PDA

View Full Version : Back To Packers News

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Josh Sitton gets a thumbs up. Al Harris gets a thumb down--although they say he's adjusting well. The thumbs down is for his continued lack of making big plays. Personally, I'd be perfectly content if Al's play mirrors what he's given us the last several years. He doesn't have great hands, so at the end of his career I'm not expecting a scheme change to turn him into Chuck Woodson.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/53628987.html

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
On the same day that Al gets a thumbs down from JSO, GBPG gives him and Chuck a thumbs up.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090818/PKR01/90818181/1058/PKR01

Thumbs down to the two minute offense--although it sounds like drive that Rodgers engineered was handicapped by a mishandled shotgun snap.

Linebacker Aaron Kampman made one of his best plays in coverage so far this camp. While in perfect position trailing tight end Spencer Havner on a deep sideline route, Kampman broke up a pass without even turning his head to look back at the quarterback.

If he can be adequate in coverage, he could be a real beast. Camp reports make it sound like he's been a load on blitzes and in the run game.

mraynrand
08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
It stuns me that there is this attempt to denigrate Al Harris by comparing him to Woodson. Woodson is an incredible athlete, with great football knack and skills - and is one of the finest corners in the NFL. Harris has built himself into a good starting corner, though always limited in speed and ball awareness. They aren't in the same category. It's like comparing Craig Newsome to Vincent or Sanders.

denverYooper
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Sounds like Raji's in relatively good shape for missing 2 weeks, also and they're working him in with the 1's.

I'm pretty glad to see that.

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
It stuns me that there is this attempt to denigrate Al Harris by comparing him to Woodson. Woodson is an incredible athlete, with great football knack and skills - and is one of the finest corners in the NFL. Harris has built himself into a good starting corner, though always limited in speed and ball awareness. They aren't in the same category. It's like comparing Craig Newsome to Vincent or Sanders.

Agree. If Harris can simply cover his man and take that WR out of the equation for the QB, then he's done his job. INTs are nice but if he doesn't get thrown at, that's a win for him on that play.

bobblehead
08-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Always a big Al fan. Not sure how Dom will incorporate him, but I'm sure they will find a way. Guys don't hold down #1's week in and week out only to be completely lost with a scheme change.

Remember, Chuck wasn't picking off 8 passes a season in a long time...until he got the benefit of playing on the other side as Al.

pbmax
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
JSO had Jenkins come off the field last night (Practice 17) with what looked like a leg injury. They later tweeted that he looked OK and was not injured, and M3 did not discuss him as injured after practice. Let's hope that holds out.

Also noted by GBPG that Poppinga (he of the lost contain versus Josh Cribbs end around) has actually been working both OLB positions due to Matthews and Thompson's unavailability. Hopefully if he settles into just the backup role for AK, he will not repeat that mistake.

hoosier
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
JSO had Jenkins come off the field last night (Practice 17) with what looked like a leg injury. They later tweeted that he looked OK and was not injured, and M3 did not discuss him as injured after practice. Let's hope that holds out.

Also noted by GBPG that Poppinga (he of the lost contain versus Josh Cribbs end around) has actually been working both OLB positions due to Matthews and Thompson's unavailability. Hopefully if he settles into just the backup role for AK, he will not repeat that mistake.

ROLB is really a concern at this point. They have no idea what kind of player Thompson will be, and we can assume that Matthews, like most rookies, is going to struggle at first. If the Packers go into the season starting Poops on the far right side I imagine that will significantly diminish their ability to create pressure and remain unpredictable.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/08/18/vikings-favre/index.html

Don't hand NFC to Vikings just yet

1. Favre's old team could win the division. It's a scenario that has to be the absolute worst-case scenario for both Favre and anyone who loves the Vikings, but I think the Packers are headed for a big bounce-back season and could very well win the NFC North. With some legitimate depth on the defensive line, Green Bay's transition to a 3-4 front is off to a promising start under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers looks confident and poised for a monster season, and the Packers have some young offensive talent that looks ready to take the next step (tight end Jermichael Findley, running back Brandon Jackson and receiver Jordy Nelson, to name three).

Green Bay and Rodgers denying Favre another shot at playoff glory would be rich, eh? But then, we've already seen Favre and his Jets denied a playoff trip last year by Miami and Chad Pennington, the guy he replaced in New York.

mmmdk
08-19-2009, 05:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/08/18/vikings-favre/index.html

1. Favre's old team could win the division. It's a scenario that has to be the absolute worst-case scenario for both Favre and anyone who loves the Vikings, but I think the Packers are headed for a big bounce-back season and could very well win the NFC North. With some legitimate depth on the defensive line, Green Bay's transition to a 3-4 front is off to a promising start under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers looks confident and poised for a monster season, and the Packers have some young offensive talent that looks ready to take the next step (tight end Jermichael Findley, running back Brandon Jackson and receiver Jordy Nelson, to name three).

Green Bay and Rodgers denying Favre another shot at playoff glory would be rich, eh? But then, we've already seen Favre and his Jets denied a playoff trip last year by Miami and Chad Pennington, the guy he replaced in New York.

I think the NFC North is wide open: Packers, Bears & Vikings all have a shot at the division. Lions are still lost.

Rastak
08-19-2009, 07:21 PM

I think the NFC North is wide open: Packers, Bears & Vikings all have a shot at the division. Lions are still lost.

Agreed.

MJZiggy
08-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Now watch the stupid Lions friggin take it.

hoosier
08-20-2009, 09:02 AM

I don't see the Bears being able to compete with Minn and GB. One of those two is going to finish 10-6 or better, and the Bears are limited on both sides of the ball. On offense Forte is good but he's more suited to a ball control type offense. None of their receivers have shown they can perform consistently for a whole year. Their offensive line is just ok and will really be hurting if Pace doesn't hold up. On defense their best players (with the exception of Briggs) are aging. The Bears will be lucky to compete for a WC berth.

CaptainKickass
08-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Oh c'mon MJ, Didja really need to post that?

Geezus.

:doh:

rbaloha1
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Expect Al Harris to figure it out and make plays. However the 2010 season could be his last.

Fritz
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Yet wasn't there a JSO article today talking Packer depth to the point that Poppinga might be trade bait?

That struck me as stoopid. I posted that question on Rats a while back, and the consensus is that you prolly couldn't get anything for him and if you could the very best would be a fifth rounder. Maybe.

And with the lingering injuries of Mathews and Thompson, who'd trade Poppinga now?

But I don't get Insider, so maybe the headline was misleading.

MJZiggy
08-20-2009, 07:56 PM

Oh c'mon MJ, Didja really need to post that?

Geezus.

:doh:

I'm just sayin' everyone's talking like they don't even play football there. Well...ummm....still, you can't completely count them out.

mmmdk
08-21-2009, 07:06 AM

I don't see the Bears being able to compete with Minn and GB. One of those two is going to finish 10-6 or better, and the Bears are limited on both sides of the ball. On offense Forte is good but he's more suited to a ball control type offense. None of their receivers have shown they can perform consistently for a whole year. Their offensive line is just ok and will really be hurting if Pace doesn't hold up. On defense their best players (with the exception of Briggs) are aging. The Bears will be lucky to compete for a WC berth.

Good point! Always good if Bears suck; still Packers to the top!

Merlin
08-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Yet wasn't there a JSO article today talking Packer depth to the point that Poppinga might be trade bait?

That struck me as stoopid. I posted that question on Rats a while back, and the consensus is that you prolly couldn't get anything for him and if you could the very best would be a fifth rounder. Maybe.

And with the lingering injuries of Mathews and Thompson, who'd trade Poppinga now?

But I don't get Insider, so maybe the headline was misleading.

We have done stranger things with injuries at a position before. Thompson has something up his sleeve at LB, you don't trade up for a player like Mathews unless you have something in mind. Not that he wouldn't have been a good pick in a later round, but his talent didn't warrant that kind of move. Thompson is going to let someone go and we shouldn't be surprised at whoever that is. We might not find out this season because Mathews is "injured" currently and with as much time as he has missed, it may be mid-season before he is up to speed.

MichiganPackerFan
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: