PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga

Brando19
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/54881887.html

Here's a very good article on the relationship between Poppinga and coach Kevin Greene. I believe Poppinga has a chance to be the best linebacker on the team. He's played extremely well in the preseason and seems to be hell on wheels in the 3-4 scheme. I'm cheering for him.

CaptainKickass
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I like Brady as far as his intensity and motor. He has played well at times, but I recall some whiffs and other mistakes that kept him from being in the top 20% of LB's.

That article makes it seem as if Coach Greene has found his "Mini-Me".

If there's anyone who can potentially teach Poppy how to be an outstanding OLB in the 3-4 scheme, it's Coach Greene.

Bretsky
08-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I've never thought Poppinga had the talent to be anything more than an average LB. Great motor, great intensity, but limited upside

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I believe Poppinga has a chance to be the best linebacker on the team . :shock:

Patler
08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I've never thought Poppinga had the talent to be anything more than an average LB. Great motor, great intensity, but limited upside

No sense even worrying about upside with Poppinga. He is fast approaching his downside. Will be 30 in less than a month. The oldest linebacker they have.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Is this what they mean by "fluff piece"?

retailguy
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM

This made me laugh out loud! :D

Lurker64
08-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Poppinga will definitely do well as a hold-over at least until Matthews is ready to go. I think Matthews and Greene will form a similar sort of bond over the years.

Brando19
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM

That's fine...we'll just have to pull this thread up again later in the season.

Bretsky
08-26-2009, 07:09 PM
We all hope you are right Brando; I just think he's that starter you are always looking for more talent out of......like a Bigby

Scott Campbell
08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
We all hope you are right Brando;

Not everybody. He played at BYU.

rbaloha1
08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Is this what they mean by "fluff piece"?

It is. Nonetheless BP is playing well and deserves to start.

Brando19
08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
We all hope you are right Brando;

Not everybody. He played at BYU.

He PLAYS for the Packers.

:lol: I wasn't high on Poppinga last year...I figured he'd be cut by now...but this 3-4 seems to have changed him. I believe he'll flourish. Maybe I'm wrong and he bombs and gets cut...but I'm going out on a limb and saying he'll be a dominant player for the playoff bound Packers.

BobDobbs
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Poppinga is great at running into things and bad at running around them.

Our run defense is better with him on the field and MM stressed that in the offseason. He works as hard as anyone and watching him being interviewed is a great time.

But he's clearly not our best linebacker. The team has never wanted him on the field for all three downs. Zone coverage may help him out a bit, but is he ever going to get to the quarterback? I know that in the article Greene sounds excited about his aggressive style. I'm just not. He runs into the blockers and then never gets away.

I hope that by midseason at the latest Mathews is on the field in that spot. We won' be quite as stout at the point on the run, but our pass defense will be much more intimidating.

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
:lol: I wasn't high on Poppinga last year...I figured he'd be cut by now...but this 3-4 seems to have changed him. I believe he'll flourish. Maybe I'm wrong and he bombs and gets cut...but I'm going out on a limb and saying he'll be a dominant player for the playoff bound Packers.

If it shows anything, a good coach can really change a player. Can't wait to see how it translates to the regular season.

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM

No sense even worrying about upside with Poppinga. He is fast approaching his downside. Will be 30 in less than a month. The oldest linebacker they have.

If he's almost 30 and was drafted in 2005, that means he was 25 when he was drafted. It seems like there's a couple years of a gap between college and the draft or high school and college. What's the story?

Patler
08-27-2009, 08:38 AM

If he's almost 30 and was drafted in 2005, that means he was 25 when he was drafted. It seems like there's a couple years of a gap between college and the draft or high school and college. What's the story?

Two year Mormon mission after HS and before college.

SkinBasket
08-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Poppinga is great at running into things and bad at running around them.

Unless it's the guy he's supposed to be tackling.

Fritz
08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Poppinga: "Exactly, coach. That's exactly what I mean! You so....get me. I.....I've never been with a coach like you before."

Greene; "We're so alike. We think the same way, Brady. And I love the way you listen to me!"

A linebacker and his coach. It's a beautiful thang.

mraynrand
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Looking at this article and others, it seems obvious the Packers are going to be running a lot of different sub packages on D. Teams in the division (Chicago, MN, and that other team) probably will want to work on their no-huddle. Specialization could work against the Packers at some point - against the more sophisticated offenses with the more experienced QBs.

Fritz
08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I was thinking the same. A no-huddle run expertly while the Packers are subbing for their sub packages could work well. A wide open receiver running down the sideline...Al Harris and Nick Collins jawing afterward while the opposing team celebrates.

God I hope not.

So...which teams regularly run the no-huddle and have a veteran QB who has been with his team for awhile?

CaptainKickass
08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
So...which teams regularly run the no-huddle and have a veteran QB who has been with his team for awhile?

Indy
Pats

immediately come to mind.

mraynrand
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Indy
Pats

I was also thinking of Bert Favre

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/grandpa/images/pics/grandpa_4-28-07_num3.jpg

Fritz
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Indy
Pats

I was also thinking of Bert Favre

That's Brent Favre, dummy.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/grandpa/images/pics/grandpa_4-28-07_num3.jpg