PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks says Green Bay will start 5-1

boiga
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
• WINNER -- If there's one NFL team that's thrilled to see September finally arrive, it's the Green Bay Packers, who are finally almost in position to stop wasting such dominating performances on the preseason. They don't hand out shiny trophies for exhibition games, but if they did, the biggest one would be going to the 3-0 Packers, who were the closest thing in the league to a juggernaut in August.

The perfect record, of course, isn't the important part. The stuff that makes you sit up and take notice is the 38-10 halftime lead at NFC defending champion Arizona on Friday night, when both teams were playing their first-team units, the NFL-best 151.1 passer rating of quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and the whopping plus-10 turnover ratio (also the league's best) compiled by Green Bay's new-look 3-4 defense. And did we mention that in 12 drives of work, the Packers first-team offense has produced nine touchdowns, one field goal and nary a punt? On defense, Green Bay's first unit has played 12 series and surrendered only 10 points and 15 first downs.

To say that it's all clicking for Green Bay right now is the understatement of the young season, but the best news is the Packers have a great shot to keep their mojo rolling in the first two months of the regular season. In fact, I predict Green Bay will be no worse than 5-1 when November arrives, with a favorable early schedule that starts with back-to-back home games against Chicago and Cincinnati, and is followed by at St. Louis, at Minnesota, a fifth-week bye, then Detroit and at Cleveland.

All the hype in the NFC North so far this year has been centered on the high-profile quarterback changes in Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota. But that's about to change. Green Bay is clearly the team to beat in the division, and the Packers are about to force us to pay attention.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/01/winners.losers/index.html#ixzz0PtWS4sQC

Hmm... Banks is living in Madison these days, so maybe it's just the cheese rubbing off on him?

boiga
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Also, Peter King is calling the NFC the best division in the league!!

As far as division kingpins go, most everyone agrees the NFC East is king heading into the 2009 season. From one through four, the East is better than any division playing. But I think as the season dawns, Chicago-Minnesota-Green Bay is better than New York-Philadelphia-Dallas.

"I saw the Bears [Sunday] night,'' tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said Monday night, "and they're really good. The Packers are going up and down the field on everyone. I think we're the division to beat.''

I don't know what that means, but I think any one of three teams in the North could win 12 games.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/01/mail/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0Ptd6MhLy

He also talks about how great our offseason program is in that article.

Spaulding
09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Sounds like the Packer Express leaving the station on it's way to a 11-5 record and NFC North Division champs.

Just hoping all this love from writers isn't the kiss of death and injuries derail us from a potential dominating season.

red
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
its nice to see that its not just us with our green and gold goggles on

Tony Oday
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I HATE winning the Super Bowl in August/Sept...

I like an under the radar team dang it!

Partial
09-01-2009, 06:48 PM

As far as division kingpins go, most everyone agrees the NFC East is king heading into the 2009 season. From one through four, the East is better than any division playing. But I think as the season dawns, Chicago-Minnesota-Green Bay is better than New York-Philadelphia-Dallas.

"I saw the Bears [Sunday] night,'' tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said Monday night, "and they're really good. The Packers are going up and down the field on everyone. I think we're the division to beat.''

I don't know what that means, but I think any one of three teams in the North could win 12 games.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/01/mail/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0Ptd6MhLy

There is just no way I can believe that. Plaxico or not, I want nothing to do with the Giants and that DL when healthy. Philly is going to be a juggernaut too by season's end I would think (they're relying on too many young players to start the year) if McNabb stays healthy. 'Boys should be good.

To me, it looks like I'd rank them in this order without considering injuries:
1. Philly
2. NY
3. GB
4. D
5. Min
6. Chi

Brando19
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM

There is just no way I can believe that. Plaxico or not, I want nothing to do with the Giants and that DL when healthy. Philly is going to be a juggernaut too by season's end I would think (they're relying on too many young players to start the year) if McNabb stays healthy. 'Boys should be good.

1. Philly
2. NY
3. GB
4. D
5. Min
6. Chi

#4...is that Dallas or Detroit? :lol:

I like your list. Could be right. Here's what I think.

1. Philly
2. Green Bay
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. New York
6. Chicago

Fritz
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I've got a boner!

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I think New Orleans gets back in the hunt this season.

Brando19
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Reggie Bush sucks. I think they'll be the same team from last year.

KYPack
09-01-2009, 07:55 PM

He's a small part of that offense. They can go down the field and the D is much improved. They could be a big thing again.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Gregg Williams is their Dom Capers. And their offense rivals ours. Write them off at your own peril.

Administrator
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM

He's a small part of that offense. They can go down the field and the D is much improved. They could be a big thing again.

What do you think about Pierre Thomas? Is he the real deal? Also, will Mike Bell help with third downs, or is Payton just screwing with the fantasy football owners?

mraynrand
09-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Who is Don Banks?

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Who is Don Banks?

He's a national writer for SI, I believe. He was a Vikings beat writer here in the Twin Cities before moving onto the national scene. Interestingly, Kevin Seifert is a former Vikings beat writer working for ESPN now. He covers the NFC North.

Zool
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM

1. Philly
2. NY
3. GB
4. D
5. Min
6. Chi

Cant we just bump the threads from last year and the year before where you crown the NFC East the best div in football and I make fun of you for it?

Tony Oday
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Why is there all this Philly love? I bet they go 8-8 with McNabb and Westbrook out by week 8

Merlin
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think Chicago will be all that great this year. They finally have a QB and I think they will go as his attitude goes. Defensively, they don't scare me like they used to.

pbmax
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM

I like an under the radar team dang it!
Exactly. We need to start a whisper campaign to deflate expectations. If only we had a website to post this stuff on...

:D

boiga
09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

I like an under the radar team dang it! Me too, honestly. If it makes you feel better, ESPN's TMQ quy thinks we stink but will have a winning record anyway:
Green Bay: The Packers got off to a decent start in 2008, then lost seven of eight, ending the season 6-10 despite facing only four teams that made the playoffs. So should they be taken seriously in 2009? Check the depth chart: This team just isn't particularly talented. The Packers have spent five of their last seven first-round draft choices on two positions: linebacker and defensive tackle. Seven of their last 12 first-round choices were invested in linebackers and defensive linemen. That means other positions on the team are starved for talent -- and it's not even clear the front seven will be particularly good.

Now take a gander at Green Bay's 2009 schedule. Everyone's talking about the Oct. 5 "Monday Night Football" contest against the Vikings and Brett Favre, an obvious candidate for highest-rated "Monday Night Football" game ever. But what jumps out at me about the sked is what doesn't happen: Until December, Green Bay does not face a team that made the playoffs last year. By Thanksgiving, Green Bay will have played the Lions twice, plus played the Rams, Bengals and Browns -- all awful teams. This is a cupcake schedule that would make Auburn jealous. If the Packers can't arrive at December with a winning record, they'll have only themselves to blame.

How the mighty have fallen! At one point, Green Bay and Buffalo were a combined 22-0 at home in the playoffs; since then, they are a combined 2-4 at home in the playoffs. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/090901&sportCat=nfl

Does that help with the deflation?

Also, Peter King must hate us. His projected standings here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html) have us 10-6, but losing the NFC championship AGAIN to the fricken BEARS. Man would that suck.

pbmax
09-02-2009, 06:31 PM

I like an under the radar team dang it! Me too, honestly. If it makes you feel better, ESPN's TMQ quy thinks...

...Check the depth chart: This team just isn't particularly talented. The Packers have spent five of their last seven first-round draft choices on two positions: linebacker and defensive tackle. Seven of their last 12 first-round choices were invested in linebackers and defensive linemen. That means other positions on the team are starved for talent --

Yes, but it also reminds me of why I no longer read Gregg Easterbrook. 5 of seven draft picks sounds impressive, except that he doesn't note that in one years we did not have a 1st round pick. So his data goes back to Javon Walker's draft.

He also fails to note that the first Packer pick (regardless of round) in those draft years have yielded: Javon Walker (possibly insane, but good), Nick Barnett, Grabby McSmurf, Aaron Rodgers, AJ Hawk, Justin Harrell, Jordy Nelson, BJ Raji. That is four hits (I am counting Nelson) plus a wait and see on Raji. 5 potential starters from 8 years of drafting is not too shabby in any single round.

And then there is the fact that with FA and the average career span, going back through a draft 12 years ago is an exercise in futility. So much for his second number.

And the fact that he gives no evidence that by drafting different positons in the first round prevents you from being depleted in other areas. What it probably means is that Easterbrook will not know you unless you were drafted in the first round, or on a team that is better than 6-10.

And one of those areas he considers depleted is WR, which tells us all you need to know about the football acumen of Gregg Easterbrook.

EDIT: And the fact that Easterbrook's first number makes no sense. The last seven Packer first round picks were: Raji, Harrell, Hawk, Rodgers, Carroll, Barnett, Walker. That's 2 DTs, 2 LBs, 1 QB, 1 CB and 1 WR. Moron.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Ty stopped reading him after his Kill Bill anti semtic bs.

Don't bother sending an email, i'm sure he will waffle like he did with global warming...virulently against it, now sure it is happening. Not to mention mischaracterizing the data and just some piss poor logic.

What is really most funny about him, is that he likes to give off the intellectual vibe but then always had the the cheerleader shots. It always reminded me of an in the closet gay talking about how hot the chicks were...but, never talking or making a move on one.

boiga
09-02-2009, 07:21 PM
It's hard to take him seriously considering the obsession with Christmas decorations and taste in faux women.

But I do enjoy when he attacks the echo chamber consensus of the standard talking head sports media. Sure, he's full of crap most of the time, but at least it's amusing.

I mean, how can you hate a guy who will refer to Cutler as "gruntled" for the rest of his stay in chicago?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2009, 07:33 PM
PB,

thought it would be an interesting excercise looking at another team's draft picks and distribution.

Steelers: Chad Scott, Alan Faneca, Troy Edwards, Plaxico, Casey Hampton, Kendall Simmons, Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes, Lawrence Timmons, Rashard Mendenhall, and Evander Hood.

Hmm, 5 out 12 were WRs and LBs/DL.

Pats: Chris Canty, Robert Edwards, Damien Woody, Adrian Klemm, Richard Seymour, Dan Graham, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, laurence Maroney, Brandon Merriweather, Jerod Mayo.

Hmm...6 picks out 12 are either OL or DL.

Sigh.

MichiganPackerFan
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Never saw it and as a fan of the films, I am curious. Do you have a link?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Never saw it and as a fan of the films, I am curious. Do you have a link?

It was like 5 or six years ago. From what i recall, espn pulled the column. You could try searching for it on the internet wayback machine.

Here is a portion, from wiki on easterbrook:

Easterbrook also had a blog[18] at The New Republic Online, until mid-2004. In October 2003, in a column critical of what he considered to be the senseless violence in the Quentin Tarantino film Kill Bill, Easterbrook wrote the following:

Set aside what it says about Hollywood that today even Disney thinks what the public needs is ever-more-graphic depictions of killing the innocent as cool amusement. Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice.

This caused an uproar and accusations that Easterbrook and The New Republic were anti-semitic. Easterbrook wrote that he "mangled" his own ideas by his choice of words and wrote the following to explain his thought process and to apologize:[19]

Twenty minutes after I pressed "send," the entire world had read it. When I reread my own words and beheld how I'd written things that could be misunderstood, I felt awful. To anyone who was offended I offer my apology, because offense was not my intent. But it was 20 minutes later, and already the whole world had seen it... My attempt to connect my perfectly justified horror at an ugly and corrupting movie to the religious faith and ethnic identity of certain executives was hopelessly clumsy...accusing a Christian of adoring money above all else does not engage any history of ugly stereotypes. Accuse a Jewish person of this and you invoke a thousand years of stereotypes about that which Jews have specific historical reasons to fear. What I wrote here was simply wrong, and for being wrong, I apologize.

MichiganPackerFan
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I do recall a lot of that now. Thanks. I stopped reading him when he bored the shit out of me with nonsense.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

Spaulding
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
The Packer wagon appears to be gaining momentum. Peter King was on the Herd and stated he felt the Packers would make the playoffs and that the Eagles would be the odd team out not to make it. He further gushed about Rodgers (expected) and what he believes will be a far better defense.

As Don Banks is thinking the same, might be an SI conspiracy to jinx the Pack.

Also, whoever was filling in for Scott Van Pelt on ESPN radio (Ryan?) picked the Packers to win the NFC. Needless to say he got called out on it but was fun to hear.

denverYooper
09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
The Packer wagon appears to be gaining momentum. Peter King was on the Herd and stated he felt the Packers would make the playoffs and that the Eagles would be the odd team out not to make it. He further gushed about Rodgers (expected) and what he believes will be a far better defense.

As Don Banks is thinking the same, might be an SI conspiracy to jinx the Pack.

Also, whoever was filling in for Scott Van Pelt on ESPN radio (Ryan?) picked the Packers to win the NFC. Needless to say he got called out on it but was fun to hear.

Peter King feels spurned by Favre and he's trying to make Brett jealous by making out with the new boy in town. :lol:

I've always felt that King was more of a gossip columnist. He gets more into the characters and what they're up to than the game itself. I actually like his column for that reason, but I don't see him as much of an authority.

Guiness
09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Gregg Williams is their Dom Capers. And their offense rivals ours. Write them off at your own peril.

I would've been just as happy with GW as I am with DC. Both top notch, and I expect the 'aints defense will be improved this year.

mmmdk
09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll take that 5-1 record prediction and run with it! We started 2-0 last season and fell from grace. I still predict a 10-6 record as teams will find holes in our learning defense (eventually) and the Packer run game might catch a cold along the way.

Kiwon
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
5-1 sounds good to me as along as that one loss is not to the Vikings.

mmmdk
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I see no loss to Yikes! :P

Dabaddestbear
09-04-2009, 06:22 AM

I like an under the radar team dang it! Me too, honestly. If it makes you feel better, ESPN's TMQ quy thinks we stink but will have a winning record anyway:
Green Bay: The Packers got off to a decent start in 2008, then lost seven of eight, ending the season 6-10 despite facing only four teams that made the playoffs. So should they be taken seriously in 2009? Check the depth chart: This team just isn't particularly talented. The Packers have spent five of their last seven first-round draft choices on two positions: linebacker and defensive tackle. Seven of their last 12 first-round choices were invested in linebackers and defensive linemen. That means other positions on the team are starved for talent -- and it's not even clear the front seven will be particularly good.

Now take a gander at Green Bay's 2009 schedule. Everyone's talking about the Oct. 5 "Monday Night Football" contest against the Vikings and Brett Favre, an obvious candidate for highest-rated "Monday Night Football" game ever. But what jumps out at me about the sked is what doesn't happen: Until December, Green Bay does not face a team that made the playoffs last year. By Thanksgiving, Green Bay will have played the Lions twice, plus played the Rams, Bengals and Browns -- all awful teams. This is a cupcake schedule that would make Auburn jealous. If the Packers can't arrive at December with a winning record, they'll have only themselves to blame.

How the mighty have fallen! At one point, Green Bay and Buffalo were a combined 22-0 at home in the playoffs; since then, they are a combined 2-4 at home in the playoffs. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/090901&sportCat=nfl

Also, Peter King must hate us. His projected standings here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html) have us 10-6, but losing the NFC championship AGAIN to the fricken BEARS. Man would that suck.
I thought was a pretty good assumption. :twisted:

MichiganPackerFan
09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I pretty much consider SI to be a photo magazine only and ESPN to simply be a sports related TMZ. Therefore I consider any of the writers or commentators from either to be simply entertainment value and no more. There are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between.

pbmax
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I pretty much consider SI to be a photo magazine only and ESPN to simply be a sports related TMZ. Therefore I consider any of the writers or commentators from either to be simply entertainment value and no more. There are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between.
You know, that is exactly right. As the pictures kept getting bigger, the writing became worse. Late 70s early to mid 80s, they had fantastic articles and writers. Gary Smith (best story on Tyson I have ever read), Frank DeFord, EM Swift on hockey, the story about a chess child prodigy (became a movie with Joe Matengna as the Dad - "Searching for Bobby Fischer" maybe?

You could also track the decline by idiotic headlines on the cover. One year they ran a "Where Are All the Good Centers" story when the NBA had David Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing and young Shaq.

But Peter King has a multimedia problem. As a game story writer or beat reporter, he is great. As Mr. NFL Insider, Information Guy on TV and Pundit on the Radio and Blogger, he is average at best.

mmmdk
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I agree and what has the world come to? Blame it on Obama and his minions of socialism - health care death camps for retarded sportswriters is the solution.

Bring back Bush and his paladins of fury; we need order not mercy. :wink:

This post is not affiliated in any way with any official sports-, entertainment- or other organisations. It is entirely an unofficial joke with a hidden opinion from, uhm me, and is written just for the fun of it.

MichiganPackerFan
09-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I agree and what has the world come to? Blame it on Obama and his minions of socialism - health care death camps for retarded sportswriters is the solution.

Bring back Bush and his paladins of fury; we need order not mercy. :wink:

This post is not affiliated in any way with any official sports-, entertainment- or other organisations. It is entirely an unofficial joke with a hidden opinion from, uhm me, and is written just for the fun of it.

"we the jury find the defendant legally and clinically insane"