PDA

View Full Version : NFL trades that need to happen before kickoff

MichiganPackerFan
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I thought this was interesting (but of course all of us at PR already know this!)

NFL trades that need to happen before kickoff by John Czarnecki

John Czarnecki has been the editorial consultant for FOX NFL Sunday since its 1994 inception. This season marks Czarnecki's 32nd year covering the NFL. He is one of 44 selectors to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Updated: September 2, 2009, 2:33 AM EDT

By and large, the NFL isn't much of a trading league when compared to baseball. Just look at the Dodgers making two trades just before Monday night's waiver wire deadline — a full one month after the MLB's much-hyped other trade deadline of July 31.

The NFL should allow trading until December 1 just in case a quarterback or another star goes down, giving teams a chance to still compete for a playoff spot. But, no, the NFL deadline is October 20, with 11 weeks and 65 percent of the season left to play. Some teams aren't even sure if they're legit contenders that early in the year.

Granted, the NFL has gotten better at this whole trading thing. Three starting quarterbacks changed teams this offseason, including the blockbuster Jay Cutler trade from Denver to Chicago. Also, two of the game's best tight ends, Tony Gonzalez and Kellen Winslow, switched locations.

There could be some trades before next week's final cuts; every team has to lube down to the final 53-man roster on September 5. The most obvious one would be Denver dealing petulant receiver Brandon Marshall, who is so unhappy with his $2.2 million contract that he's currently suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. New head coach Josh McDaniels has already shipped his franchise quarterback out of town, so why not pull the trigger on Marshall, who is simply following Cutler's crybaby lead?

The following are the 10 trades I would make if I called the shots:

1. WR Brandon Marshall to the Ravens: Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome finally found his quarterback last year, drafting Joe Flacco. But the receiving corps is aging and always nicked up. The Broncos want a high pick or picks for Marshall and the Ravens can afford to deal a first-round choice, knowing it should be in the bottom of the round. The Ravens are good enough, with Marshall, to end up in the Super Bowl.

Colts GM Bill Polian doesn't like malcontents like Marshall, but he should also be interested because Anthony Gonzalez isn't playing like Marvin Harrison in Indy.

2. WR Anquan Boldin to the Titans: The Cardinals really like two of their young receivers and they can part ways with Boldin, who simply wants to get away from Larry Fitzgerald's large shadow. The Titans have a huge need right now with Nate Washington lame with a hamstring and a rookie (Kenny Britt) in the starting lineup. How can Jeff Fisher expect Kerry Collins to win 13 games again without some quality receivers?

3. QB Luke McCown to the Packers: The Packers need a solid backup quarterback with Matt Flynn's shoulder hurting and Brian Brohm a major disappointment as a second-round pick. McCown might have been a better choice as the Bucs' starter, but rookie coach Raheem Morris preferred to go with Byron Leftwich until rookie Josh Freeman is ready. GM Mark Dominik doesn't want to pay McCown $2.5 million to sit the bench.

4. TE Ben Watson to the Bengals: This talented New England tight end has run into a numbers battle with Alex Smith and Chris Baker pushing for playing time. The Bengals, meanwhile, have a desperate need with Ben Utecht (concussion) on IR and Reggie Kelly hurt. Carson Palmer's new tight end is Daniel Coats, who played fullback last season. Palmer definitely needs some receiving help.

5. DT Anthony Montgomery to the Panthers: Ever since the Panthers lost mountain man Maake Kemoeatu at defensive tackle, GM Marty Hurney has been looking for a big replacement. Washington's Montgomery is 6-foot-6, 320 pounds and very unhappy about being demoted from the starting lineup with the arrival of Albert Haynesworth.

If the Packers release Justin Harrell, the Panthers would also probably give the bad-back former No. 1 pick a look.

6. WR Deion Branch to the Rams: It's rare to see an intra-division trade, but the Rams need a veteran receiver and this former Super Bowl MVP keeps slipping down the depth chart in Seattle. Branch was overpaid from the beginning and he's not a No. 1 receiver, but Marc Bulger needs some help simply making first downs.

7. QB A.J. Feeley to the Patriots: It's amazing how many times Feeley has been traded for a non-starter. The Eagles don't need him anymore with Michael Vick and Kevin Kolb around — Coach Andy Reid can survive with Donovan McNabb and Kolb until Vick is eligible in October — and the Patriots are looking because 2008 third-round pick Kevin O'Connell was released. Luke McCown would be great behind Tom Brady, but he's too pricey.

8. C Scott Wells to the Seahawks: Packers coach Mike McCarthy has benched his high-priced center and three-year starter in favor of Jason Spitz, plus the Seahawks have a need for healthy bodies on the interior of their offensive line. Who knows what will happen with Wells, while the Seahawks could also wait for Hank Fraley to be released by Cleveland.

9. Any Green Bay safety to the Falcons: The Packers have four safeties right now and will only keep three. Anthony Smith, who started last season for a period with the Steelers, has been pushing wild man Atari Bigby, who can't seem to avoid injuries. Atlanta needs secondary help badly and right now the Packers are loaded with defensive talent.

10. QB Tarvaris Jackson to the Jaguars: The Jaguars are looking for backup help for David Garrard, and Brad Childress — after he begged Brett Favre to unretire — will do the right thing and give his former second-round pick Jackson another chance ... plus his freedom from the Favre shadow. It's not a big gamble, either, because Minnesota management has its money and reputation tied up in Sage Rosenfels as well.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10008538/NFL-trades-that-need-to-happen-before-kickoff

sheepshead
09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
the Packers are loaded with defensive talent.

OUR GM didn't do this did he? NAWWWWWWWWWW

packrulz
09-02-2009, 09:40 AM
If TT only keeps 3 safeties it looks like he might keep Smith and let both Rouse and Peprah go. I don't want to trade any draft picks for McCown, I could see trading a player they're going to cut anyway. Huard was cut, he'd make a good back up.
Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers have released QB Damon Huard.

Merlin
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
The whole Wells situation is laughable. Spitz did not beat Wells out. The line simply isn't as good (which isn't saying much) with SPITZ at guard. That tells me Spitz too is only a center. All things being equal, you give it to the guy who does the job the best and at this point, I can't say who is because Wells does his job when he is in there with the scrubs just fine, it's just that everyone else is so terrible that he gets lost in the shuffle.

There is something else going on with this situation that we don't know about. Spitz is an inch taller than Wells and they weigh about the same so it isn't "size" as many argue that Wells is too small to be a center in the NFL. If that's the case, so is Spitz, and so was Frank Winters (6'3" 305#). Flannigan was 6'5" but often injured and replaced by who? Grey Ruegamer (6'4" 299#).

One other thing, Scott Wells did play guard for the Green Bay Packers so there goes the argument he can't play guard.

SkinBasket
09-02-2009, 11:37 AM
The whole Wells situation is laughable. Spitz did not beat Wells out. The line simply isn't as good (which isn't saying much) with SPITZ at guard. That tells me Spitz too is only a center. All things being equal, you give it to the guy who does the job the best and at this point, I can't say who is because Wells does his job when he is in there with the scrubs just fine, it's just that everyone else is so terrible that he gets lost in the shuffle.

There is something else going on with this situation that we don't know about. Spitz is an inch taller than Wells and they weigh about the same so it isn't "size" as many argue that Wells is too small to be a center in the NFL. If that's the case, so is Spitz, and so was Frank Winters (6'3" 305#). Flannigan was 6'5" but often injured and replaced by who? Grey Ruegamer (6'4" 299#).

One other thing, Scott Wells did play guard for the Green Bay Packers so there goes the argument he can't play guard.

If only we had 5 Wells, we would be unstoppable. It's really too bad how little time Rodgers had had to throw the ball and how few yards we've gained on the ground due to the poor play on the O-line this preseason. Some think Rodgers terrible numbers are just a result of him being an average QB. I think Spitz is the real reason. You're right. This whole situation is laughable.

red
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM

i don't know what wells is listed at, but its probably more then he really is

the guy is small, after seeing him walk by me in person last year i thought it was just some random guy off the streets

Waldo
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM

i don't know what wells is listed at, but its probably more then he really is

the guy is small, after seeing him walk by me in person last year i thought it was just some random guy off the streets

Wells said that he weighed 285-290 last season, and that he is up to about 300 right now. Spitz supposedly is in the 310 range.

It isn't their weight, it is the way they play. Wells is a smart technician that rarely loses. Spitz is a scrappy brawler that sometimes wins. Spitz' highs are better than Wells' highs, his lows are worse than Wells' lows. Likewise this is how it is with Spitz and Sitton at G.

When they all have a good play, this is our best alignment. It can dominate. But they are going to be more mistake prone than the other option.

The gamble is that the mistakes will go away with time, and that this group will reach its potential and become consistently dominant.

Fritz
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Let's see if Ted can pull off a trade of a guy he otherwise would cut.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2009, 01:21 PM
The biggest no-brainer off season move in the NFL this year is Brandon Marshall to the Bears. IMO.

hoosier
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
The biggest no-brainer off season move in the NFL this year is Brandon Marshall to the Bears. IMO.

Yeah, trade him for Jay Cutler.

Fritz
09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Doh!

Merlin
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I just don't get the logic that because the line doesn't suck as bad with Spit @ Center and not Guard that the guy automatically is the starting Center. HELLO - maybe Spitz isn't all that good period! It's excruciating to see the same mistakes being made with this offensive line @ guard. I am starting to think that replacing our two pro-bowl tackles is easier - we seemingly have one replaced and another servicable backup. Playing guard in the NFL is probably the easiest of the 3 line positions. You block, you pull, and you ALWAYS have someone on either side of you to help. I played guard in grade school and I was a runt amongst the giants and I had no problem taking on much larger defensive lineman. Of course I am not saying that grade school football is the NFL but the basic premise is the same - BLOCK SOMEONE!

mraynrand
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I played guard in grade school ....

:oops:

red
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM

do the bears have anything to trade after the cutler trade?

if they do, then i totally agree that they should be trying to get him

sheepshead
09-02-2009, 05:23 PM

do the bears have anything to trade after the cutler trade?

if they do, then i totally agree that they should be trying to get him

I dont think they have the cap space for one. anyway--shhhhhh