PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Jagodzinski Fired

KYPack
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
By Pat Yasinskas
ESPN.com
Archive
TAMPA, Fla. -- In a stunning move 10 days before the start of the regular season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have dismissed offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

Jags is nuts. He's had 3 great jobs in the past few years and skipped around and lost all of 'em.

Update (to a story nobody really cares about?)

They tried to demote him.

"I was given the chance to remain on staff as the quarterbacks coach, but felt that the timing for such a move was not in the best interest for either side. I appreciate the opportunity that was given to me. Again, I wish nothing but the best for this organization."

How's that ZBS doing, Jeff?

Cheesehead Craig
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
The guy seems to think the grass is greener somewhere else. I bet he was looking for another job for after this season, TB got wind of it and just canned the guy.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
The guy seems to think the grass is greener somewhere else. I bet he was looking for another job for after this season, TB got wind of it and just canned the guy.

Could be.

Jags doesn't play well with others. The new guy in TB is trying to build a staff. Jags might have been a square peg in a round hole down there.

Jeff has a pretty funky resume right now. Might be tough to catch a new gig.

Fritz
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I had that sense when he was here. Although the organization always tried to put a good face on it, he seemed to be a quirky, persnickety person. Tough to describe or nail down how so, but his weird hiring at BC, his even weirder departure so he could interview for the Jets' job - was that a mere year later? - and now his dismissal in TB - odd duck, this one.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Could be.

Jags doesn't play well with others. The new guy in TB is trying to build a staff. Jags might have been a square peg in a round hole down there.

Jeff has a pretty funky resume right now. Might be tough to catch a new gig.

There are some down on their luck college programs that might take a flier on him

Scott Campbell
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I had that sense when he was here. Although the organization always tried to put a good face on it, he seemed to be a quirky, persnickety person. Tough to describe or nail down how so, but his weird hiring at BC, his even weirder departure so he could interview for the Jets' job - was that a mere year later? - and now his dismissal in TB - odd duck, this one.

I knew about his weird departure at BC. What's the story on his hiring there?

Fritz
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I here the University of Phoenix has an opening.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM

There is a tale there, SC.

Morris, the new, young TB coach, is doing some wierd shit. Olsen was retained from the old staff as QB coach. Jags was hired on as OC. Then Morris approached Jags to take a DEMOTION that would make Olsen the new OC. Jags refused and now Olsen is the OC, preumably with no QB coach.

Morris in 33 and just turned 33. He was only a position coach before his promotion to HC. It's early, but it looks like the job is getting away from him.

pbmax
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
There go those elusive secrets to the ZBS again. When will people learn? :lol:

hoosier
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I can summarize Jags's future in two words: Al Davis.

mraynrand
09-03-2009, 12:32 PM
It's time to stop the madness in Tampa and bring in a veteran, proven coach

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/steckel.jpg

KYPack
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
It's time to stop the madness in Tampa and bring in a veteran, proven coach

My favorite shitty coach.

Do ya want more or less Steckel?

Merlin
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM

"persnickety" awesome word!~

Badgerinmaine
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, that's what Boston College did...just sounds to me like the coaches couldn't get along.

Noodle
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Jags was the source for a lot of the "Sherman can't work with others" stories, wasn't he?

So I'm wondering if maybe, when Jags was pointing a finger at Shermy, there were three pointing back at himself.

Fritz
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Maybe it's not a big story, but he - if I remember correctly - was not the front runner there, and his hiring was rather sudden and surprising. It was whispered that his friendship with the BC AD was a big factor, and though most Eagles fans were pleased, there was kind of a "huh?" factor since Jags was not the front runner.

Waldo
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Jags was the source for a lot of the "Sherman can't work with others" stories, wasn't he?

So I'm wondering if maybe, when Jags was pointing a finger at Shermy, there were three pointing back at himself.

Jagz was in Atl when Sherman was in GB. MM hired Jagz when he came to GB.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Jagz was in Atl when Sherman was in GB. MM hired Jagz when he came to GB.

No

Shermie sent him to Atlanta from the Packers staff.

Jags was a holdover from Ray Ray's regime in GB in '99.

Rhodes and most of his staff was fired after that season, but Sherman kept Jagodzinski until 2003 when he was released.

Jags went to Atlanta and worked with uber line coach Alex Gibbs.

Then he came back to GB to be OC with MM, who was RR's QB coach in '99

CaptainKickass
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
From here:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090903/PKR01/90903058/1058

Jagodzinski twice was a member of the Green Bay Packers' coaching staff. The West Allis native was tight ends coach on Mike Sherman's staff from 1999 to 2003, then was offensive coordinator on Mike McCarthy's staff in 2006.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
This from PFT,

Confirms my suspicions about Jags nwhen he was here. he was a glorified line coach. MM put in the O & called all the plays. Jags was the 'ZBS guru".

Quote on

"Jags" had very little experience calling plays, something that Steve Logan normally did for him at Boston College. (Logan is now in Tampa as a running backs coach and will remain there.) The Bucs reportedly grew concerned that Jagodzinski knew how to install a zone blocking running scheme on the team, but not much else.

"Sometime during training camp, it became increasingly apparent to Bucs officials and players, that Jagodzinski was not equipped to install and direct an NFL offense," writes Rick Stroud.

The team reportedly believed Jagozinski lacked "sophistication" when it came to various aspects of the passing game. Coach Raheem Morris spoke about the decision Thursday.

"Coach Jag came in and I have a lot of respect for him,'' Morris said. "But we're at the point
now where we have to be more precise and we need to be more detailed and we need to have more direction to where we're going to go. And we just didn't have it right now for whatever reason. That's about as detailed as I can get on it.''

Quote off

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
KY,

When you say "lost them all" you are making a negative implication. Jags didn't lose the GB job, he moved on to a HC position. Nothing strange about that.

BC: There was a ton of stuff going on there..one of which was BC's commitment to winning. Jags didn't feel they really had it. He could have stayed, but forced their hand.

TB: This one is the only strange one, but prolly can be explained away. Many already feel raheem is over his head, and is only a stopgap hiring..get the cheap guy till the coach they want is ready.

For all we know, raheem felt threatened by jags...could jags take over if i falter kinda thing. Doesn't really matter though....as refusing a demotion isn't going to be hard to explain.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's assesment of his personality, but simply saying that let's not group each of these situations together.

mraynrand
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Begs question: Who is the coach TB really wants?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Begs question: Who is the coach TB really wants?

Who knows, but there are a couple of "retired" coaches that many want when they are ready to coach again...shanny, holmgren, cowher, etc.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
KY,

When you say "lost them all" you are making a negative implication. Jags didn't lose the GB job, he moved on to a HC position. Nothing strange about that.

BC: There was a ton of stuff going on there..one of which was BC's commitment to winning. Jags didn't feel they really had it. He could have stayed, but forced their hand.

TB: This one is the only strange one, but prolly can be explained away. Many already feel raheem is over his head, and is only a stopgap hiring..get the cheap guy till the coach they want is ready.

For all we know, raheem felt threatened by jags...could jags take over if i falter kinda thing. Doesn't really matter though....as refusing a demotion isn't going to be hard to explain.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's assesment of his personality, but simply saying that let's not group each of these situations together.

Somewhat guilty as charged, Ty.

ALL isn't fair, there were some special situations.

He WAS shitcanned from some of those jobs.

Tell ya the truth, I'm pissed at Jags. He ws gonna come in here and install the ZBS and jumpcharge our running game. instead of taking 4 yrs, Jags and his magic ZBS beans were gonna have us runnin' in 2.

Then he got his "Deam job' so he split.
Then he left his dream job and took the same gig he had here.
& got fired from it.

i think he's a goofy guy from Mil & I'm glas he's clear of here.

It still took 4 years to build that line, man.

Fritz
09-03-2009, 05:08 PM
KY,

Tell ya the truth, I'm pissed at Jags. He ws gonna come in here and install the ZBS and jumpcharge our running game. instead of taking 4 yrs, Jags and his magic ZBS beans were gonna have us runnin' in 2.

& got fired from it.

What he said.

Noodle
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks, KY and Captain, for watching my back. Us Old Timers need to stand up to these whip-smart youngsters every now and then just to show 'em we're still alive and kicking.

Now it's time for my nap, just as soon as I tell those damn kids to get the hell off my yard.

But before I go, this is for Waldo's edification, from an old AP story (and Waldo, please know you have nothing but my respect for the high quality of your posts):

Jeff Jagodzinski coached the tight ends in Green Bay from 1999-2003 before Sherman fired him. Jagodzinski landed on his feet just fine, coaching Atlanta's tight ends a year ago, then being promoted to the Falcons' offensive line coach this off-season.

Jagodzinski said the difference in coaching under Jim Mora Jr. and Sherman is night and day.

"Coaching's fun again. And at the end, it wasn't in Green Bay," said Jagodzinski, a Wisconsin native who attended UW-Whitewater. "In Atlanta, your opinion matters. And the thing is nobody's afraid to make a suggestion. In Green Bay, a lot of guys bite their tongues on a lot of things.

"Right now, everybody's involved in the decision process and your opinion matters. And if you're in an organization, you want to feel that you're a part of it. And when you don't have any decision-making responsibilities or they don't take your suggestions or whatever, that's frustrating."

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 07:39 PM
KY,

& got fired from it.

Only shitcanned from TB.

I paid a lot of attention to BC situation, and it was a bad situation. Remember. winning is what people will look at..and he won big time there.

ZBS: I hear you. That i'm with you 100 percent.

Lastly, using Stroud to back an argument about Jags ability is below you. Stroud is a joke, and he is touting the company line......as he should if he wants access. Think about how many times we criticize our reporters....no way should we be using their beat writers to prove a point.

I'm sorry, but the whole, incompentent..not capable...that just smells fishy.

mission
09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
He sounds like a whiney bitch there, Noodle...

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 07:54 PM

He isn't talking about MM, he is talking about shermie. I got a feeling he is right about shermie.

Noodle
09-03-2009, 08:09 PM

That's how it struck me at the time. In my view, you go to a new job and just keep your mouth shut about the old one. So I thought it was odd he would say that, even if true.

Now I'm thinking maybe the reason Shermie didn't listen to him was because he didn't know what the frig he was talking about.

mission
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM

That's how it struck me at the time. In my view, you go to a new job and just keep your mouth shut about the old one. So I thought it was odd he would say that, even if true.

Now I'm thinking maybe the reason Shermie didn't listen to him was because he didn't know what the frig he was talking about.

Exactly. Do your job. However your employer outlines it.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 08:12 PM

He coached BC to a bowl. Sherman is floundering at Texas A&M.

Not that i'm on the Jags bandwagon, but we rehired him here.

pbmax
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't know. The reporter (regardless of his leanings) clearly is writing from team sources, so we haven't gotten Jags side of the story yet.

Jags does have typical experience compared to Holmgren developed O coordinators. Sherman and Reid were line coaches by trade who moved to TE coaches to learn the West Coast passing game.

Jags had two years at BC as OC and Line coach (previously was RB and Line coach), probably similar to his experience under McCarthy. Then 4 years in a West Coast under Sherman as TE coach. I think his two years in Atlanta were under Mora Jr., who was also running a West Coast offense.

If he didn't know the passing game, then he blew several opportunities. But regardless of that, he resume does look like he has a screw loose.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know. The reporter (regardless of his leanings) clearly is writing from team sources, so we haven't gotten Jags side of the story yet.

Jags does have typical experience compared to Holmgren developed O coordinators. Sherman and Reid were line coaches by trade who moved to TE coaches to learn the West Coast passing game.

Jags had two years at BC as OC and Line coach (previously was RB and Line coach), probably similar to his experience under McCarthy. Then 4 years in a West Coast under Sherman as TE coach. I think his two years in Atlanta were under Mora Jr., who was also running a West Coast offense.

If he didn't know the passing game, then he blew several opportunities. But regardless of that, he resume does look like he has a screw loose.

I have to agree mostly. But, i don't know about screw. Leaving BC doesn't make him look bad...bad situation and he can say i just wanted to return to the pros.

As for the Bucs, agreed. We are getting one side. Actually, when you list his resume, i think he comes out better than you think. TB looks like morons for hiring a guy who couldn't do the job. If he was that bad why did they hire him...what sort of vetting, refs, etc. And, 1 week before the season. Couldn't install the offense or run it. C'mon. Sounds like something al davis would concoct.

Like i said, i'm not on his bandwagon, have no skin in the game, but this tb thing smells.

KYPack
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
KY,

& got fired from it.

Only shitcanned from TB.

I paid a lot of attention to BC situation, and it was a bad situation. Remember. winning is what people will look at..and he won big time there.

Lastly, using Stroud to back an argument about Jags ability is below you. Stroud is a joke, and he is touting the company line......as he should if he wants access. Think about how many times we criticize our reporters....no way should we be using their beat writers to prove a point.

I'd say we are about done here, but dept.......

Ty, he did get canned from 3 jobs. GB the 1st time. BC and TB today.

One of my things with the BC gig is I wouldn't leave the BC gig unless I had a top OC job or an NFL HC job IN HAND. I feel his going to interview when being told NO was a lame move & I still do. That BC job is a great place to coach and why he pissed on it the way he did is a big ass mystery to me.

I totally (no shit) have no idea who Stroud is and why my mentioning this guy would be below me, I don't get. There is a lotta shit that is totally below me and I do 'em all the time. I was told my actions at an NFL pre-season game tonite were below me & I was actually proud of what I did. So that won't even stop me.

This a cool, fun thread. If you bastards wanna keep arguing, have at it. I have a boner for Jags and this discussion is a great "venting tool" for me. I'm learning to be more in touch with my emotions and drink more shots, so let's keep it going.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-04-2009, 02:37 AM
KY,

& got fired from it.

Only shitcanned from TB.

I'd say we are about done here, but dept.......

Ty, he did get canned from 3 jobs. GB the 1st time. BC and TB today.

One of my things with the BC gig is I wouldn't leave the BC gig unless I had a top OC job or an NFL HC job IN HAND. I feel his going to interview when being told NO was a lame move & I still do. That BC job is a great place to coach and why he pissed on it the way he did is a big ass mystery to me.

I totally (no shit) have no idea who Stroud is and why my mentioning this guy would be below me, I don't get. There is a lotta shit that is totally below me and I do 'em all the time. I was told my actions at an NFL pre-season game tonite were below me & I was actually proud of what I did. So that won't even stop me.

This a cool, fun thread. If you bastards wanna keep arguing, have at it. I have a boner for Jags and this discussion is a great "venting tool" for me. I'm learning to be more in touch with my emotions and drink more shots, so let's keep it going.

Canned: I thought you meant last 3.

But, c'mon...coaches are fired all the time. And, again...he wasn't outright fired from tb...he was offered another position, which he refused..and then let go. Big difference. He could have stayed on..and then moved on. We have a similar instance right now with Chan Gailey.

BC...he wasn't fired, he got himself fired. He pushed it because he wanted out. There were differences tween him and the AD about the future and the program. Jags went on the interview knowing he wasn't even a top choice. It is like suicide by cop.

And, it is ridiculous to tell a coach they can't even interview. While i think it is crazy, it pretty much is the standard in coaching.

In fact there were many who speculated that it would be hard to find a coach for BC because of what went down..Defillipo even addressed that issue.

There was something else going on at BC...and i think even you can see that...otherwise, why did O'brien leave for NC State after 10 years at BC? Cmon...you gotta give me a little credit for making that point. :wink:

Stroud: because he is a beat writer and is a tool for management. Hell, our beat writers dont' get shit right and you are gonna use him. He was telling only one side of the story.

Look, jags may well be an ass...but, something else is definitely going on. He was OC for us, HC for BC whose offense was high flying under Matt Ryan, he was in place for awhile..and now, one week b4 the season...boom he is a problem....he can't coach. Smells pretty fishy.

pbmax
09-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Ty, outside of how it ended, what else was going on at BC? The feedback I heard (limited and not connected closely to the situation) was that the best thing that happened with Jags was keeping Matt Ryan. But he clearly had assembled a good defense. Why the hullabaloo?

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
While he may have been part of some success, given he's had 3 jobs in just over 3.5 years is more a reflection on him than situations where he was at. Amazing how there was always something wrong with where he was working during that time. That's a lot of coincidences he's had lately.

KYPack
09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, I give up on the core argument. We've all basically said our piece on this one.

I am pissed at Jags for the reasons indicated in my previous posts. I should say here that Jags is, in fact, a brilliant young coach. How do I know? Well, I don't, per se. I think he is because Alex Gibbs took him in under his wing in Atlanta and taught him all there is to know about his blocking scheme. Gibbs doesn't do that.

There is a hierachy of coaches. There are decent coaches, solid guys, great coaches, and, at the top, the geniuses. What makes a coach a "genius"? They invent shit. They look at the game, spot some areas of opportunity and put in a new way of doing things. They invent a totally new way of playing the game and stick with it thru all kinds of adversity. They stick with it thru times of failure bc they know what they are doing is sound and will enable their team to win. Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Sid Gillman, Fritz Shurmur and Alex Gibbs are such men. If any one of those guys went to a coaching clinic, they were swamped by dozens of fawning coaches, all of 'em trying to suck up just one tidbit of info to help their team. These guys look at problems and create totally new solutions.

Gibbs is such a man and he deemed Jags worthy of his tutelage. Jags took Gibbs plan and learned how to put it in. That has anointed Jags as a fast tracker in the coaching world. Gibbs saw something in the guy and felt he could do the job. Jags has taken Gibbs' blessing and parlayed it into some of the best jobs the coaching world has to offer. And somehow, pissed 'em all away.

That makes me wonder about the boy.

I'm pissed at the boy because he had it all by the balls. A Wisconsin boy who went to Whitewater was the OC of the Green Bay Packers. His buddy was the HC and they shared a vision. I think he should have stayed and helped 'em win and restored the greatness to GB. The OC of a Super Bowl champion gets HC offers. He could've been an NFL HC with a number of offers if he would have finished the dream that him and Mac shared. Hey, maybe he would have taken over as HC of the Packers some day.

Instead, he went on this bizarre odyssey & it makes little sense to me. I'm pissed at him for it. So are other people.

I'm sure it colors my perception of the situation, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Unbelievable.

Down goes Schonert
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 11:47 AM ET

They say things happen in threes.

This week, three NFL offensive coordinators have been fired.

A league source tells us that the Bills have dumped offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, ten days before the team's season opener on Monday Night Football against the Patriots.

The move isn't completely shocking, in large part because we've been softened up for it a bit by the abrupt reassignment of Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and the sudden dismissal of Bucs offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

But the Bills' offense struggled in the preseason, and coach Dick Jauron likely realized that, if he didn't find a way to turn things around quickly, it would be Dick Jauron getting the shoe along with Schonert, and everyone else.

UPDATE: We're told that the new offensive coordinator will be quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Ty, outside of how it ended, what else was going on at BC? The feedback I heard (limited and not connected closely to the situation) was that the best thing that happened with Jags was keeping Matt Ryan. But he clearly had assembled a good defense. Why the hullabaloo?

I can't exactly recall, but it was clear that Jags wanted out.

Like i posted, O'brien left after 10 years...to go to NC State...that tells me a ton..cause NC is not a good program, not anywhere as good as what O'brien had built at BC.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
While he may have been part of some success, given he's had 3 jobs in just over 3.5 years is more a reflection on him than situations where he was at. Amazing how there was always something wrong with where he was working during that time. That's a lot of coincidences he's had lately.

3 jobs.

He left us to get a HC. Are you suggesting that should be viewed negatively.

Some guys are just movers..like Larry Brown.

Guiness
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
But the 3 jobs in 3.5 years....

I can't see a team being too keen on offering him a position where they'd want some continuity. A positional coach, maybe, but OC, OL or HC? I don't see it.

Back to the college ranks, in a non top tier program, or QB coach somewhere if you ask me. Not that anyone is!

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

3 jobs.

As soon as he shows the kind of success that Larry's had, then we can start the comparison.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM

3 jobs.

As soon as he shows the kind of success that Larry's had, then we can start the comparison.

As a head coach at BC..which is the only valid comaparison..he is pretty much the same...1st both years..2 bowl games.

:wink:

rbaloha1
09-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Jags was fired from Green Bay due to challenging Sherman use of the tight ends. Jags wanted to involve them more in the pass game but Sherman did not have confidence with tes pass catching capabilities.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM

3 jobs.

As a head coach at BC..which is the only valid comaparison..he is pretty much the same...1st both years..2 bowl games.

Yep, that's the same as decades of winning and national championships

KYPack
09-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Ty, do you have some sort of hometown connection to Jags?

Your defense of him seems "overly-rigorous".

Guiness
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Far be it for Tyronne just to be damn argumentative.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2009, 03:05 AM

3 jobs.

Yep, that's the same as decades of winning and national championships

national championships..ty thinks you need a remedial LB course. Only 1.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Ty, do you have some sort of hometown connection to Jags?

Your defense of him seems "overly-rigorous".

No. I just don't buy the bs about his "firings." I paid a ton of attention when he was going thru that shit at BC. And, there was some stuff definitely going on. There were rumors that the AD never wanted him really...and they had clashed.

Look, jags may indeed be an asshole, but something tells me that when you know you are gonna get fired and you arent' the really a candidate and you still insist on the interview...well, that tells me that you really want to leave. Something doesn't smell right, and it didn't smell right when O'brien left...that guy is a dang good coach. Why would he leave for NC State...NC freaking State. I can understand Miami or a dormant program, but NC State?

As for TB...that situation is a mess. Again, jags may be a an ass....but, they aren't labeling it as such...it is a technical ability issue. I just don't buy that. This is a guy who was our OC, who had a high flyin offense at BC...with Steve logan (who by the way left BC this year), was hired by Brock and 1 week before the season is canned. C'mon.

I'm not defending Jags..i'm just looking a bit deeper than the "jags is an ass...3 jobs in 3.5 years" story.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Far be it for Tyronne just to be damn argumentative.

Please try to talk about the subject. These type of personal attacks are not warranted...and more to the point, not necessary.

KY asked me a qeustion..not you.