PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers - Breaking all of the records???

CaptainKickass
08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
They mentioned in the broadcast that Aaron Rodgers, in the offseason this year, came into McCarthy's QB School...and broke ALL of the records.

I wanna know more about the history of this QB school. Who's been in it? How long has it been around? Is it just MM's qb school?

And then seriously - ALL of the records?

Can anyone site another source? I need some validation/confirmation of what I heard. Anyone else hear them say that? Am I that drunk?

If true - that is a serious scoop that NOBODY in the media picked up on.

Bueller?

?

pbmax
08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Its the Camp he has run in the offseason since he was QB coach for the Chiefs. Gannon went through it. Possibly Montana with the Chiefs, possibly Favre in 99.

CaptainKickass
08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Its the Camp he has run in the offseason since he was QB coach for the Chiefs. Gannon went through it. Possibly Montana with the Chiefs, possibly Favre in 99.

Thanx Pb

So - it's specific to MM then.?

Who else? Warner? Brooks? Hasselhoff?

Hey media - how's about some "investigative" sports journalism??

SMACKTALKIE
08-28-2009, 11:37 PM
No sacks for Rodgers yet this preseason. Impressive. Close to a game, to a game and a quarter-worth of action. That shows comfort in the system.

SMACKTALKIE
08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Oops, wrong thread. Drunk and playing vids. It happens.

Mr. T
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
No sacks for Rodgers yet this preseason.
Part of this is good adjustment in the pocket. Rodgers is quick and has good pocket awareness.

Partial
08-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Rodgers is not even close to the same player he was last year. He looks infinitely better.

CaptainKickass
08-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Someone's gotta have some background on this. I did a quick web search but didn't really uncover anything.

Waldo?

Patler?

Are there any other resources that talk about this?

?

KYPack
08-29-2009, 02:37 PM
It's a figure of speech, not a formal camp. The QB's he gets paid to coach and develop are said to go thru his "school". It just means that they have been subject to the tutelge of Fat Mac and study QBing his way.

"He broke all the records" just means he's a finished QB product now and ready to go kick ass in the NFL.

Gannon
Brooks,
Favre
And ARod are said to have gone thru his "school".

Joe (Cool) Montana doesn't count. MM was in KC with Joe, but Mac was just a baby coach in them days.

woodbuck27
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
It's a figure of speech, not a formal camp. The QB's he gets paid to coach and develop are said to go thru his "school". It just means that they have been subject to the tutelge of Fat Mac and study QBing his way.

"He broke all the records" just means he's a finished QB product now and ready to go kick ass in the NFL.

Gannon
Brooks,
Favre
And ARod are said to have gone thru his "school".

Joe (Cool) Montana doesn't count. MM was in KC with Joe, but Mac was just a baby coach in them days.

I can usually count on you to give us a solid explanation KY. Thanks.

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I really appreciate the attempts, but there's nothing here I didn't already know.

It'd be cool to know at least some of the details. Like what types of drills & exercises are used, what the "records" were before Arod broke them, who previously held them, how does MM's "QB School" differ from other coaches qb trainings, etc etc.

?

CaptainKickass
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Here's what the internet gods were able to provide me with. It's not much but more than I knew before:

I never heard it called QB school until you got here. Was that your idea or Marty Schottenheimer's?

Paul Hackett was the one that I learned it from, and it was on Marty's staff in 1993. It's funny the way the equipment dress has changed since '93. When you put the old films on and you see Montana and Rich Gannon and the players you've worked with in the past going through the same drills, these guys get a kick out of it. They think it looks like it's 50 years ago. Maybe it is a long time ago.

He has tutored an impressive roster of NFL quarterbacks.

While two of the biggest names he has worked with, Favre in Green Bay and Joe Montana in Kansas City, were at or beyond their peak years at the time, McCarthy has played at least a part in the development of these signal callers:

Aaron Brooks, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Rich Gannon and Elvis Grbac.

The entire stable of quarterbacks that McCarthy has worked with, which also includes Jeff Blake, Steve Bono, and Dave Krieg, have collectively earned 34 Pro Bowl selections and six NFL Most Valuable Player awards. Those passers also have made nine Super Bowl starts and won five world championships.

Year(s) Team Title Notable QBs Notes

1990-91 Univ. of Pittsburgh Quarterbacks Coach Alex Van Pelt Four-year starter who threw for more than 2,000 yards in each season and went on to break Dan Marino's school records for career and single-season passing yards

1993 Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Assistant Joe Montana
Dave Krieg Montana named to his final Pro Bowl in 1993, Chiefs advance to AFC Championship game

1994 Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Assistant Joe Montana
Steve Bono

1995 Kansas City Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Steve Bono
Rich Gannon Bono named to Pro Bowl

1996 Kansas City Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Steve Bono
Rich Gannon

1997 Kansas City Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Elvis Grbac
Rich Gannon Chiefs advance to AFC Divisional playoffs

1998 Kansas City Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Rich Gannon
Elvis Grbac

1999 Green Bay Packers Quarterbacks Coach Brett Favre
Matt Hasselbeck
Aaron Brooks

2000 New Orelans Saints Offensive Coordinator Jeff Blake
Aaron Brooks
Marc Bulger Saints advance to NFC Divisional playoffs

2001 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator Aaron Brooks

2002 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator Aaron Brooks
Jake Delhomme

2003 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator Aaron Brooks
Todd Bouman

2004 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator Aaron Brooks

2005 San Francisco 49ers Offensive Coordinator Alex Smith
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett Helped tutor NFL's No. 1 overall draft pick

2006 Green Bay Packers Head Coach Brett Favre
Aaron Rodgers

2007 Green Bay Packers Head Coach Brett Favre
Aaron Rodgers Packers advance to NFC Championship Game; Favre named to Pro Bowl

2008 Green Bay Packers Head Coach Aaron Rodgers Became only the second starter in NFL history to surpass 4,000 yards in the same season in which he made his first career start; ranked in league's top 10 in nearly every meaningful passing category

That all being said, I'm still curious to know what types of drills and/or exercises are used in theis "QB School" as well as the history of the aformentioned "records".