PDA

View Full Version : What should TT be looking for?

Patler
08-30-2009, 03:17 AM
I think there is one position TT should be looking for:

Holder.

I'm serious. He can kill two birds with one stone by finding the best holder he can who is either at least an average punter, or at least an acceptable backup QB.

I am concerned that they are going to ruin Crosby, if they aren't careful. People have complained about Crosby last year and this, but I wonder how much has been his fault? This is what he has had to work with in his career so far.

2007 - snapper Rob Davis, holder John Ryan (2nd year)
2008 preseason - snapper Jansen (rookie), holder Ryan (3rd year and developing); but, Jansen gets hurt and Ryan waived.
2008 games 1-12 - snapper Goode (rookie), holder Frost
2008 games 13-16 - snapper Goode, holder Flynn (rookie)
2009 preseason games 1 & 2- snapper Goode, holder Flynn
2009 preseason game 3 - snapper Goode, holder Martin (novice).

Crosby is a young guy who expects a lot from himself, it seems. Also not one to blame others. You could see the frustration last night on his misses, at least one of which was a horrible hold, late and barely upright. The second miss looked out of sink, too. Crosby knows some people question his ability, he commented on it last week.

By most reports, Goode is good (Sorry!) but is just in his second year. Flynn has some experience, but not a lot, so he too is a work in progress. Crosby is the leader of that team, and he is just in his third season. I would like to see him with a veteran holder who he could rely on so all he has to think about is doing his job.

Crosby has not been put in a position to do his best. He has had nothing but change to deal with.

Gunakor
08-30-2009, 04:04 AM
I think TT should be looking for a veteran backup QB. I think if he finds a veteran backup QB he'll have found a reliable holder. Or, if we're willing to be patient, we could develop Flynn into a reliable holder while we're developing him into a reliable backup QB at the same time.

I'm not a huge fan of using a punter as a holder. I like having a QB there because it adds a bit of security against a bad snap or whatever, in the sense that he'll be better able to scan the field for an open receiver and deliver a more catchable ball should he not be able to get the hold down. Plus it leaves the option to fake a FG on the table.

Tarlam!
08-30-2009, 04:20 AM
I hope nobody is suggesting Doug Pederson unretire! :P

Gunakor
08-30-2009, 04:34 AM
I hope nobody is suggesting Doug Pederson unretire! :P

Hey, he was a high quality holder for a long time!

pbmax
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Holder.
Completely agree. What I would also like to know is why would the fifth WR be your backup holder? The fifth WR is no lock to make a roster. And even if Ruvell is a Special Teams whirling dervish, isn't that a position fraught with injury?

Both punters should have been working as holders. Less chance of injury. The only reason you wouldn't do it is if you think there is a good chance neither makes your roster. While only one kicker limits the amount of practice for holders, I think the punters have more time than a WR.

sheepshead
08-30-2009, 08:26 AM
muffed fieldgoals are heartbreaking for sure. Not to mention a momentum changer.

wist43
08-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Holders, punters, long snappers... ST's in general, are not positions TT is going to expend much time, effort - and especially money, addressing.

Frankly, I'm surprised he drafted Crosby. Not surprised he has done nothing to address our woeful punting situation.

I think it is reasonable to expect that punter, holder, and consequently Crosby, are going to be season long frustrations.

pbmax
08-30-2009, 09:13 AM
He was one shopped offer from signing Vinatieri to a big deal (that probably had as much to do with kicking in a dome as it did with the money).

I think you have a point with the snapper, they promoted Davis out of his job.

But no one spends more money on the holder, you just need to train one. Why they are training the WR is a bit strange.

vince
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Wist, you're just about out of things to whine about at this point.

wist43
08-30-2009, 09:49 AM

I didn't create the topic... :lol:

As is my nature though... what is the weakness??? Where is the problem???

Punter is obvious, less obvious is the state of our LB'ing corp... I have real concerns.

Kampman looks completely out of position, Hawk is still just as pedestrian as he was in the other scheme, Thompson is what I thought he was all along - a 4-3 DE, same as Kampman - Matthews hasn't seen the field, and the only effective LB we've seen on the field this preseason is a backup, Bishop... who himself has severe limitations to his game.

Jones looks like he should make the team ahead of Thompson, Barnett??? who knows.

At least Spitz beat Wells out, love the Raji pick, Jolly has looked great, and Rodgers seems to have it figured out. A lot to be positive about... but that isn't what this thread is about, is it???

You guys still can't believe we didn't go to the SB last year... fandom is as much about armchair GM'ing as it is rah-rahing.

I'm sure Kapawhosit will be in the pro bowl though :wink:

Patler
08-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Holder.
Completely agree. What I would also like to know is why would the fifth WR be your backup holder? The fifth WR is no lock to make a roster. And even if Ruvell is a Special Teams whirling dervish, isn't that a position fraught with injury?

Both punters should have been working as holders. Less chance of injury. The only reason you wouldn't do it is if you think there is a good chance neither makes your roster. While only one kicker limits the amount of practice for holders, I think the punters have more time than a WR.

I read once that they gave Kapinos a try, but he has never held in his life before this, and is completely awful at it.

I have often thought that the 2nd QB is ideal. In spite of what happened to Peterson a few years ago, it is unlikely that the 2nd string QB gets hurt. However, I know teams prefer to use the punter, because it makes for efficient practice time, and doesn't require the QB to be away from other things he might be doing. Generally, if the kicker and snapper are practicing, the punter is doing nothing, so he might as well hold.

mraynrand
08-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I was thinking that Havner should be the holder. But apparently he has been painting the Packer offices and redoing the plumbing in the Atrium during special teams practice.

Scott Campbell
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM

I don't think we'll ever run out of things to complain about. You probably could have visited the Patriots board in 07 and found guys complaining about something.

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
They obviously do not trust Brohm.

With Ruvell being the "emergency" QB - it kind of makes sense that they'd train him as a holder.

Kind of.

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 10:51 AM

I don't think we'll ever run out of things to complain about. You probably could have visited the Patriots board in 07 and found guys complaining about something.

Now THIS is where you go to complain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 10:55 AM

No you don't.

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 11:14 AM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

:lol:

Scott Campbell
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
So how does Flynn grade out as a holder?

Patler
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
So how does Flynn grade out as a holder?

My understanding from comments in articles now and then last year when he was identified as the backup to Ryan in camp, and when he first started to hold after Frost was cut is that Flynn is "OK" but still working on consistency in handling the ball cleanly. I think he held some in college. When Ryan was cut and Frost signed, they identified Frost as the better holder right away. He held in the first game, even though he and Crosby had only a couple sessions together while Flynn and Crosby worked together some throughout training camp.

There certainly is no wealth of experience in the three, Goode, Flynn and Crosby, that's for sure. That's why I don't think we should be too quick to blame Crosby when a kick fails.

wist43
08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

I'll pay for MJ's next 5 minutes... carry on :D

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

I'll pay for MJ's next 5 minutes... carry on :DComplaining is not the same as arguing!! 8-)

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 01:00 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

I'll pay for MJ's next 5 minutes... carry on :DComplaining is not the same as arguing!! 8-)

It can be.

GBRulz
08-30-2009, 01:02 PM
a career as a politician? :P

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 01:05 PM

It can be.

No it can't. Complaining is complaining and arguing is arguing! :mrgreen:

wist43
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

Clearly - argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition.

As my complaining neatly falls under the umbrella of this broad definition - yes it is :lol:

Your 5 minutes is up :shock:

CaptainKickass
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

Clearly - argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition.

As my complaining neatly falls under the umbrella of this broad definition - yes it is :lol:

No it isn't.

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 01:23 PM
:lol: :lol:

wist43
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
That's one of my favorite MP skits... right up there with "The Ministry of Silly Walks" :lol:

With government backing... I'm sure I can make it very silly :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlBUglE6Hc

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I think a #3 QB will get signed.

Patler
08-30-2009, 02:16 PM

I think so too. MM has demonstrated by his reactions on the field and has made comments in interviews that show a lot of frustration with Brohm.

retailguy
08-30-2009, 02:48 PM

If Flynn is hurt worse than advertised, I think a #2 QB gets signed, or traded for. Josh Johnson and Tyler Thigpen (whom I really like) rumors are flying.

Patler
08-30-2009, 03:03 PM

If Flynn is hurt worse than advertised, I think a #2 QB gets signed, or traded for. Josh Johnson and Tyler Thigpen (whom I really like) rumors are flying.

Yup, if Flynn is hurt the "other" QB needs to be able to play. Right now Brohm can't.

wist43
08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Harlan, only you can take the fun out of Monty Python, lol... :lol:

pbmax
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Kapinos was working as holder again and McCarthy said he erred in not letting Flynn hold.

Thigpen may no longer be available depending on Matt Cassel's injury.

Patler
08-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Kapinos was working as holder again and McCarthy said he erred in not letting Flynn hold.

Thigpen may no longer be available depending on Matt Cassel's injury.

Good of MM to say that. I wondered why they didn't have him hold, even if he wasn't going to play, unless the shoulder bothers him in certain positions. I felt bad for Crosby last night, he looked frustrated to no end after the last miss, and seemed to glare at MM in utter disbelief at what was happening to him. Too bad. He seemed in a pretty positive frame of mind before Friday night.

Fritz
09-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't be messing with a kicker's head. That's set in stone in the coaches' ten commandments, which Amos Alonzo Stagg carried down from the Appalachian mountains.

I guess the holder can't be your # 3 QB, right, because he can only play if a QB gets hurt. Is that so?

So you get either the backup QB or the punter, in most cases.

So how does TT improve that situation? Would anyone here be willing to sign a guy to just be a holder, or to use someone who plays an altogether different position, like wide receiver or tight end or running back?

Or should MM just have kept having Flynn work on it and not wavered and gone to Frost so quickly? Or do you settle for a lesser punter if he's a good holder?

Cheesehead Craig
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Harlan, only you can take the fun out of Monty Python, lol... :lol:
No he didn't

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Brohm seems to have turned a corner the last couple of days. Several reporters have said they have easily been his best practices since he's been here. I'm guessing they are going with Flynn and Brohm--unless Flynn's injury is considered serious.

Patler
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Brohm seems to have turned a corner the last couple of days. Several reporters have said they have easily been his best practices since he's been here. I'm guessing they are going with Flynn and Brohm--unless Flynn's injury is considered serious.

Brohm should get a lot of time in the final game. Hopefully he has turned a corner.

Guiness
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM

No you don't.

Yes, you DO.

No it isn't.

Stupid Git

KYPack
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
(See thread title)

A woman to attend team functions with him?

Fritz
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Or a man to attend team functions with. What the hell.

KYPack
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Or a man to attend team functions with. What the hell.

I'd think there's a lipstick or two in GB that would "front" for Teddy T

Fritz
09-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually, I think he's asexual. Thinks football and only football. Even having a temporary date for functions would take away from his constant mulling over the roster, the draft, the salary cap.

How could he have an internal dialogue on that left-footed punter from Western South Dakota State Technical Center versus the Aboriginal Australian rugby kicker from Brisbane if he has to say hi to some woman he's taking to a function?

MJZiggy
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
He needs a woman he can discuss these things with. Watch a little film with him before leaving for the dinner and discuss. I'd volunteer, but he probably needs someone taller.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Have you people all joined Tank's cult?

MJZiggy
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I quasi-volunteer to be his woman and you're thinking I'm aligning with Tank? I'm not sure how to take that... :?

Administrator

Who is tank?

Fritz
What, is there some correlation between being tall and being able to break down film?

Zig, if you can help Ted help the Packers by both being his date AND breaking down film to help Thompson find his next sixth-round star, then you're being delinquent in your duties if you're not in Green Bay right now,

Ted: Honey, what movie would you like to see tonight?

MJ: How about last year's second Bears game - and can we focus on the offensive line play tonight, Sugar? I think I've spotted Spitz's problem - it's about his pad level.

Ted: Anything for you, Doll. I'm so excited!

MJZiggy
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Who is tank?

The only person to be permanently and irrevocably banned from PR (twice--once by popular vote). A.K.A APB (Anti-Polar Bear). In short, Tank was an idiot.

swede
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Who is tank?

The only person to be permanently and irrevocably banned from PR (twice--once by popular vote). A.K.A APB (Anti-Polar Bear). In short, Tank was an idiot.

We need to invite him back just so Administrator can see what a real forum screwball is like.

pbmax
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Who is tank?

We need to invite him back just so Administrator can see what a real forum screwball is like.
But he did have tremendous skills. He could start an argument at a Quaker meeting.

He also loved Logan Mankins to an unhealthy degree.

MichiganPackerFan
09-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Who is tank?

Was he the one who couldn't shut the hell up about Coldplay? Every five minutes a new thread or comment on them. He should have been banned for that alone.