PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Stone

Partial
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Anybody use one of these?

How do I do these two things:

1. Transfer pizza dough from counter to stone when it is still somewhat sticky after shaping

2. After pre-cooking dough, how do I remove pizza dough to apply ingredients without removing stone?

HowardRoark
08-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Anybody use one of these?

How do I do these two things:

1. Transfer pizza dough from counter to stone when it is still somewhat sticky after shaping

2. After pre-cooking dough, how do I remove pizza dough to apply ingredients without removing stone?

Roll out the dough with flour on your counter, put some corn meal on the peel, put dough on the peel...slide dough off of peel onto stone. Take dough out using peel.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/hello/259/958/640/DSC_0336_copy.jpg

http://www.armchair.com/store/gourmet/baking/peel1.jpg

Freak Out
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
They are the only way to make pizza at home. Pre heat the oven to about 400-450 and follow Roarks simple directions. Do you have a good dough recipe?

Partial
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
The pizza tastes amazing on its own on a cookie sheet. The element of the equation missing is the peel. How much does one of those run?

This sauce is good but could be better
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jays-Signature-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/Ultimate-Pizza-Sauce-114392

Any insight on either? My pizza is so effin good but could go to the next level. Got a pizza stone for my birthday and pizza experiments.

Partial
08-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Anybody have a link to a peel that can hold a 16" pizza diameter? I'm not seeing anything on Amazon. Is the solution to make smaller pizza?

Jimx29
08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Years ago I bought a pampered chef pizza stone, and the second time using it I had it in the oven preheating and the fuckin thing blew up. POS

Now, if/when I have a pizza, most of the time it's grilled
http://www.papamurphysgrilling.com/grillToGreat.php

Tyrone Bigguns
08-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Pizza stones are for those who don't have the best pizza in america in their city.

Ty does, Ty gave up his stone.

HowardRoark
08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
The pizza tastes amazing on its own on a cookie sheet. The element of the equation missing is the peel. How much does one of those run?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jays-Signature-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Any insight on either? My pizza is so effin good but could go to the next level. Got a pizza stone for my birthday and pizza experiments.

Just buy some of this and open a can.....

http://gecatalogimages.meijer.com/000/73630/0007363001234.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I use my stone for homemade bread. However I was leaving it in the oven permanently and it very quickly got quite dirty. Is there any way to clean them? Im considering leaving it in the oven during a cleaning cycle, but I fear the heat will crack it.

SkinBasket
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
We've been using the same one for like 10 years. It's nice and easy and you never have to clean it.

MichiganPackerFan
08-28-2009, 08:38 AM
We've been using the same one for like 10 years. It's nice and easy and you never have to clean it.

My wife was cooking something that ended up exploding all over the stone. Brushed whatever char we could off of it, but the effects at qround zero are still there. My thoughts are that it doesn't matter a whole lot if it's charred or stained, but I would hate for those flavors to taint the bread that I worked so hard on. Maybe I'll just grab a silpat.

retailguy
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.bakingstone.com/faq.php

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Partial.....step up your game.

Snake even bakes potatoes off of this shit. Anything cooks/bakes off a Pizzaz Pizza Oven. $39.99 at Walmart....Best thing I bought EVER. Fuck starting an oven. AMAZING invention this side of a microwave.

Partial
08-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Partial.....step up your game.

Snake even bakes potatoes off of this shit. Anything cooks/bakes off a Pizzaz Pizza Oven. $39.99 at Walmart....Best thing I bought EVER. Fuck starting an oven. AMAZING invention this side of a microwave.

A buddy of mine had one of those the second year of college. Those things are money.

pasquale
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I agree on the pizzaz...that thing cures cancer.

As for the stone, they are quite nice, but expensive. Save yourself some money and just buy some quarry tile. It's the same exact thing.

Make sure that it's not glazed, and it will cost you about 2 bucks instead of 30 for a pizza stone. Not to mention it will be square and a bit larger for other tasks. If you can't find a big enough slab, just get a few pieces.

Jimx29
09-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Pizzaz! Not just for pizzas!! :P

Full size tatter tots?? 9-10 minutes
Mini-tater tots? 6 minutes
Hash browns?? 4-5 minutes
Fish sticks?? Knock off 2-3 minutes from what they suggest for the oven time. Same for fish fillet type thingys.

Little Whiskey
09-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Fish sticks?? Knock off 2-3 minutes from what they suggest for the oven time. Same for fish fillet type thingys.

when I was working at menards we got a shippment of those in. The store mgr made us buy 100 pizzas to demo the thing. the hardware dept smelled like jack's pizza for a week!! back then I would never have thought of buying a pizzaz at Menards.......now you pizza milk and lumber all at the same place. maybe next, they put in the liquor dept?

MichiganPackerFan
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Wow, you really DON'T cook, do you? :D

Tyrone Bigguns
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM

What are you talking about? He has clearly mastered fried pre-cooked potatoes.

Little Whiskey
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM

......and fish by-product

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM

That post did seem to have "bachelor" written all over it.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Let's not be hasty here, my friend.

Gortons, mr. paul, etc. have a multitude of pre cooked seafood products...as of now all we know is he has sticks down pat.

I'm not willing to go out on a limb and say he has mastered: classic crunchy golden filets, garlic & herb filets, potato crunch filets, lemon herb breaded filets, popcorn shrimp, etc.

MichiganPackerFan
09-02-2009, 08:05 AM

Gortons, mr. paul, etc. have a multitude of pre cooked seafood products...as of now all we know is he has sticks down pat.

I'm not willing to go out on a limb and say he has mastered: classic crunchy golden filets, garlic & herb filets, potato crunch filets, lemon herb breaded filets, popcorn shrimp, etc.

Point made. And we know nothing of the mastery of the pot pie or frozen burrito either. And let's not even bother moving up two feet to the stove top, home of the ramen, mac & cheese and canned soup. Chef Boyardee, you may have met your match.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Point made. And we know nothing of the mastery of the pot pie or frozen burrito either. And let's not even bother moving up two feet to the stove top, home of the ramen, mac & cheese and canned soup. Chef Boyardee, you may have met your match.

Mac n cheese on the stovetop?

How quaint.

MichiganPackerFan
09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
As for the stone, they are quite nice, but expensive. Save yourself some money and just buy some quarry tile. It's the same exact thing.

Make sure that it's not glazed, and it will cost you about 2 bucks instead of 30 for a pizza stone. Not to mention it will be square and a bit larger for other tasks. If you can't find a big enough slab, just get a few pieces.

I saw the same on Alton Brown's Good Eats. Where do you get the tile and precisely what do you look for?

pasquale
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I got mine at lowes/home depot. I forget which one. You could also try a carpet/tile store.

Basically, just go and ask for unglazed ceramic tiles, aka "quarry tiles". It's slight misleading because I think of quarry as stone tiles, not ceramic. You are looking for tiles that have that clay orange type color. Mine is terracotta but they call it "quarry tile." Try to get something at least 1/2" thick (1" is ideal). JUST MAKE SURE IT'S UNGLAZED, otherwise it'll probably be toxic. Stay away from cement as well.

I'm sure you can order some online but I'm sure the shipping wouldn't be worth it.

Hope this helps.

Administrator
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Pasquale,

Is this what they're looking for?

http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/saltillo/

SkinBasket
09-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Years ago I bought a pampered chef pizza stone, and the second time using it I had it in the oven preheating and the fuckin thing blew up. POS

Now, if/when I have a pizza, most of the time it's grilled
http://www.papamurphysgrilling.com/grillToGreat.php

I actually finally looked at the bottom of ours and it's a pampered chef model via TJ Maxx.

pasquale
09-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Pasquale,

Is this what they're looking for?

http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/saltillo/

sounds like that would work since it's clay, but it seems kinda high quality and expensive (just a guess). but that's the color you are looking for.

Partial
10-10-2009, 04:11 PM
This was the best gift I've gotten in a while.

I've been using this pizza crust with organic whole wheat flour and whatever I can find around the house for the remainder of the ingredients. One thing that I do that isn't listed is really work the heck out of the dough. I kneed it as hard and as fast as I can for 10 minutes before I place it in the bowl to rise, and then again after. It really enhances the quality of the dough in my opinion.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/detail.aspx

I've been making this sauce. It's very good if you take the time to really cook down the onion and celery. Very flavorful and thick.

I then use Clement's italian sausage (support local companies), green pepper and pepperoni. I pre-cook the pepperoni and then wipe the oil off. This makes it really nice and crispy, just the way I like it.

The pizza stone results in AMAZING crust. It's so freaking good. I'm extremely pleased with this.

pasquale
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
This was the best gift I've gotten in a while.

I've been using this pizza crust with organic whole wheat flour and whatever I can find around the house for the remainder of the ingredients. One thing that I do that isn't listed is really work the heck out of the dough. I kneed it as hard and as fast as I can for 10 minutes before I place it in the bowl to rise, and then again after. It really enhances the quality of the dough in my opinion.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/detail.aspx

I've been making this sauce. It's very good if you take the time to really cook down the onion and celery. Very flavorful and thick.

I then use Clement's italian sausage (support local companies), green pepper and pepperoni. I pre-cook the pepperoni and then wipe the oil off. This makes it really nice and crispy, just the way I like it.

The pizza stone results in AMAZING crust. It's so freaking good. I'm extremely pleased with this.

Did you buy a stone or a quarry tile?

FYI: going nuts on kneading the dough is not good for traditional crust, but if you like a tougher, chewy crust, it's perfect! The more you knead, the more gluten, and the tougher it will be.

Partial
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Got the stone for my birthday in august. The dough was crisp on the bottom and fluffy on the inside. It was basically perfect. SO good!

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Got the stone for my birthday in august. The dough was crisp on the bottom and fluffy on the inside. It was basically perfect. SO good!

Who got you a pizza stone for your birthday? How old are you know...? Like 24 maybe?

Partial
10-12-2009, 01:26 AM

Who got you a pizza stone for your birthday? How old are you know...? Like 24 maybe?

Girlfriend got it among other things.. why?

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Ok....that explains it I guess. The nesting instinct.

Partial
10-12-2009, 02:08 AM

Ok....that explains it I guess. The nesting instinct.

What? I asked for it. I've been experimenting with Pizza's for months. I <3 cooking.

3irty1
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
As with anything that you bake your crust recipe will matter less than your method. Go ahead and tweak your recipe to your tastes. Do you like your dough more chewy? Use patent flour or kneed more. Tender? Replace some of your oil with shortening. Crunchier? Cut your AP flour with some semolina or cornmeal. Pizza dough is tough to wreck. For the last couple months I've been making sourdough crust from a starter I grew from wild yeast.

That sauce recipe you posted is pretty complex for my taste. Over a dozen ingredients. I don't believe in a secret sauce and thus mine is a simple blend of seeded steamed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oil. Sometimes I'll add roasted red peppers to my puree for flavor but also to reduce the acidity of straight tomatoes without adding a ton of oil. I've added fresh oregano before but only if I'm not going to use it as a topping. Have to get the oregano in there somehow.

The bottleneck of homemade pizza will always be the oven. Using a stone or lining your oven in tile will probably both help replicate a brick oven used in a professional setup. I find it helpful to give the crust a head start in the oven.

pasquale
10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
3irty1 is a pimp at pizza dough. Listen to him.

SkinBasket
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
3irty is either Papa John or the Noid. No ordinary man can know that much about pizzas.

MJZiggy
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
As with anything that you bake your crust recipe will matter less than your method. Go ahead and tweak your recipe to your tastes. Do you like your dough more chewy? Use patent flour or kneed more. Tender? Replace some of your oil with shortening. Crunchier? Cut your AP flour with some semolina or cornmeal. Pizza dough is tough to wreck. For the last couple months I've been making sourdough crust from a starter I grew from wild yeast.

That sauce recipe you posted is pretty complex for my taste. Over a dozen ingredients. I don't believe in a secret sauce and thus mine is a simple blend of seeded steamed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oil. Sometimes I'll add roasted red peppers to my puree for flavor but also to reduce the acidity of straight tomatoes without adding a ton of oil. I've added fresh oregano before but only if I'm not going to use it as a topping. Have to get the oregano in there somehow.

The bottleneck of homemade pizza will always be the oven. Using a stone or lining your oven in tile will probably both help replicate a brick oven used in a professional setup. I find it helpful to give the crust a head start in the oven.

You don't cut the acidity with a tsp of sugar? That's how I was taught to do it.

Patler
10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I have quit using pizza sauce. Instead, I peel and half tomatoes (fresh off the vine in summer) and partially dry them in the oven (200-250 degrees, 4-6 hours) sprinkled with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper and some turbinado sugar. When I make the pizza, I coat the dough with olive oil, add the tomatoes (more or less depending on my intentions for that particular pie) and add whatever else I want.

I have started using honey in the dough, and I really like it. Adds a whole new flavor.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 08:14 AM
It's on my to-do list to try making homemade pizza for the first time next week, so these suggestions are great! I've done really well with the homemade breads, so it seems this is the natural next step.

GrnBay007
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
It's on my to-do list to try making homemade pizza for the first time next week, so these suggestions are great! I've done really well with the homemade breads, so it seems this is the natural next step.

And here I thought I was the only one who had never made homemade pizza! :D I made it for the first time a few weeks ago and it was just OK. Can't wait to make it again and try some of these suggestions.

3irty1
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM

You don't cut the acidity with a tsp of sugar? That's how I was taught to do it.

To balance the flavor of acid yes but the tomatoes don't physically lose acid just by adding sugar. Peppers cut the sauce and make it less acidic which has other benefits. If you like your cheese gooey and stringy then you could either pile on the cheese, or you could just make the sauce less acidic. If you really don't like the stringy mozzarella then more more acidic sauce will keep it in line. I've even seen people squeeze lemon on top just to stop the cheese from oozing. This isn't for me though, the cheese can take on a waxy texture with too much acid.

Partial
10-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I had no idea you were so proficient in acid, 3irty1. Have any good wheat flour recipes? I'm looking for one.

Freak Out
10-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I love a good red sauce on my pizza on occasion but have also started using home "sun dried" tomatoes that I make in the convection oven as a substitute. A good pesto can't be beat as well.
What types of cheeses does everyone prefer? I use a nice buffalo style mozz and never overload the pie.....sometimes a good smoked provolone. Goat cheese or feta....lots of great cheese to use.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Has anyone made their own mozzarella? I started doing some reading on it, but it seems like quite a complex process.

3irty1
10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm assuming you mean whole wheat flour. I don't make it but you should just be able to sub it for AP flour in whatever recipe you're used to. Just be sure to buy organic and also to knead a ton in a mixer if you've got one. You might add a little honey to your dough as well and cut out some of the oil and all of the sugar if you use it.

pasquale
10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Has anyone made their own mozzarella? I started doing some reading on it, but it seems like quite a complex process.

I haven't made it personally, but I know someone who has. She says it's extremely easy and takes less than an hour. The ingredients can be hard to find, though.

MichiganPackerFan
10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Partial,

Used the pizza sauce recipe you recommended last night. Turned out GREAT! My wife thought it was excellent too. Recently learned that when using dried leaf seasonings (oregano, basil, parsley, etc) it really helps to grind them up in your hands before adding them. Really draws out the flavor.

Pizza was my first attempt. Did sausage & mushroom and it was really good eats!

Partial
10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

MichiganPackerFan
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't want to start a new thread for this:

I've been doing a lot of bread making and am tired of buying small 5 lb bags of flour. Does anyone know where I would start looking to find somewhere where I could buy bulk quantities? Since geography varies, I was looking more at types of stores (the grocery stores have been pretty useless) or DC areas!!!

MJZiggy
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM

I've been doing a lot of bread making and am tired of buying small 5 lb bags of flour. Does anyone know where I would start looking to find somewhere where I could buy bulk quantities? Since geography varies, I was looking more at types of stores (the grocery stores have been pretty useless) or DC areas!!!

Dude!! Costco!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Dude!! Costco!

Yep. Ty knows they sell a 50lb bag. It looks like blow, but trust ty...don't try smoking it.

You can always ask a pizzeria or bakery where they get theirs. Research bakery goods distributor. You could lookup the company yo like up on the net and contact them....quick bit of research reals a Miss Denise DiBattista (Eastern PA/MD/VA/DE) works for GM and can be reached at denise.dibattista@genmills.com. I'm sure a politely worded me asking where to purchase her fine product in the size you require would result in the information you want. She sells flour, you want to buy flour....seems like a match.

Just a fyi, if you are planning to buy 50 lbs or more, you are going to need to STORE it. Best to have that planned out before purchasing. You have a ton of tupperware? :lol:

Hint, head on down to Dunkin or whoever sells a ton of donuts. They will usually sell you their empty pails. They have tons of them from oil, frosting, etc. You need a food grade storage unit, and these are just that....wash them out of course.

Lastly, you gotta factor in spoilage. Flour has a shelf life, their are always some bugs that are gonna get by the milling process, and then there are bugs that are gonna get in at your house.

People who buy bulk flour, generally use it in a timely manner. Truly a case of if you don't use it, you lose it.

MJZiggy
10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Isn't that why you keep it in the freezer for long-term storage?

hoosier
10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Who has enough freezer space for 50 lbs of flour? :shock:

HowardRoark
10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
No self respecting pastry chef would sell a scone or croissant that is 3 or 4 days old.

retailguy
10-26-2009, 07:24 PM

ziggy. 5 pop tarts is enough food for a couple of weeks. :wink: :twisted:

ziggy - you know I am just kidding, right? :oops:

MJZiggy
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM

ziggy. 5 pop tarts is enough food for a couple of weeks. :wink: :twisted:

ziggy - you know I am just kidding, right? :oops:

The worst part is I have a freezer in the basement with plenty of room for 50 lbs of flour!!

And about the pop tarts, you've seen me eat custard!! You know better!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Isn't that why you keep it in the freezer for long-term storage?

Sure. If you have a big enough freezer. Though with any product like that...storage in the freezer or frig, if not properly sealed, can result in obtaining odors, etc.

Most restaurants/bakeries don't store in that..they just use big plastic containers..but, like i said, they use the stuff pretty fast.

Ty has found that buying 10lbs is plenty.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
No self respecting pastry chef would sell a scone or croissant that is 3 or 4 days old.

pastry chefs dont' work with croissant or scones. pastry isn't the same as bread. C'mon Howard.

MichiganPackerFan
10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for providing the good tips! I'm going through well over 5 lbs every two weeks, so I think a 25 lb quantity might be more appropriate. (?) Thanks for the tips on storage Ty - hadn't even thought of that.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for providing the good tips! I'm going through well over 5 lbs every two weeks, so I think a 25 lb quantity might be more appropriate. (?) Thanks for the tips on storage Ty - hadn't even thought of that.

welcome

pasquale
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Do you really want to risk introducing moisture to your flour party by putting it in the freezer?

HowardRoark
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM

pastry chefs dont' work with croissant or scones. pastry isn't the same as bread. C'mon Howard.

The why did you say it?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM

The why did you say it?

Find the quote.

HowardRoark
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM

The why did you say it?

Find the quote.

Same deal as last night if I find it?

HowardRoark
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13471&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 08:06 PM

The why did you say it?

Find the quote.

Same deal as last night if I find it?

Context. I responded to what a pastry chef was doing in HH's post. I just didn't put that part in quotes. The issue was how they worked (transfat) not what they were making. Ty alludes to it with bakery and institutions. No need to dispute the product when the issue was an ingredient.

Your post asked me why i said "it," which confers working equaling selling. They don't. I never said they do.

Partial
12-01-2009, 06:53 AM
3irty1, I made this pizza sauce and need to cut the acidity down. I can feel it in my esophagus today (I think). I'm not sure what heart burn feels like but I imagine this was it. I popped 4 tums this morning in hopes of it going away as I hear that this kind of thing can really mess up your esophagus if you're not careful.

Any suggestions? Add peppers? I add a ton of crushed red pepper to the pizza, but not the sauce. Would adding to the sauce help?

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon fennel seed

Directions
1 In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.

2 Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.

3 Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.

4 Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).

5 Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

3irty1
12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
3irty1, I made this pizza sauce and need to cut the acidity down. I can feel it in my esophagus today (I think). I'm not sure what heart burn feels like but I imagine this was it. I popped 4 tums this morning in hopes of it going away as I hear that this kind of thing can really mess up your esophagus if you're not careful.

Any suggestions? Add peppers? I add a ton of crushed red pepper to the pizza, but not the sauce. Would adding to the sauce help?

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon fennel seed

Directions
1 In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.

2 Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.

3 Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.

4 Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).

5 Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

Crushed and dried red peppers is likely to blame. Heart burn is caused by stomach acid not tomato acid and spicy food sets it off on occasion for many.

However if you want to make the sauce less acidic you add stuff that's not acidic to cut it. I like pureed roasted red peppers which I think you can actually buy unpureed in a jar ready to go. The only reason I'd reduce the acid in a pizza sauce is to affect the cheese. Mozzarella is stringy and gooey when melted but acid will make it rubbery and chewy.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Crushed and dried red peppers is likely to blame. Heart burn is caused by stomach acid not tomato acid and spicy food sets it off on occasion for many.

However if you want to make the sauce less acidic you add stuff that's not acidic to cut it. I like pureed roasted red peppers which I think you can actually buy unpureed in a jar ready to go. The only reason I'd reduce the acid in a pizza sauce is to affect the cheese. Mozzarella is stringy and gooey when melted but acid will make it rubbery and chewy.

You waited until he was banned to reply to this? That seems cruel. Somewhere Partial may be suffering heartburn and you put the remedy in the one place he can't get it?

3irty1
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I didn't learn of his banning until I read the GC today. I'm sure he's still reading but if he's not then he's probably making tons of pizza with all his free time in which case he could well be suffering as I type.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I didn't learn of his banning until I read the GC today. I'm sure he's still reading but if he's not then he's probably making tons of pizza with all his free time in which case he could well be suffering as I type.

I guess he did mention how easy spoofing IPs was at some point, so I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

Little Whiskey
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM

I guess he did mention how easy spoofing IPs was at some point, so I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

he'll probably logon undercover with a name like partial 2. Somthing that won't draw attention. smoooth like that.