PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Plumber In The House?

pbmax
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
OK. Sink is clear now, but I still have a question.

Kitchen sink backed up. Situation had existed for 2.5 days as of this morning. You can fill it with the tap, but it takes time, so blockage is not close to drains (double drain sink). It will drain slowly, very slowly, can take a couple of hours.

Bailed it. Added Liguid Plumber Gel for the recommended time then ran hot water. No dice. Did it two more times, last time I doubled the dose and waited twice as long as the instructions mentioned. Still no improvement.

Pulled both traps. Dirty, but not clogged. Pulled the pipe cleanout plug and used a short auger (4 feet - meant more for toliets) and met no resistance except a 90 degree bend. No clogs. Put back together and tested. Same blockage.

Went to basement to see if another cleanout plug was available further into the line. Had assistant tap the pipe so I could trace it. Found pipe in basement ceiling and no cleanout plug. Its a good 20 to 30 feet of distance from kitched sink to meeting up with very large vertical pipe that is clearly NOT clogged as it receives the bathroom water and the bathroom is fine.

There were no other water drainage sources involved or affected during the entire episode.

15 minutes ago the sink drained fast with sucking sound. Ran hot water for 10 minutes one side, 5 minutes the other and it seems back to normal.

Question: Should I still either buy the 30 foot drain auger from Ace Hardware or perhaps shell out $150 for a plumber or did I just get lucky?

mraynrand
09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
You got lucky. The clog moved into the larger pipe and is gone. One of the kids is going to missing a toy, like a barbie doll or something that size. Or your hamster has mysteriously vanished....