PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers You Root For/Against

Fritz
08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The whole Brett Favre Should-We-Boo-or-Is-He-Cool thing got me thinking about other former Packers and how I feel about them. Here's a list of players I've rooted against and for, with a 1 - 10 scale. Feel free to comment or add your own.

Against:

Ryan Longwell. The Applebees comment. The constant thinly veiled barbs about holders. The explanations as to why he missed kicks. I just didn't like the guy, period. And when he went to Minnesota....well, let's just say I root against every kick he tries. He's good, but that doesn't mean I can't hate him!

Darren Sharper. Sure, it was about the money. I get that, that's cool. But he liked to run his mouth, he liked to try to return interceptions from his own end zone even if he was surrounded, and he liked to hold the ball with one hand while people were chasing and tackling him. Oh, and there's this one play against the San Francisco 49ers...

Mike Wahle. I don't know why. He just seemed like an azz.

For:

Brett Conway. Weird, I know. But I think the coaching staff totally wrecked this guy. I still think kickers don't get the coaching and attention they require given their importance to a game's outcome. He was getting blasted from the get go, even though he didn't pick himself in the third round, and then the Packers worked him til his leg fell off after he missed a couple pre-season kicks. So I root for him. Mildly.

Robert Ferguson. Yeah, the turd. But he came in seemingly ignorant and immature and seemed to grow up over time. Never realized his potential and now he never will (or did he just not have that much?), but the kind of guy who's trying to eke out a living. I like him enough to hope he does okay.

Marco Rivera. Yeah, he left for money to, but you and me and your mother and your mother's brother all knew he was at the end of the line and needed to, what do they say, maximize his earning potential? And if the Cowboys were dumb enough, what the hell. Go Marco!

CaptainKickass
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Ok - this one's easy....

Former Packers I root FOR:

None

Former packers I root AGAINST:

All

Chevelle2
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Educate me on Brett Conway? I was a kid, and just remember that we got the best K in the nation, and he prompted to flat out suck.

What was the deal?

Fritz
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
He was a third round pick and that's extra pressure. And sure, kickers face pressure, but he missed a couple of pre-season kicks, everybody - in my opinion, the team included - panicked. They worked him until his leg practically fell off, and he was toast soon thereafter.

sheepshead
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I concur Fritz, same sentiment here.

Scott Campbell
08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
For:

Bert Farve

Against:

Hwy 24 - Ahmad Carroll

]{ilr]3
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I have always wanted to see Ahman Green do well after moving on.

The guy was a trooper for the Pack. Heard he was getting a serious look by the Rams this week 8-)

Gunakor
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
For: Antonio Freeman at the Legends game in Hawaii come February. If he plays in it again, that is.

Against: Any former Packer currently active on the roster of an NFL team that appears twice on our schedule in any given year.

Lurker64
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Against: Any former Packer currently active on the roster of an NFL team that appears twice on our schedule in any given year.

Definitely this, also any former Packers playing for the Cowboys, Broncos, or Eagles.

greensled
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
definitely against mike mckenzie and javon walker

sharpe1027
08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
I was always for backups that couldn't crack the starting lineup on GB, but were given a chance to start elsewhere. There always seemed to be a lot of QBs that fit that bill over the past 16 years or so. Hasselback, Brunnell, Detmer, Brooks...

Fritz
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
definitely against mike mckenzie and javon walker

Y'know, I was a Mike Mckenzie fan until he got stinky about his contract. Hard working, seemed quiet, a good solid corner. Then he suddenly went prima donna.

MJZiggy
08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Against: Walker

For: Gado. Always had a soft spot for that kid.

Brando19
08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
This is a really cool thread.

Former Packers I root for:

Dorsey Levens: Love the guy. Rooted for him when he was with the Eagles...glad he retired a Packer.

Brett Favre: The Jet

Samkon Gado: Nothing very special as a player, but a good guy.

Bubba Franks: Always a fan.

Jon Ryan: Should have never been cut. Terrible move.

Ahman Green: Can't wait for him to retire a Packer.

Former Packers I root against:

Brett Favre: The Viking and drama queen.

Javon Walker: Nut case.

Ryan Longwell: Dork.

Mike McKenzie: He's no Charles Woodson.

Lurker64
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Really, a lot of it has to do with the circumstances under which they leave Green Bay. If they bitch and moan, create a media circus, and a lot of bad feelings, I want them to fail wherever they go.

If they leave on good terms via trade or free agency, and don't go to a division rival or a team I hate for other reasons, I generally want them to do well.

Bretsky
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Root for all former packers except da Fraud

Freak Out
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Favre/Favre :)

KYPack
08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Abdul Hodge is in the "root for" category for me.

Remember whn everybody said he was the steal of the draft when we got him for 3?

Wait, wait to evaluate.

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 02:07 AM
for = anyone that provided me with ENTERTAINMENT

against = anyone that slapped my mama

MichiganPackerFan
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
I love rooting for the try-hard players that couldn't crack the starting lineup, that got opportunities somewhere else. I naturally root for the underdog.

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 08:29 AM
I love rooting for the try-hard players that couldn't crack the starting lineup, that got opportunities somewhere else. I naturally root for the underdog.

QFT...u must be a gemini like myself - im a champion of the underdog across the board