PDA

View Full Version : tyrell sutton

red
08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
i think we have something special in this kid. i'd really like to see him get some reps with the first team in the next 2 games.

i think him and grant would make a nice two headed monster, like the jags had with fred taylor and mjd

he reminds me a bit of another small guy that use to play in the nfc north

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlfSbIwM_iI

gbpackfan
08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Sutton has earned a spot on this team.

Lumpkin has been nohting special this year.

And for all the talk about Wynn, what has he done?

I would also like to see an extended look at Brandon Jackson.

If we keep only three RBs, they should be Grant, Jackson and Sutton. And is just me or does Grant look even FASTER this year. Wow, he's got that second gear that I don't remember seeing last yer.

red
08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
well don't forget, grant was hurt almost all of last year

Fritz
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
It's an interesting battle. Grant is of course #1. Jackson has shown enough to warrant careful consideration - he wouldn't be easy to cut. I think he's got a spot.

So that leaves Lumpkin, Wynn, and Sutton.

For Wynn, this is it. He needs to get on the field - and stay there. He looks good but he was hurt again for about a week.

Lumpkin has played like his name sounds, I think. So he needs to step up.

And Sutton needs to show he's reliable.

rbaloha1
08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
IMO Sutton is the #3.

swede
08-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Every year there seems to be a fan fave running back that captures the imagination by running like a demon in the fourth quarter of pre-season games. Lumpkin was the guy last year, wasn't he? I'm afraid the "Turk" will break my heart with this kid.

There were a few plays by Sutton in the Bills game that bothered me, though. The one I remember most clearly was a running play to the right. A Bills defender pushed a lineman into Sutton's hip and he hit the ground like he was shot. Had he been a little more squared up to the LOS he might have seen a pretty big cutback to his left and he certainly would not have gone down as easily. I only crab about this because I want him to make a good case for staying as the third RB.

I do like the way the kid runs hard and slips into tiny cracks for extra yardage when running inside, an ability brought about by being 5' 7" and running with heads up and pads low.

Administrator
08-23-2009, 08:32 PM
IMO Sutton is the #3.

he has looked good to this point, however, he has yet to play with the 1st or 2nd team. We really have to see that before we can say he's the #3.

Way too soon right now, (reminds me of Lumpkin last year), but promising, that's for sure!

KYPack
08-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Every year there seems to be a fan fave running back that captures the imagination by running like a demon in the fourth quarter of pre-season games. Lumpkin was the guy last year, wasn't he? I'm afraid the "Turk" will break my heart with this kid.

There were a few plays by Sutton in the Bills game that bothered me, though. The one I remember most clearly was a running play to the right. A Bills defender pushed a lineman into Sutton's hip and he hit the ground like he was shot. Had he been a little more squared up to the LOS he might have seen a pretty big cutback to his left and he certainly would not have gone down as easily. I only crab about this because I want him to make a good case for staying as the third RB.

I do like the way the kid runs hard and slips into tiny cracks for extra yardage when running inside, an ability brought about by being 5' 7" and running with heads up and pads low.

Good post, Swede.

That play stuck out for me, too.

Sutton's got real speed and a lot of shake. He is a good KR, to boot.

But I need to see him pass block and pick up the blitz before we engrave his plaque in the Packer HOF.

Those guys in the final 3 are very close, it will be a real dogfight.

Sparkey
08-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Good post, Swede.

But I need to see him pass block and pick up the blitz before we engrave his plaque in the Packer HOF.

As much as I like to watch Sutton running, he is not very good at blocking blitzers. From what I have read, the best backs at blocking blitzing lb's in the backfield are jackson and Wynn. If Wynn stays healthy the next two weeks, he is the last back on the roster.

Sutton wont make it through waivers, but if somehow he would, he would no doubt be a great PS guy.

pittstang5
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Sutton wont make it through waivers, but if somehow he would, he would no doubt be a great PS guy.

This brings up a question I have:

Can Sutton chose to sign on the PS OR if Sutton is released at final cut down, can any team sign him and Sutton HAS to go to that team.

Patler
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
As much as I like to watch Sutton running, he is not very good at blocking blitzers. From what I have read, the best backs at blocking blitzing lb's in the backfield are jackson and Wynn. If Wynn stays healthy the next two weeks, he is the last back on the roster.

You know its a problem when MM and Bennett make comments about how hard he tries when they are asked about his blocking. :lol:

I think Sutton could make them toy with the idea of keeping 4RBs. Wynn and Lumpkin's injury problems have been discussed, but Jackson has had issues, too, and he doesn't play all that much. Every year they seem to be a bit heavy in numbers at one position to start the season. Two years ago it was DL. Last year I think it was DBs. This year I kind of think it will be LBs, but it could be RBs instead.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Can Sutton chose to sign on the PS OR if Sutton is released at final cut down, can any team sign him and Sutton HAS to go to that team.

He doesn't have to go - the Packers have paid more in the past to keep someone on the PS (Wells?), but the thing is that if you get signed off the PS, you have to be added to the 53 man roster of the team that signs you. You may remain inactive all year, but it's still a significant step up.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Lumpy is nothing special. All he does is run between the tackles, and has a pretty good hammer. The Packers could say goodbye with no second thoughts. Jackson is a lock, due to his ability to catch the ball as well as maneuverability. Question is - WTF is up with Wynn? If Wynn is unreliable, the have to keep Lumpy or TS. TS is not refined enough yet to play in all the packages they need him in. Wynn is the key. Are the coaches going to keep this guy?

Patler
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM

He doesn't have to go - the Packers have paid more in the past to keep someone on the PS (Wells?), but the thing is that if you get signed off the PS, you have to be added to the 53 man roster of the team that signs you. You may remain inactive all year, but it's still a significant step up.

I think you are confusing the timing.
At cutdown, he would go on waivers. If a team puts in a waiver claim, his contract would be awarded to the team and Sutton would have no choice in the matter. If he clears waivers he can pick and chose among practice squad offers and offers for other teams regular rosters. The key to his freedom to pick and chose is that he first has to clear waivers without another team submitting a waiver claim.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM

I think you are confusing the timing.
At cutdown, he would go on waivers. If a team puts in a waiver claim, his contract would be awarded to the team and Sutton would have no choice in the matter. If he clears waivers he can pick and chose among practice squad offers and offers for other teams regular rosters. The key to his freedom to pick and chose is that he first has to clear waivers without another team submitting a waiver claim.

I was mostly describing what would happen if he were already signed to the PS. I figured that was pretty much common knowledge that you don't make it to the PS if another team wants you. That's why there were so many scouts at the last Preseason game. A lot of Packer cuts are going to get snatched up by other teams...

Lurker64
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I wonder if Sutton has an edge at making the roster since he's really the only back we have that's substantively different than the guys we have. Grant, Jackson, Wynn, and Lumpkin are all kind of the same type of runner with a few minor differences here and there, but we didn't have anybody in the true scatback/3rd down back mold, and we probably could have used one (anybody else wish we drafted Steve Slaton instead of Brian Brohm?).

sharpe1027
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I wonder if Sutton has an edge at making the roster since he's really the only back we have that's substantively different than the guys we have. Grant, Jackson, Wynn, and Lumpkin are all kind of the same type of runner with a few minor differences here and there, but we didn't have anybody in the true scatback/3rd down back mold, and we probably could have used one (anybody else wish we drafted Steve Slaton instead of Brian Brohm?).

Yeah, but Sutton's weakest point is probably picking up the blitz. That is not a good thing for a 3rd down back.

Guiness
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM

2nd down scatback maybe, 3rd down back, almost not at all.

3rd down backs need to be able to take on blitzers in the backfield so your QB has time to complete a 15yd pass on 3rd and long, and catch a 5 swing pass (and hurdle a defender? Hendo?) for 3rd and a few.

Haven't heard much about his hands, but he doesn't seem to meet the first criteria.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I was mostly describing what would happen if he were already signed to the PS. I figured that was pretty much common knowledge that you don't make it to the PS if another team wants you.

Yeah, and you don't stay on the practice squad if another team wants you.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I was mostly describing what would happen if he were already signed to the PS. I figured that was pretty much common knowledge that you don't make it to the PS if another team wants you.

Yeah, and you don't stay on the practice squad if another team wants you.

That too.

Fritz
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
As far as keeping four running backs, it might come down to whether Sutton is a better running back than Lansanah is a linebacker....

But if Sutton really can't block blitzers and his job would be to be a third down back, how scary is that if you're trying to keep Aaron Rodgers safe?

If the guy was coming out on third downs you might keep him, but that's not the case.

Lurker64
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
As far as keeping four running backs, it might come down to whether Sutton is a better running back than Lansanah is a linebacker....

I think Lansanah made the roster, he's the only Buck linebacker (other than Hawk) who I've seen play consistently well.

At this point, I think the "will we keep a fourth RB" comes down to whether or not Wynn rallies from whatever mysterious injury is afflicting him this year.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2009, 05:20 PM

Good post, Swede.

Sutton ran a 4.75 forty.

The last thing he has is real speed.

Good KR? What are you basing that on?

Lurker64
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Sutton ran a 4.75 forty.

Apparently he ran a 4.61 in a private workout with the Packers, but that's still not "real speed", but it's fast enough for a lot of things. He is quite a bit shiftier than everybody else we have at RB though.

KYPack
08-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Good post, Swede.

Sutton ran a 4.75 forty.

I looked up his stats.
he's got 1 KR for 8 yards at NW.
That's pretty good to me.

I guess I got him screwed up with another player.

As far as his foot speed, he's football fast.

Terrell Davis had shitty 40's, too, but he was fast on the field.

Sutton seems to be a guy like that.

Haven't seen any highlights where he gets caught from behind.

I like the kid, but I don't know who they will keep.

What is the deal with Wynn, BTW?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM

Good post, Swede.

Sutton ran a 4.75 forty.

I looked up his stats.
he's got 1 KR for 8 yards at NW.
That's pretty good to me.

I guess I got him screwed up with another player.

As far as his foot speed, he's football fast.

Terrell Davis had shitty 40's, too, but he was fast on the field.

Sutton seems to be a guy like that.

Haven't seen any highlights where he gets caught from behind.

I like the kid, but I don't know who they will keep.

What is the deal with Wynn, BTW?

Well, that is a bit better. Football speed vs. real speed. I suspect you could say that for every succesful back that isn't a burner. Akin to Partial's "it" status. :wink:

Wynn? I dont' know why you would ask me. Has talent, but can't seem to utilize it..either through injury or getting in his own way.

The Shadow
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Sutton makes the team.

Fritz
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm still puzzled...if he's going to be a third down guy and he can't block, why keep him?

Do coaches think he's going to be a first or second down guy?

MichiganPackerFan
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm still puzzled...if he's going to be a third down guy and he can't block, why keep him?

Do coaches think he's going to be a first or second down guy?

Tony Fisher couldn't block worth shit. But Sherman (for better or worse) kept him for his receiving ability out of the back field. How are Sutton's hands? Also, if he's a project player that they can't stash on the practice squad, it my indicate that they don't have a whole lot of faith in the other #2's.

retailguy
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Sutton makes the team.

You can say this without seeing him run against a 1st team defense? :shock:

I'm hoping they play him early on Saturday. Want to see if he's got the same burst that he's got with the 3's.

Also, whoever pointed out that one play where he got nicked and fell immediately.... Yep, that concerns me too. But, I've yet to see a fumble. That's a good thing.

Waldo
08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Sutton ran a 4.75 forty.

Apparently he ran a 4.61 in a private workout with the Packers, but that's still not "real speed", but it's fast enough for a lot of things. He is quite a bit shiftier than everybody else we have at RB though.

That is the same story with Tramon. Ran like a 4.6 at his official pro day on a track. He wanted a redo, nobody but the Packers and Texans gave him the time of day, then he ran a 4.4 flat on grass for them.

There is also coached speed and natural speed. Almost all guys slated to go higher in the draft go to speed camps to perfect technique for the speed drills, and have targeted workouts to perform better in the drills. It makes a big difference.

TT has taken a lot of players known to not have gone to speed camps. Jordy is his most notable pick that just went out there and did it, after working out on his own.

Fritz
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I just want to say that Forrest Gump's speed was coached speed:

"Run, Forrest, run!"

Everytime I'm on my bike and I go by a jogger, I want to say that.

The Shadow
08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Sutton makes the team.

I'm hoping they play him early on Saturday. Want to see if he's got the same burst that he's got with the 3's.

Also, whoever pointed out that one play where he got nicked and fell immediately.... Yep, that concerns me too. But, I've yet to see a fumble. That's a good thing.

Yup.
He gives the Packers a dimension, I think, that no other back does.

pbmax
08-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Sutton makes the team.

Yup.
He gives the Packers a dimension, I think, that no other back does.
Dwarfism?

:shock:

Just ban me now.

The Shadow
08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Shifty Slipperyism.

Fritz
08-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Shifty Slipperyism.

So if the kid makes the team, what do we nickname him?

Astraglide?

KY Jelly? (If only he were from Kentucky!)

The Shadow
08-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Shifty Slipperyism.

Astraglide?

Tyrell 'Sudden'?
Shifty Slippers?

pbmax
08-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Shifty Slipperyism.

Astraglide?

Tyrell 'Sudden'?
Shifty Slippers?
The Attorney

mission
08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
As a HS QB, I ran a 4.82 40 my junior year ...

Then I went to a speed camp with Barry Noonan (Barry Sanders speed coach) where all they taught was 40 technique and the like...

Came back and ran a 4.66 ...

Didn't feel like I played any faster on the field. Just learned the "tricks" of the stop watch.

Sutton plays REAL quick out there.

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 02:05 AM

Then I went to a speed camp with Barry Noonan (Barry Sanders speed coach) where all they taught was 40 technique and the like...

Didn't feel like I played any faster on the field. Just learned the "tricks" of the stop watch.

Snake used to run a slightly sub 4.60 a few years back when I played... Now I just run to the gas station to get more beers. :cry:

MichiganPackerFan
08-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Now I just run to the gas station to get more beers. :cry:

WOuld you mind grabbing another six for me and a bag of chips for when I watch the game this afternoon? Thanks buddy!

MJZiggy
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Is the game on later this afternoon? I was watching the 10:00, but the signal's not great 'cuz of the weather.

wist43
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Seems to have excellent vision and instincts... false steps and indecision will make even the fastest guy look slow.

Sutton has the team made IMO. The Packers have needed a change of pace back for quite a while... I don't see Jackson as being that. Jackson seems dependable enough, but lacks burst.

Be interesting to see how Sutton performs in the passing game... but at this point, I think he has the team made.

pbmax
08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I just want to say that Forrest Gump's speed was coached speed:

"Run, Forrest, run!"

Everytime I'm on my bike and I go by a jogger, I want to say that.
Sutton had a couple of very nice one cut runs behind the second O line last night, though he was not as effective overall. He also had a decent block in pass protection. I would like him over Lumpkin, not sure about Wynn if they keep less than 4 RBs. Jackson did not stand out in this game. If his shin is bad, I think you could see him on PUP, Sutton being Grant's relief and Wynn getting 3rd downs.

Fritz did you see Kampman used the same quote when asked what he thought after he picked up the fumble? :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Is the game on later this afternoon? I was watching the 10:00, but the signal's not great 'cuz of the weather.

I have it on the DVR from early this morning replay on NFL network. Going to watch it when I escape work. Six day work weeks SUCK!!!!

rbaloha1
08-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Seems to have excellent vision and instincts... false steps and indecision will make even the fastest guy look slow.

Sutton has the team made IMO. The Packers have needed a change of pace back for quite a while... I don't see Jackson as being that. Jackson seems dependable enough, but lacks burst.

Be interesting to see how Sutton performs in the passing game... but at this point, I think he has the team made.

Agree -- nice change of pace of rb. Great vision -- always seems to find the cutback lanes.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2009, 01:30 PM
how many undrafted running backs pan out? I can't think of a one.

Whisper Goodman made a little splash, then left town in his own quiet style.

I think Deshawn Wynn will win a roster spot ahead of Sutton because he is bigger, blocks well, and is reportedly assignment sure. I guess Wynn has gotten few attempts this preseason becasue the coaches know what he can do. WE'll see.

Waldo
08-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Pierre Thomas
Willie Parker
Priest Holmes
Ryan Grant

just off the top of my head.

Those are just the starters, there have been tons of good 2nd string/changeup backs that were undrafted.

swede
08-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Pierre Thomas
Willie Parker
Priest Holmes
Ryan Grant

just off the top of my head.

Those are just the starters, there have been tons of good 2nd string/changeup backs that were undrafted.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/pink_panther_one.jpg

(French accent) "Good one!"