PDA

View Full Version : Time to release Brooks and bring in another?

Patler
08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
After announcing earlier in the week that Brooks would do most if not all of the punting against the Bills, game time came and he was inactive because of his hip flexor problem he has had in the past.

It bothered him in college.
It bothered him last year with the 'Skins.
It kept him out of some practices a week ago or so.
It caused him to be inactive for the game that was to be his big live tryout.

How could the Packers even think of going with a guy like that, who stands a good chance of becoming unavailable at any time? Let him go and bring in someone else, or commit to Kapinos until you see who is available after cutdowns. Brooks is a waste of time at this point.

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 08:15 AM
I though Brooks was only one of 4 that they brought in.

Scott Campbell
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
After announcing earlier in the week that Brooks would do most if not all of the punting against the Bills, game time came and he was inactive because of his hip flexor problem he has had in the past.

It bothered him in college.
It bothered him last year with the 'Skins.
It kept him out of some practices a week ago or so.
It caused him to be inactive for the game that was to be his big live tryout.

How could the Packers even think of going with a guy like that, who stands a good chance of becoming unavailable at any time? Let him go and bring in someone else, or commit to Kapinos until you see who is available after cutdowns. Brooks is a waste of time at this point.

I'm down with that. He was wildly inconsistent even when healthy.

Patler
08-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I though Brooks was only one of 4 that they brought in.

They signed Brooks to the practice squad the end of last season and kept him around for this off-season. They have brought in others for tryouts, but kept only (the name eludes me) for a short time before releasing him shortly before TC started.

KYPack
08-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I watched that game (parts thereof) on the Justin TV feed last night.

At some point, the announcers made a statement that the Pack had brought in 4 punter recently for tryouts. First I heard of it, but I believe it.

Yeah, I'd cut Brooks, he didn't work out. I'd look at the top other punters that are available bring one in and make a call.

We are pretty much a team that plays "kick to the cover" on punts. There is a guy out there that can do that. Find him and sign him, TT.

I think Kapinos is that guy, but who knows.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I've been thinking along those same lines. If a guy like Wynn is on the bubble as a third back because he can't stay on the field, what can one say about a punter - and there ain't no backup - who can't stay healthy.

It didn't work out. If the Pack wants to provide Kapinos with some competition, now's the time to do it. Ditch Brooks and bring in someone else for a week or so.

But it sure is looking like Kapinos. Did he do okay last night?

DonHutson
08-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Maybe the first cut down date will present some better options than what is currently available.

Patler
08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
At some point, the announcers made a statement that the Pack had brought in 4 punter recently for tryouts. First I heard of it, but I believe it.

KYP, it was on Wednesday before the Cleveland game. From the GBPG:

The Packers worked out four free-agent punters on Wednesday, according to sources, so if either Brooks or Kapinos flops against Cleveland, the team could move quickly to bring in a fresh leg.

The list at the tryout included Ken Parrish, a former NCAA Division II standout who was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday, and Tom Malone, who has spent parts of two seasons on the New England Patriots’ practice squad. Neither has punted in an NFL game. The names of the other two punters weren’t known, but there were strong indications the Packers remain focused on younger options over veteran retreads.

wist43
08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I haven't flipped hamburgers before... cept on my own stove :D

But I did punt in Junior High, and I have a bad hip... does that qualify me??? :?: :?: :?:

KYPack
08-23-2009, 11:02 AM

KYP, it was on Wednesday before the Cleveland game. From the GBPG:

The Packers worked out four free-agent punters on Wednesday, according to sources, so if either Brooks or Kapinos flops against Cleveland, the team could move quickly to bring in a fresh leg.

The list at the tryout included Ken Parrish, a former NCAA Division II standout who was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday, and Tom Malone, who has spent parts of two seasons on the New England Patriots’ practice squad. Neither has punted in an NFL game. The names of the other two punters weren’t known, but there were strong indications the Packers remain focused on younger options over veteran retreads.

OH OK.

Thanks, P. Missed that whole deal.

There should be a live punter in the final cut. Look at him and pick one, would probably be the best strategy.

We should look at retreads. A lot of good NFL punters have been cut elsewhere. That's how we got Hentrich way back when.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Punters are interesting animals. Lots of times they need seasoning, and lots of it, before they become accomplished NFL punters.

That's why the two names on the list above might be intriguing - one cut Saturday by the Eagles, the other having hung around for two seasons on the fringes with the Pats.

They've gone through a bit of seasoning, anyway.

But maybe it's time to think about Mitch Berger. He's still out there, right?

Fosco33
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Brooks displaces Frost at the Skins and gets cut. Frost signs with the Pack and gets cut. Brooks signed by the Pack and disappoints early...

Guess Ryan wasn't all that bad (or good) but could've had some consistency here.

What are the options? As I've heard, Frost is available :P

wist43
08-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Punters are interesting animals. Lots of times they need seasoning, and lots of it, before they become accomplished NFL punters.

That's why the two names on the list above might be intriguing - one cut Saturday by the Eagles, the other having hung around for two seasons on the fringes with the Pats.

Hey!!! Hello!!! Plenty of seasoning here :thank:

47 years old, need a hip replacement... willing to punt for minimum wage :alc:

Surely I must qualify for at least a tryout??? This is BS :bs2:

Bretsky
08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I've thought from early on this is another year where our scouts are watching about 3-5 situations very closely with other teams. I don't think either of these guys open the season as our punter.

It would not even surprise me if TT trades a guy he's going to cut for a punter he wants to take a look at

ThunderDan
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM

But I did punt in Junior High, and I have a bad hip... does that qualify me??? :?: :?: :?:

I was just think the same thing. I know I can kick a 35 net yard knuckler that no one would dare try to field.

ThunderDan
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM

An ex cousin-in-law kicked for the Browns in the 80s. Kinda wierd but a lot of fun on the golf course.

pbmax
08-23-2009, 02:03 PM

An ex cousin-in-law kicked for the Browns in the 80s. Kinda wierd but a lot of fun on the golf course.

Steve Cox?

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Use the grill, not the stove, my man!!

And considering the "quality" at the position, I certainly think you qualify.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Can Brian Brohm punt?

Patler
08-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Can Brian Brohm punt?

It would probably take him too long to decide what to do after he caught the snap! :twisted:

ThunderDan
08-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Steve Cox?

No, George Winslow. Had to look up an obit to get last name.