PDA

View Full Version : Raji

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Anybody hear how bad his ankle is hurt? I'm a bit worried. McCarthy said last night that they'd know more in the morning, and we haven't heard anything.

Kiwon
09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
You don't have MM on speed dial? I thought you two were close.

Let's hope that no news is good news.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 07:12 AM
I haven't heard anything, but just going off what we saw, what MM has said so far and what we know about injuries, I think we can narrow it down a little.

1. Raji has an ankle injury
2. According to MM it's not serious, so it's probably a sprain
3. Ankle sprains can take anywhere from a week to 8 weeks to play on
4. Raji's looked like a pretty bad sprain based on how much pain he was in
5. Raji is really young and that is in his favor when recovering
6. Raji doesn't have a history of missing a lot of time

My first guess would have been 4 weeks out. Raji is young and has been pretty durable so far in his young career. I'm guessing 2 weeks out.

arcilite
09-05-2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090904/PKR01/90904146/1058

Raji on pace to play in opener

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:03 AM

All speculation. I don't buy it. Maybe Raji is a really fast healer, but I think the smart thing would be to let that ankle get right before putting 340 lbs on it.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM

All speculation. I don't buy it.

And you wish to wager how much, Nick?

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't have a lot of money, but I'd bet either he doesn't play or he reaggrevates it if he does.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't have a lot of money, but I'd bet either he doesn't play or he reaggrevates it if he does.

Talk is cheap, money builds houses.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't think the press gazette knows anything. All they know is it's not serious. I agree it's not serious. He'll play this year, but a guy that size, the smart thing is going to be letting his ankle get right before they put him out there.

They played James Jones and Atari Bigby too early the last couple years. I can't guarantee what they'll do, but the smart thing is going to be letting his ankle heal. If they don't, and this thing lingers, it's not bad luck, it's bad decision making from MM.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM

Talk is cheap, money builds houses.

And stadiia. Public money.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Jarius Wynn is a good pass rusher. He can play all of the nickle/dime snaps for Raji, then spell Jenkins a little bit in base downs so Jenkins doesn't have to play all game.

It hurts our defense. I hated to see Raji go down, but it's not time to compound the bad luck by responding with bad, desperate decisions.

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting this. Having sprained a lot of ankles in my day, I know that all but the very worst recover in no more than 48 hours of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). There are some unusual ankle sprains you can get (the dreaded "high ankle sprain"), but Raji's injury seemed pretty ordinary to me from what I saw.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 09:18 AM
We open against the Bears. Rub some dirt on it and get your ass out there.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
We open against the Bears. Rub some dirt on it and get your ass out there.

BOMNF!!!!

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Sprained Ankle heals - less than 10 days

Sprained ankles can heal in 7-10 days, but most doctors will tell you that it takes 4-6 weeks. Of course, this all depends on how severe the sprain is.

The 4-6 week time period is the taking the most conservative approach which is basically not doing anything other than letting nature take its course.

If a person wants to accelerate the rehab process there are proven methods available to do that which reduce healing time to 7-10 days.

The methods involve reducing swelling in the injured ankle fast by immersion in ice water bath followed by movement. Once the swelling has gone down, then strengthening of the ankle can begin using any one of several recognized rehab techniques.

It is recommended that during the rehab process, everybody should wear a lace up ankle brace to prevent further injury and provide peace of mind.

Protection of the injured ankle can be increased even more by taping first and then adding a lace up ankle brace.

A search for ankle taping video on any of the major search engines should give you specific instructions about how to tape a sprained ankle.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Somewhere, Vince Lombardi is spinning 'round and 'round.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2009, 09:43 AM

I like that quote from Paul Hornug, or whoever, "Lombardi doesn't believe in hamstrings."

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
He has a chance. Jolly had an ankle early in camp. It took him 3+ weeks if I remember correctly. Sure they could have rushed it, but they let it heal and now he's 100%.

I'd like to see Raji take a week off.

I'd mix up the rotation like this:

Jolly 100% of base, 60% sub (total of 80% snaps)
Pickett 100% base, 0% sub (total of 50% snaps)
Jenkins 100% base, 70% sub (total of 85% snaps)
Jarius Wynn 0% base, 70% sub (total of 35% snaps)

Then I'd bring Raji back in week 2 to take half of Wynn's snaps, then full time in week three. No reason to turn a 3 week injury into a 17 week problem like they did iwith JJ and Bigby.

Partial
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting this. Having sprained a lot of ankles in my day, I know that all but the very worst recover in no more than 48 hours of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). There are some unusual ankle sprains you can get (the dreaded "high ankle sprain"), but Raji's injury seemed pretty ordinary to me from what I saw.

You've clearly never had a bad ankle sprain. I still can barely push off from the dreaded snowboard incident of February.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2009, 10:23 AM

You've clearly never had a bad ankle sprain. I still can barely push off from the dreaded snowboard incident of February.

Damnit P, I told you - skiing is better.

pbmax
09-05-2009, 10:45 AM

I have had multiple ankle sprains from Grade 1 to Grade 3 (actual ligament tear) and in the case of the tear, many years ago before advances in treatment and PEDs were available to the common baseball player, I was in a cast for 6 weeks and fully rehabbed 6 weeks later.

If you are still suffering from an ankle sprain after from February (minimum 20 weeks) then you need to seek qualified medical treatment rather than voodoo.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM

I have had multiple ankle sprains from Grade 1 to Grade 3 (actual ligament tear) and in the case of the tear, many years ago before advances in treatment and PEDs were available to the common baseball player, I was in a cast for 6 weeks and fully rehabbed 6 weeks later.

If you are still suffering from an ankle sprain after from February (minimum 20 weeks) then you need to seek qualified medical treatment rather than voodoo.

Most of my ankle sprains occurred in junior high. :D

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Never sprained an ankle or broke a limb. My sporting career was screwed by something I never understood until this day: My shins. Something happened to the meat of my legs that would make the muscles swell and be crushed between the shin bone and whatever other bone is in the lower leg.

I played 3rd division rugby league which is one division off of semi pro, but we still had masseurs.. They had to pop what they called my "ligaments" back into place for me to even take the field. I loved the game, but I couldn't stand for three days after each outing.

I wish I could have had that cured. I would have captained Australia! 8-)

Mazzin
09-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Well partial, I doubt you have the medical staff that Raji has working on him. And besides no offense but I'm about %100 positive that Raji is a LITTLE bit tougher than you my friend. :wink:

Fritz
09-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a friend who used to play rugby in Toledo, Ohio.

What a brutal game. You must be one tough sumbitch, Tar.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 11:23 AM
If Raji's ankle sprain was just a mild twist, he wouldn't have been limping around like a gimp so I think it was more than minor. If it was major, I don't think MM would have lied and said it was not serious.

That leads me to believe it was an intermediate ankle sprain. The bad ones take 6-8 weeks. The really minor ones he'd be back in a few days to a week. This one, is in the middle, I'm thinking 2 weeks would be enough (although 3 would probably be ideal like with Jolly). Missing the Bear game would be the right thing to do, then ease him in to week 2 and full go in weeks 3-17.

With Jenkins and Kampman, we have two good pass rushers. We have a scheme that challenges protections schemes. Raji is a huge bonus. I want him here, but I also know we can get it done without him for a week. The real problem is going to come if he keeps aggravating it and then we lose him for many weeks. In that case, it would start to wear on our depth and could easily lead to more injuries, more fatigue and more losses. The right thing to do is to let this thing heal. We can beat the Bears without him and we can really be scary if we get him healthy and have him this year. Do the right thing, that's all I ask.

mraynrand
09-05-2009, 11:25 AM

We used to play 'rugby' in the federal pen. I never lost and I'm telling you that you never ever want to lose that game.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 11:29 AM
You must be one tough sumbitch, Tar.

Oh no way! I had a huge mouth, which is why I was captain of both my cricket and rugby teams. Just because I was loud and passionate.

I played hooker, which is the smallest guy on what we call the fowards, as opposed to what we call the backs. I measure about 6'3". And I was the "little guy".

But no way was I tough. I could take a hit and I tackled really really well, but, I wasn't anything compared to what is in your great game. I never got injured for any length. I mean, I could take a shot. But, when I see what goes on in the NFL, man, I was a never was.

But, I tell you, I am sure I could have played LB or TE in HS in the USA. We'll never know, but, I bet those positions would have been it.

And, after having met a few people, I would say I would love to have had Nutz as my QB and Skin as my Scatback.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM

We used to play 'rugby' in the federal pen. I never lost and I'm telling you that you never ever want to lose that game.

BOMNF! Are you making that shit up?

Rastak
09-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Never sprained an ankle or broke a limb. My sporting career was screwed by something I never understood until this day: My shins. Something happened to the meat of my legs that would make the muscles swell and be crushed between the shin bone and whatever other bone is in the lower leg.

I played 3rd division rugby league which is one division off of semi pro, but we still had masseurs.. They had to pop what they called my "ligaments" back into place for me to even take the field. I loved the game, but I couldn't stand for three days after each outing.

I can almost hear it now......

"Time is running out in this pivitol Tri Nations match, this will decide it all....the Wallabies are behind by 3 to the All Blacks.....ruck forms and Gregan pitches to Tarlam to the right, Loma misses, Tarlam with the dummy to Conners, he's free! Mehrtens chasing, Tarlam dives, it's a game winning try! His 4th of the day! Unbelieveable. The Wallabies have won the Tri Nations again behind the Wallabie captain Tarlam.

"Then he woke up.... :wink: "

Tarlam!
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Ras, I had a hard one until you mentioned me waking up.

Scott Campbell
09-06-2009, 07:55 AM
TMI

Rastak
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM

All speculation. I don't buy it.

And you wish to wager how much, Nick?

Gotta pull out the checkbook Tar.....

Freak Out
09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

I can almost hear it now......

"Time is running out in this pivitol Tri Nations match, this will decide it all....the Wallabies are behind by 3 to the All Blacks.....ruck forms and Gregan pitches to Tarlam to the right, Loma misses, Tarlam with the dummy to Conners, he's free! Mehrtens chasing, Tarlam dives, it's a game winning try! His 4th of the day! Unbelieveable. The Wallabies have won the Tri Nations again behind the Wallabie captain Tarlam.

"Then he woke up.... :wink: "

The damn all blacks....I have a good friend who is a Kiwi..nicest guy in the world but man does the fucker get annoying when the Kiwis are sailing in the Americas cup or the all blacks are playing.

sharpe1027
09-10-2009, 04:59 PM
He practiced in pads today...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Ankle sprains are not all created equal and it is not just "high-ankle" sprain versus the rest. I've too many sprains to count, most of them I was able to play through without missing any time. A few, however, kept me sidelined for a few weeks and they weren't high ankle, just really f-ed up tendons.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I stopped in here to read about Raji, and there is stuff about Kiwis and Wallabies, which I thought were some kinds of fruit and critter. Did the server crash and scramble data?

Tarlam!
09-11-2009, 12:57 AM

Maybe, Ras, but he might still play.

digitaldean
09-11-2009, 01:48 AM

Too bad, we could've seen you and your mates mocking the AB's doing the Haka....

Tarlam!
09-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Too bad, we could've seen you and your mates mocking the AB's doing the Haka....

Oh, you can. This is MUST SEE Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlGDa5mx28

EDIT: Sorry for all PR's that don't know what the Haka is. It is a traditional dance performed by Maoris before battle and used by the the dreaded All Blacks, New Zealand's Rugby Team. They are arguably the best team in the world. We Aussies have a phobia against playing them. A lot like GB playing the Cowboys.

But we hate losing to England even more. We just hate the English.

To see a REAL Haka check this out. I played the game and, let me tell you, if a team started out this way, I would have been intimidated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI&feature=fvw

SnakeLH2006
09-11-2009, 04:06 AM

What about Drew?

Rastak
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Maybe, Ras, but he might still play.

If he plays, I have to wipe all that egg off my face from that post.

KYPack
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Send a check to everybody on the forum, Ras.

There a recession on, we can use the money.

Played rugby for many years.

This is no "Tank tale", I was a fullback, 3/4 and scrum half in my latter years. it was a C level, city side, but we had our moments.

My Haka story took place at a big, wild tournament held in the end of summer at Rehoboth Beach, Del. We lost in the quarter finals to a team from W VA one year. Their star play was a huge Maori kid who was a junior all-black. Every team loads up with ringers and those guys got hold of him.

We adopted those guys and all went to their semi match. This kid taught 'em the Haka and lead 'em in it before their match. That shit is for real. Super intimidating. I've seen other teams try to do a version of it, but nobody can do it like a Kiwi, espec a Maori.

Tar, did you see the recent Tri Nations? The Kiwi's beat the Wallabies in a good match.

Fritz
09-12-2009, 06:31 PM
One of my second ex's aunts married a maori. Some beautiful yet crazy-ass people.

KYPack
09-12-2009, 06:36 PM
One of my second ex's aunts married a maori. Some beautiful yet crazy-ass people.

OK, I know it's true then.

Near as I can figure, Maori's are basically into Beer, violence, and sex. They are either passed out, smiling, or fighting all day. They don't fit into society too well, but they are made just right for rugby.

Rastak
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Just don't tell tar I'm a big All Blacks fan......

KYPack
09-12-2009, 06:47 PM

The Aussies and the AB's play my favorite brand of rugby. Hard hitting, wide open and the kicking done at the proper time. The fucking Springboks turn the game into a kicking contest.

My favorite team (other than the USA Eagles, of course) are those boys who proudly wear the silver fern on that all black kit.

Sorry, Tar.

(I'd put a smiley, but Nutz convinced me long ago Smiley's are for pussies only)

GrnBay007
09-12-2009, 06:50 PM
(I'd put a smiley, but Nutz convinced me long ago Smiley's are for pussies only)

:shock:

:butt:

:D

MJZiggy
09-12-2009, 06:56 PM

:shock:

:butt:

:D

I think you've missed a minor detail here... :P

GrnBay007
09-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I think you've missed a minor detail here... :P

I'm a lil off today....6 hrs. sitting in the sun watching baseball. Last weekend of fall ball. We are down to 1 sport for awhile now!! :D

:P

MOBB DEEP
09-12-2009, 07:45 PM

TOO...

KYPack
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM

TOO...

Erm, Mobb.

Do you understand what the "All Blacks" are?

HMMMM?

Big hint here. It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of skin.

MOBB DEEP
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM

TOO...

Erm, Mobb.

Do you understand what the "All Blacks" are?

HMMMM?

Big hint here. It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of skin.

I figured as much; i was just being silly....

Im startn to get a lil nervous. Did bears look bad at lambeau last year?