PDA

View Full Version : weak link = safety?

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Nick Collins has played fast. I don't like the looks of the rest of the crew. The free agent from Pittsburgh seems like a dumb player to me, although I admit I'm jumping to conclusions. Rouse still has something to prove, and his injury sounds serious.

Lurker64
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I wonder if anybody else in the NFL has a ton of depth at safety and would like to swap guys who wold be cut, not because they suck, but because they play a position of depth on the team in question.

rbaloha1
08-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Its a distinct possibility. Maybe Underwood and Porter can be competent backups.

pbmax
08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
With Peprah, Rouse and Collins hurt now, this looks more like a possibility if the first two miss any regular season time.

Tony Oday
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Move Woodson to Saftey?

Bossman641
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Move Woodson to Saftey?

HELL NO

The safeties do have me concerned though. Bigby hasn't seemed to flash much at all and Smith is what he is.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Move Woodson to Saftey?

Williams looks pretty damn good at corner.

I would hate to move Woodson out of the corner spot, but I think this is an option, you want your 4 best players on the field. But I suppose you need to include the nickle corner in that calculation too.

pbmax
08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I would rather lose a young player and have to sign a vet than move Woodson to safety again.

Woodson is a flat genius at CB. Williams is fine but nowhere near as good. At safety, Woodson is merely a good fit athletically and physically. Recall the Panthers game and Steve Bleepin' Smith.

Moving Woodson weakens two positions.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
At safety, Woodson is merely a good fit athletically and physically. Recall the Panthers game and Steve Bleepin' Smith.

Moving Woodson weakens two positions.

Jeez, you judging safety Woodson by one play?

Woodson is a stud at safety too.

I think you include the nickle corner, and try and play the 5 most talented DBs. Hopefully the #2 safety is in that group, but if not, I'm OK was sliding Woodson.

Fritz
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry, Harlan. PB is right.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Apology accepted.

pbmax
08-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Jeez, you judging safety Woodson by one play?.
Of course not. The Panthers made two catches down the middle they shouldn't have. :lol:

In nickel, the situation is different. You need five out there, so if Wood moves inside then, so be it.

But he started at safety last year and my point was rather than try that again, where we weakened two positions (out of the base D four) with that move, I would rather have a stopgap until the regulars get healthy. This may be moot since Collins is practicing tonight.

bobblehead
08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
It is shaping up as the weak point of the defense. Waldo says Chillar is a glorified SS so maybe we have our solution...J/K I know he can't actually play the position.

Since this D is complex I don't think we can just add a guy later, we are stuck with what we have at this point. Hopefully Bigby starts to show what we saw in '07 again, or at worst one of them plays adequately on an otherwise stellar squad.

Lurker64
08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
S is definitely a position to look at addressing in the draft next year, thankfully it's a very good class though we're unlikely to get one of the elite guys (Eric Berry or Taylor Mays) since we'll be picking at #32.....

Administrator
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
S is definitely a position to look at addressing in the draft next year, thankfully it's a very good class though we're unlikely to get one of the elite guys (Eric Berry or Taylor Mays) since we'll be picking at #32.....

:P :tup: