PDA

View Full Version : I.R. - stash some players for the year?

Patler
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
The Packers have some roster situations with too many players that are good enough to keep. Some are not practice squad eligible. Some are doubtful to clear waivers and make it to the Packers practice squad. TT will try to trade some, but trades for players are not a big thing in the NFL anymore. Some are possible IR candidates:

Harrell - I think a near certainty. Why not?
Thompson - Again, why not? A somewhat promising player, but not on the field right now.
Mathews - only if the hamstring is more serious than we think. It has been recurring.
Rouse - Varying reports about the seriousness of his injury.
Peprah - Not sure what his injury is. Not a real exciting player, but coaches like him as a backup.
Wynn - I'm not sure they will want to waste time and money with him anymore.

I think all of the above are players the Packers wouldn't mind keeping and wouldn't mind having around for next season in TC. All could possibly be stashed away for a year on I.R.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
If Matthews (especially) or Thompson have any chance of playing in the first half of the season, they won't be put on IR.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I suddenly had a image of Brohm's pinkie on his non-throwing hand being stepped on by a lineman.

Tarlam!
08-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Is our secondary that shallow? Why bother with a mediocre back up like Peprah, apart from "the coaches seem to like him?

Tarlam!
08-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Question: Can an IRed player be dealt to another team and play in that same season?

Patler
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Is our secondary that shallow? Why bother with a mediocre back up like Peprah, apart from "the coaches seem to like him?

I keep reading things about Peprah being very assignment sure. Coaches take comfort in backups who will come in and not screw up even if they aren't making big plays. Sometimes that is all you really want from a reserve, "Don't screw up!" They have also said he stays very focused and attentive even when he knows he will not play. He stays ready. Not all young "hot shots" in a reserve role can do that.

Patler
08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
If Matthews (especially) or Thompson have any chance of playing in the first half of the season, they won't be put on IR.

I agree about Mathews, which is why I suggested IR would be an option only if the injury is more of a problem than we have been lead to believe it is. Thompson I'm not so sure about. If some of the others continue to play well, I think they might be just as content with sticking him on ice rather than waiting for him to get onto the field in '09. If they are real excited about what he might do, then they will keep him. But, I suspect they are no more excited about Thompson than they are about another LB or two that they might be able to keep instead. IR would keep Thompson around for another year of development.

KYPack
08-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Is Wynn PS eligible?

He was on PS in '07 & '08 and was active for more than 8 games last year.

oregonpackfan
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
How about stashing WR Brett Swain on PS or IR for another year? The Packers receiving corps is strong but injuries and other unexpected circumstances can decimate the group as it did in past years.

Swain is worth keeping for injuries reasons, IMO.

Patler
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Is Wynn PS eligible?

He was on PS in '07 & '08 and was active for more than 8 games last year.

I don't think he is, unless there is an exception to the exception of the alternative to the eligibility conditions of the rule on practice squads that I am not aware of! :lol: :lol:

Patler
08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
How about stashing WR Brett Swain on PS or IR for another year? The Packers receiving corps is strong but injuries and other unexpected circumstances can decimate the group as it did in past years.

Swain is worth keeping for injuries reasons, IMO.

I think Swain would definitely be a guy they would like to get to the PS if they can. I was trying to focus more on IR in this thread, and right now there is nothing that would seem to give them that opportunity with Swain. But, playbooks are large with lots of pages having razor sharp edges. Those paper cuts on the hand of a WR can be devastating! :lol:

pbmax
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Is Wynn hurt currently? Or does he have an injury he doesn't know about yet? :lol:

Patler
08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Is Wynn hurt currently? Or does he have an injury he doesn't know about yet? :lol:

He could be suffering from P.I.S. - "Pre-Injury Syndrome". :lol:

Lurker64
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Not knowing the extent of most of these injuries, how likely is it that, for example, Thompson and Matthews's injuries are simply things that they are taking precautions with (as it's preseason), but would not hold those players out of games (for example) during the regular season?

Patler
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Not knowing the extent of most of these injuries, how likely is it that, for example, Thompson and Matthews's injuries are simply things that they are taking precautions with (as it's preseason), but would not hold those players out of games (for example) during the regular season?

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I have read it doesn't seem they are doing anything in practice. They did even less than Barnett did last week. Thompson is being converted to a new position, and Mathews is a raw rookie who doesn't even have a lot of playing experience from college. If their injuries are such that they could play if it were the regular season, it seems to me they would be doing some limited things in practice right now. If these were veteran players it might be different.

Fritz
08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Does the NFL keep an eye on that so that the IR doesn't become like the NBA's, which is essentially a joke - a way to shuffle rosters?