PDA

View Full Version : One thing you've seen Rodgers improve on?

RashanGary
08-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll start. . . . .

The quick slant out of the 1 1/2 step drop.

I haven't recorded the games, but just off the top of my head, he's thrown three perfect ones with zero mistake throws.

1. Jennings TD against Cleveland
2. Driver dropped a perfect ball against Cleveland
3. Nelson got on against the Cardinals

That play was a big part of 2007 and almost disappeared last year. I remember them trying it but it seemed to always fall incomplete. They eventually just stopped trying it.

Now he's thrown 3 of 3 right on the money by my count. It's not an amazing pass by any means, but it's an effective pass. A QB that can facilitate the offense and get the ball in the hands of his playmakers early is a very underrated thing. Rodgers had the wow passes a year ago. Now if he can get the every day, every play stuff down, we'll be looking at that much better of an offense. It seems like he's getting the ball to his guys earlier and that should open up more YAC.

Waldo
08-29-2009, 02:34 PM
His play faking.

Last year it kinda sucked, he made half hearted efforts and it hardly fooled anyone.

The Kuhn run last night, where the fake to the back drew half the defense, shows just how far he's come.

RashanGary
08-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Nice one. Another little thing.

KYPack
08-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Since he came into the league, definitely pocket awareness. He was like a blind man out there as a rook. Now he has pocket awareness as good as any QB playing. It's Marino/Favre like.

He keeps his attention downfield and just drifts out of trouble.

Very impressive.

pbmax
08-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Already been mentioned in other thread, but footwork. Moving in the pocket after his initial dropback is smooth, not hurried and purposeful.

He knows when he is moving to a different progression and where to set his feet. He also knows when its time to bail. Its possible none of this is physical, but is related to the clock in his head and vision slowing down, so he is not in a hurry, but doing one specific thing at a time.

A very good example was the third-look TD he threw to Finley. He dropped back and looked right saw nothing open, came back to his left and came up empty again, then back to the right and found Finley had adjusted his route and was wide open. His feet were ready for each throw, even though I doubt that last look was a part of the normal progression on that play.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2009, 02:50 PM
.......his studliness.

mraynrand
08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
When he moves in, around and out of the pocket, he never looks down. His eyes remain up, scanning the field. He stays alive in the passing game as long as possible before tucking and running.

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
His play faking.

Last year it kinda sucked, he made half hearted efforts and it hardly fooled anyone.

The Kuhn run last night, where the fake to the back drew half the defense, shows just how far he's come.

He faked out the camera men on that play and a few others too.

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
.......his studliness.

Fear the Beard!

http://www.packersyearbook.com/images/2008/aaron-rodgers.jpg

http://proventures.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/billy-mays.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
He's improved on his ability for forum posters to talk about him. He's jumped lightyears ahead of his ability when he first came into the league.

gbgary
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I'll start. . . . .

The quick slant out of the 1 1/2 step drop.

I haven't recorded the games, but just off the top of my head, he's thrown three perfect ones with zero mistake throws.

when i read the topic i said to myself "self, it's got to be the slant!"

nearly nonexistent last year. now if he can put together long, time consuming drives, that'll help the D, and we'll be on our way.

Tarlam!
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
His command of the huddle. Of course, it was present last year, but did you read what DD has to say about his leadership? He owns this team now.

This guy does on the offense what Barnett claimed he would like to do on the defense. I'm not convinced Barnett is up to it, but Aaron certainly is.

pbmax
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
We don't want Mr. Rodgers partying like an informercial star.

Before the autopsy results, I thought his hair dye did him in.

.......his studliness.

Fear the Beard!

http://www.packersyearbook.com/images/2008/aaron-rodgers.jpg

http://proventures.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/billy-mays.jpg

gbgary
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
.......his studliness.

this? and then you ask for us not to be treated as objects. disgusting!

MJZiggy
09-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Wait. I thought you guys wanted to be treated as objects. :?:

oregonpackfan
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
When he moves in, around and out of the pocket, he never looks down. His eyes remain up, scanning the field. He stays alive in the passing game as long as possible before tucking and running.

This is a very good observation.

Go back a couple of years ago when Favre was hurt against the Cowboys. Rodgers came in and did a good job, overall.

One weakness Rodgers displayed is that on passing plays he tended to bail out and run too early. While Rodgers is a very good running QB, most NFL coaches want to have their QB's run with the ball as little as possible. That increases the chances of injury.

Rodgers is now more patient in the pocket, can go through his progressions more efficiently, and wait for an open receiver. Sure, a QB has to run with the ball sometimes. Rodgers is now making wiser decisions as when to run.

CaptainKickass
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
One weakness Rodgers displayed is that on passing plays he tended to bail out and run too early.

Couldn't agree more.

I recall yelling at the TV when AR would immediately take off as soon as he "felt" pressure.

This year, he's side-stepping the first "feel" of pressure and using the Oline blocking set up to buy time. Much better footwork, confidence, and vision.

Freak Out
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
His play fakes and his ability to buy a little pocket time and still stay focused down field seems to have improved quite a bit.

Merlin
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
So far his pocket presence looks to be vastly improved. I thought this last year though to, until he got sacked, then he reverted back to his "deer caught in the headlights" skittishness in the pocket. Let's hope he learned his lesson last season that after he gets his bell rung, it's not something that happens a lot (at least we hope not). I think he has and I also see one thing that scares me, you can tell he wants to throw the ball when the pocket break down - ala Favre. So far he has been disciplined, let's hope it stays that way.