PDA

View Full Version : Ass Will Be Kicked by the Pack

Fritz
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm going to go out on the limb. I'm not the type to do that, but dammit, it's time.

C'mon. You all know it. The Favre drama is someone else's drama. Rodgers is young and good and imprvoing, and the defense has to be - has to be - better than last year.

And so will the offense. The offensive line is coming together. And even if Harrell busts, the rest of the line will be workmanlike.

And we've got linebackers coming out of our - okay, our ears.

And the secondary? Whose secondary would you trade it for?

Depth at most positions, and you all know it.

Barring key injuries, this team is going to rock the NFC North.

And you know it. Even you, Wist. C'mon, buddy. You know it, too.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I like your optimism Fritz.

It sure does look like we have a lot more reason for hope than we have in quite a while. (What's your take on that Ol' Wisty?)

If the pieces come together like it looks on paper, we could be in for a really fun season.

mission
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I wanna be the first (dammit, SECOND!) co-sign on my dude Fritz' thread here... it's hard not to "see" it right now.

Say what you want about "oh it's just preseason" ... the last time we had a great preseason, we went 13-3. The overall intensity is light years above where we've been. Search for my old posts and 'intensity' and you can see that's all I complained about. Years and years of it.

Can't wait for this season!

denverYooper
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Pretty hard not to be excited. Maybe their Ws have come at the expense of bad teams, but they've done what good teams do to bad teams -- dominated them.

I see a much more fired up team on both sides of the ball. I'm even more excited because we have a solid team built that *should* be strong for multiple seasons, barring injuries.

The Shadow
08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
VERY optimistic!!
I think this team is going to surpeise - in a positive way! - a lot of prognosticaters who seem to rely, year after year, solely on a team's record of the previous year to predict the future.

Scott Campbell
08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm excited like always during the summer. And the team has looked better than usual so far. But it's too early, and I'm reserving judgement.

pbmax
08-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm with you Fritz, forget detached observation. :lol:

Someone get RetailGuy in here to pass the kool-aid.

MichiganPackerFan
08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm with you Fritz, forget detached observation. :lol:

Someone get RetailGuy in here to pass the kool-aid.

Add a little vodka and I'll drink that.

Tony Oday
08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
10-6 winning the NFCN and kicking arse every Sunday :)

*edit for more kool-aid talk*

I think the defense will again scare offenses. Sacks, preasure, turnovers and outright bad assness will be higher. Tandem CB that most teams kill for, Depth in the LB corp, Hawk will dominate this year, AK will be a stud and love the position. DL that is shortened and thus adds depth.

Offense! OMG the offense will be spectacular. Number one QB in the north, number 1 WR, an Oline that isnt being shuffled every 13 plays, RBs running like they want to hit something and then step on it as they go through it. TE is a threat again...wow two TE that can start NICE...a FB who by some accounts was put up against a brick wall in 1 v 1 and ran through it.

How the H can't you be excited!

bobblehead
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Jermichael Finley will be the straw that stirs this year. I feel like we could lose anyone on offense except a TE. A double Finley/Lee set will run hard or surprise with the run...visions of Chewy and Jackson running through my head.

If the D can provide turnovers like last year AND pressure like '07 we could REALLY surprise people and get 12-13 wins again. Grant looks authoritive and wynn looks all growed up....its august and we can't LOST BABY!!!

Partial
08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Jermichael Finley will be the straw that stirs this year. I feel like we could lose anyone on offense except a TE. A double Finley/Lee set will run hard or surprise with the run...visions of Chewy and Jackson running through my head.

If the D can provide turnovers like last year AND pressure like '07 we could REALLY surprise people and get 12-13 wins again. Grant looks authoritive and wynn looks all growed up....its august and we can't LOST BABY!!!

I agree with all of this. The OL improved play and hopefully the emergence of Finley will open up the running game. If this team can rush for 120-150 a game, they will be very, very difficult to beat I'd have to imagine.

gbgary
08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
i can't remember the last time the preseason has pumped me up like this. they look great and seem very enthusiastic.

GO PACK!!

pack4to84
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
The last time I was this giddy about the possibilities for the Packers was the training camp for '96. I remember at the Family Night Reggie White running around the stadium high-fiving people. While the fans where chanting SUPER BOWL. I believe all the pieces are in place for a run for the Super Bowl. This is the most talented team Packers have had since '96, '97 seasons. It will come down to the Packers vs Eagle for the SUPER BOWL. This time we beat the Eagles to advance.........

Chevelle2
08-24-2009, 09:42 PM
i can't remember the last time the preseason has pumped me up like this. they look great and seem very enthusiastic.

GO PACK!!

Thats one thing I noticed. This team, especially the D looks EXCITED. Everytime they create a turnover, 11 guys are jumping around like its a playoff game. When was the last time we saw that in Aug?!

pbmax
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Arizona on the road will be a good test. I hope to have my kool-aid on hand to drink while watching on the tube.

KYPack
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Arizona on the road will be a good test. I hope to have my kool-aid on hand to drink while watching on the tube.

Fritz for leader!

Mission nailed it. Sanders "mono-defense" flat-out drained the fire out of our boys on D. Now opposing OC's actually have to gameplan for us and our boys can create mis-matches and take it to 'em, yall.

Packerarcher
08-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I have to say I am very impressed with ths Rodgers so far this year and really think he is going to have a great year. I also am very excited about this defense.

Noodle
08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm excited like always during the summer. And the team has looked better than usual so far. But it's too early, and I'm reserving judgement.

For the love of God, you've got enough sack to keep three bass on a stringer, but you're gonna wait until the end of the season before saying whether the season was a success?

I don't even know you any more.

Book it. Barring injury, this team has just what it takes. The D is getting that infectious bug known as turnoveritus. You can't explain it, but when it bites, it rips through victims like a case of swine flu.

The O is a cold-blooded killer, with the Second Coming just starting to reach his potential. Grant's sassy, the WRs are sick talented, the TEs are a threat for the first time since 97, and the OL will be, by mid-season, hitting a stride that will carry the Pack over whatever nicks the skilled players may have suffered. And the extra talent at LB/FB is going to translate in to improved STs, as will Crosby's maturation. Punter? Who cares. This team don't punt.

Fritz is right. This is no time to play "wait and see." Unless you want to be labeled a front runner.

Iron Mike
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Fritz is right. This is no time to play "wait and see." Unless you want to be labeled a front runner.

OK, fuck it.....I'm calling another 16-0. :wink:

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2009, 01:06 AM
im thoroughly impressed and predict 14-2 and play minny or nyg for trip to mia...

im sorry TT, u aight.... 8-)

LETS GOOOOOOOO....!!!

Chevelle2
08-25-2009, 01:15 AM
14-2 - 12-4, losses @Pitt and @Chi also potentially DAL and @Min.

Host the title game vs PHI.

You heard it here first.

denverYooper
08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
14-2 - 12-4, losses @Pitt and @Chi also potentially DAL and @Min.

Host the title game vs PHI.

You heard it here first.

We stomp Dallas this year. I'm feelin' it.

Tarlam!
08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm all for passion, but please fellas, slowly back away from the beverage. :D :D :D

sheepshead
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll be disappointed if we are worse than 11-5 myself. We made the right moves during the off season and as usual it didnt necessarily involve high priced free agents.

bbbffl66
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I remember walking into the stadium last year for the Dallas game and thinking "This is the first time in a long time I don't think we'll win!"
I had no faith in the mess that was last year.
And I was right.

This year, there is a whole different feel to the team. I think the BF stuff will fire up this team like nothing else. NCFN here we come!

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I remember walking into the stadium last year for the Dallas game and thinking "This is the first time in a long time I don't think we'll win!"

Where were you in 2005 and 2006?

mngolf19
08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I've probably said this for 2 straight years now, so why not make it 3. I believe the NFCN will be the strongest in NFC and definitely have 2 playoff teams this year. Maybe 3 teams with double digit wins.

Dabaddestbear
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
I will have to disagree with the Packers taking this NFC North by the horns.

True the Packers do look better, but the LB's are just average (but solid), and I do think your secondary will have some issues if that rush dont put instant pressure on the QB.

As for my Bears, I do have concerns about the defensive secondary, but we have been without both starters at our CB positions for both pre-season games so far...so the jury is still out. But in camp they were playing pretty good before slight injuries.
And the defensive line did pretty good against a NY Giants first string line in bringing pressure, and our offensive line dominated one of the best front four in the NFL when they went up against the Giants D-line.

The second year tackle (Williams)that was injured last year as a rookie, and for the reason of not playing was considered a bust by outsiders(including many Packer fans on here), dominated Tuck!
Those WR's that you all said were so terrible had no problem getting open and seperation also.

So that being said, I think the Bears will have plenty to say about the Pack taking the NFC North Crown. The true test will start in week one!

ThunderDan
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I will have to disagree with the Packers taking this NFC North by the horns.

True the Packers do look better, but the LB's are just average (but solid), and I do think your secondary will have some issues if that rush dont put instant pressure on the QB.

We have 3 of 4 Pro Bowlers and you think we are going to have trouble with our secondary?

Patler
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
...and I do think your secondary will have some issues if that rush dont put instant pressure on the QB.

The rush can't possibly be any worse than last year. (Can it be worse than nonexistent?) The secondary played remarkably well as far as interceptions, completion percentage allowed, opponent QB rating, etc. last year in spite of no rush and poor play by the linebackers. I know the coverages will be different this year, but as long as age doesn't catch up to Harris and Woodson, I think they will be fine.

Dabaddestbear
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
...and I do think your secondary will have some issues if that rush dont put instant pressure on the QB.

The rush can't possibly be any worse than last year. (Can it be worse than nonexistent?) The secondary played remarkably well as far as interceptions, completion percentage allowed, opponent QB rating, etc. last year in spite of no rush and poor play by the linebackers. I know the coverages will be different this year, but as long as age doesn't catch up to Harris and Woodson, I think they will be fine.
And thats what I am hoping for, AGE to kick them in the butt in regards to Harris and Woodson.
We have young inexperienced WR's, but they are pretty fast. I cant wait for week one!!

]{ilr]3
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM

I was pretty impressed with the way Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly and Raji were pushing the Bills o-linemen around saturday.
I am looking forward to next weeks Pre-season game against the Cards, who should be much bigger challenge for the Packer D-line than thier previous 2 opponents. Plus this will be thier first game away....

Anyone heard more about Collins rib injury? Thats a guy we need healthy

Patler
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
And thats what I am hoping for, AGE to kick them in the butt in regards to Harris and Woodson.
We have young inexperienced WR's, but they are pretty fast. I cant wait for week one!!

Unfortunately for you and the Bears, if age does catch up to Harris and Woodson, it isn't likely to happen by week 1! Woodson playing facing the QB should be interesting.

I'm not a big fan of divisional games right away in week 1. I would prefer if everyone had a couple of less significant games before divisional play (if any one in 16 is really "less significant!) Let the rookies and other new players, like Cutler, settle in before playing a top rival.

Of course, I also think half the league should have byes in week 8 or 9 and the rest in week 9 or 10, and be done with it!

boiga
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
{ilr]3]
Anyone heard more about Collins rib injury? Thats a guy we need healthy It's a non-issue thankfully. He's been back in practice the last two days.

I always get nervous when we start getting too optimistic in the preseason. Especially when the national press starts to agree with us. Here are some examples from SI:

Don Banks: • WINNER -- Not to repeat myself from last week, but how can you not be impressed with the speed at which Green Bay's defense has embraced the 3-4 formation that new coordinator Dom Capers brought to town? Stuffing the Browns and Bills offenses hasn't been the biggest challenge in recent years, but the Packers have forced nine turnovers in their first two preseason games, and Buffalo had just 18 yards of total offense in the first half of Green Bay's 31-21 win Saturday night.

I picked up on two vibes during my day at Packers camp earlier this month, and they were that this defense is much better than most folks know, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers is ready to roll. Through two weeks and two impressive Packers wins, I'm more convinced than ever. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/08/25/winners.losers/index.html?eref=sihpT1)

And Peter King: j. Best team in the first two weeks, to me, looks like Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is playing as if these games actually matter. The defensive line keeps shutting good players; unsung players, like Johnny Jolly in and out, and they keep making plays. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/23/mmqb/3.html)

Nevertheless, it's hard to disagree with these guys...

pbmax
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I've probably said this for 2 straight years now, so why not make it 3. I believe the NFCN will be the strongest in NFC and definitely have 2 playoff teams this year. Maybe 3 teams with double digit wins.
Between this and Iron Mike predicting 16-0, I'd say the season has offically begun! :D

Dabaddestbear
08-25-2009, 03:20 PM

Unfortunately for you and the Bears, if age does catch up to Harris and Woodson, it isn't likely to happen by week 1! Woodson playing facing the QB should be interesting.

I'm not a big fan of divisional games right away in week 1. I would prefer if everyone had a couple of less significant games before divisional play (if any one in 16 is really "less significant!) Let the rookies and other new players, like Cutler, settle in before playing a top rival.

Of course, I also think half the league should have byes in week 8 or 9 and the rest in week 9 or 10, and be done with it!
yeah same here. I guess between the Vikes, Bears, and Packers, the team that will rise is the one that gets accustomed to its new personal, and new defense/offense first.

I rather face you guys 3-4 now, while they are still on a learning curve , versus before they are seasoned in it.

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Totally agree on the scheduling. While it is exiting to open up with a division rival, I'd rather see the teams play when they are poth playing at their best, and I can't imagine that will be the first game.

DBB, interesting thoughts on the year. I certainly don't think that anyone will run away with it, but the Pack D-line can not be worse, and the CB's have battled age quite successfully. And there's a bit of depth there too (the depth will need a lot more pressure than Harris and Woodson)

MJZiggy
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Here are some examples from SI:

Don Banks: • WINNER -- Not to repeat myself from last week, but how can you not be impressed with the speed at which Green Bay's defense has embraced the 3-4 formation that new coordinator Dom Capers brought to town? Stuffing the Browns and Bills offenses hasn't been the biggest challenge in recent years, but the Packers have forced nine turnovers in their first two preseason games, and Buffalo had just 18 yards of total offense in the first half of Green Bay's 31-21 win Saturday night.

I picked up on two vibes during my day at Packers camp earlier this month, and they were that this defense is much better than most folks know, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers is ready to roll. Through two weeks and two impressive Packers wins, I'm more convinced than ever. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/08/25/winners.losers/index.html?eref=sihpT1)

And Peter King: j. Best team in the first two weeks, to me, looks like Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is playing as if these games actually matter. The defensive line keeps shutting good players; unsung players, like Johnny Jolly in and out, and they keep making plays. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/23/mmqb/3.html)

Nevertheless, it's hard to disagree with these guys...

Aw crap!

Tarlam!
08-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Aw crap!

Impressive post, Ziggy.I cannot wait for your next two syllabels... 8-)

Lurker64
08-26-2009, 03:03 AM

Regardless of who takes the crown (Obviously I want it to be my team, and you want it to be your team), it will be a good thing if this division were a lot stronger compared to the other divisions in the NFL. For a while this division, while not a laughing stock, obviously didn't inspire a great deal of fear in other conferences or attention from the national media, and I would like to see that change.

Detroit though, seems no closer to being relevant than at any point in recent memory.

MJZiggy
08-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Aw crap!

Impressive post, Ziggy.I cannot wait for your next two syllabels... 8-)

I can think of two syllables for you, babe, (momentarily channeling Skinbasket) :taunt:

Tarlam!
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
"Eff Ewe", Ziggy, do not do you justice. You will have to apply yourself, Dear. 8-) 8-)