PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm

Fritz
08-22-2009, 09:05 AM
On another thread a few folks made some interesting comments about Brohm's status, but I thought those comments plus today's JSO/GBPB articles pushed this into the realm of its own thread.

In short, WTF? There seems to be a real rumbling in both papers that Brohm is in danger of losing his roster spot. The JSO was pretty harsh in its assessment, and the GBPG raised the notion of cutting Brohm as a possibility that is gathering momentum.

On the one hand, cutting a second round pick who plays a position that is notoriously difficult to pick up on at the professional level and who is only entering his second year seems quite premature. He's indecisive and doesn't seem to have much confidence, but he surely must have athletic ability if he was a second round pick.

On the other hand, what if the coaches have seen for themselves that it was flat-out a mistake? That does happen in the NFL (Ron Wolf seemed pretty good at spotting his mistakes and getting rid of them ASAP). Maybe the coaches have looked at each other and simply said, "hey, this guy is not and will not be an NFL QB."

And, just as a basis of comparison, I wonder how Chad Henne, whom the Packers apparently also seriously considered, is doing in the NFL.

What do you all think? Do you think the coaches have enough info or will soon have enough info to cut him? Or is that too risky when he can sit for one more season and try to learn some more and gain some confidence?

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
http://broadcatching.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/simpsons_torch_mob.jpg

Second round bums out of town!

Scott Campbell
08-22-2009, 10:21 AM
What do you all think? Do you think the coaches have enough info or will soon have enough info to cut him? Or is that too risky when he can sit for one more season and try to learn some more and gain some confidence?

If he's a lost cause, I expect them to cut bait and move on. Forget the draft pedigree. That doesn't help you get the job done on Sundays.

The staff works with him daily. We read tidbits, and watch him get a couple of preseason snaps. They're in a position to make a much more informed decision than we are. And McCarthy knows QB's. They'll get it right.

Patler
08-22-2009, 10:28 AM

If he's a lost cause, I expect them to cut bait and move on. Forget the draft pedigree. That doesn't help you get the job done on Sundays.

The staff works with him daily. We read tidbits, and watch him get a couple of preseason snaps. They're in a position to make a much more informed decision than we are. And McCarthy knows QB's. They'll get it right.

I agree. With the QB school, the extra meetings QBs have with the staff, the extra off-season work etc. they know more about the QBs than they do about any other players.

I'm sure they wouldn't be rash in their decision. If they decide to let him go this soon, it will be because they see no hope. Of course, they can be wrong.

wist43
08-22-2009, 10:41 AM
The guy certainly doesn't look like he can play at all... but then again, does anyone in here remember how pathetic Rodgers looked in first few years of carrying a clipboard.

Never in million years would have figured Rodgers would get it figured out... QB's are next to impossible to project - but Brohm certainly doesn't look like he can play.

MJZiggy
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Our opinion on that is one thing, but M3 ALWAYS said Rodgers had something. There was never any discussion except among frustrated fans on message boards. If the rumblings on Brohm are coming from the coaching staff, that makes it an entirely different situation than Rodgers.

Patler
08-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Rodgers began showing improvement in his second season. He was 22/38 for 323, 3TDs, 1 INT during the preseason of 2006. QB rating of 101.1.

Brohm looks no different than last year, so far; but lots of preseason yet to go.

rbaloha1
08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
It would be surprising if BB was cut. Lets be patient.

Fritz
08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I would be surprised, too, RB. But it would tell me that the coaches were absolutely convinced that Brohm was hopeless. Completely.

It'll be interesting.

bobblehead
08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I'll say one thing....when we bashed TT for taking ANOTHER QB in round 7, well, he is looking pretty smart for it now.

This is why you draft based on BPA and not need. If we had decided we didn't "need" another QB then BB would be our backup.

rbaloha1
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I'll say one thing....when we bashed TT for taking ANOTHER QB in round 7, well, he is looking pretty smart for it now.

This is why you draft based on BPA and not need. If we had decided we didn't "need" another QB then BB would be our backup.

Recall protege Ron Wolf did the same -- Hasselbeck, Barker, Mcdoo, Detmer, Brooks, Nall, etc.

wist43
08-22-2009, 05:19 PM
QB's are just a bitch to project... which is why I kind of gave him a pass on the Rodgers pick, even though I didn't like it at the time.

Brady was a 6th rounder... the list of 1st round, 1st pick QB's busting is long.

Favre was 2nd rounder, Brees a 2nd rounder (I think), Bart Starr (what? 17th round??)... you can make the same argument about other positions as well - but, QB's are a different animal in terms of evaluation... very tough to project them.

red
08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
brohm needs to improve so we can get a decent pick out of him

when we drafted him we still had a question mark at qb, but now we know what we have. we have a damn good franchise QB for the next decade (barring massive injury).

brohm became a future draft pick as soon as rodgers started to prove himself.

the better brohm plays, the better our future pick(s) will be. (see matt cassel, matt schaub, etc)

unless he continues to suck, then we'll get nothing

MJZiggy
08-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Actually more like Brohm became a draft pick when Flynn started to prove himself...

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2009, 06:41 PM
IF Brohm was on another team, what sort of draft pick would you think the PAckers should give up to acquire him?

Lurker64
08-22-2009, 06:47 PM
IF Brohm was on another team, what sort of draft pick would you think the PAckers should give up to acquire him?

Conditional ninth round pick.

retailguy
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Two bags of fritos, and some old socks.

pbmax
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM

Do you remember that same seventh round selection that Parcells and Wolf used to trade back and forth every year to conduct their own waiver wire? I would trade that pick. I think it was 1998.

It good to hear Brohm made some progress tonight. But if Flynn misses any significant time, I think he is headed to IR and a vet is coming in.

MJZiggy
08-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Do you remember that same seventh round selection that Parcells and Wolf used to trade back and forth every year to conduct their own waiver wire? I would trade that pick. I think it was 1998.

It good to hear Brohm made some progress tonight. But if Flynn misses any significant time, I think he is headed to IR and a vet is coming in.

M3 said it was muscular.

bobblehead
08-22-2009, 11:51 PM
QB's are just a bitch to project... which is why I kind of gave him a pass on the Rodgers pick, even though I didn't like it at the time.

Brady was a 6th rounder... the list of 1st round, 1st pick QB's busting is long.

Favre was 2nd rounder, Brees a 2nd rounder (I think), Bart Starr (what? 17th round??)... you can make the same argument about other positions as well - but, QB's are a different animal in terms of evaluation... very tough to project them.

Its true a lot bust, but the heavy percentage of exceptional QB's were picked top 10 or even top 3.

Both Mannings, Matt Ryan(gonna be great), Elway, Marino, dilfer (just kidding).

Basically make a list of the top 10 QBs in the league and they are all pretty high picks. Brady is a complete abheration, no QB has been that good picked outside of the top 2 rounds that I can recall. Good QB's come from all over the draft, but special ones are mostly picked really high. (sort of like left tackles.)

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2009, 11:58 PM
It good to hear Brohm made some progress tonight.

I'm not so sure. He looks pretty shaky, practice sqauad only material.

Brohm will probably be a guy who gets into NFL camps for several more years. Maybe he'll get his feet underneath him some day, maybe not. HE's got a strong arm.

Patler
08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Brady is a complete abheration, no QB has been that good picked outside of the top 2 rounds that I can recall.

Joe Montana - 3rd round. But you are right, in the current day NFL, the really special ones are usually taken early in the draft. It's more common to find first round QB flops than to find 2nd day stars at QB.

Brohm
08-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Hasselbeck was another 6th round gem :shock:

wist43
08-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Brohm will probably be a guy who gets into NFL camps for several more years. Maybe he'll get his feet underneath him some day, maybe not. HE's got a strong arm.

I agree, don't care what his stats were... he was very unaware in the pocket.

After his first read was taken away, he would essentially start looking for somewhere to hide, you could tell the game was too fast for him... and even on his first read he was delivering the ball in a panic sometimes.

If Flynn's injury is bad enough, GB will definitely have to bring in a 2nd string calibur vet to back Rodgers up... coz Brohm can't play at this point.

Scott Campbell
08-23-2009, 07:40 AM

I agree, don't care what his stats were... he was very unaware in the pocket.

After his first read was taken away, he would essentially start looking for somewhere to hide, you could tell the game was too fast for him... and even on his first read he was delivering the ball in a panic sometimes.

If Flynn's injury is bad enough, GB will definitely have to bring in a 2nd string calibur vet to back Rodgers up... coz Brohm can't play at this point.

Flynn said he was practicing tomorrow night, and wouldn't have had to come out of a regular season game.

Scott Campbell
08-23-2009, 07:41 AM
......no QB has been that good picked outside of the top 2 rounds that I can recall.

Kurt Warner.

wist43
08-23-2009, 07:54 AM

Its true a lot bust, but the heavy percentage of exceptional QB's were picked top 10 or even top 3.

Both Mannings, Matt Ryan(gonna be great), Elway, Marino, dilfer (just kidding).

Basically make a list of the top 10 QBs in the league and they are all pretty high picks. Brady is a complete abheration, no QB has been that good picked outside of the top 2 rounds that I can recall. Good QB's come from all over the draft, but special ones are mostly picked really high. (sort of like left tackles.)

I agree... the good ones come from very high in the draft - typically. And the bust rate is so high b/c teams are desperate to find "that guy", so they roll the dice a lot more on QB's early.

For the record, Marino was the 27th pick in 83... Elway (1st - HOF), Todd Blackledge (7th - bust), Jim Kelly (14th - HOF), Tony Eason (15th - bust), Ken O'Brien (24th - okay), Marino (27th - HOF).

Fosco33
08-23-2009, 11:46 AM
We should've retained the services of Hasselbeck and Brunell. That'd be the most consistent 3 QBs over a 10-15yr period. :P

Hasselbeck - 6th round
Brunell - 5th round

Both had some good (very good) years outside of GB.

Pugger
08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Brohm just yet. Some young QBs have problems adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Didn't Rodgers have problems in the beginning at times? If Brohm is still struggling next summer then we should cut our loses.

Deputy Nutz
08-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Brohm is very uncomfortable in the pocket. I know he played in a hybrid spread offense in college, shotgun snaps. His footwork looks awful, his drops look awful, and his composure in the pocket looks awful.

He will be a third stringer for this season and if he doesn't make any progress towards just developing positively, then I can see the Packers signing a veteran in 2010, or spending a draft pick on a QB they can work with.

CaptainD
08-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I was super excited when we drafted brohm, but he has failed to show any improvement. If anything, he gets worse.
He's got happy feet, but the most concerning part of his games have been his lack of accuracy. That was his strongest point, but he is struggling with it now.
I don't think we are in the position to waste a roster spot on dead weight. I expect great things from this team, as expect many others do as well. Better backup QB's are available, and I for one hope we pursue them.

Tarlam!
08-24-2009, 02:17 AM
There's been reports that he has no huddle presence and after just now watching his post game interview, he didn't come across as a future leader.

I seem to recall that being a knock after the first few practices last season; lacks confidence etc. etc.

I have no idea whether or not he has it in him. Successful QBs seem to have something in their eyes. Or what I've read called swagger.

Maybe the big show is too big? I don't know, but if he is asked to come in on game day, I hope our RB core is fresh.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 09:31 AM
......no QB has been that good picked outside of the top 2 rounds that I can recall.

Kurt Warner.

One of the most overrated qb's ever. Has had the benefit of being at the right place at the right time. Hell, even I could have thrown for 4000+ yards behind that STL offensive line, with those receivers and Faulk running the ball.

Throw in steve young and you've got the most overrated duo ever.

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Sounds like BB stunk it up in practice again today......does this guy make the team? Can he punt? :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like BB stunk it up in practice again today......does this guy make the team? Can he punt? :)

Where did you read that?

This is what I read about today:

tompelissero: Brohm was a combined 10 for 17 on the drives inc. 3 spikes. Good throws on both TDs. He's at his best in 2 minute. Less thought, just play.

tompelissero: I don't want to oversell a couple of 7 on 7 drills, which favor the offense. But Brohm seems cocksure these past 2 days. Best he's been here

tompelissero: Did throw an INT in scout work, but tough to knock a guy for that. Wasn't a bad throw either.

Yesterday's report:

Thumbs up

For all the flak Brian Brohm has taken this preseason — and in his 1½-year tenure with the Packers for that matter — it’s only fair to recognize what he did on Monday.

In a full-pads practice that at 2 hours, 31 minutes was one of the longest of the preseason, Brohm handled all the backup reps and all the scout-team snaps because Matt Flynn’s shoulder injury kept him out again. In that session, the final full-pads practice of training camp, Brohm was as sharp as he’s ever been. He threw the ball with a previously unseen zip and accuracy.

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Bedard on twitter...from what I saw earlier it was not going well.....at least two picks and Barnett planted him.

Time warp tweets maybe?

boiga
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Two TD's in 2:00 drills with two ints while running the scout team is a major improvement for Brohm. Scout team drills give the advantage to the defense, so interceptions aren't as embarrassing there. At least he's moving the ball now.

He's not a starter yet by any means, but improvement should be lauded.

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Two TD's in 2:00 drills with two ints while running the scout team is a major improvement for Brohm. Scout team drills give the advantage to the defense, so interceptions aren't as embarrassing there. At least he's moving the ball now.

He's not a starter yet by any means, but improvement should be lauded.

I'm a glass half full kind of person so I'll go with the positive vibes you guys are throwing out there. :)

All hail Brohm!

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
So is a 7 on 7 a scout team drill? Does it favor the O or the D?

boiga
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
My point was more that when running the scout team, they hold big cards up for the defense to tell them what the play will be. Rodgers was complaining about it in this funny rather interview:

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/2009_training_camp/video_20090831__33aa9804dc8a__cd1e0c7beb1d/

He says that the secondary were cheating by camping the upcoming route and that's why they picked him 6 times while he was working the scout team on monday.

The two minute drills are a fairer test for how well the O moves down the field. Brohm was inept at these all summer, but has finally been getting it done this week. We'll see if he holds up against the Titans.

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
This is a cool site.

http://www.johntreed.com/fbdictionary.html

cheesner
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Kurt Warner.

One of the most overrated qb's ever. Has had the benefit of being at the right place at the right time. Hell, even I could have thrown for 4000+ yards behind that STL offensive line, with those receivers and Faulk running the ball.

Throw in steve young and you've got the most overrated duo ever.

For 2 years Kurt Warner was one of the best QBs ever. Yes, he had a couple of great WRs in Holt and Bruce and an HOF running back, but he was delivering the ball 45 yards down the field to a barely open WR at full speed with pinpoint accuracy. I don't know if I have ever seen another QB do that as consistently as Warner was doing it. It was very difficult to defend.

If it wasn't for the thumb injury and he continued on, he would have had some amazing career numbers - considering he got a late start.

packrulz
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Kurt Warner.
Funny you should say that, since the Packers cut Warner. I think Brohm just needs to relax, he has no confidence, give him more time, he was good in college.