PDA

View Full Version : Where's Them Contract Extensions?

Fritz
09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Before training camp began, there was some talk here at 'Rats about possible contract extensions - names prominently mentioned were Kampman, Collins, Colledge, and Spitz.

Some people felt that training camp would provide Teets (I don't know why but I like that nickname for Thompson) with an opportunity to monitor Colledge's development, Kampman's transition to linebacker, and Collins's adjustment to the 3-4.

Well, here we are. Camp is over. Who should be rewarded with extensions, who should sit and simmer, and whom should the Packers allow to walk at season's end?

Lurker64
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Colledge is the number one priority for an extension. He's our best offensive lineman and he's versatile. Collins is probably #2, though maybe Spitz comes before Collins as his deal will be simpler. Kampman probably gets tagged in the wost case scenario, so he can wait behind some other guys.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Collins and Woodson need extensions. That way they look like Bigby and Harris.

pbmax
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Collins and Woodson need extensions. That way they look like Bigby and Harris. :rs:

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Collins and Woodson need extensions. That way they look like Bigby and Harris.

good one

Waldo
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't expect any action on that front until Monday at the earliest. They are busy with something else right now.

I best we see at least 1 or 2 in the next week or two though.

Time to lock up DC before Cliffy has a chance of getting hurt, and DC becoming 2x as expensive. Starting LT money ain't pretty. We can sign him to mid-high starting LG money right now.

I'd expect Spitz, Collins, and Pickett then to be the next order of business.

A restructuring of Drivers contract is going to come soon too. Next year is a dummy year for him, he looks good and doesn't appear to have lost a step at all. Add another year or two. Jones will be cheaper then when he needs a new deal.

RashanGary
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't expect any action on that front until Monday at the earliest. They are busy with something else right now.

I agree. As soon as the final 53 is to his liking, he can start working on extensions.

Time to lock up DC before Cliffy has a chance of getting hurt, and DC becoming 2x as expensive. Starting LT money ain't pretty. We can sign him to mid-high starting LG money right now.

Agree again. Colledge has looked great this preseason. He had a damn good year last year and looks even better now.

Agree again, although I think there is a chance we franchise Collins next year.

A restructuring of Drivers contract is going to come soon too. Next year is a dummy year for him, he looks good and doesn't appear to have lost a step at all. Add another year or two. Jones will be cheaper then when he needs a new deal.

I don't agree here. Let Donald's deal run out. Even if he hasn't lost a step yet, after two more years he surely will. I'd be perfectly happy with Jennings, Jones, Nelson and whoever else Ted digs up between now and then. Spend the money on a position of greater need.

pbmax
09-04-2009, 07:31 PM

I wonder if the looming uncapped CBA year might cause them to be hesitant? I'm not sure it would, because investments aside, it might be possible for the Packers to spend MORE money in a non cap environment than currently.

pbmax
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
The only quibble I have is that I think T2 waits on Pickett to see if Raji holds up and can play the nose. If he can demonstrate that, then his offer to Pickett goes down. Otherwise, it would be easier to meet Ryan's expectations.

SnakeLH2006
09-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Before training camp began, there was some talk here at 'Rats about possible contract extensions - names prominently mentioned were Kampman, Collins, Colledge, and Spitz.

Some people felt that training camp would provide Teets (I don't know why but I like that nickname for Thompson) with an opportunity to monitor Colledge's development, Kampman's transition to linebacker, and Collins's adjustment to the 3-4.

Well, here we are. Camp is over. Who should be rewarded with extensions, who should sit and simmer, and whom should the Packers allow to walk at season's end?

Colledge can suck my nuts. Spitz and Collins...sign please.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Conspicuously missing from the posts above is the name Kampman.

No? No interest? Or let him be to see how he plays?

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 08:39 AM

The Kampman situation is, I think, the easiest. If he plays well, extend him during the bye week. If he struggles making the adjustment, you tag him and trade him.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM

The Kampman situation is, I think, the easiest. If he plays well, extend him during the bye week. If he struggles making the adjustment, you tag him and trade him.

If Collins contract get sticky, who do you use the tag on then?

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 08:53 AM

I don't agree here. Let Donald's deal run out. Even if he hasn't lost a step yet, after two more years he surely will. I'd be perfectly happy with Jennings, Jones, Nelson and whoever else Ted digs up between now and then. Spend the money on a position of greater need.

I think Waldo's got it right. I believe Driver's salary close to doubles next year to something like $7M. That's a ton of money for an aging #2. If nothing gets done before the end of the season, I expect he'll be asked to restructure, or will be released. It would be better to deal with it now.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Can you use 2 - one franchise and one transition?

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Exactly my question. Can you??

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Next year, in absence of a CBA extension, you can use three IIRC.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Say, speaking of contracts, where's MM in his?

Waldo
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Guys that are Drivers age/stature don't get a lot of guaranteed money. As long as there is a fair deal in place for his level of quality, the team will keep him around. He can easily ride it to 4th WR status before the team lets him go (a la Rod Smith). The key though is fair contract. Marvin Harrison would still be a Colt if he was only slated to make a million or two.

Driver is slated to make more than 7M next year. As much as Greg. The team will cut him before letting him earn that. Al Harris' last extension tacked on a small amount of extra money up front for extra years at a declining rate down the line. $$ will not be the reason Al is cut. By paycheck he is expected to be our nickel CB next year, not starter.

The kind of thing I am envisioning is something along the lines of:

Currently:
2009 - 5.5M
2010 - 7.2M
2011 - FA

My guess (something along the lines of):
2009 - 6M
2010 - 4.5M
2011 - 3.5M

Which really is a pay cut/extension, not a raise. A year is tacked on, and he gets a little extra up front this year, but the yearly value declines.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Guys that are Drivers age/stature don't get a lot of guaranteed money. As long as there is a fair deal in place for his level of quality, the team will keep him around. He can easily ride it to 4th WR status before the team lets him go (a la Rod Smith). The key though is fair contract. Marvin Harrison would still be a Colt if he was only slated to make a million or two.

Driver is slated to make more than 7M next year. As much as Greg. The team will cut him before letting him earn that. Al Harris' last extension tacked on a small amount of extra money up front for extra years at a declining rate down the line. $$ will not be the reason Al is cut. By paycheck he is expected to be our nickel CB next year, not starter.

The kind of thing I am envisioning is something along the lines of:

Currently:
2009 - 5.5M
2010 - 7.2M
2011 - FA

My guess (something along the lines of):
2009 - 6M
2010 - 4.5M
2011 - 3.5M

Which really is a pay cut/extension, not a raise. A year is tacked on, and he gets a little extra up front this year, but the yearly value declines.

He'd be a fool not to jump all over that. Nobody will pay him $7M next year.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Nah, not gonna happen. He's not going to take that deal, doesn't have to.

Waldo
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Depends if he understands the reality that the Packers will surely cut him after this season instead of paying his roster bonus next year, if he doesn't restructure.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I look at Waldo's prediction and Nick's and I am a bit torn.

What is to stop TT taking a guy like DD and saying "you know what, we'll play out your contract, 'cause you are a true Packer great. You deserve every penny. Anybody who does what you did for this franchise will not be cut".

I wish he would do something like that.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Unless Jennings goes down and Donald goes off for 1500 yards this season, he won't see that $7M in 2010.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM

If you're Ted, you can't let your personal feelings for the guy cloud your business judgment.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I think you're right, SC. But, I think it's good business to have positive examples.

Hey, but I don't run the franchise.

Waldo
09-05-2009, 12:18 PM

What is to stop TT taking a guy like DD and saying "you know what, we'll play out your contract, 'cause you are a true Packer great. You deserve every penny. Anybody who does what you did for this franchise will not be cut".

I wish he would do something like that.

The Colts cut Marvin Harrison over $$, the Rams cut Tory Holt over $$. Don't think that Driver is immune.

He doesn't need to be cut. He needs a contract in-line with his contributions. He is still a #2/high end slot receiver. While that isn't worth #1 WR money, it is still worth some bank.

With a pay cut/extension he still would get more money, because the team would keep him around longer.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 12:27 PM
If I was Driver, I'd rather get cut and then let all the teams desperate for WR's bid on me. He'll be 34 next year. He's still good, not injured, not dropping (like Harrison/Holt), not making 10 mil+ like Harrison/Holt. He'll get bidders.

I could easily see him getting a 3 year deal worth 16 million and 7 of it in the first year (signing/roster bonuses).

No need for him to take less than 7 next year.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Aging wide receivers are not worth 7 mill a year. You can say, right now, that Driver is still playing at a high level, but there is no way to know if he'll do so this season. If he does, there's no way to know if or for how long he could keep that up.

Marvin Harrison, after all, didn't begin to fade until he began to fade.

Just cuz we like the Donald and think he's different doesn't mean he really is. Unless you're Benjamin Button, you're aging.

Waldo
09-05-2009, 01:43 PM
If I was Driver, I'd rather get cut and then let all the teams desperate for WR's bid on me. He'll be 34 next year. He's still good, not injured, not dropping (like Harrison/Holt), not making 10 mil+ like Harrison/Holt. He'll get bidders.

I could easily see him getting a 3 year deal worth 16 million and 7 of it in the first year (signing/roster bonuses).

You are nuts if you think Driver will get more than high end #2 money in FA (3-4M).

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 01:51 PM
He'll be 34 next year.

He turns 35 in February.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 01:52 PM

You are nuts if you think Driver will get more than high end #2 money in FA (3-4M).

And with Jones and Jordy behind him, he has less leverage than most players of his age and ability.

The bottom line is that he isn't worth that kind of dough.