PDA

View Full Version : Finley, Lee in tight race

Partial
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/55223972.html

Waldo
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
I think the real competition is Jones/Nelson vs. Lee/Finley.

That 2 TE set has been a Juggernaught. Unlike the 3-4 wides, it is also an ideal run set.

I think that our backup WR's are going to see a noticeable drop in production. They are the big losers with Finley breaking out, not Lee.

digitaldean
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Finley, if he can stay healthy, is going to be a potent weapon.

He was making safeties look God-awful silly in the Buffalo game. They couldn't keep up with him. Hopefully the competition can light a fire under Donald Lee and keep him striving to improve.

Maybe a lot more 2 TE sets this year?

rbaloha1
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
IMO Jones has already won the #3 position. Agree that who starts at te is irrelevant due to the numerous 2 te sets.

KYPack
08-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah.

That 2 TE set with Finley running a shallow cross?

MM has got that one filed in his "Big Play" list.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I expect MM will keep Finley 2nd string on the depth chart as a motivator, don't want him feeling satisfied just yet. Not sure if Lee is a better blocker, since Finley has reportedly made strides. Finley will be the starter in good time.

Tarlam!
08-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Can't help but love D-Lee's attitude.

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I expect MM will keep Finley 2nd string on the depth chart as a motivator, don't want him feeling satisfied just yet. Not sure if Lee is a better blocker, since Finley has reportedly made strides. Finley will be the starter in good time.

I have a feeling that you're right on HH. You know what they say about sun shining on a dog's ass....

MadScientist
08-27-2009, 01:11 PM

That 2 TE set has been a Juggernaught. Unlike the 3-4 wides, it is also an ideal run set.

I think that our backup WR's are going to see a noticeable drop in production. They are the big losers with Finley breaking out, not Lee.
Wonder if they will try putting in 2 TE in a short yardage situation to get the defense in a run stopping package and then go pass-happy no-huddle after that.

Fritz
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
How about a two-tight end, three-wide receiver formation, with Mike Vick at the QB spot? He could pass! He could run!

Oh, wait. They didn't sign Mike Vick.

Never mind.

mraynrand
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
How about a two-tight end, three-wide receiver formation, with Mike Vick at the QB spot? He could pass! He could run!.

Well, not so much.

bobblehead
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM

I agree Waldo. All the talk about finley being a willing and hard working blocker has me worked up. If he and lee are solid blockers and above average recievers this could be a really fun season to watch.

Partial
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM

I agree Waldo. All the talk about finley being a willing and hard working blocker has me worked up. If he and lee are solid blockers and above average recievers this could be a really fun season to watch.

That said, I could easily see them putting up huge rushing yards and connecting deep often to Jennings from this set. Play action will be bullet proof if they can establish the run. This is the set that will keep D's in a major pickel, as you cannot cover Fins with an LB, and he will blow up a safety on a run. Pickel.

Fritz
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
How about a two-tight end, three-wide receiver formation, with Mike Vick at the QB spot? He could pass! He could run!.

Well, not so much.

The only thing better would be having Vick drop-kick a field goal from the 35 out of that formation.

KYPack
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Bobble, I'm surprised.
Figured you be the one "destroying the myth".
He hasn't learned how to block.
He's starting to learn how to block.
Finley doesn't have engage, sustain, and finish down yet.
He's learned how to engage.
That's a 100% improvement from last year when he didn't know anything about that skill.

mraynrand
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Play action will be bullet proof if they can establish the run.

Hey, it's Dan Fouts!

Packers4Ever
08-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah.

That 2 TE set with Finley running a shallow cross?

MM has got that one filed in his "Big Play" list.

I could not believe those were our guys last Sat. night, running
the show and making the Bills look like a bunch of "has-beens".
I see the biggest change in Finley, especially his mouth :) is now
under control but both he and Lee were in charge of the D and Aaron was
spectacular !

Can't wait for tomorrow night to watch our guys wiping up the field
with the Cards, a replay from last week, I hope. :!:

Fritz
08-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Bobble, I'm surprised.
That's a 100% improvement from last year when he didn't know anything about that skill.

If he learns these skills he will also be killer in bed.

CaptainKickass
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Bobble, I'm surprised.

If he learns these skills he will also be killer in bed.

Hmmm -

Do I detect a "man-crush" that Fritz has on Finley?

Or a little "Bromance" in the late August air?

:lol: :lol:

Sometimes, I kill me.

pasquale
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM

That said, I could easily see them putting up huge rushing yards and connecting deep often to Jennings from this set. Play action will be bullet proof if they can establish the run. This is the set that will keep D's in a major pickle, as you cannot cover Fins with an LB, and he will blow up a safety on a run. Pickle.

That Pickle is so hot right now. Pickle.

woodbuck27
08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I hope J. Finley stays healthy. If he does I expect him to show us alot this season. He has excellent athleticism and big play potential. He's out TE of the future and that could be immediate future.

GO PACKERS!

packerbacker1234
08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Lee will be hte starter, he still appears to be more solid in the blocking scheme, however, Finley is making a strong case for us to run a lot of two TE sets instead of the 4 WR set all the time, as it opens up more plays.

Really, him being what he is just adds a whole new "direction" for this offense. We'll always have the spread, but now our two TE formation can become the spread, or bust a 30 yard run.

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 02:14 AM
I gotta eat some crow, as I did NOT expect Finley to be this good, this quick..

Yet, damn...that kid is at 22 years old a force for the passing Offense. Lee is a top 15 TE (with his pass catching and underrated blocking) yet Finley has been just glue catching the ball, routes, speed, instincts, etc....not to mention his blocking has been pretty good (seen him lay some licks in the first 3 preseason games thus far).

Give him a year or two, and he might be mentioned as an elite force at TE. I really, really like this kid. Damn...I like him so much, I gotta give him a nickname...JFin from now on. My bad, this kid is a force.