PDA

View Full Version : Lambeau visit suggestions requested

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
My sons and I are doing a "pilgrimage" to Lambeau for the Bengals game and I could use some advice. Actually, it is a weekend to see the Brewers play on Friday night and then the Packers on Sunday. None of us have been to Miller Park and none of us have been to Lambeau since the renovation. My oldest son was the last one to Lambeau some 14 years ago when he was 15.

At any rate, I could use some advice as to best time to arrive, best places to park, Packer related stuff to do before the game, etc. We are staying at my parents Saturday night in the Fox Valley area so we don't have to drive from Milwaukee so early is possible.

Thanks in advance! 8-)

CaptainKickass
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Packers Hall of Fame.

...and have fun!

sheepshead
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
If youre not tailgating per se Fuzzys tail gate near Barts statue is not a bad deal. Fuzzy signs stuff if he's feeling ok too.

Gunakor
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Bart Starr Plaza tailgate party, just a couple blocks east of Lambeau. Starts 3 hrs prior to kickoff. And as the Captain has mentioned, the Packers HOF is always fun - especially if going with the family.

Park where you can find parking. Businesses open up their lots, the locals let you park on thier lawns. Sometimes takes a while to actually get into the stadium now with the tight security, so you would be well to get there early.

MichiganPackerFan
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Actually, it is a weekend to see the Brewers play on Friday night and then the Packers on Sunday. None of us have been to Miller Park and none of us have been to Lambeau since the renovation.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'm pretty sure the Brewers aren't playing baseball this summer. Pretty sure they cancelled the season after making the playoffs last year. Maybe they'll field a team next year though. :roll:

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
My kids and I have great memories of touching the Lombardi era floor bricks on the way out of the tunnel. Now that I think about it, I was more moved by my trip to Lambeau than my trip to the Vatican.

]{ilr]3
08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
My family and I really enjoyed the Stadium Tour. They take you through the player entrance tunnel to the field. They let us run through as they played crowd noise in the tunnel. It was really kinda fun. And the let us touch the turf. :worship:

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Packers Hall of Fame.

...and have fun!

Packers Hall of Fame is a for sure. Thanks!

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
If youre not tailgating per se Fuzzys tail gate near Barts statue is not a bad deal. Fuzzy signs stuff if he's feeling ok too.

Naw...its just the three of us so we aren't tailgating. So I will have to check out Fuzzy's. Know the fee for the tailgate? Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Bart Starr Plaza tailgate party, just a couple blocks east of Lambeau. Starts 3 hrs prior to kickoff. And as the Captain has mentioned, the Packers HOF is always fun - especially if going with the family.

Park where you can find parking. Businesses open up their lots, the locals let you park on thier lawns. Sometimes takes a while to actually get into the stadium now with the tight security, so you would be well to get there early.

Thanks Gunakor. Info is much appreciated. Its funny talking to my sons about the trip...they are in their mid/late 20s and you would swear they were 10. They are really excited. I don't think getting there 3 hours early is going to be a problem. :mrgreen:

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Actually, it is a weekend to see the Brewers play on Friday night and then the Packers on Sunday. None of us have been to Miller Park and none of us have been to Lambeau since the renovation.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'm pretty sure the Brewers aren't playing baseball this summer. Pretty sure they cancelled the season after making the playoffs last year. Maybe they'll field a team next year though. :roll:

The last time I saw them play was in Milwaukee was in '95. But I saw them the last 2 years prior to this year here in Atlanta. Last one was a gem by Sheets. Dude could pitch...when healthy.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
My kids and I have great memories of touching the Lombardi era floor bricks on the way out of the tunnel. Now that I think about it, I was more moved by my trip to Lambeau than my trip to the Vatican.

I could see a trip to Lambeau being more moving for me that a trip to the Vatican...and I was Catholic...at one time...more or less.

They don't do the stadium tours on Sunday, right? I mean I can't see them doing tours on game day.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
{ilr]3]My family and I really enjoyed the Stadium Tour. They take you through the player entrance tunnel to the field. They let us run through as they played crowd noise in the tunnel. It was really kinda fun. And the let us touch the turf. :worship:

Actually, I should have said none of us have been to a GAME since the renovation. My son was up this summer for some insurance meeting and they took the whole group on the tour along with the crowd noise.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM

I could see a trip to Lambeau being more moving for me that a trip to the Vatican...and I was Catholic...at one time...more or less.

I figure as long as we feel plenty guilty about it - it's all good.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM

I figure as long as we feel plenty guilty about it - it's all good.

"For your penance, say three Hail Mary's, three Our Father's..." :oops:

I know...I'm going to fry! :cry:

Spaulding
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
So many things to do, so little time :)

As already mentioned, Packer Hall of Fame is awesome. Seeing the Lombardi trophies at the end always sends chills up my spine.

Stadium tour is always good (better since the 2003 renovation) and I recently ran into Aaron Rodgers in the elevator going to the 4th floor of the atrium which was very cool (need to post the picture). Our tour guide said he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet which is always great to hear. That being said, if it was during training camp or prior to game weekend you run the good chance of bumping into a player doing an interview. The prior note on the players tunnel and the piping of music is cool as is the chance to get pictures of the family in Lambeau for Christmas card :)

We've always parked just NW of the stadium in a Church parking lot (off of St. Agnes Drive). Good cause and cheap ($10) and maybe 7-8 block walk.

Freak Out
08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
The Stadium tour and the Packer Hall of Fame are fantastic....and there is this great Custard/hamburger joint......? Ziggy? Retail? Madtown? Joe? Help please.

GrnBay007
08-26-2009, 05:33 PM

They don't do the stadium tours on Sunday, right? I mean I can't see them doing tours on game day.

No, they don't do stadium tours on game day.....but if there is anyway you can go the day before or the day after it is SO WELL WORTH IT!

I don't know if the team always has a meeting the evening before a game, but a couple years ago when I took my kids we went to Lambeau as soon as we got in town. It was around 7-8pm and since we hadn't eaten dinner we decided to get a sandwich at Curly's Pub at Lambeau. We sat by a window overlooking the players parking lot and noticed quite a few people gathering down there. As soon as we finished we went down by the small crowd where they were getting player autographs as the players left the parking lot. Kids got some autographs and got to talk with Bubba Franks a bit...which they thought was really great.

Bretsky
08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
1. Stadium Tour on Saturday and HOF after

Everything else is a bonus. If you have never been to Lambeau I'd walk around and take in the scenery

Stadium View Bar is Cool, Brett Favre Steakhouse is cool, there is a new bar that is amazing as well but I can't recall the name

retailguy
08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
The Stadium tour and the Packer Hall of Fame are fantastic....and there is this great Custard/hamburger joint......? Ziggy? Retail? Madtown? Joe? Help please.

Krolls. Got one on the east side, and got one on the west side too.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM

Something must be wrong with me. I didn't like it there. And I really wanted to like it after all the hype.

retailguy
08-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Something must be wrong with me. I didn't like it there. And I really wanted to like it after all the hype.

then you should go to Storheims. Damn good custard. I prefer Krolls, but I'm old school Wisconsin. :wink:

jpompo
08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes Krolls is great and right across from the stadium on the west side. I don't think there is any need to pay for parking. If you're planning on getting there early you can park less than 1/2 mile away for free on the street, I used to do it all the time when I was 16 and didn't think my parents tailgates were worth waking up at 7 am for. This will likely be easiest on the west side of the stadium, Blue Ridge, Valley View, April, Orrie etc. I've never come in from outside of the "city" but I'd assume you're taking 41 up from the FV, I wouldn't exit on Lombardi, probably get off at Waube/Oneida and then take Oneida to Pilgrim, then take Ridge to the area I described. Should be better traffic.

If you have to pee go to the endzones. This is a little known fact but super helpful. The endzone bathrooms are more than 2x the size of those between the 10's. I can't count the number of times I've run (literally, if you see a 6'4" dude sprinting to a bathroom after a punt that's me) from my seats to the endzone, pissed, run back and not missed a play while watching people still wait in line at the closer bathroom.

sheepshead
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Naw...its just the three of us so we aren't tailgating. So I will have to check out Fuzzy's. Know the fee for the tailgate? Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

you can google fuzzys place-i dont recall, but its all you can eat and drink

Freak Out
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM

then you should go to Storheims. Damn good custard. I prefer Krolls, but I'm old school Wisconsin. :wink:

I thought we went to Storheims? Hell....I can't remember...I got lost and had to call for directions and you guys were almost done eating by the time I got there. Custard was pretty tasty though......

Freak Out
08-26-2009, 06:58 PM

you can google fuzzys place-i dont recall, but its all you can eat and drink

Fuzzy was cool and I liked the way he groped Ziggy and GBM. :lol:

Place was smokey as hell....everyplace in GB was like that....it's probably better now that they have banned smoking.

retailguy
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM

I thought we went to Storheims? Hell....I can't remember...I got lost and had to call for directions and you guys were almost done eating by the time I got there. Custard was pretty tasty though......

Sorry, yeah we did. Ziggy and Madtown wanted custard. You mentioned burgers... Burgers makes me think of Krolls.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 08:03 PM

As already mentioned, Packer Hall of Fame is awesome. Seeing the Lombardi trophies at the end always sends chills up my spine.

Stadium tour is always good (better since the 2003 renovation) and I recently ran into Aaron Rodgers in the elevator going to the 4th floor of the atrium which was very cool (need to post the picture). Our tour guide said he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet which is always great to hear. That being said, if it was during training camp or prior to game weekend you run the good chance of bumping into a player doing an interview. The prior note on the players tunnel and the piping of music is cool as is the chance to get pictures of the family in Lambeau for Christmas card :)

We've always parked just NW of the stadium in a Church parking lot (off of St. Agnes Drive). Good cause and cheap ($10) and maybe 7-8 block walk.

Wouldn't remember the name of the church, would you. I can put it into the Garmin. What's the good cause? Do the proceeds go to the church?

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 08:04 PM

I didn't get any custard there. I thought I was supposed to get the butter burger.

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Mmmmm. Custard. Haven't had good custard since we left Milwaukee. Gilley's. Mmmmmmm

AtlPackFan
08-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes Krolls is great and right across from the stadium on the west side. I don't think there is any need to pay for parking. If you're planning on getting there early you can park less than 1/2 mile away for free on the street, I used to do it all the time when I was 16 and didn't think my parents tailgates were worth waking up at 7 am for. This will likely be easiest on the west side of the stadium, Blue Ridge, Valley View, April, Orrie etc. I've never come in from outside of the "city" but I'd assume you're taking 41 up from the FV, I wouldn't exit on Lombardi, probably get off at Waube/Oneida and then take Oneida to Pilgrim, then take Ridge to the area I described. Should be better traffic.

If you have to pee go to the endzones. This is a little known fact but super helpful. The endzone bathrooms are more than 2x the size of those between the 10's. I can't count the number of times I've run (literally, if you see a 6'4" dude sprinting to a bathroom after a punt that's me) from my seats to the endzone, pissed, run back and not missed a play while watching people still wait in line at the closer bathroom.

This is funny...but isn't. I lived outside Green Bay until I went to college when I was 18. I know Appleton, Kimberly, Little Chute, Kaukauna, etc. like the back of my hand but I don't know DePere or Green Bay at all. So I have no idea where these streets you mention are. We will probably just put "Lambeau" in the Garmin and see where it takes us! :oops:

retailguy
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM

I didn't get any custard there. I thought I was supposed to get the butter burger.

<sigh> Ok, I've botched this one and confused everyone, except, well, me.

Yes, you were supposed to get the butter burger at Krolls. Their desserts are something like your grandma probably made. Cheesecake, carrot cake, chocolate cake, and homemade pies... I loved the carrot cake. But, Krolls, for me at least, was all about the burgers. Then again, I loved the toasted bun too. Might not be your thing.... if not, try Culvers, that's more "mainstream".

Storheims is all about the custard. Their food isn't bad, but it's the custard that put the place on the map. We went to Storheims for the custard. I wanted to go to Krolls. Ziggy & Madtown wanted custard. Madtown hadn't had any since he'd been in Wisconsin. That's almost a crime. :wink:

when freak talked about Custard/Burgers, I read burgers. For me, Burgers=Krolls. I ignored the custard part.

Sorry for the confusion... :wink:

Spaulding
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Wouldn't remember the name of the church, would you. I can put it into the Garmin. What's the good cause? Do the proceeds go to the church?

My memory on that isn't the best but should be able to talk to my Brother-in-law since his is and get it. I assume the proceeds go to the Church since I believe it's patrons that volunteer to work the parking lot. I'll try and verify that as well.

Also, as 007 noted, sitting at Curly's is cool during off days when players might be walking into Stadium from their East side parking lot. Just the other day saw probably a dozen Packers show up and walk into the 1st floor entrance they use. Most I didn't recognize but did so Pop, Hawk and Harris. Hawk is a class act (or at least he was on this day). He was almost to the entrance when a few fans (maybe half a dozen die hards were by the South fence and he turned about and walked over there and signed and chatted for a bit before heading back in. Many of the other Packers just ignored them.

Oh, almost forgot. I know you mentioned your kids were older but the Frozen Tundra Zone (or whatever they call it) which is in the East parking lot is very sweet for little ones. They have a few inflatables under roof that can occupy kids for a while. Also put them in jersey's and helmets for pictures and have flat screens for us adults to check sports while letting the rugrats burn off some energy.

MJZiggy
08-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Mmmmm. Custard. Haven't had good custard since we left Milwaukee. Gilley's. Mmmmmmm

Kopps...Mmmmm.

Freak, don't knock Fuzzy's. Best offer I've had in a while...
:lol: I still haven't seen the pictures from there though!

AtlPackFan
08-27-2009, 08:10 AM

My memory on that isn't the best but should be able to talk to my Brother-in-law since his is and get it. I assume the proceeds go to the Church since I believe it's patrons that volunteer to work the parking lot. I'll try and verify that as well.

Also, as 007 noted, sitting at Curly's is cool during off days when players might be walking into Stadium from their East side parking lot. Just the other day saw probably a dozen Packers show up and walk into the 1st floor entrance they use. Most I didn't recognize but did so Pop, Hawk and Harris. Hawk is a class act (or at least he was on this day). He was almost to the entrance when a few fans (maybe half a dozen die hards were by the South fence and he turned about and walked over there and signed and chatted for a bit before heading back in. Many of the other Packers just ignored them.

Oh, almost forgot. I know you mentioned your kids were older but the Frozen Tundra Zone (or whatever they call it) which is in the East parking lot is very sweet for little ones. They have a few inflatables under roof that can occupy kids for a while. Also put them in jersey's and helmets for pictures and have flat screens for us adults to check sports while letting the rugrats burn off some energy.

Yeah, my "kids" are 29 and 24. I think I will try to keep them away from the Frozen Tundra Zone. I might never be able to get them out before the game. :mrgreen:

If you come across the name of the church, let me know. Thanks!

GBRulz
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
If you come across the name of the church, let me know. Thanks!

I believe you are referring to Pilgrim Lutheran Church on St. Agnes Drive. Why anyone pays to park there is beyond me because of you go one or two blocks to the north, there is tons of free parking. I only live two blocks from there actually and nobody pays for parking on my street. Yet, if you cross over Lombardi people pay to park further away...it's crazy. Where you want to park though is dependent upon what you want to do and see. Sure, you can park for free if you don't mind a 15 minute walk.

I would highly suggest the Tailgate area right inside Lambeau Field (parking lot, that is). It was new last year. I did that for the Bears game last year because there were only 4 of us and we didn't feel like dragging out all the tailgating items. You pay $5 to get in and then everything is pretty much "pay as you go." LeRoy Butler was there (there is always some ex-Packer signing auto's) and we got our pic taken with him. That was included in the admission charge. But they have a full bar inside, food, Pro Shop items, etc.

In fact, I'm going to the Bears and Bengals game this year also. Last games I can go to before I move south :( SOOOO, if you end up at that Tailgating area I just mentioned, let me know, I'll be there, I'm sure.

Someone mentioned something about a smoking ban. That doesn't hit WI until July 2010. So, you'll have to put up with our smoke-filled bars until then. Also, Storheims Frozen Custard no longer exists. It was sold last fall. The new owners turned it into an upscale Sonic type place though (Car-hop service) it's really cool.

No tours or anything like that on game day. In fact, you can only get into the atrium (where all these things are) on game day if you have a ticket, even if it's a night game.

Kroll's West is a must. Don't bother with Kroll's on the east side. The two places are not related like people assume. You should also check out Chili John's, you may have heard John Madden rave about it a time...or twenty :)

Feel free to PM me with any further questions. Seeing that where I'm moving to is two hours away from Atlanta, I'm sure I'll be bothering you with things to do and see in your town, as well. :)

oregonpackfan
08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Like others, I recommend both the Stadium tour the day before and the HOF game.

Be sure to hit the gift shop. The two story gift shop is highly impressive. Most of the clothing items are overpriced, IMO, but the variety of all the items is amazing. Both of my daughters are non-Packer fans but they bought Packer items there. One bought a Lambeau Field hoodie which she proudly showed off at college. The other bought a pink Favre jersey which she regularly wore to school on casual Fridays.

Merlin
08-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I have never done one of the tailgating parties at any of the establishments. My family and I really enjoyed tailgating with the other fans, whipping out our grill, beer, whatever. The entire experience is what you make of it and what interests you. There is a lot to see and do in Green Bay, it is a neat city, you won't be lacking stuff to do. As far as where to park and all of that, that really depends on what your goal is. If you want to mingle with other fans, park semi-close and you can take in all the tailgating on your way to whatever party you are attending. You might even be full by the time you get where you are going. Where you park isn't all that important for getting out of the game quickly, things flow pretty fast once the game is done. If you park far away to avoid the crowds, which really isn't THAT far and stick to main roads, you will just have to deal with foot traffic.

jpompo
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM

This is funny...but isn't. I lived outside Green Bay until I went to college when I was 18. I know Appleton, Kimberly, Little Chute, Kaukauna, etc. like the back of my hand but I don't know DePere or Green Bay at all. So I have no idea where these streets you mention are. We will probably just put "Lambeau" in the Garmin and see where it takes us! :oops:

I wasn't assuming you would know where any of these streets are but 2 minutes on google maps will solve that problem easily.

sheepshead
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM

$25 a head. Pretty good chicken sands cheeseburgers etc and plenty of beer. a DJ etc

http://www.titletowntickets.com/p/tailgate-party

AtlPackFan
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM

I wasn't assuming you would know where any of these streets are but 2 minutes on google maps will solve that problem easily.

I didn't assume that you did assume...just thought it was funny that I lived that close to Green Bay and don't know it all so I shared...probably shouldn't have. Sorry if it sounded like a rebuke...didn't mean for it to.