PDA

View Full Version : WELLS STAYING PUT, Preston gets released...

gbpackfan
08-25-2009, 01:29 PM
The National Football Post has a "source" that claims Wells will stay as the back-up and Preston is already gone. Which would make sense as he was not at practice this morning.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Wells-staying-put-Pack-to-release-Preston.html

Scott Campbell
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
It speculated he'd "probably" stay. And that seems like a plausible option. The other option might be to trade him, and keep the rook from ID State.

CaptainKickass
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I was feeling that Wells would win the starting gig. However, if this story is true, I feel great about having a starting caliber center as backup. Probably the best case scenario and likely other teams would envy the quality depth.

If true - good move IMO.

Guiness
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder what Wells would fetch?

*shrug* likely a 4th or 5th rounder rounder or something.

KYPack
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Preston was one of the worst OLineman I've ever seen in G&G.

He was Wil Whitticker-like.

sheepshead
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Scott Wells has done everything asked of him, my impression is he's the kind of guy you find a way to keep around.

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Scott Wells has done everything asked of him, my impression is he's the kind of guy you find a way to keep around.

He sounded pretty pissed in the JSO blog write-up, but I'd be concerned if he wasn't. (knock on wood) Injuries on the o-line have been fairly frequent, so I wouldn't be suprised at all if Spitz ends up sliding one way or the other and Wells is right back in the thick of things.

DonHutson
08-25-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't know that I buy the argument that the decision to keep or trade Wells hinged on the presence of Duke Preston.

If someone rocked Ted's world with an offer for Wells he'd still trade him, I'm sure. Lacking that, Wells offers great fall on your face insurance for the young starters, or in the case of injury.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
If someone rocked Ted's world with an offer for Wells he'd still trade him, I'm sure .

Wells is a vital cog in the wheel THIS year. The first responsibility of the GM is to put a winner on the field NOW. They have a good team this year, don't want to be one injury away from mediocrity.

rbaloha1
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM

Yes. What about Adrian Klemm?

MichiganPackerFan
08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Didn't Mike Sherman love and start Will Whitticker? Wasn't he just a training camp star for a season? Rate those training camp stars to high, and you end up with underachieving teams.

oregonpackfan
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I wonder what Wells would fetch?

*shrug* likely a 4th or 5th rounder rounder or something.

The Seahawks are looking for O-linemen. They are short-handed due to injuries. Didn't the Packers make a trade with them that gave us Ahman Green?

rbaloha1
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I would not trade Wells since he is also capable of playing guard.

Gunakor
08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I would not trade Wells since he is also capable of playing guard.

But he wouldn't. He'd play center while Spitz slides out to guard.

DonHutson
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
If someone rocked Ted's world with an offer for Wells he'd still trade him, I'm sure .

Wells is a vital cog in the wheel THIS year. The first responsibility of the GM is to put a winner on the field NOW. They have a good team this year, don't want to be one injury away from mediocrity.

Clearly it would probably take a lot to rock Ted's world. I think the odds of it happening are very low.

However, a trade doesn't necessarily imply a pay off down the road. Theoretically they could bring in another veteren who presumably would be expected to have a greater impact than Wells.

KYPack
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes. What about Adrian Klemm?

Klemm was a poor guard. He actually was a decent back-up tackle, had great footwork for a tackle. But he sure as hell couldn't play guard at all.