PDA

View Full Version : Packers interested in Bucs QBs

Patler
08-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the Buccaneers could use a linebacker? Packers mentioned as interested in the last sentence of this article.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/25/bucs-listening-to-offers-for-any-qb-but-freeman/

MichiganPackerFan
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Gruden did like to collect quarterbacks like Paris Hilton does STD's...

CaptainKickass
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Well - it says the Packers are "monitoring", not that they've expressed interest. I'm pretty sure the Pack "monitors" way more situations as well.

Either way - I think at this point, you'd either take the young guy (Johnson)so you have an upside QB and future worth, or you take Byron to have a veteran QB that won't lose games for you.

If you go the veteran route - then I think that veteran has to be your #2 QB. I'm not sure that is how the Pack wants to roll. I think they're sold on Flynn as the # 2 and should seek a youngster who needs development as the # 3 QB.

That is as long as the Pack actually rolls with 3 QB's this season.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the Buccaneers could use a linebacker? Packers mentioned as interested in the last sentence of this article.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/25/bucs-listening-to-offers-for-any-qb-but-freeman/

Did they pay Leftwich much to get him to sign there? If so, a trade for him may be out of the question.

If I'm an unemployed NFL QB looking for work, the GB situation would be pretty enticing.

mraynrand
08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
If the Packers didn't pick up a veteran QB last year, I doubt they would this year, unless Flynn is hurting. But it seems they would keep tabs on the QBs that will be available following final cuts, so they can bring guys in in an emergency.

Patler
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Well - it says the Packers are "monitoring", not that they've expressed interest. I'm pretty sure the Pack "monitors" way more situations as well.

Either way - I think at this point, you'd either take the young guy (Johnson)so you have an upside QB and future worth, or you take Byron to have a veteran QB that won't lose games for you.

If you go the veteran route - then I think that veteran has to be your #2 QB. I'm not sure that is how the Pack wants to roll. I think they're sold on Flynn as the # 2 and should seek a youngster who needs development as the # 3 QB.

Well....if you are going to nitpick language, at least be accurate! :roll:
I didn't write that they expressed interest. I said they "are interested". I would say they "are interested" in any situation that they are monitoring. Doesn't mean that they will do anything about it, or even make an offer, or even discuss it with the Bucs. They may never "express" any interest to anyone at all about it.

Of more importance than your choice of words or mine:
I've often thought that we will know that the Packers truly believe they are a legitimate Super Bowl contender when they go after an experienced backup QB if they don't have one. I think they may like Flynn long term, but if they need a QB to come in to help win a critical game this season, or start for a game or two, they would probably prefer someone with experience as a starter. Like bringing in Jim McMahon when Doug Pederson wasn't yet ready or experienced enough to be relied upon.

CaptainKickass
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Well....if you are going to nitpick language, at least be accurate! :roll:
I didn't write that they expressed interest. I said they "are interested". I would say they "are interested" in any situation that they are monitoring. Doesn't mean that they will do anything about it, or even make an offer, or even discuss it with the Bucs. They may never "express" any interest to anyone at all about it.

I've often thought that we will know that the Packers truly believe they are a legitimate Super Bowl contender when they go after an experienced backup QB if they don't have one. I think they may like Flynn long term, but if they need a QB to come in to help win a critical game this season, or start for a game or two, they would probably prefer someone with experience as a starter. Like bringing in Jim McMahon when Doug Pederson wasn't yet ready or experienced enough to be relied upon.

Totally agree.

But - the braintrust has shown willingness to be outside of normal. Some would say risky. And ironically, this is one of the characteristics that keeps me enamored with the management and coaching of our team.

DonHutson
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I remember being very intrigued by Josh Johnson when he came out for the draft a couple of years ago, but I haven't paid much attention to him since then. Most likely Tampa would prefer to move the loser of the McCown/Leftwich competition.

Pugger
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
IF TT was interested in a vet QB what then do they do with Brohm? I doubt they want to cut him lose right now. He is the perfect candidate to groom for the future as is Flynn. But I can't think they'd keep 4 QBs on the roster at the end of the day... :?:

mraynrand
08-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Your theory may be correct, but it also may indicate where they are with Brohm. They could put Flynn at #3 if they can get a vet who can come in and win a few games, but they would have to be willing to say goodbye to Brohm. A third, unlikely possibility is that Flynn's stock rises enough where they think they can get a good deal for him in a trade for a future draft pick (3rd round or better), and then have vet #2 and Brohm #3.

Fritz
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I am monitoring this thread.

I am interested.

Fritz
08-26-2009, 01:38 PM

I am interested.

mraynrand
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM

I am interested.

I am showing interest.

cheesner
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM

I am interested.

I am showing interest.
I have no interest. I will no longer monitor. I think the Pack has a contingency plan for injuries to every single player and monitor emergency options at every position. Probably a non-story.

Well, I must have some interest if I bothered to post . . .

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Non-story. Tampa won't trade Freeman. I have read that they really like Johnson, as well. It would take a big offer to get him. Thus, it looks like they are looking to get rid of whichever veteran doesn't start, Leftwich or McCown. Leftwich would be a bad fit for our offense. He's not a WCO QB. His delivery is too slow. McCown just isn't very good. I see nothing to this story.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Could be a Viking castoff soon.

The PAckers definitley need another QB. I say cut losses with Brohm.

rbaloha1
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
IF TT was interested in a vet QB what then do they do with Brohm? I doubt they want to cut him lose right now. He is the perfect candidate to groom for the future as is Flynn. But I can't think they'd keep 4 QBs on the roster at the end of the day... :?:

BB could go on the practice squad. Veteran qb is necessary.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure Brohm is even eligible for th epractice squad. As bad as he's looked, he probably wouldn't get there. He was a second round pick last year, and he'd likely get a chance to be a developmental type QB elsewhere.

rbaloha1
08-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure Brohm is even eligible for th epractice squad. As bad as he's looked, he probably wouldn't get there. He was a second round pick last year, and he'd likely get a chance to be a developmental type QB elsewhere.

Eligible. Someone picking him up would have to put him on the active squad. Worth the gamble.

Fritz
08-27-2009, 06:24 AM
According to the JSO, Brohm's performances this week have been absolutely brutal. The dude seems to be absolutely imploding - I feel bad, embarrassed for him. Kinda like being in high school and watching your drunk father hitting on your female friends.

Patler
08-27-2009, 07:16 AM
If Flynn's injury could linger, the Packers may have no choice but to release Brohm and bring in someone else. He was described this week as missing wide open receivers on short passes, and not being able to make the most routine throws. It sounds like there is no way they could risk having to play him for any extended time in a regular season game.

The next preseason game is critical for him.

hoosier
08-27-2009, 07:51 AM
According to the JSO, Brohm's performances this week have been absolutely brutal. The dude seems to be absolutely imploding - I feel bad, embarrassed for him. Kinda like being in high school and watching your drunk father hitting on your female friends.

Eeew. That's Joe Namath territory there. Are you sure Brohm screwing up on the field could compete with THAT?

Patler
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Todays rumors about the Packer backup QB situation:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/27/desperate-for-qb-help-packers-could-look-to-tampa/

So, was there anything to the Vick to GB rumors?
McCowan?

Fritz
08-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't know much at all about the Josh Johnson guy. I take it he's a young guy with some upside? My guess is they'd pay more for that than for the standard-issue backup like McCown.

Weird headline though. "Desperate"? Concerned, sure, depending on the severity of Flynn's injury. If it's more serious than they're letting on, then yes, they need a #2 guy who can step in and play. If Flynn will be back for the start of the regular season, and the team is convinced that Brohm's head will never be yanked from his posterior, then they're looking for a third-stringer, basically, since they seem to like Flynn.

In the former case - FLynn's injury is worse than reported - McCown would seem to be the better target. He's a vet who could play, if I understand Johnson to be a raw prospect type.

If though it's the latter case, maybe Johnson's a better choice - he can sit as a third stringer and the Pack can evaluate his potential.

But then there's the Vince Young thing. Thompson seemed at least to be enamored of the guy before the 06 draft. But is he a head case? Can he be accurate enough as a passer?

Interesting times.

Pugger
08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Poor Brohm. I really feel for the kid. It must be frustrating for him to struggle like he is and then has to watch Flynn play pretty well. It just seems like the speed of the pro game is too much for him. :( But if Brohm continues to struggle MM and TT might be able to risk cutting him and then placing him on the PS should he clear waivers. But I would hope they wouldn't cut Brohm and then go into the regular season with only 2 QBs on the roster! :shock:

Lurker64
08-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Does Brohm still have Practice Squad eligibility? I don't know offhand, and was hoping someone else here would. I figure that he's been such a trainwreck with the Packers, that unless something momentous happens in the last 2 preseason games, he's going to get cut. Since Flynn is nicked, that means we probably need to bring in somebody else (I like Johnson best of the QBs Tampa would trade, but McNown is probably cheaper).

But you'd figure that with how incredibly terrible he's been ever since being drafted, no other team would want him (second round pick or not). So he'll probably clear waivers. Does that mean he's done, or can we stick him on the PS?

Fritz
08-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Lurk, I think Joey Harrington is still getting look-sees.

Someone would snap up a kid who has only been around a year and may have a mental block.

A fresh start, all that. He'd never make it to the practice squad in my estimation.

rbaloha1
08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Todays rumors about the Packer backup QB situation:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/27/desperate-for-qb-help-packers-could-look-to-tampa/

So, was there anything to the Vick to GB rumors?
McCowan?

leftwich would be nice.

Pugger
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I think Brohm is still PS eligible cuz he active for less than 9 games last season.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-28-2009, 03:10 AM
I think Brohm is still PS eligible cuz he active for less than 9 games last season.

I'm not sure on the rules, but Brian St. Pierre is still eligible..and he has been in the league a long time.

mraynrand
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm sorry you had to experience such a troubled childhood.

jmbarnes101
08-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Yup. Same with the Vikes and JDB. The big question would be whether you think he'll get through waivers or not.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Flynn getting a slight injury is a blessing in dee skies. Thompson needs to make a decision on Brohm, and what better way to hold a tryout.

No decision is guaranteed. They could cut Brohm and he could be an NFL starter in two years, no way to know for sure. I don't think they should keep him just because he is a 2nd round pick, that is water over the dam. I hope his performance tonight pushes Thompson to a decision one way or another.

Scott Campbell
08-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Yup. Same with the Vikes and JDB. The big question would be whether you think he'll get through waivers or not.

If they cut him, I doubt they care that much if somebody picked him up.

packerbacker1234
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
It's just amazing seeing such a big difference between Brohm and Flynn. I mean, Flynn when he's on the field looks like he can actually play this game, meanwhile Brohm just looks lost.

Patler
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
It's just amazing seeing such a big difference between Brohm and Flynn. I mean, Flynn when he's on the field looks like he can actually play this game, meanwhile Brohm just looks lost.

Watching Brohm, it's hard to envision that he had a successful D-1 college career. He looks like some non-drafted player from a small school being given a tryout, and finding himsel to be way out of his league. Then, when you consider that he has been doing this with Green Bay for more than a year already, it is totally unbelievable.

Supposedly Brohm is a highly intelligent man, and won a number of academic awards, etc. I once read a report about desirable characteristics in different professional athletes, not just football players. For QBs it said they must be smart, but not too smart. If they are used to always getting the "right" answer they will freeze in the fast paced environment of the NFL, unless they are willing to go with their instincts rather than knowledge. While acknowledging some successful, very smart QBs, they listed some of the highest achievers academically who failed miserably in the NFL inspit of outstanding college careers. Their conclusion was to look for someone perhaps smarter than average, but not one who is truly outstanding academically.

I have thought of that article when I watch Brohm. He plays very hesitatingly, and I doubt it is because he doesn't know the mechanics of the play, but because he can't decide on an option without knowing that there might not be a better one further in the progression. He can't say, "Good enough!" and take it.

Fritz
08-28-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm sorry you had to experience such a troubled childhood.

Hey, that's okay. He taught m e everything I know. And I have a well-stocked wine cellar and a daughter in high school with lots of friends!

Pugger
08-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I watched the Tampa/Miami game last night and McCown looked okay but it is hard to tell how good he could be cuz he was running for his life most of the time. Leftwich was horrid. :shock: He has a decent arm but his accuracy leaves something to be desired. Unless Tampa's offense turns it around in 2 weeks I didn't see anything there that would cause a defensive cooridinator to lose any sleep.

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 02:01 AM
This may all be true, but if we get a new backup QB before preseason game 4, how can we evaluate the punter situation if Brohm doesn't get a bunch of snaps? :shock: :lol:

Scott Campbell
08-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Glazer says Leftwitch won the starting job in Tampa. Nuts.

The Shadow
08-29-2009, 05:09 PM
I think I'd rather have Sandwich.

Pugger
08-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Glazer says Leftwitch won the starting job in Tampa. Nuts.

The Bucs can have him! :P