PDA

View Full Version : Cuts

KYPack
08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
We've got a pretty good crew on here, now. A group that is fully capable of getting in a good, old-fahioned, football argument. My canoe trip was cancelled today, so it's time to argue about the final roster.

Here's my take on the final roster cuts.

Make known your thoughts and present last minute arguments for your favorites to make the roster.

1 Brett Swain
2. JaRon Harris
3. Evan Dietrich-Smith
4. Alfred Malone
5. Andrew Hartline
6. Dean Muhtadi
7. Brad Jones
8 Stryker Sulak
9. Trevor Ford
10. Joe Porter
11. Michael Montgomery T
12. Kory Hall T
13. Kole Heckendorf
14. Jake Allen
15. Evan Moore
16. Ronald Talley
17. DeShawn Wynn
18 Kregg Lumpkin
19 Durrant Brooks
20 Tony Moll T

IR
Pat Lee
Aaron Rouse
Justin Harrell

This is pretty slippery in that I've got 3 trades (all for late round picks) in this list. Monty, Hall, & Moll would be trade bait. They will very lucky to pull off one.

Sutton wins the RB derby. Lump and Wynn get picked up by other clubs. Mike Montgomery was a tough call, he's played well and built his body. Wynn is a draft pick and gets that job.

They go one more year with the Kiddie QB back-ups.

Lee, Rouse, & Harrell get one year reprieves, all of 'em being prized draft picks.

Fire back and fire away.

MJZiggy
08-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Who've they got on the PS?

KYPack
08-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Who've they got on the PS?

That depends on who is still around after the league picks thru the Packer cuts. Lots of teams are watching GB to see what they can get from the final waivers.

Bossman641
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
KY,

So you think they go with Johnson and Kuhn at FB? How did the FB's do against the Cards?

Scott Campbell
So you think were not likely to trade Wells and keep the rook FA from Idaho State? I heard he played very well in week 1, but I haven't heard a peep since then.

mraynrand
It will be sad to see Kole "The Dorf" Heckendorf go.

KYPack
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
KY,

So you think they go with Johnson and Kuhn at FB? How did the FB's do against the Cards?

Kuhn played well. Scored the TD and played well in all phases. Johnson caught one of two balls & blew some people up. I feel like he earned his hat against AZ. Hall was like the invisible man. I imagine he's gone.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't think Harrell is going to IR. He said himself that he should be back (however I'm sure he has probably said something like this before).

http://www.packers.com/
There is a video from Aug. 25 were Harrell says he is responding to the medication and that he should be back.

mraynrand
08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Giacomini sucked so bad against the Cards, he might have 'played' his way off the team. At this point a Gatorade cooler out there and it would have been more effective. Does a Gatorade cooler count as a roster spot?

http://www.eastbay.com/images/products/zoom/49032_z.jpg

Patler
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't think Sutton makes it. The "biggest" play he was in for all preseason was the 2 point attempt at the end of the game. He could have walked into the end zone if he followed Johnson. He missed it completely. I don't think it was happenstance that he was in for that play. I think they wanted to see how he did, and he failed. I think they will waive him and try to get him on the practice squad. Wynn will be #3 again.

KYPack
08-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Giacomini sucked so bad against the Cards, he might have 'played' his way off the team. At this point a Gatorade cooler out there and it would have been more effective. Does a Gatorade cooler count as a roster spot?

Breno showed huge holes in his game. Fake him inside, swim him and speed rush your way to the QB. A rookie LOLB beat the shit out of him.

It was very Wil Whittaker-like.

Barbre ain't no oil painting, either. He did some ugly stuff on run blocks against AZ. His pass pro is improving and Campen and the boys can iron out his run blocking deficiencies.

Breno sticks on the roster. When Cliffy finally goes, they will work Breno for a look at LT. They will look, I dunno what they will see.

mraynrand
08-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I assume that Darius Butler, Derek Cox, and Brandon Tate (PUP, IR?) are going to make the squad even withe their 'hamstring' injuries.

KYPack
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
So you think were not likely to trade Wells and keep the rook FA from Idaho State? I heard he played very well in week 1, but I haven't heard a peep since then.

Wells and Spitz are the only two centers on the roster. Preston was the only C I remember prior to his being cut.

MRD, I dunno anything about those guys. Frischknect is the only guy I see on IR.

Educate me, pal. Ya lost me on that one.

Patler
08-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Breno showed huge holes in his game. Fake him inside, swim him and speed rush your way to the QB. A rookie LOLB beat the shit out of him.

It was very Wil Whittaker-like.

Barbre ain't no oil painting, either. He did some ugly stuff on run blocks against AZ. His pass pro is improving and Campen and the boys can iron out his run blocking deficiencies.

Breno sticks on the roster. When Cliffy finally goes, they will work Breno for a look at LT. They will look, I dunno what they will see.

Overall, the hoped-for depth on the O-line looked a little suspect Friday night. Giacomini has had rough spots the last two games in pass protection, which I thought was supposed to be his strong point.

Anyone watch close enough to form an opinion on Lang's performance?

pbmax
08-30-2009, 11:31 AM

http://www.eastbay.com/images/products/zoom/49032_z.jpg
No, but it does count against the cap. $6.99.

KYPack
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
More about Halls performance on Friday:

"too much open field between Korey Hall and Joe Porter on the on-side kick that Neil Rackers kicked and recovered for Arizona in the fourth quarter.

“Yeah there was way too much space between those guys,” Slocum said. “We should have been better balanced, and their kicker took advantage of that.”

It was probably Porter's screw-up, but Hall should have checked up on the space.

Hall, to me, just hasn't developed.

channtheman
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think Sutton makes it. The "biggest" play he was in for all preseason was the 2 point attempt at the end of the game. He could have walked into the end zone if he followed Johnson. He missed it completely. I don't think it was happenstance that he was in for that play. I think they wanted to see how he did, and he failed. I think they will waive him and try to get him on the practice squad. Wynn will be #3 again.

I doubt that Sutton would have made the 2 point play if he had followed Johnson, let alone "walked into the end zone." The AZ linebacker was ready to hit Sutton whether he went right with Johnson or whether he went where he did. I think the result is the same in both instances, no 2 pt. conversion.

pbmax
08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Evan Dietrich-Smith plays at center, but so far he has only seen time against the 3rd string in games that I have seen.

Lang was OK versus the Cards, but they all were guilty of some bad plays. On the whole, Lang and Moll held up better than the right side, but it wasn't lights out. I saw Lang with two nice run blocks and one decent pass block, but those all came after the Cards took the 1st team D out.

I think Wells is guaranteed to stick as backup C. Preston is gone obviously, but if Dietrich-Smith was going to man the position, he would have seen some time at center versus the 2s.

Fosco33
08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I could be way off... but I recall when Hall was out last year with the knee injury that the running game fell off (and when he returned, so did RG's performance).

Haven't followed much of TC but I like the rook to start and Hall as the backup. Not a huge fan of either Kuhn or Hall but I'd give it to Hall.

Patler
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM

I doubt that Sutton would have made the 2 point play if he had followed Johnson, let alone "walked into the end zone." The AZ linebacker was ready to hit Sutton whether he went right with Johnson or whether he went where he did. I think the result is the same in both instances, no 2 pt. conversion.

I disagree. Had he cut it up field behind Johnson he was in easily. He went where there was nothing toward the endzone. He had steps free behind Johnson who drove his guy into the endzone. He took space parallel to the endzone instead of available space toward the endzone.

Fosco33
08-30-2009, 12:14 PM
QB - get rid of Brohm with some penicillin next year without vast improvement
RB - cut Lumpy and Kuhn; I like Sutton as a future project
WR - cut Dorf, Harris; hope Swain and Allen can sit on the PS
TE - IR for Frisch; Moore for PS (keep Havner in there for dual potential)
OL - cut Hartline, Randolf; fight between Moll and Meredith (edge to Mere); D-Smith to PS?
DL - Toribio, Malone, Muhtadi; Harrel to IR (bust); Talley to PS (keep Montgomery and Wynn)
LB - Sulak, Lasangna; fight for last spot between Jones and Obio (edge to Greene's project)
DB - Ford (PS), Porter is out, Bush should be too; toughest call left IMO (Rouse, Peprah, Lee) - injuries...
Rest - one or both punters

jmbarnes101
08-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't think Harrell is going to IR. He said himself that he should be back (however I'm sure he has probably said something like this before).

http://www.packers.com/
There is a video from Aug. 25 were Harrell says he is responding to the medication and that he should be back.

Could he be put on the PUP list or would have to go on the active roster if not on IR?

pbmax
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Packer Update guy had a tweet worth kicking around. Jamon Meredith did not seem to play last night that I remember.]

If true, are they hiding him to get him to the PS? Or is there an injury?

I don't think hiding him will work, because if he hasn't been a clubhouse lawyer in the pros, then most of the questions about him disappear and he grades higher than a fifth round pick.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2009, 01:54 PM
1 Brett Swain
2. JaRon Harris
3. Evan Dietrich-Smith
4. Alfred Malone
5. Andrew Hartline
6. Dean Muhtadi
7. Brad Jones
8 Stryker Sulak
9. Trevor Ford
10. Joe Porter
11. Michael Montgomery T
12. Kory Hall T
13. Kole Heckendorf
14. Jake Allen
15. Evan Moore
16. Ronald Talley
17. DeShawn Wynn
18 Kregg Lumpkin
19 Durrant Brooks
20 Tony Moll T .

Tony Moll makes it (barely) because they are so thin at tackle, he can sort-of play a lot of positions, and he has game experience.

I think the Packers aren't playing Wynn much in preseason because he made the roster because of his blocking, size, 2-year progress. I'm not sure another team will sign Sutton to an active roster, I bet they have a shot to get him on the practice squad.

I think Brohm is still practice squad eligible. Nobody would give up a roster spot to sign him.

Patler
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Packer Update guy had a tweet worth kicking around. Jamon Meredith did not seem to play last night that I remember.]

If true, are they hiding him to get him to the PS? Or is there an injury?

I don't think hiding him will work, because if he hasn't been a clubhouse lawyer in the pros, then most of the questions about him disappear and he grades higher than a fifth round pick.

Interesting question if he in fact did not play. According to the gamebook, he did play, but it could have been just on STs or something. I agree that getting him to the PS would be a long shot.

A couple days ago the guy on Packer Update said Meredith was a better prospect than Giacomini.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Agreed. I hadn't seen much of the second half of the first two games. He didn't impress me in the last game. He looked very slow on those kickoffs. He looks like another Noah Herron. I suspect Grant, Jackson, and Wynn make it. I'm a little disappointed Lumpkin hasn't played better because he's an intriguing talent.

Patler
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Packer Update guy had a tweet worth kicking around.

He has had a number of interesting comments the last couple weeks:
- Meredith a better prospect than Giacomini.
- Had Ford as 4th best CB before Arizons, now 5th behind Backmon.
- Ravens interested in Jordy Nelson, Packers not selling at this point.
- Doesn't like Havner as either a TE or LB.
- Thinks Tyler Thigpen could be gotten for a 4th, and would fit perfectly.
- Expects Poppinga to be seen less after season starts.
- Still doesn't think Kampman fits at OLB.

Patler
08-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm a little disappointed Lumpkin hasn't played better because he's an intriguing talent.

I agree. I expected more out of Lumpkin. I've sort of forgotten, has he been hurt in TC?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
I guess i really don't get the fascination with Lumpkin. He just is a guy.

He has never been the same back since being injured in college. You can see what he could have been, but i just don't think he'll ever be that again.

DonHutson
08-30-2009, 04:24 PM
KY, the only differences I have in my final roster and yours are that I would keep Brad Jones over Obiozor and Hall over Kuhn. Both are close to toss-ups however.

The FB situation has been hashed out in detail in another thread. As for the last OLB spot, to me Jones has flashed more in games despite missing a lot of time with injuries. I know they seem to like Obiozor's potential, hopefully they can sneak him on to the practice squad.

Patler
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM

He has never been the same back since being injured in college. You can see what he could have been, but i just don't think he'll ever be that again.

I wasn't expecting a lot, but he has shown little of nothing this year. I just thought he might be a consideration for the 3rd back. I don't think he is.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2009, 05:12 PM

I wasn't expecting a lot, but he has shown little of nothing this year. I just thought he might be a consideration for the 3rd back. I don't think he is.

I see.

I just never expected or saw much from the beginning. I followed him from high school...and he just never put it together at GA...for whatever reason.

I'd rather have Wynn, every day, all day. Or even Sutton. Or even Herron.

pbmax
08-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Both JSO and GBPG speculate that Brooks, Sulak and Harris were absent (excused is McCarthy's term) because they are about to be released.

Lurker64
08-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Both JSO and GBPG speculate that Brooks, Sulak and Harris were absent (excused is McCarthy's term) because they are about to be released.

Just because I did a double take when reading that, you're talking about JaRon not Al, right?

pbmax
08-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Just because I did a double take when reading that, you're talking about JaRon not Al, right?
Yep. J Harris, as they had it in the Post Gazette. :D

Sparkey
08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
We've got a pretty good crew on here, now. A group that is fully capable of getting in a good, old-fahioned, football argument. My canoe trip was cancelled today, so it's time to argue about the final roster.

Here's my take on the final roster cuts.

Make known your thoughts and present last minute arguments for your favorites to make the roster.

1 Brett Swain
2. JaRon Harris
3. Evan Dietrich-Smith
4. Alfred Malone
5. Andrew Hartline
6. Dean Muhtadi
7. Brad Jones
8 Stryker Sulak
9. Trevor Ford
10. Joe Porter
11. Michael Montgomery T
12. Kory Hall T
13. Kole Heckendorf
14. Jake Allen
15. Evan Moore
16. Ronald Talley
17. DeShawn Wynn
18 Kregg Lumpkin
19 Durrant Brooks
20 Tony Moll T

IR
Pat Lee
Aaron Rouse
Justin Harrell

This is pretty slippery in that I've got 3 trades (all for late round picks) in this list. Monty, Hall, & Moll would be trade bait. They will very lucky to pull off one.

Sutton wins the RB derby. Lump and Wynn get picked up by other clubs. Mike Montgomery was a tough call, he's played well and built his body. Wynn is a draft pick and gets that job.

They go one more year with the Kiddie QB back-ups.

Lee, Rouse, & Harrell get one year reprieves, all of 'em being prized draft picks.

Fire back and fire away.

Wynn will not get cut. When Sutton returned kicks, he showed that he does not have the top speed guys his size need to make a difference. Sutton will be back on the PS.

Wynn has too much talent and is so solid in blitz pick-ups that you have to keep him!

hoosier
08-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Brandon Jackson has an ankle sprain that JSO called "serious." He'll miss at least a week, but if it really meets the definition of serious he's probably going to be out or limited for somewhat longer. With that in mind, I can't imagine the Packers would cut both Lumpy and Sutton and leave themselves with Grant, Wynn (who has his own history of not staying health) and a hobbled Jackson. Sutton probably makes the final cut because of the tenuous health of his competition. Plus, JSO also alluded to a rumor that at least two other teams are eyeing Sutton and would sign him if cut. It doesn't sound like he could stashed on the practice squad in case Wynn goes down--again.

KYPack
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Brandon Jackson has an ankle sprain that JSO called "serious." He'll miss at least a week, but if it really meets the definition of serious he's probably going to be out or limited for somewhat longer. With that in mind, I can't imagine the Packers would cut both Lumpy and Sutton and leave themselves with Grant, Wynn (who has his own history of not staying health) and a hobbled Jackson. Sutton probably makes the final cut because of the tenuous health of his competition. Plus, JSO also alluded to a rumor that at least two other teams are eyeing Sutton and would sign him if cut. It doesn't sound like he could stashed on the practice squad in case Wynn goes down--again.

I actually started this thread bc I was trying to figure out which of these guys (RB's) they would keep. I decided I had to get an idea of how all the cuts would play out. Once I made my list, I realized it'd be a fun thread. I really can't make a clear cut pick btwn Wynn & Sutton. I really think they gotta keep 3 RB's. There is too much talent and too many needs in other spots to go 4 deep at RB.

Sutton did really freak me out with that slow ass return. It was shades of N Herron. Also, he could work on blitz pick-up for the rest of his life and never be effective, he's too short. if you think like a coach, Wynn is a 3 down guy who can block and do blitz pick-up. Sutton is a KR (maybe) and a 3rd down-change of pace guy.

I'm now leaning to Wynn sticking and them trying to sneak Sutton on the PS. It probably won't work out for 'em, but it's worth a shot.

digitaldean
08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
With Durant Brooks gone, let's see how long Kapinos can keep up punting like he did vs. AZ.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM

I actually started this thread bc I was trying to figure out which of these guys (RB's) they would keep. I decided I had to get an idea of how all the cuts would play out. Once I made my list, I realized it'd be a fun thread. I really can't make a clear cut pick btwn Wynn & Sutton. I really think they gotta keep 3 RB's. There is too much talent and too many needs in other spots to go 4 deep at RB.

Sutton did really freak me out with that slow ass return. It was shades of N Herron. Also, he could work on blitz pick-up for the rest of his life and never be effective, he's too short. if you think like a coach, Wynn is a 3 down guy who can block and do blitz pick-up. Sutton is a KR (maybe) and a 3rd down-change of pace guy.

I'm now leaning to Wynn sticking and them trying to sneak Sutton on the PS. It probably won't work out for 'em, but it's worth a shot.

So much for that vaunted speed. :wink:

Sutton reminds me in a way of Emmit..he knows how to run, slip, accelerate at the righgt time...of course not in the same caliber as Emmit.

But clearly he isn't a sproles like back.

I'm surprised that many didn't know that..as I watched him against the badgers. Very nice college back.

mraynrand
08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Combine Comparison to Jones-Drew

Jones-Drew 5-6
(weight, 40 yard, 20ss, 3-cone, vert, BP, dummy test)
207 lb* 4.39s* 4.41s* 7.08s* 36 in* 18*[3]
Sutton 5-8
211 4.68 4.32 6.94 30 12 (pro day)

Fritz
08-31-2009, 06:51 AM
My sense is that the talent at other positions at which you might keep an "extra" player is greater than the depth of talent at running back. Thus I can't see keeping 4 backs, even if Jackson's injury might keep him inactive for the first month.

On that note, I think that unless Wynn suffers yet another injury in the next week or so, he'll stick. He can pick up blitzers, and Sutton has not shown that ability. Protecting A. Rodgers would seem to be a higher priority than being able to gain an extra three yards on a carry because you're a shiftier back, especially when you're looking at only getting maybe three to six carries per game.

And Tony Moll. Cripes. If they keep him at the expense of the supposed future left takcle, Meredith, I might cry. I know, I know - depth. But if Meredith has been developing and hasn't been a locker room problem, I don't think you should run the risk of another team picking him up on waivers. I doubt that many guys can get "sneaked through" to a practice squad any more. Heck, if WE know about the guy, you have to think every other teams' scouts do, too.

pbmax
08-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Combine Comparison to Jones-Drew

Jones-Drew 5-6
(weight, 40 yard, 20ss, 3-cone, vert, BP, dummy test)
207 lb*......4.39s*.......4.41s*.....7.08s*......36 in*.......18*[3]
Sutton 5-8
211............4.68..........4.32........6.94..... ....30............12 (pro day)
Those numbers would seem to indicate that 3rd gear has been removed from Tyrell's transmission. But the short space speed is probably, like Emmitt, what enables him to run inside.

pbmax
08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
And Tony Moll. Cripes. If they keep him at the expense of the supposed future left takcle, Meredith, I might cry. I know, I know - depth. But if Meredith has been developing and hasn't been a locker room problem, I don't think you should run the risk of another team picking him up on waivers. I doubt that many guys can get "sneaked through" to a practice squad any more. Heck, if WE know about the guy, you have to think every other teams' scouts do, too.
Maybe they are trying to trade Tony to the next team with a tackle injury? :lol:

I am not sure what they are doing, but I am afraid Meredith will not make the practice squad. Seems like a risk. But we find out in a week.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
And Tony Moll. Cripes. If they keep him at the expense of the supposed future left takcle, Meredith, I might cry.

They usually keep 4 or 5 backups. Wells, Meredith and Lang are in.

That leaves Moll and/or Giacomini to play musical chairs. If there are two chairs, everybody is a winner.

Noodle
08-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Disagree with you here. The biggest play as far as Sutton was concerned was the little flair he caught out of backfield on GB's last drive of the first half against the Cards. Little dude is hit head on about three yards short of the first down, but he keeps low leverage and drives the defender back, getting the first. Pretty impressive.

That's a 3rd down back for you. And I think Sutton would have no trouble learning the technique of chipping guys on blitz pickup, the other main responsibility for the 3rd down back. He doesn't need to blow anybody up, just slow 'em up or knock 'em off their line. Sutton seems tough enough for that.

Patler
08-31-2009, 09:34 AM

Disagree with you here. The biggest play as far as Sutton was concerned was the little flair he caught out of backfield on GB's last drive of the first half against the Cards. Little dude is hit head on about three yards short of the first down, but he keeps low leverage and drives the defender back, getting the first. Pretty impressive.

That's a 3rd down back for you. And I think Sutton would have no trouble learning the technique of chipping guys on blitz pickup, the other main responsibility for the 3rd down back. He doesn't need to blow anybody up, just slow 'em up or knock 'em off their line. Sutton seems tough enough for that.

I meant "biggest" in terms of significance at the time. The two point conversion was for significant points with how the game was going. At the end of the first half, the plays didn't seem significant in the context of the game. We wuz killin' 'em!

pbmax
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
And Tony Moll. Cripes. If they keep him at the expense of the supposed future left takcle, Meredith, I might cry.

They usually keep 4 or 5 backups. Wells, Meredith and Lang are in.

That leaves Moll and/or Giacomini to play musical chairs. If there are two chairs, everybody is a winner.
I don't think they are ready to give up on Giacomini, unless they are completely SOLD on Barbre. I think its quite a dropoff keeping Tony over Breno.

That makes it Meredith vs. Moll. I would understand staying with Meredith if they thought he could play this year, as Colledge could slide over mid-game so Meredith would get a week's worth of prep. But if that is the case, why has Meredith been absent versus the twos, and played very limited (if at all) LT versus the Cardinals?

Meredith is the odd guy right now and they may need to keep 10 to keep him.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't get why you think Giacomini is more valuable than Meredith.

pbmax
08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't get why you think Giacomini is more valuable than Meredith.
Assuming that Meredith has not climbed the depth chart in practice or exhibition games for sound reasons (rather than hiding him) I think its clear he is not as valuable this year. Giacomini has at least given the coaches a reason to think he can play this year at RT. In the dead middle of camp he took some of Barbre's snaps with the ones.

I think we would have heard SOMETHING about Meredith if he was close to ready this year.

McGinn pointed out a week ago or more that if they believe Lang is sufficiently skilled to become the new Moll (backup at guard and tackle) then Moll might be expendable and you keep Meredith as the 9th guy.

MichiganPackerFan
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Homer Simpson: Good practice, kids. Now it’s time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Wendell is cut. Rudy is cut. Janey, you're gone. Steven, I like your hustle
[Steven smiles]
Homer Simpson: . That's why it was so hard to cut you
[Steven's smile drops]
Homer Simpson: . Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!
[random sighs of relief]
Homer Simpson: Except you, you and you.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/midnighthours/homer.jpg

woodbuck27
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Nice thread. Thanks.

Tarlam!
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Mich, I laughed so hard I had the neighbors complaining. Thanks!

woodbuck27
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Roster cutdowns begin

August 31, 2009 12:32 PM Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

The NFL's first round of roster cuts aren't due until Tuesday, but already two NFC North teams have made the necessary moves to get their rosters to 75. There are no surprises and none were expected, but here are the names for those who would like to keep track.

Green Bay released: Punter Durant Brooks, receiver JaRon Harris and linebacker Stryker Sulak.

Comment: Brooks' departure leaves Jeremy Kapinos as the only punter in camp.

MichiganPackerFan
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Mich, I laughed so hard I had the neighbors complaining. Thanks!

Thanks!

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Green Bay released: Punter Durant Brooks, receiver JaRon Harris and linebacker Stryker Sulak.

Looks like Al knew what he was doing.

Waldo
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Maybe they are trying to trade Tony to the next team with a tackle injury? :lol:

I am not sure what they are doing, but I am afraid Meredith will not make the practice squad. Seems like a risk. But we find out in a week.

I would keep Meredith over Breno. A RTO that can't win the starting RT spot isn't worth anything. As a rookie, he is kept on upside. What is the reason this year. Are we going to have a new RT competition next year between the same players?

Though he sucks, Moll is a true swing player capable of playing 4 line positions. That in itself has a lot of bench value. Breno's only value to the team is if Barbre gets hurt. They aren't flipping Barbre around to other positions like can be done with Spitz to get Wells on the field.

Meredith is primed to take over for Moll next year. This year he is the raw with upside player. Next year when Tony walks in FA, Jamon takes over as the swing tackle unless he can start. Like Moll, he is a 4 position lineman.

We need 2 lineman to suit up for gamedays. A swing tackle and an interior backup. If we cut Moll our only swing tackle is Jamon. You don't get 2 years of being a weekly healthy scratch IMO.

Waldo
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Last year TT released the biggest name he wated to get on the practice squad with first cuts, Wynn.

Would not shock me if this is also the case. Though he has been quiet and hidden, it wouldn't surprise me if he showed up on our PS, especially if whichever of Jones or Obiozor that gets cut doesn't make it.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Last year TT released the biggest name he wated to get on the practice squad with first cuts, Wynn.

Would not shock me if this is also the case. Though he has been quiet and hidden, it wouldn't surprise me if he showed up on our PS, especially if whichever of Jones or Obiozor that gets cut doesn't make it.

It wouldn't surprise me either. But Sulek didn't spend anywhere near the amount of time in a GB uni that Wynn had. The bottom line is that he didn't think enough of either player to keep them protected on our roster. Now anyone is free to claim him, or recruit him to their practice squad.

My point was that Al would have looked a lot more foolish had he stuck to our 53 man roster.