PDA

View Full Version : Zeke and Bob Bratkowski

woodbuck27
07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Posted July 18, 2006

Chris Havel column:

It's like father, like son for Bratkowskis

Zeke and Bob Bratkowski share more than a passion for football.

They share a work ethic, a fondness for Green Bay and the Packers, and a mutual love and admiration.

When I asked Zeke what it is about Bob that makes him proudest, he neither hesitated nor gave the response I expected. He could have said it is that his son is the Cincinnati Bengals' offensive coordinator.

Rather, he said it is that Bob never once asked him for a job recommendation, or to pull strings, or to call in a favor. Not when he became an assistant coach at Missouri in 1978. Not when he became the offensive coordinator at the University of Miami in 1987. Not when he became the Bengals' play caller in 2001.

"He just kept going up the ladder through his ability of being a good coach," Zeke said. "It's all based on the qualities that he has."

In turn, Bob is proud of his father for many things, including a 14-year NFL career that included seven seasons as Bart Starr's backup in Green Bay. More recently, it is that Zeke, at 74, continues to impart wisdom on prospective NFL quarterbacks.

Zeke has worked with Michael Vick, Patrick Ramsey and Phillip Rivers, among others, to help bridge the gap between college and the NFL. His most recent pupil is San Diego rookie Charlie Whitehurst, the son of ex-Packers quarterback David Whitehurst.

"He catches them in that transition from the last college game to an all-star game, and then he starts to get their mind triggered into the NFL," Bob said. "What NFL people are looking at, how they are going to test them, what they expect. He gets their mind flowing into that type of transition."

Zeke and Bob were in Green Bay Sunday and Monday to play in the Ray Nitschke NFL Players Golf Classic. At Sunday evening's celebrity reception, the Bratkowskis swapped stories with Carroll Dale, Mike McCoy and Whitehurst.

The Packers, and football, dominated the conversation.

Not surprisingly, Bob listened intently to the terrific tales of eras gone by. The 50-year-old NFL coach was not so different than the wide-eyed kid who used to munch popcorn in the basement while Starr and his father watched reel upon reel of game film.

"I don't know what I learned, but something soaked in," Bob said. "It might've been the work ethic."

Zeke and Bob spent part of Sunday sightseeing in Green Bay, where Bob went to high school and spent parts of seven years of his youth. He was impressed with the renovated Lambeau Field, and with the way the area has grown.

"This is the first time I've been back in 20 years," he said. "If Dad hadn't been driving, I would've gotten lost a couple of times."

After all these years, Zeke is still showing Bob the way, and leaving the rest up to him. He did, however, take the chance to brag just a bit.

"He's a really good coach," Zeke said. "I'm prejudiced, but he's head coach material."