loosen up the defense.

Has any QB playing under Childress had downfield success? Me thinks it aint all about the QB.

Chevelle2
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM

Has any QB playing under Childress had downfield success? Me thinks it aint all about the QB.

In 2008 Favre's passer rating, of passes more than 20 yards was 48.5. (Rodgers by comparison was 106.)

So, Favre better hope Chilly doesn't like throwing downfield.

MichiganPackerFan
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

In 2008 Favre's passer rating, of passes more than 20 yards was 48.5. (Rodgers by comparison was 106.)

So, Favre better hope Chilly doesn't like throwing downfield.

One huge factor is the receivers and YAC

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Yak_at_third_lake_in_Gokyo.jpg

Get it? It's a Yak!!

mngolf19
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
So this clears the way for Chilly to move on to Rosenfels if the situation arises.

Favre's contract has an out for the Vikes to release him due to injury or skill that would require a $6M payout. Not the full contract if he doesn't complete the season.

hoosier
08-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Here is what he did over the last month of 2008:

Detroit: 8 of 10 for 105 yds
Arizona: 11 of 17 for 163 yds
Atlanta: 22 of 36 for 233 yds
Giants: 16 of 26 for 239 yds

If you look at his splits, his ratings are pretty consist between passes thrown for 1-9 yards, 10-19 yards, etc. A little lower for 10-19 but not much (75 vs 95 total). And the ratings go back up for 20-29 and 30-39. I know the perception is that Jackson is inaccurate and slow to react, but the stats from late last year don't back that up. [/u]

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
You haven't watched Jackson much. He's one of the most inaccurate QBs I have seen on passes over 15-20 yards down the field. I wonder if those splits are based on balls in the air or if he got credit for a dumpoff that gained those yards.

hoosier
08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
The splits (1-10, 11-20, etc.) are a reflection of the length of the throw, though the total yardage credited to Jackson of course includes YAC numbers. On passes that traveled 11-20 yards from LOS he completed 48.5% (16 of 33), on passes 21-30 he was 4 of 8. Not a large sample, admittedly. By comparison, ARod was 55% on 11-20 (59 of 107) and 36% (12 of 33). Jackson's 48.5% for intermediate passes (11-20) is somewhat low, but it's not out of this world low.

sharpe1027
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
So this clears the way for Chilly to move on to Rosenfels if the situation arises.

Favre's contract has an out for the Vikes to release him due to injury or skill that would require a $6M payout. Not the full contract if he doesn't complete the season.

I'd love to see how that plays out.

If Favre wants something, history tells us Favre and Bus are not above putting the heat on an organization by playing whatever cards they have. Thus, if Favre wants to play, he'll make every effort to drag Chilly and the Vikings through the mud to get what he wants.

The Vikings sold 2,500 season tickets since Favre signed. Last year they couldn't sell out their games despite leading the division. You think it's as easy as all that? IDK, I think maybe you are oversimplifiying the circus that just setup shop in your town.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
The splits (1-10, 11-20, etc.) are a reflection of the length of the throw, though the total yardage credited to Jackson of course includes YAC numbers. On passes that traveled 11-20 yards from LOS he completed 48.5% (16 of 33), on passes 21-30 he was 4 of 8. Not a large sample, admittedly. By comparison, ARod was 55% on 11-20 (59 of 107) and 36% (12 of 33). Jackson's 48.5% for intermediate passes (11-20) is somewhat low, but it's not out of this world low.

I've seen him for three years, and he's just plain bad on deep throws and not very good on medium throws. His positives are his running ability, decent touch on short throws, and solid on the slants, short in/outs, etc. It looks like the coach just stopped giving him the option of throwing deep. Hard to say from 4 completions. Perhaps those guys were wide open. What were his stats his previous years?

Rastak
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM

I've seen him for three years, and he's just plain bad on deep throws and not very good on medium throws. His positives are his running ability, decent touch on short throws, and solid on the slants, short in/outs, etc. It looks like the coach just stopped giving him the option of throwing deep. Hard to say from 4 completions. Perhaps those guys were wide open. What were his stats his previous years?

What he said.

In addition, it certainly appears he can't read a defense or go through his progressions. These are comments I've heard and it makes some sense from what I see. Even Rosenfels seemed to find some open guys as the Colts did alot of blitzing last Friday.

mngolf19
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM

I'd love to see how that plays out.

If Favre wants something, history tells us Favre and Bus are not above putting the heat on an organization by playing whatever cards they have. Thus, if Favre wants to play, he'll make every effort to drag Chilly and the Vikings through the mud to get what he wants.

The Vikings sold 2,500 season tickets since Favre signed. Last year they couldn't sell out their games despite leading the division. You think it's as easy as all that? IDK, I think maybe you are oversimplifiying the circus that just setup shop in your town.

But would Favre have accepted that clause if that was all he wanted? And again, Chilly will not let him drag the team down too far without replacing him.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
And again, Chilly will not let him drag the team down too far without replacing him.

Famous last words.

Rastak
08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
And again, Chilly will not let him drag the team down too far without replacing him.

Famous last words.

I offer no prediction but I will say self preservation is a helluva motivator.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Famous last words.

True enough. Though it didn't save the last guy.

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/30241/brett-favre-eric-mangini.jpg

Rastak
08-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Famous last words.

True enough. Though it didn't save the last guy.

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/30241/brett-favre-eric-mangini.jpg

I would hope he learned his lesson......hint...."you're fired".

BEARMAN
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
ONE mention of lord faaaaaaarVe unretirering and NO more BEAR bashing ? WTF ? :evil:

You cheeeseeeaters hate lord faaaaaaaarVe more than Da BEARS ? :roll:

Common, ... Take ur best shot...... :cry:

Go BEARS Go !

Rastak
08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
ONE mention of lord faaaaaaarVe unretirering and NO more BEAR bashing ? WTF ? :evil:

Go BEARS Go !

Is this where we hear a rousing rendition of Bear Down?

Bretsky
08-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Go BEARS Go !

Sorry Bearman; your team is a non issue in this division so you don't get much of our focus :lol:

When you get a WR or two and get Hester doing what he's good at then we'll be worried.

For now we have the Vikes and Favre to contend with

MOBB DEEP
08-19-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm confused how you can call people out for taking shots when you take off-hand shots all the time? Yours might be more subtle but they are very much there.

my bad

1 love

The Shadow
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Dabaddestbear wrote:
pittstang5 wrote:
gbgary wrote:
i heard cutler sucked tonight. lol

Two picks...maybe one...not sure.

He had one pick. Nothing major. The Offense two top weapons did not even play, Forte and Olsen. Plus the Best O-lineman did not play (Orlando Pace). He looked hesitant on some throws but did ok on the very vanilla plays they called while he was in there.

No reason for concern on my end. I look at possession players and see how they are working out. I am never concerned after the first preseason game. The lions look good every preseason, but you see how they turn out. Some teams run VERY vanilla calls on both side of the ball just to see what they need to install. And some teams go into preseason with plays they will run frequently in the regular season, only then the teams have tape on it and they go nowhere..ala Detroit.

Are you familiar with the term 'whistling past the graveyard'?
Here's a few things you SHOULD be concerned about :
1. injuries and a big-money contract have made DT Tommie Harris a shell of his former self. Not much talent inside. Adams, Harrison, and Dvorcek?
Please!
2. the secondary is a mess. Best player Tillman's injury should keep him out for a considerable while, and trying to eventually play corner effectively with a bad back - good luck! The rest of the secondary's play resembles a Chinese firedrill.
3. Still no sign of a pass rush. Defensive ends don't look good.
4. the worst receiving corp in the NFL.
5. the offensive line looks mediocre at best.

"No reason for concern on my end" sure sounds a bit like General Custer's last memo!

Merlin
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
My take?

If you aren't afraid of a Favre lead Vikings team, then why are people saying "well he hasn't done this or that in the past x years" or "his passer rating down field last year was X", I mean seriously? If you aren't afraid, then why are you trying so hard to make your case? I think the reverse may be true and nobody wants to admit it.

Let me be the first to admit it, a Favre lead Vikings team, 40 years old or not, is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the Vikings team that tore us apart in the dome last year. The other factor? The NFC North - the powerhouse conference that it is. There is a lot of reason to be afraid. The Vikings defense doesn't need anymore help stopping our offense. Our offense, HASN'T CHANGED MUCH since Favre left - even the cadence is the same. That alone is a huge cause for concern. The 3-4? Are you serious? We have only seen it run against the Browns with an OL that did not include all of their starters. Do you REALLY think the success we had in ONE preseason game is enough to be all "our defense kicks ass" about it? There will be growing pains with this defense, just like the 4 years of growing pains building a roster. If it works overnight, great, but don't dismiss a guy who SAW THE 3-4 ALL LAST SEASON. You can't conveniently forget that the Patriots, Dolphins, Chargers, 49er's (hybrid), Arizona (hybrid), and the Jets themselves run a 3-4? That makes 7 out of 16 games he played against the 3-4 and he was exposed to it at practice. Is it enough to erase 17 years facing mostly a 4-3? Who knows, but to say "Favre hasn't had success against a 3-4..." as a reason not to be afraid of him isn't taking reality into consideration.

As far as Green Bay is concerned, keep the message board about Green Bay. Brett Favre has not been a Packer for 2 seasons now yet there are more threads on here about him then there are any other subject. I wish him well and success to the point it doesn't affect the Packers. I wonder if all of the haters will be rooting for Favre come the end of the season when we need the Vikings to beat someone for us to get into the playoffs? My guess, probably...

Bossman641
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I wonder if all of the haters will be rooting for Favre come the end of the season when we need the Vikings to beat someone for us to get into the playoffs? My guess, probably...

Does that really make you a hater or just someone with sense who would like to see the Packers keep playing? If that's the best you can do I'd head back to the drawing board.

pasquale
08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder if all of the haters will be rooting for Favre come the end of the season when we need the Vikings to beat someone for us to get into the playoffs? My guess, probably...

Does that really make you a hater or just someone with sense who would like to see the Packers keep playing? If that's the best you can do I'd head back to the drawing board.

If this was the case, I'd cheer for the Vikes or even the Bears, as would I'm assuming most people. I'm missing your point there, Merlin.

CaptainKickass
08-19-2009, 11:48 PM
yet there are more threads on here about him then there are any other subject.

Well, Merlin, It has been a slow offseason, AND we're all victims of habit when it comes to Brent and the offseason drama. We're just so conditioned to respond if he's in the news.

On the other hand -

Instead of pointing out the inadequate quantity of threads actually about the Pack, you could go ahead put your imagination to work on that keyboard in front of you, along with your skill at crafting sentences and occasional paragraphs, and ....oh I don't know.....start some threads that fit your criteria?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

gex
08-20-2009, 01:39 AM
My take?

If you aren't afraid of a Favre lead Vikings team, then why are people saying "well he hasn't done this or that in the past x years" or "his passer rating down field last year was X", I mean seriously? If you aren't afraid, then why are you trying so hard to make your case? I think the reverse may be true and nobody wants to admit it.

Let me be the first to admit it, a Favre lead Vikings team, 40 years old or not, is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the Vikings team that tore us apart in the dome last year. The other factor? The NFC North - the powerhouse conference that it is. There is a lot of reason to be afraid. The Vikings defense doesn't need anymore help stopping our offense. Our offense, HASN'T CHANGED MUCH since Favre left - even the cadence is the same. That alone is a huge cause for concern. The 3-4? Are you serious? We have only seen it run against the Browns with an OL that did not include all of their starters. Do you REALLY think the success we had in ONE preseason game is enough to be all "our defense kicks ass" about it? There will be growing pains with this defense, just like the 4 years of growing pains building a roster. If it works overnight, great, but don't dismiss a guy who SAW THE 3-4 ALL LAST SEASON. You can't conveniently forget that the Patriots, Dolphins, Chargers, 49er's (hybrid), Arizona (hybrid), and the Jets themselves run a 3-4? That makes 7 out of 16 games he played against the 3-4 and he was exposed to it at practice. Is it enough to erase 17 years facing mostly a 4-3? Who knows, but to say "Favre hasn't had success against a 3-4..." as a reason not to be afraid of him isn't taking reality into consideration.

As far as Green Bay is concerned, keep the message board about Green Bay. Brett Favre has not been a Packer for 2 seasons now yet there are more threads on here about him then there are any other subject. I wish him well and success to the point it doesn't affect the Packers. I wonder if all of the haters will be rooting for Favre come the end of the season when we need the Vikings to beat someone for us to get into the playoffs? My guess, probably...

8-)

th87
08-20-2009, 02:51 AM
My take?

I actually agree. Favre does make the Vikings better than they were previously. But we've gotten better too, and if we stay healthy, I think we'll be very successful this season.

hoosier
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM

He barely played in 2006 so I won't look at those. In '07 he was good in intermediate passing (11-20)--34 of 57, 60%, 88 rating--but was pretty putrid in passes thrown more than 20 yds from LOS: 2 of 36 for 178 yds with 5 picks and 2 tds. Based on stats alone I would say he is limited to throwing short and intermediate, and that he appears to be able to do that successfully. With the Vikings running game I would think that would be enough to keep defenses honest.

Rastak
08-20-2009, 09:03 AM

He barely played in 2006 so I won't look at those. In '07 he was good in intermediate passing (11-20)--34 of 57, 60%, 88 rating--but was pretty putrid in passes thrown more than 20 yds from LOS: 2 of 36 for 178 yds with 5 picks and 2 tds. Based on stats alone I would say he is limited to throwing short and intermediate, and that he appears to be able to do that successfully. With the Vikings running game I would think that would be enough to keep defenses honest.

I've watched every snap he's taken as a pro and this guy lacks in several areas. I honestly don't think he has what it takes to be an average NFL starter.

MOBB DEEP
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
My take?

good points merl

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4408497

His skills are deteriorating

It's fairly common knowledge Favre led the NFL in interceptions with 22 last season. But it was when they occurred that proved to be even more costly for the Jets. Favre struggled when it mattered most: when losing, on third down and in the second half.

Some examples of Favre's inadequacy in 2008 (minimum 200 attempts):

# Seven interceptions in the fourth quarter (only Marc Bulger was worse).

# Nine interceptions on third down (only Jay Cutler was worse).

# A 79.3 quarterback rating in the second half (23 quarterbacks were better).

# A 66.8 quarterback rating when losing (24 quarterbacks were better).

Some might say Favre has a better arm than the last crop of Vikings quarterbacks. That might true, but the passes aren't as accurate as they used to be.

Favre's completion percentage to targets 20 yards or more downfield was just 22.8 in 2008. That's a drop of more than 16 percent from the previous season. He also threw 10 interceptions and just five touchdowns on those long throws.

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Here is a couple more stats to chew on

Favre has gone .500 in his last 80 starts.

Over 100 interceptions since 2004

The reason I am posting these is not because Im "scared." I see nothing wrong with posting my opinion as to why he won't do well, just like others are posting why they think he will do well. The evidence just keeps piling up against the guy...

mraynrand
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Favre will have some good games - possibly some great games. Like at TN and NE last year. But he's also going to have some dogs, especially on the heels of a week where he takes a major beating. Old NFL bodies just cannot recover that quickly, and in NFL terms, Favre is a geezer. I hope the Packers get him on the heels of one of those beatings and then proceed to thrash the living shit out of that gray, decrepit, 'living corpse.'

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Umm.....oops?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/20/partial-tear-in-favres-cuff-likely-to-worsen/

Fritz
08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Favre will have some good games - possibly some great games. Like at TN and NE last year. But he's also going to have some dogs, especially on the heels of a week where he takes a major beating. Old NFL bodies just cannot recover that quickly, and in NFL terms, Favre is a geezer. I hope the Packers get him on the heels of one of those beatings and then proceed to thrash the living shit out of that gray, decrepit, 'living corpse.'

This is my thinking as well. It'll be fun to read the screaming "I TOLD YOU SO's" after Favre throws for 220 yards and 3 td's in a game, and the opposing "HAH's" when he throws for 140 yards and 3 picks.

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 11:34 AM

This is my thinking as well. It'll be fun to read the screaming "I TOLD YOU SO's" after Favre throws for 220 yards and 3 td's in a game

Unlikely. He has throw 3 or more scores only three times in his last 23 starts.

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
He has thrown at least 2 touchdowns only 11 times his last 23 starts.

He has thrown at least 2 picks 13 times in his last 23 starts.

Fritz
08-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, I'm not saying Favre's going to be spectacular. In fact, I have posted elsewhere that I believe ultimately Favre will not help Minnesota much if at all.

I'm just saying that he's still capable of putting up some amazing numbers occasionally. What was it, six TD's last year in a game or something? There'll be highlight reel rockets and Minny fans will be getting big wood (not all of them), but in the end, I don't think the risk will pay off for them.

Zool
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
What if he has a game where he throws 200 yards, 3td's and 3int's? Will the world implode?

Bossman641
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Good point

The Vikings play home against SF in week 3 and home against GB in 4. Favre may not be too beat up for this one, but the Vikings play at Pitt in week 7 and at GB in week 8. I like the idea of a battered and bruised Favre coming into GB and getting the shit kicked out of him.

Partial
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Battered and bruised? The Vikes have a huge O line. He'll be fine.

CaptainKickass
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
What if he has a game where he throws 200 yards, 3td's and 3int's? Will the world implode?

Nope

But it may tear a hole in the time-space continuum. This will cause time to warp and many of us nice people will be instantly swept up into a wormhole, resulting in being switched with our alter-selves from another dimension.

Oh yeah, we'll be easily identified by our new bad attitudes and evil goatee's on our faces.

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM

In 2008, Vikings QBs were sacked 43 times.

In 2008, Favre was sacked 30 times.

You were saying?

Rastak
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM

You were saying?

Frerotte was a friggen statue. Ryan Cook was also a statue at RT.

Bossman641
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM

We will see how much the Steelers hit Favre. I'm guessing he'll come out with quite a few grass stains.

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM

You were saying?

Yes because Favre isn't a statue....please....

Have fun with having 1 of only 2 QBs to have ever lost to a .500 team in the playoffs.

MadtownPacker
08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Have fun with having 1 of only 2 QBs to have ever lost to a .500 team in the playoffs.Man chevelley you are such a punk ass shit talker. Do you do anything for this forum besides punch Favre nuts? Get a life joto. It's 2009 and the world has moved on. Give it a try.

Scott Campbell
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Man chevelley you are such a punk ass shit talker. Do you do anything for this forum besides punch Favre nuts? Get a life joto. It's 2009 and the world has moved on. Give it a try.

It breathes............

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Have fun with having 1 of only 2 QBs to have ever lost to a .500 team in the playoffs.Man chevelley you are such a punk ass shit talker. Do you do anything for this forum besides punch Favre nuts? Get a life joto. It's 2009 and the world has moved on. Give it a try.

Whats with the personal attacks?

Pugger
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The queens problem is Favre needs a HC like Holmgren and MM with the stones to actually coach him. Shermy and Rhodes treated BF like royalty and his stats crashed. BF finally gets a HC who has him come into camp in prime condition and gets after him for boneheaded plays and he has an MVP-like season. I can't imagin ole Chilly getting into Brent's face after he chucks up an INT at the worst possible moment.

Pugger
08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
:oops:

MadtownPacker
08-20-2009, 02:35 PM

Whats with the personal attacks?Personal? I dont even know you but dont get timid now. You only knew me as the asshole who had to put up with all of you cracka asses bullshit. Long ago I actually was able to enjoy forums. THe good times are back fool.

Guess I am no better than you. I contribute nothing. Get use to it.

Scott Campbell
08-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I contribute nothing.

.......or as I like to call it - a significant improvement.

packerbacker1234
08-20-2009, 02:39 PM

You were saying?

Favre has always been one of the least sacked QB's each season. Partly due to his pocket awareness (how soon do we forget his ability to sense a guy right on his back), partly due some years to great OL's, and also due to his quick release. He has never needed some massive windup to get that ball out of his hands.

I'm just saying, the vikings OL is better then the Jets, and favre has always been really good at avoiding sacks and the big hits. How do you think he has stayed mostly major injury free for 17 seasons until his torn biceps? How do you think he has never missed a start? Give favre some credit here, he is one of the best ever at avoiding sacks.

MadtownPacker
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I contribute nothing.

.......or as I like to call it - a significant improvement.Yes, you have been very informative thru the years with your smart ass comments. Truly you are the foundation of Packer discussion in the universe.

So you going to the poster get together SC? I am and woudl love to hang out with you. Surely a big exec like you can dig into that fat bank account and shell out for the trip.

Gunakor
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
How do you think he has stayed mostly major injury free for 17 seasons until his torn biceps? How do you think he has never missed a start?

Divine intervention. Knees of a 25 year old. Brett hasn't kept his jersey clean his whole career, I've seen him take some pretty wicked hits that normal human beings wouldn't just bounce back up from. You can sack him. He has incredible pocket awareness, but he's not untouchable.

Scott Campbell
I contribute nothing.

.......or as I like to call it - a significant improvement.Yes, you have been very informative thru the years with your smart ass comments. Truly you are the foundation of Packer discussion in the universe.

So you going to the poster get together SC? I am and woudl love to hang out with you. Surely a big exec like you can dig into that fat bank account and shell out for the trip.

I'll bring the bratwurst. You bring the leaf blower.

Merlin

There were times last season that the Vikings OL looked horrible in pass blocking and Peterson is an outstanding running back so some of his success is because of himself. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings OL just doesn't pull a "Longest Yard" type move on Favre. Unless they were privy to the whole thing the entire time and kept their mouths shut.

Bossman641
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

You were saying?

Favre has always been one of the least sacked QB's each season. Partly due to his pocket awareness (how soon do we forget his ability to sense a guy right on his back), partly due some years to great OL's, partly due to his tendency to float moon balls into the sky rather than stand in the pocket and take a shot, and also due to his quick release. He has never needed some massive windup to get that ball out of his hands.

Edit

MadtownPacker
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I'll bring the bratwurst. You bring the leaf blower.If we get together it might be better if I bring a mop.

Rastak
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I'll bring the bratwurst. You bring the leaf blower.If we get together it might be better if I bring a mop.

What up Mad?

mission
08-20-2009, 03:35 PM

You were saying?

Favre has always been one of the least sacked QB's each season. Partly due to his pocket awareness (how soon do we forget his ability to sense a guy right on his back), partly due some years to great OL's, and also due to his quick release. He has never needed some massive windup to get that ball out of his hands.

I'm just saying, the vikings OL is better then the Jets, and favre has always been really good at avoiding sacks and the big hits. How do you think he has stayed mostly major injury free for 17 seasons until his torn biceps? How do you think he has never missed a start? Give favre some credit here, he is one of the best ever at avoiding sacks.

"Quick release" huh ... you mean just throwing the ball so quick just so he can avoid getting hit. Where it might be better to take a sack or wait an additional second for the seem to open up. Favre is notoriously great at doing whatever he can to not take a big hit -- even if it's for the detriment of the team.

packerbacker1234
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM

You were saying?

"Quick release" huh ... you mean just throwing the ball so quick just so he can avoid getting hit. Where it might be better to take a sack or wait an additional second for the seem to open up. Favre is notoriously great at doing whatever he can to not take a big hit -- even if it's for the detriment of the team.

Actually, most the time he was just trying to make a play. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Christ man, get off the damn hate train. He did some amazing stuff for us, as well as some bad things as well. In the situation you are talking about, he has also happened to make some spectacular plays... so get off the hatorade

MOBB DEEP
08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
lol at mad's cameo and his taking names...

watup?

denverYooper
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

You were saying?

Actually, most the time he was just trying to make a play. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Christ man, get off the damn hate train. He did some amazing stuff for us, as well as some bad things as well. In the situation you are talking about, he has also happened to make some spectacular plays... so get off the hatorade

He has a valid point. It's not all just "pocket awareness" and "his quick release" that helps him avoid sacks: Favre is notorious for getting rid of the ball inbounds in order to avoid a hit. Trying to make a play is not always a positive thing. As the saying goes, "discretion is the better part of valor".

Rastak
08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Chevelle, for a guy not scared of him you sure are trying to conjure up enough evidence to convince yourself....LOL.....dude, just let it play out.

We'll see if he's washed up. He may very well be.

Pugger
08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
But there are times when there just isn't anything there and the smart play is to throw it away or take the sack.

mraynrand
08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
"For those of you who take it upon yourselves to tell us all exactly how we should or shouldn't post about Brett Favre, please refrain."

Bretsky
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Chevelle, for a guy not scared of him you sure are trying to conjure up enough evidence to convince yourself....LOL.....dude, just let it play out.

We'll see if he's washed up. He may very well be.

Or he may lead the Vikes to the Super Bows..........who knows

See any threads about the Lions ??

You don't see threads about things you are not worried about

See any Favre/Viking talk around here lately :idea:

Freak Out
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Whats with the personal attacks?Personal? I dont even know you but dont get timid now. You only knew me as the asshole who had to put up with all of you cracka asses bullshit. Long ago I actually was able to enjoy forums. THe good times are back fool.

Guess I am no better than you. I contribute nothing. Get use to it.

Wow......you seem to be pretty close to normal...that's a good sign I think.

esoxx
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM

You were saying?

Have fun with having 1 of only 2 QBs to have ever lost to a .500 team in the playoffs.

Punk ass Favre troll

th87
08-21-2009, 02:33 AM

You were saying?

Punk ass Favre troll

Says the Favre fanboy.

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM

You were saying?

Punk ass Favre troll

Says the Favre fanboy.

:lol:

esoxx
08-21-2009, 06:52 PM

You were saying?

Punk ass Favre troll

Says the Favre fanboy.

Wrong again. About par for the course for you.