PDA

View Full Version : Collins missed OTA's for family, not contract.

boiga
08-29-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/56123052.html

Apparently, Nick's dad died in May and he had to take the leadership role for his fragmenting extended family. So he actually did have a valid reason for missing the offseason.

The way he's playing is even more impressive when you consider the stress he went through over the summer and that he couldn't even get in a single workout all June.

And now I feel like a douche for having doubted his commitment to the team.

Tarlam!
08-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Y'know, this was pretty well communicated. I mean, I hardly did any reading during that time and I knew it.

pbmax
08-30-2009, 07:57 AM
There is still a central contradiction the story does not address. I wish we could quote JSO, but essentially Collins says he had nothing to do with what his agent was doing with the team. He also maintains the only comments he made this summer were about hoping something would get done. The first statement is simply denying his own repsonsibility. The second statement is fluff.

His agent said at the time he would be missing time even if the family situation had not changed. This story resolves nothing about that contradiction.

To deny responsibility for what his representative was doing makes it seem like Collins wants to have it both ways. To hold out without being treated like a hold out.

falco
08-30-2009, 08:49 AM
There is still a central contradiction the story does not address. I wish we could quote JSO, but essentially Collins says he had nothing to do with what his agent was doing with the team. He also maintains the only comments he made this summer were about hoping something would get done. The first statement is simply denying his own repsonsibility. The second statement is fluff.

His agent said at the time he would be missing time even if the family situation had not changed. This story resolves nothing about that contradiction.

To deny responsibility for what his representative was doing makes it seem like Collins wants to have it both ways. To hold out without being treated like a hold out.

You've been banging this drum since the beginning, and apparently no one wants to hear it. For the record, I'm 100% in your camp.

]{ilr]3
08-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I thought then and now that Collins was wrong in the way he was going about getting a new contract. I feel the packers have been fair with other players and addressed contracts when they said they would. Furthermore I think Collins is dues to make $3.5 Million this year (correction anyone).

Thats decent cash, although I am sure he would like to have a longer contract with some garranteed cash.

I really thought he would struggle by not attending OTA's but he is a tackling machine. How many open field tackels did he make on the Cardinals? I am not sure if those catches were in his area of responsibility though. :cat: (the slappy chicks I added because my daughter asked me too :) )

Fritz
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I agree, but isn't that partly what an agent is for? To be the bad guy? It is, in part, the genius of Drew Rosenhaus.

cheesner
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM

I agree, but isn't that partly what an agent is for? To be the bad guy? It is, in part, the genius of Drew Rosenhaus.
The agent works for Nick Collins. Nick Collins was aware of any and all comments of his agent and could have countered them if he wanted. He did not contradict what his agent was saying at the time. His agent isn't going to go out there and make public statements like he did without his clients consent, anyway.

One way or the other, Nick Collins is responsible.