PDA

View Full Version : What is the most interesting roster battle?

Patler
08-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Going into TC I thought WR might be, but it has fizzled out. Swain and Allen have had moments, but nothing that will make me overly sad to see one or both go.

RB is mildly interesting, with at least one and perhaps two more than they can carry. Sutton is a good story. Lumpkin has been kind of quiet. Wynn started strong, but ......

OL - interesting only with respect to who starts where and whether Wells stays if not a starter. The battle for roster spots is sort of ho-hum between Moll and Meredith for the last spot, perhaps. Who starts at RT is a question, but I'm not sure Barbre and Giacomini have done enough to make it interesting.

TE - interesting only because of Havner as possibly a two-way backup.
FB -sort of interesting, but then again, they're fullbacks; how exciting can it be??
QB - nothing
Kicker & LS - no competition.
Punter - I suppose they have to keep one of them, but maybe not!

Dline - Harrell's injury and possible, maybe even probable placement on IR took much of the uncertainty out of the roster battle.

DB's - this is actually kind of interesting, with more players having something going for them than there are spots available. Even if Rouse' injury takes him out of the running it looks like room for 1 safety and 1, maybe 2 corners from CB Brandon Underwood, CB-S Jarrett Bush, S Charlie Peprah, CB Pat Lee, CB Trevor Ford and CB Joe Porter. Lee's injury could let the Packers stash him on IR for the season.

But, LINEBACKER! That's where it gets interesting. Kampman, Chillar, Hawk, Bishop, Barnett, Matthews, Thompson, Poppinga, Jones, Obiozor, Lansanah. At least one and probably two of the last four will be gone. Jones is said to be showing a real knack after finally getting on the field, and he seems to have the potential that you like to see in a low round draft choice. Poppinga is who he is, a valuable special-teams player and a very good team oriented guy. Obiozor is starting to get good press and apparently Kevin Greene has taken a liking to him and his potential. Lansanah had been sort of quiet through training camp but was credited for a lot of Bishop's blitzing success in the first game. This will be an interesting battle and may result in a surprise or two before the start of the regular season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2009, 09:52 AM
OL - interesting only with respect to who starts where and whether Wells stays if not a starter.

Wells is at least the 6th best offensive lineman. There is zero chance that he gets cut. Ya, its a bummer that he can only play center, but with Spitz's flexibility, Wells gives them quality depth at all three inside positions.

But, LINEBACKER! That's where it gets interesting. Kampman, Chillar, Hawk, Bishop, Barnett, Matthews, Thompson, Poppinga, Jones, Obiozor, Lansanah. At least one and probably two of the last four will be gone.

Wonder if they would trade Poppinga

bobblehead
08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
RT is the one I'm paying attention to just because I think one of them emerging is a must for a productive season.

sounds similar to what we have at many positions where we have two guys with opposite skills. From what I have read Barbre has been run blocking very well, but less than adequate at pass pro, while Lang has been just the opposite.

In the end I think MM has been wanting a smash mouth run game for so long that he goes with Babre, but that is just my hunch....any way I find it the best battle in camp.

Patler
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
OL - interesting only with respect to who starts where and whether Wells stays if not a starter.

Wells is at least the 6th best offensive lineman. There is zero chance that he gets cut. Ya, its a bummer that he can only play center, but with Spitz's flexibility, Wells gives them quality depth at all three inside positions.

But, LINEBACKER! That's where it gets interesting. Kampman, Chillar, Hawk, Bishop, Barnett, Matthews, Thompson, Poppinga, Jones, Obiozor, Lansanah. At least one and probably two of the last four will be gone.

Wonder if they would trade Poppinga

They won't cut Wells, but I think if they go with Spitz at center it is a distinct possibility that Wells could be traded. Clearly he would not be in their long range plans anymore, and he should have some decent trade value. The problem with trading Wells is that they might then have to keep Preston, and so far he reportedly has not looked very good. If Preston comes on the next 3 weeks, and Spitz/Sitton is the combination they decide to go with, I think Wells will be gone.

Somebody who needs ST help and a backup linebacker might be willing to give something for Poppinga. The Packers of a few years ago would have been willing to. There should be others in that situation now.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
The problem with trading Wells is that they might then have to keep Preston, and so far he reportedly has not looked very good. If Preston comes on the next 3 weeks, and Spitz/Sitton is the combination they decide to go with, I think Wells will be gone.

I got the impression that the rookie FA from Idaho State had moved well ahead of Preston.

Patler
08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
RT is the one I'm paying attention to just because I think one of them emerging is a must for a productive season.

sounds similar to what we have at many positions where we have two guys with opposite skills. From what I have read Barbre has been run blocking very well, but less than adequate at pass pro, while Lang has been just the opposite.

In the end I think MM has been wanting a smash mouth run game for so long that he goes with Babre, but that is just my hunch....any way I find it the best battle in camp.

It's kind of fun to theorize how the line might shape up in 2 or 3 years. Does Meredith replace Clifton? Does Colledge move out there? If Meredith takes it, is Colledge allowed to walk for a big money contract elsewhwere, opening a place for TJ Lang to start? If Colledge is allowed to walk, how do Lang, Sitton, Barbre and Giacomini filll in the 2 guard and RT positions? Could one of them eventually play LT?

That doesn't even account for a couple draft picks the next few years. There are more players that I think I want to find positions for than there are positions to put them in. That's a long way from what it was a few years ago when there weren't even enough guys that I wanted to keep.

pbmax
08-21-2009, 10:27 AM
The problem with trading Wells is that they might then have to keep Preston, and so far he reportedly has not looked very good. If Preston comes on the next 3 weeks, and Spitz/Sitton is the combination they decide to go with, I think Wells will be gone.

I got the impression that the rookie FA from Idaho State had moved well ahead of Preston.
That's what McGinn reported. Diedrich-Smith is thought to be able to do both center and guard. He got a lot of snaps at both in the first pre-season game.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 10:36 AM

That's what McGinn reported. Diedrich-Smith is thought to be able to do both center and guard. He got a lot of snaps at both in the first pre-season game.

That, and they can't hide him on the practice squad. He won't clear waivers. This is the guy that Wells needs to be looking over his shoulder at.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
FB -sort of interesting, but then again, they're fullbacks; how exciting can it be??

Call me crazy, but this one interests me more than any other position in camp. I believe Quinn could be the largest upgrade on O this year, and potentially makes the difference between a decent running game, and a great one. And if you add a great running game to this offense?

Patler
08-21-2009, 10:42 AM

I can't help but remember a comment I read when the Packers signed Preston. It was said to be from an unnamed scout who's team played Buffalo several times the last couple years. He said Preston can play center and both guard positions, but not very well. :lol: He said Preston is a guy who can get you through a game if your starter is injured, but you really don't want him starting the next week if your starter stays out. I thought that was kind of interesting. He seems to have value on the game day 45 as an emergency fill-in at several spots, but not much value otherwise.

I think Tony Moll is sort of the same, enough versatility to give you flxibility in who is active for games, since you hope he never plays anyway, but he's not the guy to starter in place of a starter..

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I can't help but remember a comment I read when the Packers signed Preston. It was said to be from an unnamed scout who's team played Buffalo several times the last couple years. He said Preston can play center and both guard positions, but not very well. :lol: He said Preston is a guy who can get you through a game if your starter is injured, but you really don't want him starting the next week if your starter stays out. I thought that was kind of interesting. He seems to have value on the game day 45 as an emergency fill-in at several spots, but not much value otherwise.

I think Tony Moll is sort of the same.

That sounds like the definition of a player not good enough to make this Packer roster.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM

Where's the love for Breno? :cry:

MichiganPackerFan
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Trades always scare me because it seems we always give up a player in an area of depth only to have cruel irony cause a rash of injuries at the same position.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Trades always scare me because it seems we always give up a player in an area of depth only to have cruel irony cause a rash of injuries at the same position.

This year were so deep that if we don't unload a couple via trade were going to lose them to cut downs. That is, unless we start stashing guys on IR.

Patler
08-21-2009, 11:45 AM

This year were so deep that if we don't unload a couple via trade were going to lose them to cut downs. That is, unless we start stashing guys on IR.

That seems to be true at linebacker this year. Guys good enough to be in the NFL, and too many to be kept on one roster. I hope they can trade a linebacker or two rather than just releasing them. Unfortunately, some of it comes from an abundance of averageness, rather than good players falling in behind standouts as starters. Even so, those who will not be kept seem to offer enough that trades might be possible. They're not going to bring anything great, but even a 7th round pick is better than nothing when the alternative is just releasing the player.

What would really be interesting is if the Packers decided to trade from the top of the group rather than the bottom of the group. Committing to Bishop/Chiller/Lansanah and trading a Hawk or Barnett, for example. I don't expect that to happen at cutdown, but it would sure add drama. Those things happen in off-season.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
What would really be interesting is if the Packers decided to trade from the top of the group rather than the bottom of the group.

I wouldn't be surprised at this. I'd only be mildly surprised at cuts from the top of the list. Players have to justify those big money contracts by being a lot better than the guys behind them.

Bossman641
08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
But, LINEBACKER! That's where it gets interesting. Kampman, Chillar, Hawk, Bishop, Barnett, Matthews, Thompson, Poppinga, Jones, Obiozor, Lansanah. At least one and probably two of the last four will be gone. Jones is said to be showing a real knack after finally getting on the field, and he seems to have the potential that you like to see in a low round draft choice. Poppinga is who he is, a valuable special-teams player and a very good team oriented guy. Obiozor is starting to get good press and apparently Kevin Greene has taken a liking to him and his potential. Lansanah had been sort of quiet through training camp but was credited for a lot of Bishop's blitzing success in the first game. This will be an interesting battle and may result in a surprise or two before the start of the regular season.

I think Poppinga has to stick around due to the Matthews and Thompson injuries. It would have been nice to let him go and see what some of the younger guys can do, but I just don't see it happening as he has been filling in for the #1 defense if I remember right.

Has Obiozor improved? It seemed for the first 1.5 week of TC Greene was laying into him all the time.

My predicition - Lansanah as the odd man out.

LP
08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe they can trade Lansanah to Miami since Parcells was so hot for him last year.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
That seems to be true at linebacker this year. Guys good enough to be in the NFL, and too many to be kept on one roster. I hope they can trade a linebacker or two rather than just releasing them. Unfortunately, some of it comes from an abundance of averageness, rather than good players falling in behind standouts as starters. Even so, those who will not be kept seem to offer enough that trades might be possible. They're not going to bring anything great, but even a 7th round pick is better than nothing when the alternative is just releasing the player.

What would really be interesting is if the Packers decided to trade from the top of the group rather than the bottom of the group. Committing to Bishop/Chiller/Lansanah and trading a Hawk or Barnett, for example. I don't expect that to happen at cutdown, but it would sure add drama. Those things happen in off-season.

Interesting thought. IMO, the ideal situation is to trade guys that other teams believe is "the top" when you know better. So, which LBers have perceived value higher than actualy value? Barnett...maybe, but ? due to his injury would severly limit his value. Hawk..maybe, but a common perception is that he is consistent, but not outstanding.

So, the next issue is how much difference/drop-off you see be letting one of those guys go weighed against how much difference you would receive in compensation.

Barnett vs. Chillar: Trade value of Chillar might be nearly as high as Barnett. Barnett has a proven history (++) and shows great range especially against the run (+), but he is coming off a significant injury (-). Chillar showed significant improvement at the end of last year and so far this year (+), has shown great coverage skills (+), but still needs to show he can be an every down guy (-). Depending on the team/scheme, Chillar could be highly valued or not wanted, Barnett probably has a wider appeal.

I like what Chillar has shown, but am still very leery of him being an every-down guy.

mraynrand
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Interesting post to be sure. Complicating it is the injury situation, where Matthews, Thompson, and Barnett may not play much at all in the preseason. So you may have to keep Thompson just because you have no clue if he fits in, but his measurables say he should thrive in your system, and you have no idea whether Matthews will give you any productivity and may not know if Barnett is sufficiently recovered and whether he understands the new system. That's up to three positions you have to 'cover for' in you final roster. Are you going to keep extras LBs just to cover for the three injured guys, and risk letting a good player getting away elsewhere???

Partial
08-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Patler, good thread. The most interesting thing to me about this team is all the competition and depth. Some good players that will land on NFL rosters are going to be let go. That's a good problem to have!

I think the fullback battle is going to have the biggest impact. I'm pulling for Quinn as I think he has the skill set that best fits where our team wants to go.

Patler
08-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting post to be sure. Complicating it is the injury situation, where Matthews, Thompson, and Barnett may not play much at all in the preseason. So you may have to keep Thompson just because you have no clue if he fits in, but his measurables say he should thrive in your system, and you have no idea whether Matthews will give you any productivity and may not know if Barnett is sufficiently recovered and whether he understands the new system. That's up to three positions you have to 'cover for' in you final roster. Are you going to keep extras LBs just to cover for the three injured guys, and risk letting a good player getting away elsewhere???

It's things like that which could cause them to go with just 2 TEs and 5 WRs to start the season, or just 2 QBs. Some may depend on who they think they can get through to the practice squad. If they think Obiozor or Jones won't be claimed on waivers, etc. Sometimes it works as planned, sometimes not.

Patler
08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Patler, good thread. The most interesting thing to me about this team is all the competition and depth. Some good players that will land on NFL rosters are going to be let go. That's a good problem to have!

I think the fullback battle is going to have the biggest impact. I'm pulling for Quinn as I think he has the skill set that best fits where our team wants to go.

Quinn got some pretty good press after the first game. Not so much in early TC when several said he looked confused, but that's what TC is for.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 01:35 PM
It's things like that which could cause them to go with just 2 TEs and 5 WRs to start the season, or just 2 QBs. Some may depend on who they think they can get through to the practice squad. If they think Obiozor or Jones won't be claimed on waivers, etc. Sometimes it works as planned, sometimes not.

Yeah, although it might be 2.5 TEs with Havner. If he is servicable at all at both positions and also good on special teams, he becomes very attractive for all those reasons and more. I wonder if Hall could still play both ways too...;)

Patler
08-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Yeah, although it might be 2.5 TEs with Havner. If he is servicable at all at both positions and also good on special teams, he becomes very attractive for all those reasons and more. I wonder if Hall could still play both ways too...;)

The problem for Havner is that his second position is LB, hardly a spot where they need another backup. If he gets through to the final 53, it makes him very attractive for the game day 45, however, because of the versatility and STs. Same for Bush.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I wonder if Brohm's roster spot is secure. If he shows nothing in preseason, its hard to see a future value.

Damn, and Mike Vick was just sitting there for the taking. :lol: I really do wish the Packers would have signed him.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 02:07 PM
The problem for Havner is that his second position is LB, hardly a spot where they need another backup. If he gets through to the final 53, it makes him very attractive for the game day 45, however, because of the versatility and STs. Same for Bush.

I was thinking more along the lines that it might make them more willing to trade a LBer or two knowing they have additional depth w/o another roster spot taken.

Patler
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM

I was thinking more along the lines that it might make them more willing to trade a LBer or two knowing they have additional depth w/o another roster spot taken.

Hard to say what direction their thinking might go. If Barnett, Thompson and Mathews can't be full relied on, they might feel the need to keep more "real" linebackers instead of the 13thLB/4th best TE. I always find it interesting to see how they divide up the last 3 or 4 roster spots.

Patler
08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I wonder if Brohm's roster spot is secure. If he shows nothing in preseason, its hard to see a future value.

At the start of camp I figured it was pretty secure. Recently a few writers who have at least some access to the thinking of the club have implied that it may not be so secure. Could mean that the staff isn't seeing progress at all, and might feel they are wasting their time. If that is how they feel, he could be on his way out.

This "do I wear a glove" or "don't I wear a glove" thing from Brohm is kind of pathetic. I want a QB who isn't concerned with sweat, rain, mud, blood, cold, etc. One that just wants the ball in his hand. Brohm seems to be thinking too much instead of just playing. It kind of smacks of looking for a quick fix, an easy answer.

Lurker64
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

I think Quinn's roster spot is secure, and the real roster battle is about who is going to be the second FB: Hall or Kuhn. I'd give that one to Hall, since the things that Kuhn does better than Hall are pretty much the things that Quinn is best at. Keep Hall as he's an accomplished special teamer, is good in blitz pickup, and is our best receiving FB.

sharpe1027
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM

I think Quinn's roster spot is secure, and the real roster battle is about who is going to be the second FB: Hall or Kuhn. I'd give that one to Hall, since the things that Kuhn does better than Hall are pretty much the things that Quinn is best at. Keep Hall as he's an accomplished special teamer, is good in blitz pickup, and is our best receiving FB.

Unless they consider Kuhn a viable back-up at HB, I don't see him sticking. He is probably the best ball-carrier of the three, but we don't need that.

Bossman641
08-21-2009, 04:44 PM

At the start of camp I figured it was pretty secure. Recently a few writers who have at least some access to the thinking of the club have implied that it may not be so secure. Could mean that the staff isn't seeing progress at all, and might feel they are wasting their time. If that is how they feel, he could be on his way out.

This "do I wear a glove" or "don't I wear a glove" thing from Brohm is kind of pathetic. I want a QB who isn't concerned with sweat, rain, mud, blood, cold, etc. One that just wants the ball in his hand. Brohm seems to be thinking too much instead of just playing. It kind of smacks of looking for a quick fix, an easy answer.

I agree that the whole glove thing does seem pathetic, especially all the switching back and forth. However, didn't Ahman suffer from some pretty serious sweating issues and was switching elbow pads for a while. Regardless, Brohm needs to settle on one thing and go with it.

Patler
08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

I agree that the whole glove thing does seem pathetic, especially all the switching back and forth. However, didn't Ahman suffer from some pretty serious sweating issues and was switching elbow pads for a while. Regardless, Brohm needs to settle on one thing and go with it.

The only thing Green did was try to go with the thin, rubber-like forearm sleeves in some hot, humid weather. They said he sweat so much that the sleeves became slick, so he switched to the thick padded cloth ones.

Brohm seems to be having trouble making up his mind about the glove, much like he has trouble making decisions during a play.

pbmax
08-21-2009, 06:16 PM

I think Tony Moll is sort of the same, enough versatility to give you flxibility in who is active for games, since you hope he never plays anyway, but he's not the guy to starter in place of a starter..
Yes, the same report said that at his size he should be stouter, but gets overpowered. The only logic behind the move (assuming the Packers knew this going in and didn't think it was correctable) was to provide depth at center and guard.

If memory serves, the Packers had few players who could do both (Spitz is the only other one I can think of) and Wells would not make the greatest candidate for a backup as he has seldom seen time at guard since he was a rookie and he does not play special teams. Even if Preston cannot start like Wells, he provides depth at three spots.

So far though, it seems like Wells has played guard better than Preston has fared at center.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Wells would not make the greatest candidate for a backup as he has seldom seen time at guard since he was a rookie and he does not play special teams.

Ya, but since Spitz can swing between guard and center, it doesn't really matter if Wells only plays center. If any of the three interior guys go down, they are covered.

I don't know about the special teams part, but Wells' experience as a starter is very valuable, no way in hell would they cut him.

Fritz
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Of all the criticism TT has received, the one area that I think he most deserves it in and has not really gotten blasted for is the punter position.

Nothing they could do about the Josh Bidwell thing - he just wanted to go somewhere warm - but they let the next guy go - not that he's spectacular, but he's still in Seattle, I think. Was it Jon Ryan? I forget the name. Canadian guy. Then there was the debacle of Frost, and now we've got two very mediocre punters battling it out with no one on the horizon who seems much of an upgrade.

In my estimation, Thompson has botched this position pretty badly in his five years here.

Lurker64
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Unless they consider Kuhn a viable back-up at HB, I don't see him sticking. He is probably the best ball-carrier of the three, but we don't need that.

Yeah, the FB dive was a play they went to a lot in short yardage situations last year and it rarely actually worked to get the tough yard. Quinn's not a great ballcarrier, but he's a hard hitter (and has the potential to be the proverbial hammer of god with a little polishing). I like our odds better on 3rd and 1 with a back following Quinn or just Rodgers on the sneak behind Colledge.

bobblehead
08-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Where's the love for Breno? :cry:

I actually meant Breno, my bad. I constantly get them mixed up for some reason.

Partial
08-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Will Spencer Havner finally make a roster after seemingly 4-5 years in camp without doing anything?

Patler
08-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Of all the criticism TT has received, the one area that I think he most deserves it in and has not really gotten blasted for is the punter position.

Nothing they could do about the Josh Bidwell thing - he just wanted to go somewhere warm - but they let the next guy go - not that he's spectacular, but he's still in Seattle, I think. Was it Jon Ryan? I forget the name. Canadian guy. Then there was the debacle of Frost, and now we've got two very mediocre punters battling it out with no one on the horizon who seems much of an upgrade.

In my estimation, Thompson has botched this position pretty badly in his five years here.

Botched it? For not re-signing 40 year old Brian Barker who was the punter the year before TT came? For not keeping BJ Sander who he inherited from Sherman? Bidwell was gone for more than a year before TT arrived.

The only way he "botched" it is if you think it was a huge mistake letting Ryan go. Realistically he had a bad punting situation when he came, and he hasn't been able to fix it yet. But if there isn't a good one available, where do you get one?

The key thing is to keep a good one when you finally find one, so maybe his biggest mistake will turn out being letting Jon Ryan go. I'm not convinced just yet.

Rastak
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Botched it? For not re-signing 40 year old Brian Barker who was the punter the year before TT came? For not keeping BJ Sander who he inherited from Sherman? Bidwell was gone for more than a year before TT arrived.

The only way he "botched" it is if you think it was a huge mistake letting Ryan go. Realistically he had a bad punting situation when he came, and he hasn't been able to fix it yet. But if there isn't a good one available, where do you get one?

The key thing is to keep a good one when you finally find one, so maybe his biggest mistake will turn out being letting Jon Ryan go. I'm not convinced just yet.

I think the timing was rather suspect and perhaps that's why people make a bigger deal of it. Camp is over and suddenly the horse you're riding is cast aside and somebody brand new is brought in on the cusp of the new season. It makes further scrambles look perhaps worse than they are.

Patler
08-22-2009, 12:01 AM
I think the timing was rather suspect and perhaps that's why people make a bigger deal of it. Camp is over and suddenly the horse you're riding is cast aside and somebody brand new is brought in on the cusp of the new season. It makes further scrambles look perhaps worse than they are.

That may be true, but was that any worse than Seattle cutting Plackermeier 10 days later to sign Ryan? That is sort of the life of average punters. They are shown the door rather abruptly, and often in mid-season.

Patler
08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

JSO article on the Packers UDRFAs quotes an NFC scout who says that Dietrich-Smith won't clear waivers. Also says he is a center only.

Looks like the Packers won't be able to stash him on the practice squad. If the Packers hit the final cutdown with all of their Oline healthy, and if Spitz is the starter at center, Dietrich-Smith could be kept and Wells traded. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

The same article quotes the scout as saying that Obiozor will be kept, because he wouldn't clear waivers either. Said, "He can play."

denverYooper
08-22-2009, 12:06 PM
And Tory Humphrey's been cut:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/54015292.html

There's been just a lil blurb about it in 2 different articles now.

Fritz
08-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Aren't there a couple of equipment lackey interns duking it out over who stays and who gets shown the door? That could be a good battle.

Fosco33
08-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Fastforward a few weeks - who is the LB core this year?

-Barnett, Kampman, Hawk, Matthews, Bishop, Thompson, Poppinga and Chillar seem to be locks
-Havner (2way) and Lansanah (ST) are potentials
-Sulak, Jones and Obiozor seem like camp bodies, projects or STs at best

Let's say Bishop plays decent this year (especially if Barnett is limited to 2 downs). If Hawk has another down year, would people really care if we traded AJ for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/21/packers-look-for-right-linebackers/#cont

Partial
08-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Fastforward a few weeks - who is the LB core this year?

-Barnett, Kampman, Hawk, Matthews, Bishop, Thompson, Poppinga and Chillar seem to be locks
-Havner (2way) and Lansanah (ST) are potentials
-Sulak, Jones and Obiozor seem like camp bodies, projects or STs at best

Let's say Bishop plays decent this year (especially if Barnett is limited to 2 downs). If Hawk has another down year, would people really care if we traded AJ for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/21/packers-look-for-right-linebackers/#cont

You think they could get a #2 for Hawk? Bookmarked the article for later. Sounds interesting but no time :(