PDA

View Full Version : Favre Theory

Chevelle2
08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I know this has been rehashed to death, but my friend and I were discussing it today and we came up with an interesting theory. Favre wanted to play for MN all along, even prior to his 07 retirement.

Here me out.

1. Favre gets mad at the organization for expecting him to practice and act like a member of the team

2. Favre talks to his friends in Minnesota (Bevell and Childress)

3. Favre realizes that if he retires, the Packers will likely release him (ie Reggie White) and he can come back and play for the Vikings ...making it all look like an unplanned series of events

4. Favre retires and then goes on Letterman and is quoted as saying "something is bound to happen when training camp begins" ..many of use were suspicious when we heard this ..no idea he would turn into a traitor though

5. Campen, from the Packers, visits Favre at his home and realizes that he wants to play and is talking to the Vikings, he mentions it to Thompson

6. Thompson contacts Favre and says he hears he wants to come back and is all for it.

7. Favre balks at the idea, but he thought TT would say "no", and release him. This is often times referred to as the first time Favre "changed his mind" after retiring. Thompson didn't blab about this but it is where the tampering charges that he filed stemmed from.

7. Favre later decides that he wants to contact Thompson about the whole thing, Thompson is on vacation and sets up a conference call for when he returns. At this conference call, Bus Cook and Favre play the "Packers want to go with Rodgers" card and ask for their release but Thompson is already well aware that Favre wants to go to the Vikings based on conversations that he has had with Campen and probably other people. Thompson basically tells him that he is not going to get his release.

8. Favre waits until training camp begins and attempts to force Ted's hand saying "trade me or release me" ..funny though because since he didn't file reinstatement papers, the only thing TT can do is release him at this point

9. Ted decides to play hardball now ..he files the tampering charges and basically says, "you are not getting released, we will look to trade you if thats what you want"

10. At this point, Favre begins playing the "I want to be the QB for the Packers" card knowing they are now set on Rodgers and have drafted 2 QBs and the relationship is now broken beyond repair, he thinks this will save him from looking like a jerk to Packer Nation and he will still ultimately get what he wants. Things get ugly though and Favre decides to take the "no holds barred" approach realizing that his plan has already greatly backfired ..going on the record with Greta and what not.

11. Goodell steps in, makes Favre file his reinstatement papers and tells the Packers they need to look into trading him

12. Favre is traded to the NYJ and Ted makes sure he puts a poison pill into the deal so that Favre cannot be traded to the NFC North

13. Favre gets his release from NYJ, and joins MIN. Like he wanted all along.

So really, might Favre's first retirement have been faked also? Im not sure he wanted to play for us at all. This is the ONLY explanation for why he balked when TT said "ok."

And before someone says "go to hell for bringing this back up" to you I say, "Dont read it and/or dont reply." I wanted to post it so I could here what other people thought.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
It's possible. There are some posters on this forum who believe that Favre was angling to get out of GB long before the end of 07, though I don't know if anyone has yet suggested that Favre wanted specifically to go to Minny from the get-go.

Bretsky
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Lec3m1pLY

Scott Campbell
08-23-2009, 12:05 PM

That video would rock if it had lesbians.

Pugger
08-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I think your timeline is RIGHT ON. I always wondered why Favre would want to "retire" from a team that was only an OT away from the Super Bowl. I think BF has wanted out of GB ever since Sherman was fired, frankly.

Now BF is where he has wanted to go all along. I'm sure every DB on the queens' opponents' list is licking their chops so they can pad their INT stats. When I first heard he signed with those bozos I was not a happy lady. But now that I've had a couple of days to digest it all, MN can have the old man.

Pugger
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
:oops:

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Timing is everything...

Chevelle2
08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I think your timeline is RIGHT ON. I always wondered why Favre would want to "retire" from a team that was only an OT away from the Super Bowl. I think BF has wanted out of GB ever since Sherman was fired, frankly.

Now BF is where he has wanted to go all along. I'm sure every DB on the queens' opponents' list is licking their chops so they can pad their INT stats. When I first heard he signed with those bozos I was not a happy lady. But now that I've had a couple of days to digest it all, MN can have the old man.

Thank you for the serious reply.

Fosco33
08-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Having grew up in the 80s being too young to listen to that music, my memory is of GTA Vice City. That game kicked ass. 8-)

Scott Campbell
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM

I mostly agree with what you said, but just can't bring myself to reply in depth to yet another Favre thread. I think we need to start a "Days Without A New Favre Thread" counter, kind of like Florio's "Days Without An Arrest" counter.

Freak Out
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM

One of them has to be.....just dream B.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Is it just me or is the guy in that video lookin' like Beavis...or Butthead?

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM
It's possible. There are some posters on this forum who believe that Favre was angling to get out of GB long before the end of 07, though I don't know if anyone has yet suggested that Favre wanted specifically to go to Minny from the get-go.

Didn't Patler intimate this some time back? Maybe he didn't mention the Vikes specifically. There are those who thought Favre would try to follow Sherman when he was let go. Maybe it wasn't Sherman he was trying to keep.

SMACKTALKIE
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I think TT not getting Randy Moss had something to do with Favre starting this pissing match.

Either that specifically or TT not going after more "big name" free agents.

Lurker64
08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I also think, that before the first retirement, Favre was unhappy that the Packers wouldn't make the decision for him, as he was frustrated by "take you're time, we're okay whatever you do" and the failure for Thompson to grab Moss while he was briefly a free agent left him to retire in a fit of pique (recall that Favre's initial retirement was the day after Moss resigned with the Pats.)

Cheesehead Craig
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I remember when the WWF had that synthesizer this as their theme for their Saturday Night's Main Event.

Jimx29
08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Now that the "shock" and "disappointment" or "exuberance" has passed (whichever flavor you prefer), I thought I'd weigh in a little bit about how we're going to conduct Brett talk for a while.

I certainly don't want to say we can't talk about him, he's too much a part of Packer history for that. But, having the whole Packer board with various Favre threads isn't productive either. There has to be a happy medium that we can all follow.

So, here goes my first shot at it.

You can talk about Favre all you want, but, don't start a new thread for each and every revelation that you have. I understand you think your new thought is unique, however, it probably isn't. Find the most appropriate thread and put your comment there.

Rastak
08-23-2009, 03:39 PM

You seem rather fixated on this fellow.....you and Ross Tucker....

bobblehead
08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
IQ tests often use "what comes next" in them:

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Mike Sherman gets fired (as soon as he is no longer GM)
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

Anyone here smart enough to fill in the childress....er, I mean blank?

Rastak
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

You missed Holmgren quits.....

mngolf19
08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

If he doesn't make playoffs this year, it could easily be MM as well. Since both can't win the division, I think there is a 75% chance one of them is gone after this season. I think Chilly has to get to the NFCC to save his but what does MM need to do? Or does he get 1 more year?

DannoMac21
08-23-2009, 04:34 PM
You and your friend must've had some dank ass weed. I'm jealous.

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

If he doesn't make playoffs this year, it could easily be MM as well. Since both can't win the division, I think there is a 75% chance one of them is gone after this season. I think Chilly has to get to the NFCC to save his but what does MM need to do? Or does he get 1 more year?

Dude's recently BEEN to the NFCC...

Partial
08-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

MM has at least one more year because of the coordinator change. The way the D is playing and with the improved quarterback play and healthy RB, unless they get hit with the injury bug I would think they'll be just fine.

mngolf19
08-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Ray Rhodes gets fired
Eric Mangini gets fired
____________ gets fired

Zig, does that mean your fine with MM? Chilly may be a doofus but he is showing improved records each year and if he makes it to the NFCC, he will likely have a better career record than MM. I would put him on a hot seat then.

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I would take MM over Chilly in a heartbeat--if that long.

Bretsky
08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Overall I like Mike McCarthy

His huge downfall was the hiring of some very poor assistants; perhaps a rookie mistake and perhaps he was more concerned with surrounding himself with people he was comfortable with and/or he had relationships in the past.

Anyways, that muck seems to be gone now and I think we have a wonderful rest of the staff.

I'm still in the middle on Chilly; being an ex Badger fan who saw him do well for the Badgers I'm bias'd toward giving him the benefit of the doubt.

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I've heard rumor that he had to do that as it was harder to lure the experienced coaches away from their situations into a team with a brand new coach. After they'd had a chance to see his work, they became a lot easier to find.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Overall I like Mike McCarthy

His huge downfall was the hiring of some very poor assistants; perhaps a rookie mistake and perhaps he was more concerned with surrounding himself with people he was comfortable with and/or he had relationships in the past.

Anyways, that muck seems to be gone now and I think we have a wonderful rest of the staff.

I'm still in the middle on Chilly; being an ex Badger fan who saw him do well for the Badgers I'm bias'd toward giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm with bretsky.

MJZiggy
08-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Timing is everything...

You've missed the humor. :cry:

Could be applied to ice cream and cupcakes as well...

Fred's Slacks
08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I've heard rumor that he had to do that as it was harder to lure the experienced coaches away from their situations into a team with a brand new coach. After they'd had a chance to see his work, they became a lot easier to find.

I posted on this a while back, bringing it up as a possiblity but no one commented or confirmed.

I was thinking that when MM started he was making around 1 - 1.5 M per season. Capers is making over $2M per as the DC (I could be wrong on these numbers but thats what I remember seeing). Is there any situation out there were a coordinator makes more then the head coach? I was thinking that the extension that MM signed opened the door for him to sign the upper echelon coordinators, since it was no longer an issue to pay the going rate.

Can anyone confirm or refute that theory? I'd like to know cause it seems to make sense to me.

Administrator
08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Now that the "shock" and "disappointment" or "exuberance" has passed (whichever flavor you prefer), I thought I'd weigh in a little bit about how we're going to conduct Brett talk for a while.

I certainly don't want to say we can't talk about him, he's too much a part of Packer history for that. But, having the whole Packer board with various Favre threads isn't productive either. There has to be a happy medium that we can all follow.

You can talk about Favre all you want, but, don't start a new thread for each and every revelation that you have. I understand you think your new thought is unique, however, it probably isn't. Find the most appropriate thread and put your comment there.

Well said, Numb. Thank you.

sheepshead
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Favre's an emotional roller coaster. He had enough in '07 in Soldier Field and again in Lambeau against the Giants. Well, as Favre does he got the itch. As he stated. While I am sure he fantasized about any number of teams including the Vikings(he grew up a Cowboys fan too) I dont subscribe to a Brett Favre conspiracy theory. Our pal Brett doesnt have the attention span for such a plan.

pbmax
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
After securing a legal briefing on the new policy and tasking Gallup with determining people's feeling on this matter, I have determined that this post belongs here.

Florio at PFT has Chilly putting Favre on a pitch count for his practices. This would simply be deja vu all over again except Chilly took a mild shot at Mangini's handling of Favre last year, when by the count of Favre-Chilly (Favilly? Chavre?) he had to throw 200 passes on his first day as a Jet.

I don't remember if McCarthy had the same limit on Brett during camp, but I'd be curious if anyone has a link or memory of it.

I was starting to think that part of Favre's game of brinksmanship the last couple of years have been at least in part driven by an instinct of self-preservation over the shoulder injury. But then I remembered the pitch came into existence in Packerland the year Brett had elbow tendonitis in camp. If I recall, he mentioned not throwing at all in the offseason that year.

It raised the legitimate question, how much must someone prepare top last 16 games at peak efficiency? Could a starting left tackle continue to miss camp and play effectively for 16 games? Can a QB do the same given the stress put on their arm?

gex
08-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Well said, Numb. Thank you.

2nd 8-)

Waldo
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
"Brett, when we did an MRI on your arm to look at that nerve you hurt, we discovered that you have a partially torn rotator cuff, you are going to have to get that looked at early in the offseason if you intend to play with us next year."

"Brett's rotator cuff isn't bad, however it has been a long season and it might affect his throwing. Aaron has looked really good and played great last Sunday. The last thing we want right now is for the players to get comfortable with Aaron during games. When the struggles that Brett is most likely going to have occur, we don't want to be faced with a situation where the players ask for a QB change. We don't want a situation where the players faith in the coaching staff can be questioned. And we don't want to bench Brett Favre in his last game as a Packer."

"Tell them he hurt his ankle, we'll sign a street guy to fill in during garbage time until the playoffs. Brett only gets pulled in the playoffs if he is hurt."

gex
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Chevelle has proven to be nothing more than an anti Favre troll.
Garbage in garbage out :oops:

Chevelle2
08-24-2009, 12:03 AM
"Brett, when we did an MRI on your arm to look at that nerve you hurt, we discovered that you have a partially torn rotator cuff, you are going to have to get that looked at early in the offseason if you intend to play with us next year."

"Brett's rotator cuff isn't bad, however it has been a long season and it might affect his throwing. Aaron has looked really good and played great last Sunday. The last thing we want right now is for the players to get comfortable with Aaron during games. When the struggles that Brett is most likely going to have occur, we don't want to be faced with a situation where the players ask for a QB change. We don't want a situation where the players faith in the coaching staff can be questioned. And we don't want to bench Brett Favre in his last game as a Packer."

"Tell them he hurt his ankle, we'll sign a street guy to fill in during garbage time until the playoffs. Brett only gets pulled in the playoffs if he is hurt."

So you think Rodgers ankle injury was made up? Thats fine, but how does that relate to favre's shoulder, im confused.

Chevelle2
08-24-2009, 12:05 AM

If you don't like it, don't read it. I haven't called you any names or done any personal attacks to you, why do you do the same to me?

gex
08-24-2009, 12:15 AM

If you don't like it, don't read it. I haven't called you any names or done any personal attacks to you, why do you do the same to me?

Only because you appear to thrive on tearing down a former Packer great.
Time after time, thread after thread, post after post :cry:
Why not reiterate about how Lofton was a ...., or how bad Chumura was to...., or how much of a Packer person Javon Walker or Kieth Mckenzie were?! Your not doing any good or justice to our pride and tradition with the negativety 8-)

Lurker64
08-24-2009, 12:18 AM

You know what bothers me more than posters tearing down packers former or otherwise, great or otherwise? Posters tearing down each other with unnecesary personal attacks.

While it's actually true that you catch more flies with vinegar than with honey (try it!), can we lay off the "you're a troll" stuff? There's plenty of internet to read that's not anti-Favre stuff on this board.

Waldo
08-24-2009, 01:20 AM

So you think Rodgers ankle injury was made up? Thats fine, but how does that relate to favre's shoulder, im confused.

They really don't aside from the timing, coming after the same game. Since it happened I've thought that AR's injury was phony.

I'd heard enough rumors of the shoulder injury, and that the Packers knew about it, last offseason shortly after the season (before Brett "retired"). Bedard first mentioned the rotator cuff this spring, and he was the only one saying it. Interesting that he has Packers contacts and not Jets contacts. The bicep thing may have happened last year with the Jets, but the rotator cuff predates that, and there is a darn good chance that the Packers knew about it. While players get a physical after the season, I think that the most likely time of discovery was when his arm got an MRI after the Cowboys game.

pbmax
08-24-2009, 08:10 AM

They really don't aside from the timing, coming after the same game. Since it happened I've thought that AR's injury was phony.

I'd heard enough rumors of the shoulder injury, and that the Packers knew about it, last offseason shortly after the season (before Brett "retired"). Bedard first mentioned the rotator cuff this spring, and he was the only one saying it. Interesting that he has Packers contacts and not Jets contacts. The bicep thing may have happened last year with the Jets, but the rotator cuff predates that, and there is a darn good chance that the Packers knew about it. While players get a physical after the season, I think that the most likely time of discovery was when his arm got an MRI after the Cowboys game.
Favre has mentioned several times that he had some pre-existing shoulder trouble, trouble separate from the bicep tendon. The last instance was during the retirement phone conference the Jets setup, but the first I remember was during Jets training camp. From his comments, it was clear he thought he could play through the first injury, but the tendon was causing more trouble.

hoosier
08-24-2009, 08:15 AM

You know what bothers me more than posters tearing down packers former or otherwise, great or otherwise? Posters tearing down each other with unnecesary personal attacks.

While it's actually true that you catch more flies with vinegar than with honey (try it!), can we lay off the "you're a troll" stuff? There's plenty of internet to read that's not anti-Favre stuff on this board.

If you mean fruit flies I'm with you--given a choice between fresh fruit and my glass of wine or beer they always go for the fermented stuff--but house flies too?? :shock:

Scott Campbell
08-24-2009, 08:23 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Scott Campbell
08-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Favre's an emotional roller coaster. He had enough in '07 in Soldier Field and again in Lambeau against the Giants. Well, as Favre does he got the itch. As he stated. While I am sure he fantasized about any number of teams including the Vikings(he grew up a Cowboys fan too) I dont subscribe to a Brett Favre conspiracy theory. Our pal Brett doesnt have the attention span for such a plan.

I thought he grew up..........scratch that...........was a Saints fan as a boy.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
And before someone says "go to hell for bringing this back up" to you I say, "Dont read it and/or dont reply." I wanted to post it so I could here what other people thought.

Those warnings should be at the top rather than at the end when the post has already been read. :D

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2009, 01:52 AM
I think TT not getting Randy Moss

the ONLY clear mistake TT has made imo

Gunakor
08-25-2009, 02:45 AM

You don't like the WR corps TT has assembled here? There's only so many footballs to go around. How do you keep Driver, Jennings and Moss all happy at the same time? Would Jennings ever have blossomed into the pro bowl WR he's become if stashed behind both Driver and Moss?

I don't think TT made a mistake with Moss. I think he chose to do something else that has worked out just as well. I really, REALLY like the guys we have. No harm, no foul.

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2009, 08:26 AM

You don't like the WR corps TT has assembled here? There's only so many footballs to go around. How do you keep Driver, Jennings and Moss all happy at the same time? Would Jennings ever have blossomed into the pro bowl WR he's become if stashed behind both Driver and Moss?

I don't think TT made a mistake with Moss. I think he chose to do something else that has worked out just as well. I really, REALLY like the guys we have. No harm, no foul.

HARD to argue with our WRs...i LOVE them too, skills and personalities...could be best in NFL..just that acquiring a moss-type WR is hard to argue against..esp since he reportedly wanted to be here and of course favre coveted him...moss woulda been just a smotivated here as he was with pats! whew...i would hate to slight DD or GJ but that wouldve been the best trpletts ever imo (over moss, carter, randall) and GJ could have benefitted by playn with another HOFer..

agreed tho, that no harm no foul at this point...i guess i was just noting that the moss thing is my only beef with tt...ive even goten over favre mess; forgive him lord for he knows not what he's done (robbed us of SB ring 09) :)