PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga is NOT the answer at ROLB

gbpackfan
08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Time and time again Poppinga got ZERO pressure when he was rushing the passer. He rushed fairly often and got stuffed EVERY TIME. Running right at the OT doesn't get it done. Matthews needs to stay healthy and step up because Poppinga is nice reserve, but not a starter. For a guy who was a d-linemen, he has real bad pass rush moves. Am I alone in this thinking?

However, I do understand that injuries have forced MM's hand. But damn, we need better at ROLB!

digitaldean
08-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Time and time again Poppinga got ZERO pressure when he was rushing the passer. He rushed fairly often and got stuffed EVERY TIME. Running right at the OT doesn't get it done. Matthews needs to stay healthy and step up because Poppinga is nice reserve, but not a starter. For a guy who was a d-linemen, he has real bad pass rush moves. Am I alone in this thinking?

However, I do understand that injuries have forced MM's hand. But damn, we need better at ROLB!

He also got burned in coverage again tonight. He made a few plays vs. the run, but nothing stellar.

gbpackfan
08-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I just assumed everyone already knew about Brady's piss poor coverage skills. :D

He tackles the running back from time to time but doesn't every linebacker do that?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the guy. But he's not a starting LB in the NFL.

bobblehead
08-29-2009, 12:56 AM
I just assumed everyone already knew about Brady's piss poor coverage skills. :D

He tackles the running back from time to time but doesn't every linebacker do that?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the guy. But he's not a starting LB in the NFL.

I beg to differ, he is and has been a starting LB in the NFL for several seasons including starting on a 13-3 team that was one....ah nevermind, don't want to be censored. :shock:

gbpackfan
08-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I never thought he was a HUGE liability in the 4-3 but HE CAN NOT RUSH THE PASSER. Something that a ROLB has to do in a 3-4. He gets STUFFED every time!!!! It just gets old seeing him spin his wheels time and time again.

SnakeLH2006
08-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Snake's NEVER been a big Popp fan, as his liability in coverage was exacsberated once again tonite getting beat by a WR for a 30 yard strike down the middle. He has grown a bit overall, though, and looks to be a good sub, but word has it they aren't bringing Da Bishop over to compete at OLB, so it's a placeholder for CMatty when he gets healthy to win the OLB spot from Poop.

I say let the Bishop play. As the founder of the Desmond Bishop bandwagon last preseason, and the only Rat to clamor for more PT from Bishop...I must sig it...Done. 8-)

Gunakor
08-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Snake's NEVER been a big Popp fan, as his liability in coverage was exacsberated once again tonite getting beat by a WR for a 30 yard strike down the middle. He has grown a bit overall, though, and looks to be a good sub, but word has it they aren't bringing Da Bishop over to compete at OLB, so it's a placeholder for CMatty when he gets healthy to win the OLB spot from Poop.

I say let the Bishop play. As the founder of the Desmond Bishop bandwagon last preseason, and the only Rat to clamor for more PT from Bishop...I must sig it...Done. 8-)

Bishop has looked beastly as an ILB. I'd be a bit hesitant to move him over to OLB too as good as he's looked inside. It's a different responsibility after all.

Matthews may win that spot eventually, but don't forget about Jeremy Thompson who is also injured right now. All preseason it was those two at that OLB spot competing for the starting job, now both are banged up and Pop has gotten the nod. I don't think the competiton for that spot is necessarily going to be between Pop and (x). I think Pop is eventually going to be the primary backup on the other side behind Kampy, while Matthews and Thompson fight for that spot long term.

gbpackfan
08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
"Clay Matthews at ROLB with the starters."

robdemovsky tweet at first practice after Cardinals game.

I'm telling you, Poppinga can not start at ROLB (for very long). He can NOT rush the passer.

DonHutson
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Like many of their LB's, Poppinga has strengths and weaknesses. He's not a great pass rusher or particularly good in coverage. He won't necessarily need to be. He'll be a starter only in the sense that he'll be playing 1st and 2nd down. I doubt he'll be on the field in passing situations. Capers seems very adept at letting players play to their strengths.

I wouldn't be surpised if Matthews is playing most of the snaps by mid-season. It'll be great to get a look at him this week.

rbaloha1
08-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Poop is playing well. The scheme matches his aggressiveness. LT not the answer.

IMO Hawk would be good at ROLB.

pbmax
08-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Matthews was with the ones in the nickel according to later updates. So they clearly want to get him on the field and its pass rush and coverage first.

LT?

retailguy
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Matthews was with the ones in the nickel according to later updates. So they clearly want to get him on the field and its pass rush and coverage first.

LT?

That got me too. I think he meant JT - Jeremy Thompson.

bigcoz75
08-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Long Term?

Brando19
08-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Little Turd? Aka...Poops. Aka...Poopinga. Aka...Brady Poppinga?

:lol:

pbmax
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
He hopefully doesn't mean Lawrence Taylor. That LT has time on his hands and might show up on his doorstep and take a 3 wood to rb's noggin. :lol:

rbaloha1
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM

LT?

Appears Matthews is getting more snaps with #1 unit.

b bulldog
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Is Hawk the answer in the middle??? He did not record one tackle in the game against the Cards, not one! IMO, Hawk may be one of the first LB's to be replaced if his play doesn't improve.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Is Hawk the answer in the middle??? He did not record one tackle in the game against the Cards, not one! IMO, Hawk may be one of the first LB's to be replaced if his play doesn't improve.

Isn't there enough bad news outta michigan to keep you quiet on the Ohio State front? :lol:

Gunakor
08-31-2009, 07:25 PM

I doubt it. There's no real need to make any changes to the starting unit unless they start underperforming, at which time you identify the problem and fix it. Right now there is no problem. So I don't expect any drastic changes.

Brando19
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Isn't there enough bad news outta michigan to keep you quiet on the Ohio State front? :lol:

F'n traitor Rodriguez! He screwed over WVU and quit right before their bowl game. I hope he is out of a job soon. :lol:

wist43
08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Strange how all the Jeremy Thompson hype has disappeared...

Partial
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Thompson has been hurt, but I think he is a year away anyway. I think he'll be a solid LB in time, but he needs some more Greene in his face to make him nasty.

Cannot wait for a healthy Matthews. Would love to see him play quite well on Fri.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Thompson has been hurt, but I think he is a year away anyway. I think he'll be a solid LB in time, but he needs some more Greene in his face to make him nasty.

Cannot wait for a healthy Matthews. Would love to see him play quite well on Fri.

I hear your point, but if he isn't nasty after playing ball for this many years, he ain't never going to be. Some players are nasty, some aren't. You either have it in you or you don't.

Brando19
08-31-2009, 09:33 PM

I hear your point, but if he isn't nasty after playing ball for this many years, he ain't never going to be. Some players are nasty, some aren't. You either have it in you or you don't.

Maybe we haven't seen him angry. Maybe we wouldn't like him when he's angry. :twisted:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Maybe we haven't seen him angry. Maybe we wouldn't like him when he's angry. :twisted:

Maybe he doesn't get angry.

Actually, being nasty isn't an emotion..it is a state of being. Wayne Simmons was nasty....Hawk isn't.

If you have to play "angry" that is an emotion..and those type of players and teams rarely are able to sustain..it takes a ton of energy to stay in that emotional state.

Think about basketball games....team comes out with ton of emotion.....then boom, they run outta steam.