PDA

View Full Version : Keep enthusiasm in perspective, Packer Fans.

oregonpackfan
08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
With the Packers going 3-0 in preseason, there is a tremendous amount of exciting enthusiasm. Rodgers has a passer rating of 151, the offense is moving the ball consistently, Woodson is looking like the true all-Pro corner that he is, and the first team defense is adapting well to the Capers-led 3-4.

Yes, a certain amount of optimistic enthusiasm is great but we have to keep the preseason showing in perspective.

First, not all the first teamers for both the Packers and their defeated opponents have even played in the games. That could dramatically affect the showing during the regular season in many ways.

Second, a preseason showing does not accurately predict what the regular season is going to be. During the '99 Ray Rhodes led Packers season of 8-8, the Packers were 4-0 in the preseason. The winless Lions of 0-16 were also 4-0 in preseason. A couple of years ago, when the Patriots had there perfect 16-0 season, they went 0-4 in preseason.

I am not trying to douse the flames of enthusiasm with a big pail of water. I am just trying to temper them a bit.

Yes, I like what the Packers are doing so far and hope they have a great season. Let us just take this preseason showing with a realistic perspective of moderation.

packrulz
08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree, the Cards especially didn't really care if they won or not, they were just getting in football shape and evaluating personnel. I expect the Bears to be much more intense.

retailguy
08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
With the Packers going 3-0 in preseason, there is a tremendous amount of exciting enthusiasm. Rodgers has a passer rating of 151, the offense is moving the ball consistently, Woodson is looking like the true all-Pro corner that he is, and the first team defense is adapting well to the Capers-led 3-4.

Yes, a certain amount of optimistic enthusiasm is great but we have to keep the preseason showing in perspective.

First, not all the first teamers for both the Packers and their defeated opponents have even played in the games. That could dramatically affect the showing during the regular season in many ways.

Second, a preseason showing does not accurately predict what the regular season is going to be. During the '99 Ray Rhodes led Packers season of 8-8, the Packers were 4-0 in the preseason. The winless Lions of 0-16 were also 4-0 in preseason. A couple of years ago, when the Patriots had there perfect 16-0 season, they went 0-4 in preseason.

I am not trying to douse the flames of enthusiasm with a big pail of water. I am just trying to temper them a bit.

Yes, I like what the Packers are doing so far and hope they have a great season. Let us just take this preseason showing with a realistic perspective of moderation.

You obviously don't understand the preseason, OPF. I mean, this is as real a test as you're going to get. Great predictions can be made off of these games. After all, the Lions went 4-0 last year. :shock:

Seriously, well said.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I think the hysteria for the offense is justified. I'm not at all sold that the defense really has it together yet.

denverYooper
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree, the Cards especially didn't really care if they won or not, they were just getting in football shape and evaluating personnel. I expect the Bears to be much more intense.

Is that why the Cardinals left their first team D in against our 2s (+3rd string QB) for a couple of series in the second half? They were probably just evaluating how bad their first team D really was :).

denverYooper
08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I think the hysteria for the offense is justified. I'm not at all sold that the defense really has it together yet.

I agree. The offense will put up some huge numbers this year. Hell, they did pretty well last year and now they've got a year of experience.

The D is getting more pressure and causing turnovers, but I'm still not convinced that their problem stopping the run is cleared up. The Cardinals RBs put up 7+ ypc on our 1st D... When I checked the stats @half, they'd rolled up 78 yards on 11 carries. Could be because the Pack was a lot more concerned with the pass. We'll soon see, I'm sure, because I think OCs will look at the tape and think that they can still run on this D.

pbmax
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM

There is a slight difference between the two years. Rhodes was behind (or in a close game) in the first half of most of the preseason, if memory serves. He kept the pedal to the metal to try to secure wins.

vs. Jets: behind 16-7 at half
vs. Broncos: ahead 24-0
vs. Saints: tied 17-17
vs. Miami: behind 11-8

The Packers have been winning the first half with a margin to spare.

The caution against reading too much into the Cardinal game is that the Cards did no game planning, other than being familiar with the 3-4 because they run it and have faced the Steelers already.

packrulz
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Is that why the Cardinals left their first team D in against our 2s (+3rd string QB) for a couple of series in the second half? They were probably just evaluating how bad their first team D really was :).
True, Rogers-Cromartie especially was embarrassed, still, they weren't exactly stoked for this game. Big deal, it'll be forgotten once the regular season starts.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2009, 11:37 AM

It's going to be nice having a bye week in the playoffs.

rbaloha1
08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Agree -- the Packers game planned and the Cardinals did not. Nonetheless the Packers are executing and have positive momentum entering the season.

To play devil's advocate -- what would Packer fans be feeling if the Packer performance was reversed?

Scott Campbell
08-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Agree -- the Packers game planned and the Cardinals did not. Nonetheless the Packers are executing and have positive momentum entering the season.

To play devil's advocate -- what would Packer fans be feeling if the Packer performance was reversed?

Bummed.

I think we've got a very talented roster. If we can stay healthy, this could be the real deal.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
If either of the offensive tackles go down, it's going to weaken the team.

I think the questions on defense are how good Clay MAthews can be this year, can Barnett return to 2007 form, and do we have a second safety who won't suck too hard.

No team is perfect, the packers are relatively solid.

RashanGary
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I understand you wanting to temper your enthusiasm. It is only preseason.

There have been signs that this is a special year for quite some time. Before the preseason started, I started a thread at Packer chatters about the Packers being SB bound this year. The reasons have not changed very much, but the way Rodgers has played I really did not expect.

Each coach comes out and talks about how fast and physically impressive the Packers are. Things like that are not mistakes. That is real. This Packers team is tough, fast, physical and hungry. "this is the best team I've seen all preseason", "that team should win the division", "they were a buzzsaw". . . ect. . . They are going to shock and awe this year.

I agree with HH, the defense is just getting started. They look impressive but equally inconsistent. They need to keep ironing out the inconsistencies over the next two weeks and come into game 1 ready to win. I think they can. Capers has already done it so I know it can be done.

RashanGary
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I swear, there is not a higher concentration of Favre lovin party poopers anywhere on the interweb. There is excitement all across Packer nation, but you come here and it's like a big poop cloud is still floating over Green Bay.

Let the past go people. This season is going to be fun.

pbmax
08-29-2009, 01:41 PM
If either of the offensive tackles go down, it's going to weaken the team.
Do you get wet when you fall into the water Harlan? :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2009, 02:57 PM

they left the defense in because they have a new defense.

BZnDallas
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM

i'd have disagree to a certain extent, that the Cards didn't want to win... toward the end of the game when AZ scored, the station showed a shot of kurt warner on the sidelines and he was pumping his fist quite emphatically (*spelling).... maybe that was just b/c they made a game of it after being blown out in the first half... but that team didnt quit after taking as ass whoopin...

but i do agree that we need to take all this with a grain of salt... it is fun to watch the first team on both sides of the ball dominate over the first 3 preseason games... BRING ON THE REGULAR SEASON!!!!