PDA

View Full Version : Importance of second preseason game

Partial
08-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Two years ago when the Packers went off, I knew they were going to be damn good after the Seattle pre-season game where Jenkins showed he was an effin monster, and Bigby hurdled an entire offensive line to sack a mofo. Those two players were stars in that game, and went on to become core players during the incredible season.

Who will step up big this week? What do you expect to see out of this game? I think Finley is going to be an offensive star, and Collins is going to be unleashed on D.

Fosco33
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Good topic.

I'd like to see (by the 3rd game) a little more consistency in the starting lineups - particularly with the 3-4 D and the Oline. Obvious ones coming to mind - Al (is he too old), Clay/BJ (will they play). When does Barnett get back on the field?? A well performing D generally has the base and 3rd down packages (nickel/dime) pretty determined. Is there a true leader on the Defense (a la LeRoy or Reggie?).

Cheesehead Craig
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I would like to see our OL have a great game. That unit needs to really step up this year and show that we'll have some consistent running ability.

alquaal
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Just bought tickets for the game. If anyone is in the area they are selling them for $15 a pop on E bay.

rbaloha1
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Consistency and players starting to solidify starting position.

Fritz
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
And the usual proviso:

no one gets hurt.

Partial
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Good topic.

I'd like to see (by the 3rd game) a little more consistency in the starting lineups - particularly with the 3-4 D and the Oline. Obvious ones coming to mind - Al (is he too old), Clay/BJ (will they play). When does Barnett get back on the field?? A well performing D generally has the base and 3rd down packages (nickel/dime) pretty determined. Is there a true leader on the Defense (a la LeRoy or Reggie?).

I think you've gotta look at Barnett as the leader of the D. At the very least, he is certainly the vocal leader as far as we know, and his position lends itself to leadership. Worst case scenario is everyone plays a little more fiery when you've got a wrecking ball like Barnett out there lighting people up.

Fosco33
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Good topic.

I think you've gotta look at Barnett as the leader of the D. At the very least, he is certainly the vocal leader as far as we know, and his position lends itself to leadership. Worst case scenario is everyone plays a little more fiery when you've got a wrecking ball like Barnett out there lighting people up.

I suppose. I really liked when Butler would get involved in shifts and motivating others. For whatever reason, I see the Safety as the 'QB' of the Defense -- MLB could do the same...

Cheesehead Craig
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Good topic.

I suppose. I really liked when Butler would get involved in shifts and motivating others. For whatever reason, I see the Safety as the 'QB' of the Defense -- MLB could do the same...
I can really either be the S or MLB as the leader, it's all dependant on the personality of the player an such. No denying that Butler knew his stuff and the MLB back then didn't command as much respect in the huddle as Butler did.

Partial
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Agreed. I tend to think that Barnett is that respected figure. I just can't see it being Collins as he's not the brightest, most outspoken/well spoken guy, or Bigby, as he just isn't the caliber of player to make it appropriate.

Scott Campbell
08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Good topic.

No matter how well Jenkins or anybody else is playing, it's got to be Chuck. Plays hurt. Always instinctive. Gamer. We are damned lucky to have him.

CaptainKickass
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Back to the topic:

The second game is more important than the first, but less important than the third. I'm guessing that's why they are designated by numbers.

Tho - it could be argued that the last game is less important because the starters are pretty much out from the first series on. But from a "who's gonna make the roster" perspective - the numerical sequence makes more sense.

In order of importance:

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4

Lemme know if I can clarify anything else. :P

Merlin
08-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Two years ago when the Packers went off, I knew they were going to be damn good after the Seattle pre-season game where Jenkins showed he was an effin monster, and Bigby hurdled an entire offensive line to sack a mofo. Those two players were stars in that game, and went on to become core players during the incredible season.

Who will step up big this week? What do you expect to see out of this game? I think Finley is going to be an offensive star, and Collins is going to be unleashed on D.

Wasn't that the year that people wanted Bigby cut because of his poor play in I believe the first preseason game?