PDA

View Full Version : Does our defense look mean this year?

Tony Oday
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
It just seems, and I know it is preseason, but the defense is just plain down right mean, chip on the shoulder, just got your dog ran over and girl left you mean?

Just seems like it too me watching the game. Lot of pushing after the play, a lot of fighting through blocks even if it has nothing to do with the play. Seems like the attitude is "we are not going to be the reason we lose a game this year, type thing."

Rastak
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
It just seems, and I know it is preseason, but the defense is just plain down right mean, chip on the shoulder, just got your dog ran over and girl left you mean?

Just seems like it too me watching the game. Lot of pushing after the play, a lot of fighting through blocks even if it has nothing to do with the play. Seems like the attitude is "we are not going to be the reason we lose a game this year, type thing."

I'd have to say that's what it looks like so far.

bobblehead
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I think Buddy Ryan had a talk with them, thats why they are fighting with their teammates as well.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I still say you have to remember that offenses aren't used to seeing teams blitz in the preseason - remember the Vanilla Man and Bates wanting to keep blitzes somehow "secret" and so not blitzing much if at all?

It looks good so far, but let's see when the action begins for real.

Tony Oday
08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
oh Fritz I am not saying the production looks better because I know that offenses do not gameplan per say as much, I am saying on an idividual level the guys just look flat out ticked off and want to hit something.

ThunderDan
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I still say you have to remember that offenses aren't used to seeing teams blitz in the preseason - remember the Vanilla Man and Bates wanting to keep blitzes somehow "secret" and so not blitzing much if at all?

They use to blitz a lot in the preseason. And we would get all excited about the pressure we would bring. And then, the regular season would start and no blitzes.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM

They use to blitz a lot in the preseason. And we would get all excited about the pressure we would bring. And then, the regular season would start and no blitzes.

Wasn't that "The Year of Ed Donatell"?

Lurker64
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM

They were even mixing in a variety of exotic new blitzes in the preseason last year (I especially liked the bracket look they gave with 2 ends and no DTs), and none of them got used in the regular season when they would have been helpful.

falco
08-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Nope, the year of Bob Slowik. And it actually started into the first few games as well, until we realized that leaving Mike Hawthorne on a island was going to mean giving up a lot of points.

Sanders, though, seemed to blitz a lot in the preseason as well, but then became "vanilla" in the regular season.

Fritz
08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Slowik, yes.

rbaloha1
08-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes, a chippy, nasty and swarming defense. IMO the defense feels embarrassed from last season.

Pugger
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't know if I'd use the word nasty but the fellas are active and agressive. Under Sanders they seemed to be a more of a reactionary defense. I would think the players would enjoy Dom's type of a D. When a player is having fun and is loose good things happen. :D