PDA

View Full Version : Tony Fisher Moves Up - Marshall Faulk gone for Season !

woodbuck27
07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Faulk seems set for surgery:

RB's knee hasn't responded to first operation: He probably will miss the upcoming NFL season: The Rams probably will shop for backfield help

By Bill Coats

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
07/21/2006

It appears that running back Marshall Faulk's days with the Rams are over - at least for now.

Faulk reportedly will undergo knee surgery next week, which most likely means he will miss the 2006 season. Faulk, 33, is a 12-year NFL veteran, including seven seasons with the Rams.

Faulk has had surgery on both knees this year, and one hasn't responded. He is able to run straight ahead but suffers swelling after he tries to make cuts.

Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, said he talked with Faulk's agent on Thursday, after Faulk had extensive medical examinations this week on the West Coast. The agent, Rocky Arceneaux, indicated Faulk had decided to have another operation, probably some time next week.

"That was my understanding, that in all likelihood he was going to go ahead and schedule the surgery," Zygmunt said. "We don't know yet what the extent of it will be."

Attempts to reach Arceneaux on Thursday were unsuccessful.

Faulk has amassed 19,154 career yards - 12,279 rushing and 6,875 receiving. He has scored 158 touchdowns. He was selected to seven Pro Bowl squads and was named the NFL's most valuable player in 2000.

A three-time All-American at San Diego State, Faulk was Indianapolis' first-round choice (No. 2) overall in the 1994 draft. He totaled 1,804 yards (1,282 rushing and 522 receiving) and scored 12 touchdowns. He was named the NFL offensive rookie of the year and was voted the Pro Bowl MVP.

Faulk set a franchise record in 1998, when he piled up 2,227 yards (1,319 rushing and 908 receiving). But the Colts refused to renegotiate his contract after the season, leading to his trade to St. Louis. The Rams gave up only two draft choices for him.

"I think it's an outstanding move for our organization," Dick Vermeil, the Rams' coach, said then. "Players like this make offensive coordinators and head coaches a lot smarter."

Vermeil's words proved prophetic. Faulk was a key cog in the Rams' offensive attack that sparked Super Bowl appearances following the 1999 and 2001 seasons. The Rams beat Tennessee 23-16 in Super Bowl XXXIV but lost to New England 20-17 two years later.

The Rams, just 4-12 in '98, bolted to a 6-0 start in '99, with Faulk and previously unheralded quarterback Kurt Warner at the head of a record-breaking offense.

The Rams won the NFC West Division title with a 13-3 record, as Faulk rolled up an NFL-record 2,429 total yards (1,381 rushing, 1,048 receiving). Then they beat Minnesota 49-37 and Tampa Bay 11-6 to earn a Super Bowl berth. Then they held off the Titans in Atlanta and brought the Lombardi Trophy to St. Louis.

More good times followed. The Rams went 10-6 in 2000, losing to New Orleans in the first round of the playoffs. But they surged to a 14-2 the next season, then in the playoffs ousted Green Bay 45-17 and Philadelphia 29-24, and headed to New Orleans for another shot at the league title. The Rams were heavily favored, but the Pats prevailed on Adam Vinatieri's last-second field goal.

Faulk rushed for 1,382 yards that season, but it would mark the last time he topped the 1,000-yard mark, as his knee problems began to surface. The Rams made the playoffs twice over the next four seasons, but never advanced past the second round.

As a backup to Steven Jackson last year, Faulk carried 65 times for 292 yards and eight touchdowns. He also caught 44 passes for 291 yards and one TD.

In an interview late in the '05 season, Faulk said he was determined not to stay active if he no longer could be an effective contributor.

"I don't let my ego get in the way of reality," he said. "I understand guys who do hold on: You don't want to accept the fact that you haven't taken a step backward, that Mother Nature has just caught up to you.

"I just choose not to be one of those guys."

First-year Rams coach Scott Linehan had refused to discuss what step the team would take next if Faulk were unable to play.

"I've been a fan of his, and it's almost like I don't want to come to that conclusion myself, either," Linehan said earlier. "I know it's going to be a sad day for all of us" when he has to step aside.

For now, Tony Fisher, a free-agent acquisition in the offseason, moves into the No. 2 slot behind Jackson, although the Rams are expected to seek additional help in the backfield with Faulk unavailable.

The team opens training camp Thursday at Rams Park.