PDA

View Full Version : Packers SB bound. . .

RashanGary
08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
OK, 1 in 32 teams, obviously expecting it is a stretch, but I think the Packers are elite for many reasons and since I haven't been here in a while (posting), I'll just quickly say what I think of this Packer team.

1. I think the OL, particularly the run game, is finally back in Green Bay.

2. With the DL adding Raji and Jenkins (health), I think the pass rush is going to be worlds better.

3. With the addition of the 3-4 and the extra size on base downs, I think the Packers will be much improved stopping the run. I think we'll see Jolly and Pickett on every base down with Jenkins and Raji rotating in. We'll see Jenkins and Raji play every Nickle/Dime down.

4. I think Kampman is going to be great in his new position.

5. I love the physical play we're seeing this year on offense, ST's and defense. The OL and DL are stronger and more explosive. All of the LB's, RB's and perimeter players are faster and more explosive. I think that all comes down to the new strength and conditioning program and also the culture of commitment was cemented last year when #4 was told he was not welcome back.

6. Aaron Rodgers has had a fantastic offseason of hard work. Last year I thought he struggled with the 1 and a half step quick slant that was such a staple of the 2007 offense. I also thought he struggled completing what should be the simple passes (dump offs, check downs when under duress, screens). This preseason I've seen a changed man on these passes. He's been hitting both types of throws with impressive accuracy. Throughout the offseason, we've learned that Aaron has worked from January till August, every week at getting better. His body, his understanding of football, refining his passing skills. Everything about his game has been improved and the running game will open it all up also.

7. Greg Jennings (best offseason of his career), Ryan Grant (best offseason of his Packer career), Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and Donald Lee make up one of the strongest and deepest overall skill groups in the NFL. Maybe the deepest in the entire NFL. With the improved OL, this offense is going to be truely elite. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was the MVP and the Packers offense was the best in the NFL. I think they are that good.

8. Dom Capers history of quick success

9. The addition of extra linebackers will also help the ST's units.

10. Capers makes McCarthy better. McCarthy is the highest paid coach and the top guy. He has to raise his level to keep up with the hard working Capers.

Overall, I think this team is a true SB competitor. The Buffalo Bills GM had this to say about the Packers as a physical team. . .

"There were times it looked like we had the play stopped and they still got 4, 5 yards because their backs, everybody's coming," said Modrak. "They played downhill, fast. I mean, they're coming after you. When they're hitting you, they're hitting you hard."

It reminds me of things you read about the great teams. A couple years ago (the year SD almost went to the SB) we played them and they physically dominated us. We went 8-8 that year, but there was a realization that the Packers were physically dominated by the elite teams (we realized it right away in the preseason against SD). This year I think Buffalo is simlar to us then. They're young. I think they'll be solid, but they were physically dominated by an elite team last week.

Everything about this team screams championship to me. I think the Packers are an elite physical team. They have great QB stability. They have great coaching. They had an offseason of growth and togetherness and have a lockerroom with great chemistry. Everything about this season feels special to me. I see 13-3 and a SB victory. I know the SB is tough to win and I know no team has better than a 1 in 5 shot according to Vegas, but I also believe the Packers have a special team that is right with NE and Pittsburgh as the elite teams in the NFL. I think the Packers are greatly underrated and we are going to experience the greatest season since 1996.

RashanGary
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
if anyone can pm me this article from JS

52.) Nowhere to go but up after loss Mistakes add up in woeful effort

Author: RICK BRAUN Packer Plus writer Packer Plus
Publication: Packer Plus (Milwaukee, WI)
Publish Date: August 17, 2006
Word Count: 1049
Document ID: 1141C7D269812AF8

San Diego – The early returns appear to be a little harsh for the 2006 Green Bay Packers.

The No. 1 offense, the No. 1 defense and the special teams units all had their share of difficulties as the San Diego Chargers made the Packers look bad early Saturday night.

The only solace the Packers could take from their 17-3 loss in the exhibition opener Saturday night was the fact that it was just that – the exhibition opener.

"I think we leave here

I could find you some quotes from McCarthy that sound exactly like this quote from the Bills. One common denominator here is the strength coach, Dave Redding. In 2006 he was with SD. Now he's with GB. Also, the overall age of that SD team (young team just coming together) and make up are similar. I think this Packer team is better coached and I honestly think that we, like SD that year (even though the cheaters knocked them off), are the best team in the NFL.

Kiwon
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
They were a better team last year than their record.

With an improved defense and if they can stay injury-free the Pack certainly has the potential to make it to the big dance.

PackerTimer
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
OK, 1 in 32 teams, obviously expecting it is a stretch, but I think the Packers are elite for many reasons and since I haven't been here in a while (posting), I'll just quickly say what I think of this Packer team.

1. I think the OL, particularly the run game, is finally back in Green Bay.

2. With the DL adding Raji and Jenkins (health), I think the pass rush is going to be worlds better.

3. With the addition of the 3-4 and the extra size on base downs, I think the Packers will be much improved stopping the run. I think we'll see Jolly and Pickett on every base down with Jenkins and Raji rotating in. We'll see Jenkins and Raji play every Nickle/Dime down.

4. I think Kampman is going to be great in his new position.

5. I love the physical play we're seeing this year on offense, ST's and defense. The OL and DL are stronger and more explosive. All of the LB's, RB's and perimeter players are faster and more explosive. I think that all comes down to the new strength and conditioning program and also the culture of commitment was cemented last year when #4 was told he was not welcome back.

6. Aaron Rodgers has had a fantastic offseason of hard work. Last year I thought he struggled with the 1 and a half step quick slant that was such a staple of the 2007 offense. I also thought he struggled completing what should be the simple passes (dump offs, check downs when under duress, screens). This preseason I've seen a changed man on these passes. He's been hitting both types of throws with impressive accuracy. Throughout the offseason, we've learned that Aaron has worked from January till August, every week at getting better. His body, his understanding of football, refining his passing skills. Everything about his game has been improved and the running game will open it all up also.

7. Greg Jennings (best offseason of his career), Ryan Grant (best offseason of his Packer career), Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and Donald Lee make up one of the strongest and deepest overall skill groups in the NFL. Maybe the deepest in the entire NFL. With the improved OL, this offense is going to be truely elite. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was the MVP and the Packers offense was the best in the NFL. I think they are that good.

8. Dom Capers history of quick success

9. The addition of extra linebackers will also help the ST's units.

10. Capers makes McCarthy better. McCarthy is the highest paid coach and the top guy. He has to raise his level to keep up with the hard working Capers.

Overall, I think this team is a true SB competitor. The Buffalo Bills GM had this to say about the Packers as a physical team. . .

"There were times it looked like we had the play stopped and they still got 4, 5 yards because their backs, everybody's coming," said Modrak. "They played downhill, fast. I mean, they're coming after you. When they're hitting you, they're hitting you hard."

It reminds me of things you read about the great teams. A couple years ago (the year SD almost went to the SB) we played them and they physically dominated us. We went 8-8 that year, but there was a realization that the Packers were physically dominated by the elite teams (we realized it right away in the preseason against SD). This year I think Buffalo is simlar to us then. They're young. I think they'll be solid, but they were physically dominated by an elite team last week.

Everything about this team screams championship to me. I think the Packers are an elite physical team. They have great QB stability. They have great coaching. They had an offseason of growth and togetherness and have a lockerroom with great chemistry. Everything about this season feels special to me. I see 13-3 and a SB victory. I know the SB is tough to win and I know no team has better than a 1 in 5 shot according to Vegas, but I also believe the Packers have a special team that is right with NE and Pittsburgh as the elite teams in the NFL. I think the Packers are greatly underrated and we are going to experience the greatest season since 1996.

Welcome back JH. I think you have a snoot full of kool aide, but sign me up.

pbmax
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
3. I think we'll see Jolly and Pickett on every base down with Jenkins and Raji rotating in. We'll see Jenkins and Raji play every Nickle/Dime down.
I think Jenkins is starting in the base defense at RDE.

RashanGary
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
3. I think we'll see Jolly and Pickett on every base down with Jenkins and Raji rotating in. We'll see Jenkins and Raji play every Nickle/Dime down.
I think Jenkins is starting in the base defense at RDE.

Yeah but I think all of his rest will come on base downs. He'll play every nickle/dime down and get his rest on base downs. I think it will look something like this:

Defensive breakdown
50% base (only in base 3-4 half the time)
50% nickle/dime (in 2-4 or 2-3 nickle dime half the time)

Total Break down for each player:

Pickett 50% of total snaps (all in base defense). While this seems light, I think it's about right for Pickett. He's good enough to play NT, but barely. If he's going to be the guy, we need him to be rested and strong on every play

Jenkins 80% of total snaps (30% in base, 50% in sub)

Raji 70% of total snaps (20% in base, 50% in sub)

Jolly 50% of total snaps (all in base defense. When Raji comes in, Jolly will spell Jenkins so Jenkins has more energy in pass rush situations). I could also see Jolly talking a few of Raji's snaps in nickle if Raji is wearing down.

When everyone is healthy, I think you'll only see a 4 man rotation. Half of the game we have 2 lineman. Half of the game we have 3. We don't need nearly as many big guys now as we did last year. The important thing is the quality and I think we have quality big guys this year.

RashanGary
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
It's one of those things where you say "what is a starter"?

It's a rotation. I don't look at it as the guy who starts the game. I look at it in terms of percentage of total snaps. Jenkins will get his rest on base even though he starts teh game in base. Jolly will get his rest in nickle/dime even though he starts the game in base. Jolly is a stronger run stopper. Jenkins a stronger pass rusher. It's all about putting guys in places they're successful so why rest Jolly on base an play him in nickle when he's better in base than nickle. Why rest Jenkins in nickle and play him every base down when he's a better pass rusher than run stopper. Even though Jolly starts, Raji plays more snaps so who's the starter? It's a rotation. That starter black/white thinking is what makes peoples opinions so incredibly off and stories so incredibly misguided. Look at percentage of snaps and impact in those snaps. That's the reality of it.

A little common coaching sense I think. Put guys in spots where they succeed. That's pretty much what I'm saying here. We know Jenkins won't play every snap so you you just make sure the snaps he does play, he's in position to succeed. I think I have it nailed down pretty much. I'd be surprised that if we're healthy it's not damn close to what I just described.

mission
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Like he said: Jenkins will be in on base downs.

sharpe1027
08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I like the enthusiasm and tend to agree that they look much improved, even if I am not quite so optimistic. I am not saying they can't go to the SB, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

Depite all the talk about an improved special teams because of an extra LBer or two, I haven't really seen the improvement on the field. Come to think of it, is it really that much of an advantage? Sure they have more LBers totoal, but they also need to play LBers on defense and starters seldom play special teams. So what is the net gain? One LBer maybe? Sorry, but that doesn't add up to sure-fire special team success to me.

Fritz
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
This is what always kills me about sports:

Around this time of year in football, most people write and say things like "If the Packers go ____ and _____, and win a playoff game, I'll be happy."

But if the team goes ____ and ___ and wins a playoff game, and in the following playoff game loses - no matter in what manner - many of those fans will be angry and pisssed off. Hey! Why didn't they win? Damn Thompson! Damn McCarthy! Damn _____!"

It's happening here in Detroit in baseball. In the spring, most fans said "If they can be playing meaningful games in Septem,ber, that's what it's all about and we'll take our chances from there."

So next week is the beginning of September and the Tigers are in first. They will be playing meaningful games in Septmber. But 90% of the callers on sports talk shows here do nothing but bitch - Leyland's a lousy manager, Rodney's a bad closer, Ordonez should be cut now, the team stinks.

It's weird.

woodbuck27
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey JH. Glad to see you and all that enthusiasm back.

Your positiveness ROCKS!

BZnDallas
08-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Around this time of year in football, most people write and say things like "If the Packers go ____ and _____, and win a playoff game, I'll be happy."

But if the team goes ____ and ___ and wins a playoff game, and in the following playoff game loses - no matter in what manner - many of those fans will be angry and pisssed off. Hey! Why didn't they win? Damn Thompson! Damn McCarthy! Damn _____!"

It's happening here in Detroit in baseball. In the spring, most fans said "If they can be playing meaningful games in Septem,ber, that's what it's all about and we'll take our chances from there."

So next week is the beginning of September and the Tigers are in first. They will be playing meaningful games in Septmber. But 90% of the callers on sports talk shows here do nothing but bitch - Leyland's a lousy manager, Rodney's a bad closer, Ordonez should be cut now, the team stinks.

It's weird.

I hear ya fritz!!... its the same way down here in Texas... everybody wants meaningful games in Sept for the Rangers... but everybody bitches about the 'bad' of the team and not the 'good' now that we have that... i'm just happy to have something to keep my attention until Packer football seeing as my brewers are shitty again...

oh by the way... welcome back JH... i'm right there with ya on the pack and the bowl!!!

Mr. T
08-28-2009, 11:43 PM
JH

Change the title of this thread, please!

This is jinx city!

Maybe we should put AR on the cover of Madden.

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Wow JH, you are back on da Rats!?

At least we have one Justin Harrell that might contribute in 2009 now. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
08-29-2009, 09:53 AM

It's weird.

The truth is, Packers fans accept nothing than superbowl victories. The only team that that philosophy really applies to is the Milwaukee Brewers. We were pleased as hell last year when they made it into the playoffs and that was good enough for me after a 26 year absence.